Point of no return

HadEnoughofJuju

A very good friend of mine, in Oz, told me today..."You will struggle at first, you will cry a lot, but you will live"

And in that moment, more than any other "moment" (we have many of those along the way) I knew that I would be ok. You will be too!!

Good luck on this last part of the journey, actually, this was just the approach lane...your journey only starts now! the exciting part begins...I really envy you guys, I think you are going to be blissfully happy!

good luck wiht the flights..I hope you get the first flight out...and here's to hope that they bump you to first class!

happy travels :congratulations:

• Like 3

Thinking of you and your family. Look forward to your future posts, hearing all about your new adventures. Well done and know God is with you, he will never let you go!

• Like 3

So excited for you guys! Can't believe how quick the time has gone. You have an amazing adventure ahead of you and lots of support from all of us to keep you going during the transition when you arrive.

I can imagine the feelings must be overwhelming, but hang in there, soon you will be enjoying every minute of your new life and you will be sharing all your fantastic times with all of us!

Safe travels, look after yourselves, and let us know when you're safe and sound......and happy! :)

• Like 2

See you this side. Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!

• Like 5

Bayley's have been packing all of our worldly possessions into boxes since Monday morning and today they finished, our house contents have been packed into the container and it is on it's way to the harbour to get loaded on to the next container ship to Brisbane. If we had any doubts or plans to stay in South Africa (which let me assure you we don't) it is now too late. We have gone past that yellow line on the runway and we are now in full swing. Tonight is our last night in the house that we have spent the last 13 years making our own. :cry: We have been doing the rounds this week and saying good bye to some close friends and some not so close friends and it has not been easy. :cry: We have our last appointment with some good friends tonight that are also contemplating this move so at least there is the hope that we will see them again one day and today is also my last day at work and I have not really been able to concentrate. :cry:

Suddenly and without warning the reality of what we are about to do is sinking in and making me feel very insecure and scared. We have nothing left here in South Africa now except our family. All our bank accounts are closed, we have cancelled our cell phone contracts, post box, water and lights and all our other stuff that needs cancelling. All we have now are our bags, Forex, air tickets, passports and the hope of a better future.

Our lives as we knew them are about to change for ever and I can only hope that this change is for the good and that we will be successful in Maroochydore. No one knows what lies ahead of us and that is both a very scary yet really awesome feeling. We are busy re-writing our futures which up until today were dismal and pathetic at best had we stayed behind and tried to make it work. I will say this again (and apologise for offending if that's the case), If you have got the opportunity (and I'm not just talking about money) to leave this country and give yourself and your children a better future, and you don't, then you won't get my sympathy. I feel tremendously sad for all those good people out there that have no choice but to stay. For South Africa and Africa in general, the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. It is going to take an absolute miracle to turn things around in this country to make it a safe and fair place to live.

This is most likely my last post for the next couple of days until we get to Brisbane and figure things out so please forgive me (and OYBR) if we do not respond or answer PM's. Internet access is limited and at this stage our blackberries have been turned into brickberries by Vodacom so we no longer have access to the forum on them either.

To all of those forumites that are still waiting for invitations, CO's to be assigned, medicals to be finalised, PCC's to come back and that final visa grant, good luck and we will be thinking of you all and keeping our fingers crossed that you will be able to join us in Australia soon. To everyone starting out on this process and that have IELTS and skills assessments ahead of you, good luck and I hope the road is smooth. I have learnt that everything has it's time and that no matter how much of a hurry you are in, you cannot change the timeline.

See you all on the other side.

HEOJuju

Im feeling exactly how you are feeling, its pretty normal mate, if we were not feeling like this we would not be normal human beings. Ive been watching your ups and downs getting to this stage - you put in the hard work and commitment and you are going to get everything back, I see you are one hell of a determined person and you will be successful at this adventure.

My packers came today and packed the last goods which will be joining my wifes lot at their terminal, also wnet through the pain of changing our miserable randts into the almighty AUS$ - shocking, shocking. We are saying our goodbyes next week and will be heading out on the 5th April - at least its not happening on the 1st April - because this is all true and no turning back like you say.

I at least have lived in Australia and have a good idea what to expect, for my wife it will be an adventure. Your little girl will be your driving force and at least you have your wife as a partner in this adventure. Hope to catch up with you one day after this Tsunami of emotions/stress is over.

Stay focussed and calm, look foward and keep on chasing that dream.

Cheers

• Like 2

I can imagine how nervous you all must be right now but those nerves will soon subside and pretty soon you'll settle in normal everyday life again!

All the best for the flight and I hope the settling in process is as uneventful as possible (in a good way).

We'll see you on the other side towards the end of the year :ilikeit:

• Like 2

All the best for you and your family - I'm really really glad that I met you and OYBR the other Sunday as both of you are such great people and have really inspired me and I have also gained such a lot of advice from you.

Safe travels and enjoy the adventure.

• Like 2

Wow guys, can't believe the time has come! Hope you can sleep tonight! Good luck with the flight and finally arriving at your destination! Can't wait to read your first post after you've arrived!

• Like 2

Ons wens julle alle sterkte toe. Julle is great mense en julle positiewe ingesteldheid en geloof (en die forum) sal jul dra. Groetnis.

• Like 2

Good luck Guys. Just go, be yourselves and be open to opportunity, the rest will follow.

• Like 2

Whoohoo! So exciting! Enjoy the adventure! :congratulations:

Cannot wait to hear about your experiences on this side!

:hug:

• Like 2

May your journey be safe and your new life everything that you have wished for!

• Like 3

Good luck guys, will chat when you get to the other side......this forum is a real eye opener in terms of what to expect on this adventure, process wise and emotionally wise, this is a goldmine of support, cant wait for our kids (Matt 6, Rachael 3) to have the freedom they deserve .......

• Like 1

Wow! I have been reading your posts from the beginning of your journey, and cannot believe that your time to leave SA is finally here. Your commitment to give your daughter a better, safer, brighter future is admirable, as is your courage. Good luck with saying your final goodbyes at the airport. The first few days are going to feel quite surreal and truly, the experience of being here is going to be like nothing you have ever felt in your life before. You will grow and learn and rejoice and cry. At the end of it all I know you will find happiness and success in Aus, because you really want to be here and you really want to create a beautiful story for your family. I look forward to following your journey on this side.

• Like 4

Cant believe you are up and away. Travel safe and all the best as you start your new life in Oz. You and OYBR deserve all the happiness.

• Like 2

Congrats you guys, will be holding thumbs. Chat when you get up and running hey ;)

• Like 2

After more than 12 hours (which felt more like a week) of travelling we finally arrived in Brisbane and were collected the airport by our good friends Eager2Go. It was a very long and tiring journey to say the least but we are here an we have Skype'd with our family already to let them know we are safe.

The airport was extremely emotional and heart braking for me. Initially we did not want anyone at the airport, to say goodbye to us but eventually gave in and allowed my wife's parents to come with us and see us off. We were sad in the beginning but when we went around that corner into the international departures and my daughter could no longer see her grandparents her face started to change. I could see that she was beginning to realise the gravity of the situation and how far away we are moving and she began to cry. This absolutely broke my heart and made me question the decision to go. For a split second I wondered if we were doing the right thing. I can handle being sad and loosing something or someone I love because I know I am old enough and have the tools to deal with it, but seeing my child's face change from being happy and smiling to being sad, upset and crying broke me. I am still very tender and now hate South Africa more than I ever have before. Why should we have to take our child away from her grand parents because of the situation in this country. I know it maybe wrong to feel this way and that it will eventually pass but I am still angry and hurt and don't see myself forgiving South Africa's leaders any time soon.

I thought that when I first made this post that it had finally hit me what we are doing. I discovered that that was so wrong and that I had a surprise in store for me. When we eventually got to Sydney Airport, it hit me hard (like a ton of bricks). We have nothing to go back to. All our accounts are closed, our house sold and our stuff in a container on the way to Brisbane and we are jobless. South Africa is not our home any more it is merely the land of our birth and where we grew up. I honestly can say that even though we only landed at 17:05 in Brisbane and we have only been here a couple of hours, I feel like I am home.

I am sitting here at friends and all the doors in the house are open with the screens shut and latched and for some strange reason I feel completely safe. It's not a feeling that you can describe to anyone, it's truly something that you have to experience for yourself. I am not saying that Australia is utopia and without it's problems and crime, It's just very different and in a strange way normal. Everyone I have encountered so far is friendly, patient and extremely helpful.

Customs was a breeze by the way and the secret is, if you are not sure about something in your luggage declare it and let the customs official decide what to do with it. We hand prescription medication and food that we were given on the Plane and back in South Africa, we merely declared it and when we got to the second check point the very friendly customs guy asked what kind of food it was and if it was sealed, didn't even ask about the medication and waved us on through without so much as even looking in our bags.

Thank you to everyone who responded to this post and all the well wishes. We really appreciate the support that all of you have shown and I don't think you will ever truly know what it means to us. This forum (I know I am repeating myself here) has been both mine and OYBR sanity and support structure. I am not sure if I would have done this completely alone.

We are in Brisbane until 5 April so we will be able to check in from time to time and after that we will be in Maroochydore in temp accommodation and looking for permanent rental so I am not really sure what kind of Internet access we will have but we will definitely check in as often as possible.

• Like 9

Hi HEOJJ,

Glad to hear you guys arrived safely.

I don't know if this crossed your mind at all, but thought it to be rather cool that you guys are starting a new life on the very anniversary of the the Resurrection of our Lord - that signifies a new life for us all!

All the best for the next few days and weeks as you find your feet.

Only 9 weeks before we leave.

• Like 3

hi there - Im glad you landed safely. I thought you were only leaving tomorrow so to read that you are there already was a surprise!

I hope you guys settle in quickly and that your feelings of sadness and anger will be replaced with feelings of joy and hope!

• Like 2

Jeeeze, you guys and jou epic journey must be on my mind. I even dreamt you turned up at my house in Sydney! The dream storyline mainly revolved around us being out of biltong and had nothing to offer you. How crazy! Sorry we were all out of biltong, hope you get some soon ;)

• Like 2

Welcome to Australia! I'm so glad you have arrived. Don't worry, the feelings you mention are very normal and there will be times during the next few months when you will again feel like that and wonder if you have done the right thing. When you do feel like that, just remind yourself of the new freedoms and peace that you have.

Yes, things will be strange and there will be times when you feel a little overwhelmed and almost wish ( not quite) that you were in RSA where you know how everything works, but on those days focus on the little pleasures, a walk at the beach, parking your car without being hassled, sitting in your yard watching the street go by without a massive fence......the pleasures are endless.

Welcome and may your new life begin today!

• Like 1