Point of no return

HadEnoughofJuju

Hi - glad you arrived safely and that you're able to see some of the benefits we take for granted in Aus now.

I hear your sadness regarding your daughter - I went through that about 15 months ago and while she was acclimatising and making new friends it was tough.

Our children adapt fastest though, and while my daughter misses her grandparents, she is the one who has said that she would never move back to ZA. Visit, yes, move, no.

Welcome, hope you had ( are having) a good Easter and wait till you see the mark-down prices of chocolate eggs after Easter :)

• Like 2

I feel like I am home.

I am SO SO happy that you are finally home sweet home :jester: . Hope you and OYBR and your daughter are blessed tenfold in this beautiful country!

I am still very tender and now hate South Africa more than I ever have before. Why should we have to take our child away from her grand parents because of the situation in this country. I know it maybe wrong to feel this way and that it will eventually pass but I am still angry and hurt and don't see myself forgiving South Africa's leaders any time soon.

It's not a feeling that you can describe to anyone, it's truly something that you have to experience for yourself. I am not saying that Australia is utopia and without it's problems and crime, It's just very different and in a strange way normal. Everyone I have encountered so far is friendly, patient and extremely helpful.

You are definitely allowed to feel hate and anger...let it drive you to prove SA wrong and to make everything you can of this opportunity! Show them how life should be done! :boxing:

Your second feeling here already shows that you made the right decision! All that subconscious fear and stress just vanishes! Sure you look ten years younger already :whome: hehe!

Cannot wait to hear more about your experiences...but will let you settle in first! Gosh I am SO excited for you!

Ps: Let us know when you have given them trolleys a spin :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Welcome to Oz. Your yellow brick road was long and winding and now it is time to settle in the land of Oz. I see you guys are posting at 2am, lol, guess you have jet lag. If you can, try melatonin. Helps with jet lag.

Enjoy settling in. All the best in the job search. Am sure things will work out.

• Like 2

Welcome to Oz. Your yellow brick road was long and winding and now it is time to settle in the land of Oz. I see you guys are posting at 2am, lol, guess you have jet lag. If you can, try melatonin. Helps with jet lag.

Enjoy settling in. All the best in the job search. Am sure things will work out.

The laptop was still set to South African time and I only changed it after posting. Tried the melatonin and that stuff hits me for six about 20 minutes after drinking it.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome and words of encouragement. I will definitely post some of our first day experiences and impressions but so far we are loving the sense of freedom and peace. It's a strange feeling to get used to but one that I'm getting used to. Wonderful to not be constantly looking over our shoulders the whole time.

• Like 1

Congrats on finally making it there... we're jealous indeed ;)

Holding fingers crossed for you guys that side... :D

• Like 1

Aaaah you wonderful people !! We've been away for the weekend, have been thinking of you even though I was away from my PC !! So very happy that you are there, safe, happy and sound. Looking forward very very much to read your settling-in-posts !!!

God Bless,

A

• Like 2

How very exciting to hear from you! I am so glad to hear that you have landed safely and that everything is going well so far.

How was the flight with Jessy? I hope you enjoy your time in Brisbane and how wonderful it is that Eager2go has helped you guys so far. It just goes to show how wonderful this forum really is and that you meet/make true friends here.

Good luck with the rest of your journey!

• Like 2

Welcome to Australia, your new home! :)

As you are discovering, this journey, even once you are here, continues to be filled with mixed emotions. On the one hand feeling your daughter's pain as she says goodbye to her grandparents and all she knows, on the other feeling the pure and utter joy that safety and freedom brings you. My 6 year old (she was 5 when we left SA) still misses her grandparents and her friends in South Africa a lot, and we still miss our friends and family too. What we do to keep our spirits lifted, and remind us just how blessed we are to be here, is that every weekend we make sure we get down to the beach. Sometimes we go down after dinner, just for a stroll and a play in the sand, sometimes we spend the whole morning there, swimming and playing and picnicking. There is something about the ocean and the way people walk around the beaches here (people of ALL ages) with such free abandon that makes us feel such gratitude for living a life where fear is not an acceptable part of one's daily emotions. Once you are settled, you and your wife will find much joy in so many small things that are taken for granted here (walks in the park, walking at night, nobody talking on their mobile phones or drinking whilst driving, etc) and that joy will help negate the inevitable heart break that comes with immigrating.

Anyway... Wishing you all the best as you find your feet. Hoping everything falls into place beautifully for you and your family.

• Like 3

Aaaah you wonderful people !! We've been away for the weekend, have been thinking of you even though I was away from my PC !! So very happy that you are there, safe, happy and sound. Looking forward very very much to read your settling-in-posts !!!

God Bless,

A

Thanks for the wishes and I will definably make a post or two in the next couple of days.

How very exciting to hear from you! I am so glad to hear that you have landed safely and that everything is going well so far.

How was the flight with Jessy? I hope you enjoy your time in Brisbane and how wonderful it is that Eager2go has helped you guys so far. It just goes to show how wonderful this forum really is and that you meet/make true friends here.

Good luck with the rest of your journey!

Hi there, thanks for the wishes. The flight was very long and exhausting to say the least but Jessie was actually very good under the circumstances, she even helped us with the luggage.Eager2Go have been great and really made our landing soft. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Welcome to Australia...your daughter will settle down..so envious you are heading to Maroochydore, I just love the Sunshine Coast, I have a unit there on the cusp of Maroochydore and Alexandra Headland..you will love it there. Good luck with the job hunting.

• Like 1

Well done, you guys!

Glad you arrived safely.

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Hope things are still going well. I started with the tears (at work) reading about your daughter coming to the realisation. Man ((hugs)).

Hope you find a new permanent home soon and get settled into the daily stuff quickly.

It's like the end of an era not reading about your journey getting there. Time to start a new book.

• Like 1

We have arrived in Maroochydore and already met some South Africans in the local Aldi's and we are already going for drinks today. I absolutely love this place and I think we are going to love every minute of living here. Now just to sort out the jobs and school for Jessie and we will be fine.

• Like 3

Fantastic to hear! Glad it has lived up to all your expectations :-)

• Like 1

Good luck to you...I am feeling nervous reading your posts...as I know we will be feeling like this some day as well....

Cant wait to read the rest.

• Like 1

Good luck to you...I am feeling nervous reading your posts...as I know we will be feeling like this some day as well....

Cant wait to read the rest.

The nervousness soon gets replaced with a peace and tranquility that no one can explain to you. You need to experience it for yourself. You start relaxing and feeling OK and realize that you still have to be responsible about safety but you don't have to spend every hour of every day looking over your shoulder the whole time wondering who's going to get you.

• Like 1

Nice to hear about the updates! Glad everything has gone well. It is so true about that weird feeling when your furniture has been loaded into the container - there is no turning back now! Our furniture was loaded last week and we moved into self catering B&B as the prospective buyers of our house have moved into our house. We are basically already 'visitors' in South Africa! No home address to return to! Weird! My boss from work (whom I suspect is planning on emigrating to France), gave the following advise: Keep looking forward, don't keep looking over your shoulder at the things in SA and enjoy the adventure! Keep posting your new experiences! It helps a lot!

• Like 3

It hit me the other day while watching a program about building houses on this wonderfully free Aussie TV that we don't have anything to go back to in South Africa. I am home and I am loving it more and more every day. I am angry at the moment but I guess it's normal and will pass but the freedom we are experiencing does ease the pain a bit though. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Why angry HEOJ?

The anger stems from the day we left when my child started crying once her ouma and oupa were out of site and she realised that it would be a long time before she would see them again. I am angry that because of the unstable future this country holds for my child that we are forced to separate her from the people she adores. I don't know how long this is going to last but it's there and I can't hide it.

• Like 2

I understand how you feel HEOJJ - I'm not even there yet and I feel exactly the same......... :boxing: