Snakes.......?

Usha

I can deal with the snakes any day. Even the poisonous ones. Its the spiders that will probably get to me. Am so scared of anything bigger than my thumbnail. Especially if it has hairy legs... :stretcher::unsure::o

I'm originally from the UK and when migrating to South Africa had concerns about the spiders and snakes in South Africa, funnily through education and experience I learned that there are nasties but most snakes and spiders are not out to get you.

Now I'm in Australia and it is much the same thing, people are more scared of what they don't know or understand. I'm still not fully conversant with all the breeds of snake or spider in Australia, but try to learn about them and respect them, much as in South Africa and Namibia, honestly for those of you coming from South Africa, I don't think you need to be worried.

I'm actually looking at going on a snake catchers course so I can be the local snake catcher and relocate snakes found on people's property.......too many harmless snakes get killed and they do such a valuable job......spiders too, don't kill your Daddy long legs because they kill red backs.

• Like 1

Here are some scary but useful pics and info about common spiders in Oz

(Hoe gril ek nou!)

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/view-image.htm?gid=12006&index=0

Edited by Morne&Chapman

What a happy spider...

When we lived in Phalaborwa, we were fortunate enough to witness a button spider (or something like that) catch and eat a small red lipped snake. Best of both worlds, letting spiders take care of the snakes?

I can deal with the snakes any day. Even the poisonous ones. Its the spiders that will probably get to me. Am so scared of anything bigger than my thumbnail. Especially if it has hairy legs... :stretcher::unsure::o

You won't come near me, then, bigger than your thumbnail and have hairy legs ....... Not very many of them, though. :lol:

Haha......cat got your tongue?

AndreaL....... 1........OBD..........0

In this exchange - overall Andrea 1 - OBD at least 5

You won't come near me, then, bigger than your thumbnail and have hairy legs ....... Not very many of them, though. :lol:

Luckily I can deal with the two legged ones. It is the 8 hairy legs that gives me the heeby-jeebies.

I once locked myself out of my own house because of a huntsman spider....

I KNOW they catch the mozzies and they are not poisenous and "more scared of you..." bla bla bla. I don't care.

If that thing is somewhere in my house, I sleep in my car...

• Like 2

don't kill your Daddy long legs because they kill red backs.

Really, doesn't seem possible? If that's the case although I HATE spiders I'll never touch a daddy long legs again!!!

Really, doesn't seem possible? If that's the case although I HATE spiders I'll never touch a daddy long legs again!!!

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Spider-facts

" However, Daddy-long-legs Spiders can kill and eat other spiders, including Redback Spiders whose venom can be fatal to humans. Perhaps this is the origin of the rumour that Daddy-long-legs are the most venomous spiders in the world. The argument is sometimes put that if they can kill a deadly spider they must be even more deadly themselves. However this is not correct. Behavioural and structural characteristics, such as silk wrapping of prey using their long legs, are very important in the Daddy-long-legs' ability to immobilise and kill Redbacks. Also, the effect of the Daddy-long-legs' venom on spider or insect prey has little bearing on its effect in humans."

• Like 1

Luckily I can deal with the two legged ones. It is the 8 hairy legs that gives me the heeby-jeebies.

I once locked myself out of my own house because of a huntsman spider....

I KNOW they catch the mozzies and they are not poisenous and "more scared of you..." bla bla bla. I don't care.

If that thing is somewhere in my house, I sleep in my car...

I could always bring 3 friends ...... ;)

OK, I'll stop teasing.

• Like 1