Snakes.......?

Usha

How many of you have spotted or encountered snakes in the ACT suburbs?

I have a huge phobia of these creatures.......in fact i think the sight of one would probably give me a heart attack.

Are they popular in certain suburbs? .....just want to know which areas to avoid.

I have the same phobia, so I understand. I intend buying tons of snake repellent once I'm there. Since we have a chance of a 457 visa in Broken Hill (in the Outback), I googled "snakes" and "Broken Hill", thinking I am going to get a million reports of snakebite in the area, but surprisingly I found very little and none in Broken Hill itself. Still stocking up on the snake repellent though...

Are they popular in certain suburbs? .....just want to know which areas to avoid.

I very much doubt that snakes are popular in any suburb.

in 3 years I have never seen a snake in or around my suburb ..... this is not to say that they are not there .... read this press release http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/open_government/inform/act_government_media_releases/tamsd/2012/09/be_mindful_of_snakes_in_canberra

seen them only at the the Canberra Zoo ...

Don't know about much about the abundance of snakes in residential neighborhoods in Australia but I can tell you unless you live in a secure complex in RSA (even that is no guarantee) our neighborhoods are full of them ;)

Edited by Brad76

I work in Ashlea Gardens, Garsfontein, in an old house with an overgrown garden. There are lots of spiders and small black scorpeons. The other day I had to catch a 40 cm snake with a ''braai tang' and could not believe how fast and agressive the little bugger was! At least I knew it was dead and would not pitch up in a file later... just hope it's Mommy & Daddy do not come look for it...

Don't know much about ACT, rural, outback, etc. as I stay in suburban Brisbane.

However, I can comment that carpet pythons are very common in our area. Not harmful at all but beware your small children and pets.

I have included a few pics of carpet pythons out and about in our neighbourhood. They are particularly fond of eating possum. My apologies if the pics are disturbing.

post-16175-0-86276900-1360292932_thumb.jpost-16175-0-34717900-1360292950_thumb.jpost-16175-0-76878200-1360292963_thumb.jpost-16175-0-91830200-1360293081_thumb.j

Edited by cmh

OMGosh. I no longer wish to live in Brisbane. Poisonous or not - I just dont like snakes.

Ive been in Canberra over four years now, love gardening and bush walking - never encountered one - and never hope too.

OMGosh. I no longer wish to live in Brisbane. Poisonous or not - I just dont like snakes.

Ive been in Canberra over four years now, love gardening and bush walking - never encountered one - and never hope too.

The spiders are worse in Brisbane.... :censored::ph34r::wacko::unsure:

I do not think we get them in Melbourne, as I know a few people who would not mind getting rid of their possums as naturally as possible and no one has mentioned carpet pythons.

Don't know much about ACT, rural, outback, etc. as I stay in suburban Brisbane. However, I can comment that carpet pythons are very common in our area. Not harmful at all but beware your small children and pets. I have included a few pics of carpet pythons out and about in our neighbourhood. They are particularly fond of eating possum. My apologies if the pics are disturbing.

You are right!

Very disturbing!

I do not think we get them in Melbourne, as I know a few people who would not mind getting rid of their possums as naturally as possible and no one has mentioned carpet pythons.

Oh don't worry, Melbourne doesn't get carpet pythons...Melbourne just gets the venomous ones... You know, tiger snakes, etc ;)

Don't worry about the snakes. The spiders keep them under control. :)

Actually I've been here a year and nary a snake - nor a spider other than a daddy long legs - wish I could say the same for cockroaches. But that may be my house ...... note to self ... when garbage gets waste high, shovel it out the front door .... ;)

Only snake I have seen in four years was in the Grampians on a bush walk. Granted it was an Eastern Brown (venomous), but after seeing it my children stopped running off into the bush the whole time. My take on snakes in Australia is the same as it was on snakes in South Africa. Yes, they are there but if you live in an urban area you are not that likely to see them, and if you do dont try and mess with them. My views may be different if I lived in Brisbane where it is a lot hotter, but Melbourne is a fairly safe bet as it just is not as hot as elsewhere.

I wouldn't read too much into my post about snakes or their prevalence in our neighbourhood in Brisbane which Wikipedia describes as follows "this is an "out-back" suburb containing no large or small shopping centres. The area is partially covered by undeveloped bushland."

May just be that I attract vermin...

I haven't seen a snake in the last 4 years in Brisbane either so don't count your chickens :) Oh actually, maybe you should count your chickens :D

I haven't seen a carpet python in decades...used to see them occasionally as a child when we lived near bushland but never since though of course they are around. So my biggest tip for avoiding excess snake sightings is to not live near bush land.

Edited by Fish

Only snake I have seen in four years was in the Grampians on a bush walk. Granted it was an Eastern Brown (venomous), but after seeing it my children stopped running off into the bush the whole time. My take on snakes in Australia is the same as it was on snakes in South Africa. Yes, they are there but if you live in an urban area you are not that likely to see them, and if you do dont try and mess with them. My views may be different if I lived in Brisbane where it is a lot hotter, but Melbourne is a fairly safe bet as it just is not as hot as elsewhere.

I hope Melbourne is safer! I only want to go to the safest place!

Ps There is something different about your photo Sunnyskies... Did you change your hairstyle? ;)

• Like 1

Yes - I'm so pleased someone noticed I had my hair done. I wanted to go Melbourne blonde but something went wrong with the bleach!

Anyway as 2013 is the year of the snake (Chinese lunar calendar) we should take their presence as a good omen - while still keeping a respectful distance.

• Like 1

Those photos freaked me out - I love Brisbane, reminds me of Durbs.

OBD - get yourself a cat :blush-anim-cl: - they'll sort out your roaches.

@Lyn - love your comment atbout the cats to OBD! (Can't wait for his response :offtopic: )

Sorry girls, I've got this gripping book - get back later ...... :)

Actually I can't think of anything to say. :(

Actually I can't think of anything to say. :(

Haha......cat got your tongue?

AndreaL....... 1........OBD..........0