Canberra Monthly income and Expense Budget - Comments?

claudiodr

Hi AndreaL,

I'm still in Gauteng. It seems you have it all worked out. Keep cool! Take care

If I can give one truth to all of you still in South Africa, it is that the sun seems much hotter here and you can burn very easily, even if you have lived with the African sun all of your life.

Today our minimum in Moranbah is 19 and maximum is 29, tomorrow 31. I don't have any cooler on and have windows and doors open ( if it gets under 28 I feel cold). It is only when it gets above 35 etc that I need some sort of cooling system on.

Hubby mostly uses the aircon to block out noise and keep the room cool when he is sleeping on night shift like now.

LOL - Flowman 26 degrees is gonna do nothing to help me - 18 degrees works a bit. You dont want drafts - they are not cool, but rather like the hot air coming from a tumble drier.

The advice normally given to Canberrans - is keep the shades / curtains drawn - use those sausage things under doors or where ever their is a gap - we even have a sort of tape around our two external doors - so the doors seal tight. Those that have a fair bit of cash in the ACT have glazed windows.

So some less well heeled people don't have glazing???? I'm flabbergasted, shocked I tell you!!! We should not take this - call teh governmant and alert the media ..... (OK, I'm assuming you mean double glazing, but the thought of people without glass just tickled my funnybone). And it is actually funny :P

If I can give one truth to all of you still in South Africa, it is that the sun seems much hotter here and you can burn very easily, even if you have lived with the African sun all of your life.

This sentence is absolutely true.

Before I moved here, I saw all the "Hot Australian sun" BS and thought, "Yeah, yeah, maybe to a Scot or someone who has never seen the sun, but us okes from Africa - we're tough. And if you're on the highveld, you're missing half the UV filtering of the atmosphere anyway".

Wrong. Ever step outside, where when the sun hits you it feels like pins in your skin? Try a 42 deg day in Perth ...... when the Boertjies say "die son steek" - they mean it here.