Adelaide get-together

ria

Kom ons reel iets voor die winter op ons is!! Wil graag gesigte by die forum name sit. Is nou 2 maande in Adelaide en wil graag ander Suid Afrikaners ontmoet. Wil iemand n voorstel maak?

Groete,

Ria :ilikeit:

Hi Ria

My name is Denise and I have also been here for 2 months. Time flies. I would love a get together before winter. Just name a place, date and time. Maybe a beach is a good idea. Somewhere where there is a grass patch and we have a bring and braai (oops barbie.)

Anyone have any ideas about where we can have this. Must be child friendly. Lets get this going so we can all meet each other. I must say I could do with a friendly face or 2 and a nice old chat and to make new friends.

Where do you stay. We are in the south but we do not mind driving. Port Noarlunga has a lovely beach and Hallet Cove has a lovely grassed area but beach is not so good for swimming. More north there is Semophore which is also lovely.

Anyone interested please reply with some suggestions.

Denise

There are some really lovely spots in the Wittunga Botanical gardens up in Blackwood. Lots and lots of space, beautiful lanws and it's free. :blush: We would have to take a few transportable gas barbie or two (depending on numbers). The other good spot is Thorndon Reserve in the North East. There are some barbies there, but you have to be very early to snag one and the space is more compact than Wittunga, with less grass. There is a children's playground though. Belair National park is great and stunning, but you have to book for a larger group and pay for a dedicated picnic spot. The free barbie spots are crowded.

I've got a few acres to swing a cat, where the kids can run free if they miss the cow pats out in the paddocks!

We could organise a get together on a Saturday or Sunday arvo at my place before the wet sets in around May.

I live a few kms east of Mt. Barker, up in the Adelaide hills, have a couple of barbies to fry up on and a big wash trough to toss a few beers in to keep them floating on ice.

Need I say more?

If you'd like a more centrally located place, then I don't think you'd go past Belair or Morialta Nat. Parks, both in the foothills in Adelaide, or one of the beaches if the weather is still warm enough for a dip.

Suggestions?

Edited by Bob

I was working on something like this yes, I agree, it is long overdue ( well, since the last informal one a few weeks ago in any case ). I suggest next Sunday 25th March. I don't care where, we havent had one near the beach, maybe somoen more familiar with those areas can suggest ? Bob's idea also sounds nice. I'll go with the flow.

We'd love to meet up as long as its not over Easter (cause we'll be at the rugby!!!!!)

Next Sunday sounds good to me.

Edited by Jay

Guest Bronwyn

Just a thought - what about the weekend Pippa is in Adelaide, the Sunday the 1st of April? That is the weekend before Easter weekend. We were chatting about a get together on that day in any case, now we could combine everyone if convenient (also, just arranged something else on 25th :ilikeit: ) - but that's just me.

Pippa & Fred fly into Adelaide at lunch time, so we could do it during the arvo, even if they come in a little later.

Bob's offer sounds good... :D:ilikeit::) , (Thanks Bob!) or if the general feeling is that's too far (I know some people are quite far North), fish & chips on the beach in Gleneg is one of my favourites. I don't know the parks well, but will fit in anywhere with great pleasure!

I don't know how to engineer a fancy poll, but perhaps we could just take an an average of favourite dates & venues?

Thanks for the suggestion Denise. :(

Ah :blink: , I wish we could be there but we are only coming the first week in June. But please count us in in the next one (maybe in Spring?) :whome:

Enjoy. :D

I like Bob's idea and I thikn the 1st sounds like a good time, if that suits you, Bob. :ilikeit:

Indeed, i forgot about Pippa's visit. Bronwyn's idea is good, the 1st is fine then we can include Pippa. Where and what time then ? Or let any othe time is good for me, like i said, i go with the flow.

I think the 1 April is wonderful. Bob's place sounds lovely. Bob you must just let us know what you want us to organise over and above bringing our meat, drinks etc. Can we now confirm this date. Bob would you like the final word because it is whatever suits you. We can pack our own picnics ie bring our plates, glasses, Knife and fork and then it is less mess as we will take all our stuff home.

Maybe when we know for definite and we have numbers then a few of us can each bring a salad to share around etc. Looking so forward to this.

Thanks guys

Bob please confirm so we can put in our diary ( Not that our social life is very hectic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Hi Ria

You started this idea. Thanks so much. It is so lekker that it is going to happen. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Denise

I think the 1 April is wonderful. Bob's place sounds lovely. Bob you must just let us know what you want us to organise over and above bringing our meat, drinks etc. Can we now confirm this date. Bob would you like the final word because it is whatever suits you. We can pack our own picnics ie bring our plates, glasses, Knife and fork and then it is less mess as we will take all our stuff home.

Maybe when we know for definite and we have numbers then a few of us can each bring a salad to share around etc. Looking so forward to this.

Thanks guys

Bob please confirm so we can put in our diary ( Not that our social life is very hectic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Hi Ria

You started this idea. Thanks so much. It is so lekker that it is going to happen. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Denise

Hi!

I'm glad to see such a good response! I think we should organise a monthly get together, for instance first Saturday of every month,same time same place. Just one important point -I have 3 small children and if they're not entertained I' not entertained, so wherever we go it has to be child friendly and preferrably with a play area-any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ria :ilikeit:

Hi!

I'm glad to see such a good response! I think we should organise a monthly get together, for instance first Saturday of every month,same time same place. Just one important point -I have 3 small children and if they're not entertained I' not entertained, so wherever we go it has to be child friendly and preferrably with a play area-any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ria :whome:

A great idea, I won't be able to make for the 1 April thats a Sun but could make it for the 31st April.

Hi Everyone,

Just a thought - what about the weekend Pippa is in Adelaide, the Sunday the 1st of April? That is the weekend before Easter weekend. We were chatting about a get together on that day in any case, now we could combine everyone if convenient (also, just arranged something else on 25th :) ) - but that's just me.

Pippa & Fred fly into Adelaide at lunch time, so we could do it during the arvo, even if they come in a little later.

Thanks so much for thinking of us :P . We will arrive in Adelaide at 12:00 on 1 April 2007 and if all goes well, we will be at Bronwyn's before or at 13:00 :o .

According to my knowledge, Lourens will also be arriving in Adelaide on 1 April 2007 and told me that if he’s up to it, he might join us :whome: .

We really look forward to meeting you all.

See you soon :D !

Lovies, Pippa! X

OK . . . .

sorry about being on another planet! . . . been organising a 4WD trip this weekend down the South East, about 250 kms away, with a few mates. Marius, Annette's hubby, has graciously "volunteered" to push our Nissans and Toyotas over sand dunes and on the beaches that we'll be venturing along, sleeping out under the stars at night.

Thanks Annette, for lending us some muscle this weekend and letting Marius get away!

Well, my place is available on Sunday 1st april after 1pm. I go to church in the a.m.

We can squeeze in 20 or 30 bodies + kids around the place without pushing it too far.

Plenty of parking.

Just remember that we're in a "worse in a 100 years" drought, so everything is dry and brown. Not much greenery around, I'm afraid, but the kids can run around in the paddocks and have fun.

We can drag up the two barbies, fire them up to cook some meat and throw some ice in the wash trough to keep the beers and soft drinks cold.

It'll be good to catch up with some familiar faces as well as get newcomers to meet some of the "Adelaide" crowd.

In South Australia, I'm afraid there is a yearly "Fire Ban" during the summer and late autumn months, meaning that no open fires can be lit . . . . . or half the State ends up getting burnt down.

We can light up gas barbies (and gas lamps once it gets dark), but beyond that we are limited, so braais will have to be "barbies" with instant gas cooking the hot-plate the Aussie way, unless any kind Saffer has a Weber to bring along.

Bringing seats would be great, as we can seat a few extra folk but then orange boxes start coming out for seating after about twenty people!

Bring meat, salad and drinks as well.

Hopefully, the day won't be too bad . . . not too warm, nor rainy or windy. If so, we'll all have to keep indoors a bit.

Is Sunday 1st April at Mount Barker Springs o.k. with all?

1pm?

Pippa and Lourens - Just off the topic, if anyone needs a lift or a friendly face at the airport when they arrive please let me know, i can pic up and drop at point of residence a few bodies, no worries ! :blink: Free tour of Adelaide and info included :blink:

Bob, sounds good but I go woith the flow.

Ria, ja you mentioned this before, I think a regular event should perhaps be arranged, those that wanna come can and those that donts want to or cant can not or catch the next one. Perhaps we can fine tune that idea when we get together the 1st it seems.

O gaats, Bob :blink: ! No wonder Marius has been pumping the iron this week! :huh: You better look after him... or else... :blink:

We're up for it. Will definitely be there. :huh: We'll bring a bag of ice as well, plus usual potato salad, meat, boerewors and drinks (and chairs, of course). We can also bring the go-kart to keep the kids (including the 30-something ones) occupied... :blink:

Dear Bob and Adelaidians,

Fred and I will be there and cannot wait :blink:;):D ! We arrive at 12:00 and will get a vehicle from Hertz at the airport. From there we will go to Bronwyn’s and will follow them to your house.

Pippa and Lourens - Just off the topic, if anyone needs a lift or a friendly face at the airport when they arrive please let me know, i can pic up and drop at point of residence a few bodies, no worries ! :blink: Free tour of Adelaide and info included :blink:

Marius, many thanks for the offer :blink: ! We will be renting a car for the duration of our stay, but we might just take you up on the Free Tour of Adelaide :huh: !

We really are looking forward to meeting you all :huh: !

Lovies, Pippa! X

Well, the "flow" seems to be going uphill into the Adelaide hills . . . . so dry and brown it really isn't showing its true self at this stage, but at least it's a place for kids to race around and have fun.

Annette, you can bring the go-kart and do some 30-something racing around in it yourself :blink:

I'll speak kindly to the cows and sheep so they don't object to your crashing into them :blink:

Alright . . . . see you troops on Sunday 1st April in the early afternoon, Mount Barker Springs.

Directions:

Go along South - Eastern Freeway past the Hahndorf turn-off.

Go another 10 mins along Freeway until Mt. Barker / Littlehampton / Nairne turn-off.

Turn off at this exit.

On coming off the Freeway, you'll come to a set of robots (traffic lights).

Turn right . . . . you should be going over the bridge which spans the Freeway itself.

Go into Mount Barker, past the two sets of robots.

At the second set of robots, there will be a B.P. service station on the left.

Go past the B.P. and take the next street on the left . . . . . Gawler Street.

A Commonwealth Bank should be immediately at the top of Gawler Street, if you are taking the correct street!

Go down Gawler Street, past all the shops, past the Mount Barker Police Station (300m), past an old railway yard (600m), over the railway crossing (800m), past the St. Francis de Salles Catholic school (900m), past the Mt. Barker graveyard (1.2km) and the "Wetlands" (2kms).

Gawler Street has now become Springs Road.

You will eventually cross over Bald Hills Road (3.5kms) and keep taking the Springs Road for another 2 kms before you come to a fork in the road (5 kms).

Take the left fork and immediately come into Mount Barker Springs (5.2 kms) with about 6 or 8 houses.

Go over the bridge and up the hill, keeping Mount Barker summit to your left all the time, until you come to a road (Summit Road - 7kms) on your left.

Go past Summit Road and you will soon hit gravel road with patches of bitumen where housing is.

We live about 2kms past Summit Road, which will have come up on your left.

You'll see lots of trees . . . we planted 1200 . . . and a house (9 kms) with a dark green roof together with a big green shed to one side.

Pull in on the grass (?)

[Hi Bob

We will be there. Thats Myself. Eddie my husband and daughter Jessica. Annette is your daughter coming. Jess would love to see her again???

I will bring a big coleslaw salad and a bag of ice as well. Thanks so much.

Bob must we bring plates and glasses etc???

Container arriving on Tuesday so will be busy unpacking all week. Will soooooooooo be looking forward to meeting everyone at last and relaxing with a glass of wine after a couple of very stressful weeks what with buying a house which turned out to be absolutely filthy and nothing works properly, painting and soon unpacking a huge container. I wil be exhausted but will be there.

Bob if you need anything else just let me know and please confirm re plates etc.

Denise

Hi BOB

Can you tell me what warn 0% means next to my name next to last message that I posted. Cannot understand what it means. Thanks

Denise