University fees on PR visa

Tebbutts

Hi

Rozellem: She will turn 18 at the end of next year so no unfortunately not ''young'' for her grade. But if she was 18, could she voluntarily ''redo'' year 12 in Aus? I fully agree that this would be the perfect way to go. I know she would love it, and find it a much easier transition socially. But.... she is so head strong and have a gut feeling that she will refuse straight up! Anyway thanks for the advice we will definitely try and coax her this way.

Magenta: Thanks for clarifying. Would we need to specifically apply for Commonwealth? Or do they just let you know you have gotten this when you are accepted? If we cant get Commonwealth there is no way we can pay full fees starting out new, with not much to our name.

Thanks for advice and help!

Oh just wanted to ask what other Uni's in Perth are good for the Arts, specifically English (writing/literature)? A list of best to ''worst'' wouldnt go amiss! (I know its subjective but just to get an idea)

Edited by Wannagonow

I cant say for sure (I dont have teenagers), but I suspect it would be fine to be 18 for the whole year of year 12. I know this "repeating" by new RSA kids has been done before. Perhaps email a few schools and ask their opinions. All the best.

I am currently studying at UWA. I can't really comment on their art and literature degrees, as I am studying a science degree and don't know much about the other degrees. I studied at Stellenbosch for a year and a half before moving over to Oz, so if you have any uni questions, feel free to ask. I matriculated a long time ago, so I can't comment much on the school thing.

I applied at UWA online while I was still in SA. Had to post a bunch of documents to them (can't remember off hand what it all included). When I applied I mentioned that I was on a PR visa. If you are from another country, you have to provide proof of the visa you have (student or PR). But I think that I applied to study before I got the PR and only had to show the actual visa when I was given my student card. I actually can't remember how the whole thing worked now .... I didn't select Commonwealth fees, I think that when you show proof of your PR visa, you automatically get charged Commonwealth fees. At UWA you pay per semester. So if you can only study for 6 months one year and then need to take 6 months off for some reason, that's OK.

There are so many helpful and informative people working at the university. They helped me structure my subjects and my time table and helped my figure out things that I hadn't heard of before.

I am loving studying at UWA. Their focus is not just academics but having a good balance in life and joining clubs - they have so many different clubs for so many different things!

I am rambling......hope I have been able to answer some questions.

Hi

Rozellem: She will turn 18 at the end of next year so no unfortunately not ''young'' for her grade. But if she was 18, could she voluntarily ''redo'' year 12 in Aus? I fully agree that this would be the perfect way to go. I know she would love it, and find it a much easier transition socially. But.... she is so head strong and have a gut feeling that she will refuse straight up! Anyway thanks for the advice we will definitely try and coax her this way.

Magenta: Thanks for clarifying. Would we need to specifically apply for Commonwealth? Or do they just let you know you have gotten this when you are accepted? If we cant get Commonwealth there is no way we can pay full fees starting out new, with not much to our name.

Thanks for advice and help!

Oh just wanted to ask what other Uni's in Perth are good for the Arts, specifically English (writing/literature)? A list of best to ''worst'' wouldnt go amiss! (I know its subjective but just to get an idea)

Hi,

My daughter turns 18 this year and after discussions with the HOD we chose to put her in year 11 this year. They put my son who's just turned 15 into year 10 when he had only completed grade 8 in South Africa so he actually skipped a grade. The reasoning behind putting her into yr 11 was she wants to stydy medicine and needs a high OP score. Her OP scores are accumulated from term 4 of yr 11 through to yr 12. She was a little disappointed at first, but the HOD explained it all to her, it works so different here, and now she is flying and has even been chosen for leadership for next year. In the end it has all worked out.

I say a repeat is fine as long your daughter is on board. It also gives her time to adjust.

Edited by Parks

Hi Parks

Thank you for the advice. We still have some time so will bring it up with her gently and at an opportune time to hopefully get her on board.

@ Dazzmatazz : Sorry, but for a masters there is no hecs to my knowledge. Hecs is only for undergraduate degrees.

@ BrendaRey : Not sure where you are going to but the only states that charge foreign student fees for children on a 457 is New South Wales and ACT. I have heard of people putting their children into Catholic Schools, which are private, and paying their fees, as it is cheaper than paying foreign student fees at a government school. Cannot give you and idea of the cost, I am sure someone else will do that and also correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

Canberra Catholic school fees about $550 per month