University fees on PR visa

Tebbutts

Hi All. This is my first post......I am feeling strangely nervous. Firstly, I have been scouring this site over the past few months and the info that I have found has been really awesome, so thank you to all of you.

We are moving to Perth at the end of 2013. My son is writing Matric next year and is hoping to go to UWA in 2014, probably with the view to becoming a CA. We are trying to work out our budget. According to what we have heard, my son could be entitled to 'free' university (I know he will pay it back later through a higher tax rate when he starts working). However, we have also heard that he needs to have spent a year or 2 in the Australian schooling system in order to qualify for this.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Also, from what I can pick up on the UWA website, it looks like applications only go in towards the end of the year and they are only interested in your final Matric marks (unlike here where you can start the process using your Grade 11 final marks). Does this sound right?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may send my way. :)

I know for my son to get the hecks in 2004 we had to have our citizenship i am not to sure about perth or if things have change since then but hope this helps in some way maybe there is some one here that is more in the know then I am

• Like 1

Its the same in Perth. We arrived in Jun 2008 and got our PR in Mar 2009. We had to pay my first son's uni fees as we weren't citizens yet. We became citizens in Oct this year and when my second son goes to uni in 2014 he can use Hecks. Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

On PR you get to pay the same amount as an Australian and do not have to pay foreign student fees, but you do not have access to the student loan system that the government gives to Australian Citizens.

That is my understanding of the system, if I am wrong, I am sure somebody will be quick to correct me.

• Like 1

Mara, as usual, has it correct.

By that, I mean she says what I was going to say. :P

On non-PR, you pay foreign student fess, which are about the GNP of Zimbabwe.

On PR, non-citizen, you pay resident fees, but have no access to Hecs, so have to "Hoes, bees" up front.

As a citizen, you can borrow money and mire yourself in debt until the sun flickers out (or maybe not quite that long).

All extrapolated from when my son was PR / non-cirizen changing to citizen.

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 1

Thank you for your replies....much appreciated! That makes sense.....probably a case of wishful thinking that it would all be free as we step off the plane! :)

In case you're interested, I am paying about $1000 per semester (6 months) per subject. This last semester my son did 5 subjects so it cost me just over $5000.

The applications close around Sept. They are not interested in anything but the final matric marks. You put your application in and submit the marks as soon as you get them, which in my case was after the deadline. I couriered the document and hoped that someone would open the mail in time for the final round offers. It worked. I have just been through this whole process which I found very difficult to understand. Please feel free to ask anything. If your son is writing IEB there are a few additional things you will need. They do not even know what IEB is. Using the marks conversion tables, our SA matric seems to give a higher ATAR than I would have expected.

• Like 1

Oyeah ..... (meaning, I've just remembered something)

UWA can be very difficult to get into. They get to pick and choose.

Other universities like Curtin, Edith Cowan, and others are much easier .....

Funny thing is - afterwards it really doesn't matter that much where you got the degree, it's the fact you have it.

It may make a difference for the first 2 years or so, but after that, you have an employment track record and the uni doesn't mean much.

• Like 1

In case you're interested, I am paying about $1000 per semester (6 months) per subject. This last semester my son did 5 subjects so it cost me just over $5000.

The applications close around Sept. They are not interested in anything but the final matric marks. You put your application in and submit the marks as soon as you get them, which in my case was after the deadline. I couriered the document and hoped that someone would open the mail in time for the final round offers. It worked. I have just been through this whole process which I found very difficult to understand. Please feel free to ask anything. If your son is writing IEB there are a few additional things you will need. They do not even know what IEB is. Using the marks conversion tables, our SA matric seems to give a higher ATAR than I would have expected.

Wow Sharon, $5000 per semester is massive. My daughter is going to grade 10 next year, so we're missing out on the citizenship thing too. I just hope that we'll be able to save up to send her to uni. She's interested in architecture. And you know what the irony is in our situation. I was a lecturer at uni in RSA and as part of my job perks she could've studied for free. That was the plan. Until 2 years ago when I realised I would not for the life of me let her study there, even if she gets to study for free. Many of RSA degrees are complete jokes. We had to do bulk adjustments because the students couldn't pass, so we handed out free marks at the end of the year to get them to pass...

Okay, now I have to go get a strong cup of coffee and take an overdose of chill pills!

• Like 1

My one son is already at Uni and the other is in Grade 10 now, so we won't be able to get HECS for either. Most students only take 4 subjects per semester and some of the subjects are cheaper. At some of the Uni's they can do summer school (1 - 2 subjects during the summer break) but of course that just cost me another $1050 this month!

My husband is an Architect so I know what you mean about SA degrees nowadays. Some of the faculties are OK for that course but some are disasters, like UKZN. Can you not lecture over here? Maybe you could get cheap fees here too?

The only way to handle many things is to chill and not worry about it. We use savings to pay for their studies - not much else we can do.

• Like 1

Looking at a Psychology degree for my wife at the moment and it is $1700 per module, times 24 for the full degree

That is $ 10 200 a year :(

Can you not lecture over here? Maybe you could get cheap fees here too?

The only way to handle many things is to chill and not worry about it. We use savings to pay for their studies - not much else we can do.

I don't think it will be possible to lecture here. I know someone from church who started lecturing here, but you have to do so many bridging courses it's ridiculous. It's almost like a skills assessment thing, but then add the bridging courses. What I was thinking of, was trying to get a tutoring position or lecturer assistant, or heck, even an admin post. I haven't had time to do my homework, but it seems there are many schools who have a big focus on my area of expertise. I think it will be easier to get in at a school, because the level is much lower than at varsity. And then you also don't have that many bridging courses. I think you only need to do some certificate in childcare/emergency care, when you work with children at school level.

we were very lucky my son started at Sydney uni in 2004, He has just completed his Phd in Physics this year. He has not got a large amount to pay back on his hecs except for his original degree and that amount was 25000 in the end although I stand to correction if I am wrong. he was very lucky to get a scholarship from the Australian gov to do his Phd. I hope that you all come right with payments maybe they back pay on the hecs who knows but all the best

• Like 2

Hi All. This is my first post......I am feeling strangely nervous. Firstly, I have been scouring this site over the past few months and the info that I have found has been really awesome, so thank you to all of you.

We are moving to Perth at the end of 2013. My son is writing Matric next year and is hoping to go to UWA in 2014, probably with the view to becoming a CA. We are trying to work out our budget. According to what we have heard, my son could be entitled to 'free' university (I know he will pay it back later through a higher tax rate when he starts working). However, we have also heard that he needs to have spent a year or 2 in the Australian schooling system in order to qualify for this.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Also, from what I can pick up on the UWA website, it looks like applications only go in towards the end of the year and they are only interested in your final Matric marks (unlike here where you can start the process using your Grade 11 final marks). Does this sound right?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may send my way. :)

Hi Tebutt

Unfortunetly you cannot get (HELPS fee assistance) unless you ar a citizen. You do get a cheaper rate as a domestic Australian Student.

Acceptance to the Univertisties is based soley on your final WACE mark with is converted to an ATAR score.

Currently ATAR SCORE for a B Comm degree at UWA for a degree is is 80.

Currently the Atar at Curtin university is 70

Current ATAR at Murdoch University is 60 and ECU is also 60

In Year 12 you child will receive a TISC number and he will have to register 6 prefference of what/where he want to study in September of 2013 online.

I am going to assume that he is going to write WACE exams ( West Australia Curriculum Exams) these results come out arund 28th December

If he is going to do the International Baccalaureate Exams , his results come out on the 4th Jan.

The first round offers from the Universities come out around the 18th Jan. Even if he has an ATAR of 80 , it does not mean he will get his first choice...this is based on marks and numbers of places. If he does accept his first offer because its not his preffered he can reshuffel is choices or leave it as it is and hope he gets his first prefference in the second round. The Second rouund offer come out around the 2nd Feb. This will the be the absolute final offer.

The Universities all have their open days in July/Aug on a Sunday, they have plenty of information evennings ...usually the schools are pretty good at advising of these things. They also have 2 careers days in Perth where most of the Australian Universities are represented ..usually May annd June .....keep you eyes open in the press and the school also will advise of these days.

You can go online and check the fees for a commonwealth domestic resident .

I hope this is of some help.

regards

Enrica

Thanks again to you all and a extra special thank you to Enrica for your informative reply. My son will be completing Matric in SA next year though and not Australia which is why we are feeling a little bit out of the loop here with regards to fees, registration, timing etc. The info I have received from these replies is fantastic! I have been on UWA's website, but it is always so much better to get advice from someone who has been through the process......'local knowledge' really works.

Happy holidays to you all!

Debbie and Leonard (Tebbutt)

Hi Tebutt

Have you seen the UWA ATAR conversion for South Africa yet? Is your son doing an International bacclaureate or the normal state Year 12....not sure what it is called ?

This is the website : http://www.studyat.uwa.edu.au/undergraduate/admission/school-quals/atar-conversions this should give you an idea of the marks.

When are you actually moving over ? It would be a good idea to get in touch with student services at the respective Uni's in the event that they would require additional information. So of the Uni's might need the backup of a portfolio presentaion / Personal statement or such like.

Hope that helps

regards

Hi Enrica.

My son is doing the National Senior Certificate matric next year. The UWA website does have a conversion table to convert these marks into an Atar score which is very helpful. It also looks like he will have to do an English test to qualify for admission, so I need to look into that too.

We are only planning on moving to Perth at the end of 2013, so we have lots of time, although I have a feeling that the next year is going to fly past! We also want to come out there (again) in the June/July holidays so that we can visit the university campuses, look at schools for my daughter who will be going into Grade 10 in 2014 and to decide on which area we are going to live. Lots of big decisions and I am sure I will be bouncing more ideas here for some more great advice! :)

We are looking forward to our big 'adventure'!

Hi All

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread but we South Africans are clearly very good at that sort of thing.

Any one know about the fees for masters degrees.

I am looking at doing my masters in organisational (industrial) Psychology after a few years of being in WA hopefully at UWA.

In SA Masters is often less than the normal degree as they kind of reward you (I guess) for getting that far and of course the Uni gets a whole bunch of money from the state for a masters student completing the degree. So I suppose they get it back. Just wandering if it is the same in OZ.

I may possibly wait 4 years if this HECS thing is a draw. Any one keen to elaborate a little more on that. I understand the principle but how does it work in theory.

Sorry to hijack this thread with with my scenario, but we have been on PR since November 2009, but only made the big move in March 2011 (almost 2 years ago)

I have a few questions:

1: When can we apply for citizenship, 4 years after initial PR visa activation entry (Nov 2009) or 4 years after we made the big move (Mar 2011)?

2: How soon after becoming a citizen can you get the student loan from the government (Hecs?). Immediately or is there a waiting period?

Thanks in advance,

Robbie

It also looks like he will have to do an English test to qualify for admission, so I need to look into that too.

My son gained entry into Uni this semeter with an SA matric without doing an English test. He got into UWA but we ended up in Brisbane - no mention of an English test there either.

Robbie, you can only apply for citizenship 4 years after the move. I believe it takes a little while for the citizenship to come through, after your 4 year wait, but you can apply to speed it up if you are about to study and need to apply for HECS. Otherwise you wait for the council to give you the date for the next ceremony.

• Like 1

What are school fees like if you're over on a 457 visa?

@ Dazzmatazz : Sorry, but for a masters there is no hecs to my knowledge. Hecs is only for undergraduate degrees.

@ BrendaRey : Not sure where you are going to but the only states that charge foreign student fees for children on a 457 is New South Wales and ACT. I have heard of people putting their children into Catholic Schools, which are private, and paying their fees, as it is cheaper than paying foreign student fees at a government school. Cannot give you and idea of the cost, I am sure someone else will do that and also correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

• Like 1

We've just arrived - we're in Townsville, Queensland.

• 2 years later...
Hello.

Reviving this old topic! We plan to arrive early 2017 to live in Perth. My daughter will have just finished matric end of 2016. She wants to go to uni desperately and study something like English Literature or Creative Writing, a BA I supose. I hope someone can help with the following questions:

1) How does one go about the National Senior Cert to ATAR conversion. I've found http://www.studyat.uwa.edu.au/undergraduate/requirements/school-quals/south-africa and http://www.mq.edu.au/study/international/how_to_apply/undergraduate/academic_requirements#What mark or grade do I need? which are both very helpful for those uni's, but nothing on other main uni's websites.

2) We plan to live NOR near Edith Cowan Uni so that would be the most obvious Uni, also because it is so strong in the arts. Would they have a similar conversion for ATAR?

3) We will have PR (189visa) so think we would qualify for a Commonwealth supported place? (ECU BA: Commonwealth fees $7,550, doable. Full fee paying $17,200, not doable!)

4) With PR status I believe she won't qualify for HECS or FEE assistance (she would need to be a citizen or humanitarian PR visa holder)

5) From previous comments we can only really apply once she has her actual matric results in Jan 2017. I see most Uni's allow you to start mid year now, so maybe that's the way to go?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure we are doing the best for her and are prepared.

Is she "young" for her year? There is so much merit is repeating year 12, for academic and social reasons wile you find your feet and explore Uni options. Please dont rule this option out.