Taking Luxury cars

wizz

HI All,

Has anyone though about taking a luxury car with them.

I've looked at costs of cars in SA vs Aus and it seems it may be worthwhile buy a porsche, BMW or the like and putting in the container to sell when over there.

EG 2008 911 Porsche is about R800000 and the same car in Aus is $160000. Obviously there are costs involved in getting it there and taxes to pay, but it still seems worth while.

Anyone given this any thought or actually taken a car with them, please post here.

thanks

Yup that would be the idea. It would protect against exchange rate. I know you need to own the car in sa for a year before shipping it over but something you would plan ahead.

I'm not sure of the costs involved in bringing it over, I would think your profit margin would be slim, but even if it was worth it, I wonder whether you would have problems actually selling it once you get here. I would not buy an imported second hand car, especially not from Africa, and especially not a 150k plus car. Luxury cars need a lot of love otherwise they fall apart, and I would want something with a local history...(especially if I knew nothing about the country it came from)

I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to point out what many potential buyers might be turned off by.

• Like 1

If you only own a car for 12 months you are liable or 80% duty, unlike furniture which is 1 year. So by the time you add your shipping , duty, luxury car tax and the cost to bring the vehicle upto Australian standards, you are back to paying what you would in Australia.

It's also as Hansa has said , it is very difficult to sell a " grey import" in Australia.

At the end of the day the Australian government has to protect the Australia car industry. If it was such a viable prospect believe me there would have been many other people who would have done this before you .

But if you do decide to go ahead good luck.

I am just impressed that you can buy a Porsche! That was so not an option for me on exiting! :ilikeit:

If you want to go this route I wouldn't buy a luxury car. I would buy a real vintage vehicle, so that you are not competing with the same car just a different pedigree (on which I think you would loose). Rather, you want to bring something over that is very special and so in demand, where people will overlook its history.

You will see if you look at the threads that the thought of bringing cars over has been canvassed before, but you need to bear in mind that you have to pay luxury car tax, have to have a special import plate put into the engine which apparently devalues the car, and have to pay to have the car imported (including special steam cleans and what not).

So you need to factor in all of those things in before making a decision. Good luck if you decide to do it - hope it lets you make a buck out of the process.

A friend that moved over to Oz a few years back looked into taking over a relatively new Range Rover. I do not have the exact break up of the costs, but he said that once all the duties/taxes, transport charges, cost of bringing it up to Oz standards, etc was paid, it was not worth it.

He also said that the Oz authorities could ask for the vehicle to be quarantined if they felt the need. This would be at the importer's cost.

I have found that not many people in Oz like grey imports.

If you do decide to take your car make sure all the costs (including any hidden costs) are taken into consideration so that there will be no surprises for you.

HI All,

Thank you all for very valid comments. I agree with everything that has been mentioned above.

I will look into it a little bit more but maybe the good old saying "cash is king" holds true.

Hi, I was at a client merc drive day for the works clients and the salesperson told me every car over the limit of (he thinks) $59k for non clean vehicles is subject to a 33% luxury tax, this is over and above all the other car taxes and duties

I suspect they will hit you for this based on the book value of the car when you bring it in