Never expected this... but saw it coming... (part 2 - the EOI)

GideonVD

As most read in my previous post (http://www.saaustral...1-the-decision/), we had started with our fateful journey along the hoops and hops that is known to most as getting the EOI in to get an invite.

Our agents (Global Visas) assigned Rene Smith as our case manager. We had our first telephonic "interview", basically a get to know one another session. After that we received access to our very own case management portal on their web site to track actions, upload documents and send messages between the parties. Very cool indeed. Not to mention all the other related services they offer like bank accounts, phone contracts, rentals, flights and the whole ka boodle... something I'd expect for forking over a smidge over R28000. ;)

Well, it wasn't long before I received an electronic form to fill in... this was the application for ACS to do my qualifications and work experience assessments. So much info, almost felt lost. But, eventually got it filled in and uploaded.

They took my uploaded CV and restructured it into a resume for Australian standards. Had to get a hold of English copies for my university degrees, as Tuks only gave me Afrikaans ones. Found a company in Centurion called Managed Integrity Evaluation (PTY) LTD (MIE), that did all the English translations for my degrees and transcripts for me and courier them to me. Very good service for about R400, 2 degrees and 2 transcripts with copies. I needed to get a couple of reference letters, this was a problem, as the companies I worked for before my last 8 years have either folded or the people who knew me where long gone (the newer people didn't want to give me reference letters, as they didn't know me when I worked there). But thankfully that wasn't a big problem. ACS is only really concerned with references for the last 8 years. So to all planning this... make damn sure you have all your reference letters for at least the last 8 years of your working career. The rest where the normal copies of ID's and copies of pay slips (keep these... they are important). This all eventually got submitted around the beginning of July 2012. Paid the AU$300 fee and all was A for AWAY. Got my results on the 31st July 2012 (basically a month) and all was GREEN, my qualifications checked out and was comparable and my experience was confirmed for 7 years 9 months. Cool or so I thought, it turns out that the difference between 7 years and 8+ years verified experience is actually 5 whole points on the EOI system.

Next up was the dreaded IELTS. Yeah, had no idea what I was letting myself in for. So, booked the exam, paid the R1900 and had a squizy at their online prep stuff. That crap confused me even more, so left it. Got to the test and wrote it. Wasn't too worried, all seemed fine. Waited the 13 days for the TRF (Test Report Form). Got my results, 9 listening, 7.5 reading, 8 writing and 9 speaking. Overall 8.5. So I thought its all cool. Sent my TRN and scanned form to the agent. She uploaded the stuff and created an EOI with all the other documents, the initial score came out to 65. Didn't realise it at that time that my English ability was being rated at 7 based on my lowest band score (the reading), essentially missing out on 10 points.

Later we pick this up especially after viewing the results of the first round on the 1st of August. So I book my re-write and paid the new R2100 on the IELTS. This time I got some "practice" material via our good forum friend HadEnoughOfJuju. Used that to exercise my reading to try improve that. Date came and I did the re-write. Felt positive. 13 days went past and I got my results online... YEAH BABY!!! 8, 9, 8, 8... Just what I needed!!!! Waited for the TRF, but this was now during the transport strike. Post Office was just saying, it's on it's way. Only one told me that the strike was affecting the delivery of post... great... what now? Phoned the British Council and pleaded with them... the next invite round was around the corner and I needed that TRN. They conceded and thankfully gave it to me over the phone. This was passed along to the agent who updated the EOI immediately... KACHING... 75 points... now it was just the wait and see what would happen the following round.

The Sunday of the 14th of October 2012 we get and email from our agent... we got the INVITE!!!! We were over the MOON!!! Finally the first hurdle was over and done with.

PS: During the whole IELTS re-write thing, our agent advised us to let my wife also write the IELTS test, basically this is to save on a fee that will be levied for VISA applications where the dependent has no confirmed English ability. She basically had to score a minimum of 4 on each band to qualify. This was done, the money paid and she got her results. The lowest score was 6.5, so she qualifies ;)

This was a hectic period in the process if I had to be honest.

Edited by GideonVD
  • Like 2

Hey Boet,

You say "Got my results, 9 listening, 7.5 writing, 8 writing and 9 speaking" - that's "writing" twice.

See, we are reading your posts attentatively. :)

Mind enlightening us?

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 1

Hahahaha :D Fixored :).. ;)

Was reading and then writing ;)

Thunk it might of been.

I prolly wuddn't of parst my IELTS.

• Like 1

The story continues here ->

• 11 months later...

Hey Gideon,

You mentioned "agent advised us to let my wife also write the IELTS test" due to a fee that will be levied for VISA applications where the dependent has no confirmed English ability. My wife has proof from her high school that she attended an english high school - do you think this would suffice? Do you know what the fee cost is?

Thank you.

Hey Gideon,

You mentioned "agent advised us to let my wife also write the IELTS test" due to a fee that will be levied for VISA applications where the dependent has no confirmed English ability. My wife has proof from her high school that she attended an english high school - do you think this would suffice? Do you know what the fee cost is?

Thank you.

Hi acmac,

Evidence that she attended a secondary school for at least 5 consecutive years where all instruction was conducted in English will suffice to meet the functional English requirement. Alternatively, she can provide evidence of all primary schooling and at least 3 years of secondary schooling at an English speaking institution.

If she doesn't have these and doesn't want to do IELTS (or doesn't score at least an average of 4.5) the secondary visa application charge is very steep, at AUD4,885

Regards

Ajay

• Like 2

As Ajay said ;)

I finally got my assessment back from ACS (was positive), so now busy filling in the EOI to submit. When do I state (or provide the proof) that all instruction was in English for 5 years<? It's not in the "client claiming points for their partner's skills" section of the EOI right, as I'm thinking this proof only needs to be provided on the actual Visa application right?

Thanks guys.

Hi acmac,

Evidence that she attended a secondary school for at least 5 consecutive years where all instruction was conducted in English will suffice to meet the functional English requirement. Alternatively, she can provide evidence of all primary schooling and at least 3 years of secondary schooling at an English speaking institution.

If she doesn't have these and doesn't want to do IELTS (or doesn't score at least an average of 4.5) the secondary visa application charge is very steep, at AUD4,885

Regards

Ajay

@Ajay: I was able to successfully submit my EOI. I was reading the following on functional English http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/functional-english/ but it doesn't look like proof of her being taught in English at High School level will suffice, unless I'm missing something. Could you confirm?

I found this link off the skilled independent visa (subclass 189) page as this is the visa I'm wanting to apply for (http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx).

Edited by acmac

Hi acmac,

This is just a case where the DIAC website is a bit short on detail. The definition of functional English is contained in a Legislative Instrument, which I've attached here for you.

Cheers

Mandy

Functional English.pdf

Many thanks for that Ajay.I'm actually struggling with the new DIBP site, I had the old one down pat and knew where to find everything.

Thank you Ajay. Last night I actually booked for my wife just in case, but now I see that it wasn't necessary. Oh well.

I'm surprised how incomplete the various websites I've had to deal with regarding the application of the visa are, but then they're so particular when you've missed something.