Citizenship - the waiting game continues

Heymanse

After arriving in Australia four years ago our citizenship interview and test is booked for tomorrow in Sydney.

Diveup

Congratulations and good luck. :ilikeit:

Unfortunately our shire is very backlogged, even thought they do two ceremonies per month. There have just been so many applications of late. We did our interview in November last year. We have been advised that our ceremony will only be in June/July, but they cannot give us an exact date yet! I am a bit disappointed - I had hoped to be able to vote in the State elections. Hopefully we will be in time to vote in the federal elections. Also, we were hoping to go to Europe this winter so that the kids could meet their great-grandmother.

Its all good though. Just hiccups. In the greater scheme of things, we are very chuffed to be in the queue at least!

Congrats to all of you attending ceremonies in the early part of 2013! ENJOY!! And good luck to those who are still waiting. (think of how long it has taken already, Hopefully another couple of months will fly by!)

This immigration process sure does teach a person patience and perseverance at every turn...but I'm sure it's worth it :ilikeit:

So exciting to hear all of you getiing to do your citizenship ceremonies, I totally understand that need to have the Aussie passport in your hand to have that "backdoor" we have been here 13 months and my hubby and son want to return for a holiday in July and I have said I will not return till I have my passport I need that security. But well that is me and things could change 3 years is a long time.

Congrats to all of you it is really great to see so many people moving on and settling down.

:ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Congratulations, I will be applying as soon as I get my police clearance from South AFrica. Apparently they have a backlog.

Wonder why? It's not like everyone is leaving ....... is it???? ^_^

Edited by OubaasDik

Congratulations Heymanse, it really is the final piece of the journey. I wonder why you are going into the DIAC office? Maybe they want to make it a little special for you because you have waited so long.......who knows, they may use you as the new photo model/ poster boy for citizenship in Australia :)

Congratulations Heymanse, it really is the final piece of the journey. I wonder why you are going into the DIAC office? Maybe they want to make it a little special for you because you have waited so long.......who knows, they may use you as the new photo model/ poster boy for citizenship in Australia :)

I'd better be dressed for the occassion then just in case you're right and me and the fam end up as photo models :P

I wonder as well why they're sending us to DIAC's offices and might ask them - only once the ceremony is finished though. I don't know, maybe it has to do with the fact that they do promise that the process will only take between 3-6 months and we're already in our 7th month which then maybe pushes our applications to the front of the pile and we get this little bit of specail treatment? I have no clue as to the reason but a friend told me yesterday we'll probably be standing along a lot of want-to-be students who needs to become citizens for HECS purposes. Either way, I'm just really glad it's our turn finally.

Thank you so much everyone for your support!

Gizmo, good luck and hope that you shouldn't have to wait as long as we did.

Lurinda

Congrats Lurinda - and if you get special treatment thats a cherry on top. :ilikeit:

We do our citizenship test tomorrow. Cant believe the time has arrived for us to become citizens.

• Like 1

I don't know, maybe it has to do with the fact that they do promise that the process will only take between 3-6 months and we're already in our 7th month which then maybe pushes our applications to the front of the pile and we get this little bit of specail treatment?

Not sure when it would have changed but they are now saying up to nine months and that was been a few months back...

Not sure when it would have changed but they are now saying up to nine months and that was been a few months back...

I'm not sure if the timeframes are different for each state but if you call them on the 131 880 number (could be different for other states/territories) the automated voice system still say that it could take between 3-6 months and that if you haven't heard back from them after 6 months, you should call the Department of Immigration. That was still the same when I called their offices on Friday last week. Like I said, the automated voice system might be different depending on where you live in Australia.