Citizenship - the waiting game continues

Heymanse

My son applied for citizenship on 5 July, was approved 2 months later on 5 September, and is also still waiting. Seems like there are just too many people applying for citizenship these days!

FYI, I see that South Africans is now 5th on the list of countries with the largest group of people who became citizens. If one takes it as % of total population, I guess it will be close to the number one spot! See the stats here.

• 1 month later...

We did our citizenship ceremony last night. It was very special and hilarious at the same time. The old (female) mayor, now ceremonial mayor, was a bit of a stand up comic. Havent laughed so much in ages. There was 4 RSA's in the group of people from 25 countries. Thankfully I did not cry and since we had a babysitter for the night, we went out for Thai food while watching the surfers at dusk. Feels good.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone received invitation letters for 26 January 2013 ceremonies yet?

Just spoke to my son. His letter for 26 Jan arrived. Finally!

• Like 1

Hubby and kids letters were received yesterday (fantastic Chrissie present). Mine, however, has yet to make an appearance!

• Like 1

Hubby and kids letters were received yesterday (fantastic Chrissie present). Mine, however, has yet to make an appearance!

Looks like Santa has been dishing out some really cool Christmas presents this year. We have all been good little forumites. :):ilikeit:

Ring them as soon as their offices open. We also wanted to do ours together, but somehow the system never linked us. Get on it, otherwise it might be full and you will miss this one.

Happy for your both!!!

One of my friends mention they heard of some saffers flying interstate to Adelaide immigration dept to get it all process quicker. Apparently when you hand in a paper application, you get to do the interview and citizenship the same day, hence just doing your ceremony back in your own state.

Is this true and anybody done it like that?

We wrote our tests in June and received our invitations early December for 26 January 2013 from the Wanneroo Council. Can’t wait…

:ilikeit:

• Like 1

We wrote our tests in June and received our invitations early December for 26 January 2013 from the Wanneroo Council. Can’t wait…

:ilikeit:

You're going to be SPECIAL Aussies - inaugurated in the sun, with all the flies ...... ;)

Actually I would have liked and Australia Day ceremony, except I NEEDED the citizenship. Have a great day - I'm sure you'll remember it forever.

• Like 1

Done our online applications 30Nov, done the test 19Dec and received our letters today, getting our Citizenship 26Jan. So happy, never expected it to be so quick. Receiving it at Springwood (we stay in the lower Blue Mountains).

• Like 1

Happy for your both!!!

One of my friends mention they heard of some saffers flying interstate to Adelaide immigration dept to get it all process quicker. Apparently when you hand in a paper application, you get to do the interview and citizenship the same day, hence just doing your ceremony back in your own state.

Is this true and anybody done it like that?

I am not sure it is so true, unless they said they were flying in and they had to fly out. I was at the Immigration department in Adelaide beginning of December, and they told me they were giving appointments for middle of January.

Edited by andrea_vk

Done our online applications 30Nov, done the test 19Dec and received our letters today, getting our Citizenship 26Jan. So happy, never expected it to be so quick. Receiving it at Springwood (we stay in the lower Blue Mountains).

That is very quick... good for you.

Apparently when you hand in a paper application, you get to do the interview and citizenship the same day,.......

My son lodged an online application and also had his "interview" (not really an interview - more a check that all your documents are in order, and that you are who you say you are) and citizenship test on the same day. I don't think doing a paper application changes the process.

My son lodged an online application and also had his "interview" (not really an interview - more a check that all your documents are in order, and that you are who you say you are) and citizenship test on the same day. I don't think doing a paper application changes the process.

I was reading that to say that the handing in, the interview and the test were all on the same day ......

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I recently did our test (and passed :blush-anim-cl:).We really need his ceremony to happen before the end of March so that he can HECS his fees. When we did the test he was given a form by the department whereby you apply to have the ceremony urgently. We completed this form and posted it just before Christmas and when we got back from our holiday he had a letter informing him that his ceremony is in Melbourne City on the 15th Jan. He is actually away overseas on that date so they have given him 14 March - his birthday. What a great birthday present is that and we don't have to pay anymore fees!!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So the day has FINALLY arrived and we received our letters yesterday inviting us to take the Pledge on Wednesday 13 February. Weird thing though, instead of having us do it at our local council like so many others before us, we were told to go to DIAC's offices in Sydney CBD. Bit odd I thought but hey, just SO excited that the day has finally arrived that I'm not about to question them why we're not doing it at council's offices. It's been a looooong 7 months wait but finally we can close the book on the whole Immigration Process for the Heymans family. :ilikeit:

• Like 7

@Heymanse

Congratulations, it must be an awesome feeling to be nearing the finish line knowing that the last piece of the puzzle is about to be put in place. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Thanks HEOJJ! Beyond ecstatic about the news! If you look at my timeline from when we signed with an agent in February 2005 it is only fitting that five years down the track whe should finalise the entire process in the same month. Just came to a sudden realisation that February MUST be my lucky month seeing as it is also the month in which I met my hubby and fell head over heels in love :blush: Think I should try my luck with the Lotto tomorrow then... :magic:

• Like 2

I wanted to give you a thumbs up smiley but mine no longer work (???????)

But great news, enjoy the ceremony and congratulations!

After arriving in Australia four years ago our citizenship interview and test is booked for tomorrow in Sydney.

Diveup