Living Expenses

HeinTanja

Thanks MichelleD, I will find out a little bit more regarding the IELS and Skills Assessment. :ilikeit:

If your decision comes down to the pay then I would try to hit them up for more money before you decline :)

If they're prepared to sponsor you then I would hazard a guess that they might be prepared to pay more than their first offer. Negotiating is usually acceptable in Aus, in my experience at least.

As long as it's done in the right way, confident but not cocky, I don't think it could hurt asking for more. Or at least asking if the salary is negotiable for a start. I'd be taking the angle that uprooting yourselves is a big step and although you don't want to appear ungrateful, you do need to make dends meet.

The worst that can happen is they say no...

• Like 1

Hi @ HeinTanja

We are currently in the process and the 457 will be lodged now that all the documents are together. :ilikeit:

Steven Dickson is assisting us, and he is great.

My husband did not have to do the IELTS test on the 457.

I am mostly a lurker, but this is at least something that I can contribute.

Hope it helps.

Wages for diesel mechanics are very low (well, in Brisbane area anyway). I have been looking now for almost 5 weeks and I have seen jobs for painters and labourers being offered more money. I have been told there is a severe shortage of diesel mechanics, especially in the agricultural areas since those mechanics have all left to go to the mines - and understandable so where some of them earn more than some engineers.

I find it strange that they are desperate for mechanics but will not pay for the skills.....

Edited by Darkwing

When I did my skills assessment, I went through TRA who assessed me as a fitter. It was a lot cheaper than going to be assessed as a mechanic. Bear in mind, this was in 2007.

Problem is that the assessment is purely for immigration purposes. In order for me to convert to an Australian recognized qualification, I now need to do an RPL (recognition of prior learning Cert iii) which costs quite a bit. Fortunately, it is 100% tax deductable and on PR and the government give you a $1000 voucher towards it.

Just some info which may help you.

When I did my skills assessment, I went through TRA who assessed me as a fitter. It was a lot cheaper than going to be assessed as a mechanic. Bear in mind, this was in 2007.

Problem is that the assessment is purely for immigration purposes. In order for me to convert to an Australian recognized qualification, I now need to do an RPL (recognition of prior learning Cert iii) which costs quite a bit. Fortunately, it is 100% tax deductable and on PR and the government give you a $1000 voucher towards it.

Just some info which may help you.

Darkwing how does one go about getting that $1000 voucher? Is it only for certain studies?

Thanks. B

The voucher, as far as I am aware, is towards the RPL for Cert iii which is a TAFE certificate. I'm not sure if it only applies to trades but it does only apply to citizens and PR visa holders.

Hi,

We're going on a 457 in one month's time. I'm not a diesel mechanic, so from that point of view i can't help much.

I didn't go through an agent, but through a non profit recruitment agency. it seems the biggest hurdle is to get your skills/ qualification recognised ( I had to do a couple of expensive exams)

For me the IELTS was necessary for my qualification to be recognised, not really for the 457 I think.

But once that was approved, the visa process was quite painless.

I agree with negotiating the best salary possible. But then again, I just signed my contract, and hoped for the best. My husband says they recruit form overseas so that they can have cheap labour in towns where few want to go. One is quite at their mercy, but a sponsor is a sponsor. We're off to a coastal town where work was available.

Big decisions, good luck with your future plans.

Just looking at the big picture, I'd be inclined to take the job.

Australian $55 000 is a liveable wage. It may be a bit tight, but you could run two cars, pay rent and have all the basic things in life that Australians have.

To top it all off, a diesel mechanic in a workshop would work the standard 38 hours a week.

Any hours outside of this would be his to do as he pleased, and people are always wanting little jobs done on the weekend and are prepared to pay in cartons of beer, a tankful of petrol for the car, a free fishing trip next weekend, and so on.

This makes life sooo much more "affordable".

How do I know this?

Because I know Kadina and also, my son is a motor mechanic.

He doesn't drink much beer, but his bar fridge is always full.

He never pays for his beers. His wallet always has a few hundred dollars poking out of it (being a single bloke!) and he goes fishing without paying for any of his petrol.

Go work that one out!!!

He sees himself as the local village blacksmith and if someone pops in with a broken lawnmower, he does a quick weld job on it to get it back in action, or changes someone tyre or fixes a suspension that needs looking at, or brakes need replacing.

Aussies don't pay in cash very often. They come back later on with something that you need . . . . like a carton of beer, a wheelbarrow full of vegetables out of the garden or a half dozen bottles of wine from a local winery (each bottle costing $30 each, over the counter!)

Trust me . . . .a diesel mechanic in a country town like Kadina can earn a whole lot more on weekends if he needs to do so.

I can't see him being short of a quid in his back pocket, if his workmanship is good.

If his workmanship isn't good, then Aussies won't drop by, but from what I know of South Africans and their abilities, they will do alright in Australia . . . . . no worries about that.

Lastly, a sponsorship is only a stop - gap. It only last for up to four years, after two years you can put in for your permanent residency, and then you are free to set your own workshop up in a country town, or suburb of the big city.

My son has his own workshop and pays himself a lot more than $55 000 a year.

The big picture is 5 or 10 or 20 years down the track.

In Australia, you will look back to 2012 and see how far you have come financially and materially, safety-wise and how much more opportunity your two kids will have compared to your mates back in South Africa when you go back to visit.

Think about it.

I would be inclined to seriously take the offer of work in Kadina . . . . as a stepping stone to a far better life in the future.

• Like 8

Aussies don't pay in cash very often. They come back later on with something that you need . . . . like a carton of beer, a wheelbarrow full of vegetables out of the garden or a half dozen bottles of wine from a local winery (each bottle costing $30 each, over the counter!)

I would be inclined to seriously take the offer of work in Kadina . . . . as a stepping stone to a far better life in the future.

Very true. I helped a mate move house a few months ago. He gave me a bottle of JD

Helpd another mate set up a printer (seriously? a printer?) got a bottle of wine and a dinner for the family for that one.