Living Expenses

HeinTanja

Hi guys, I hope you are doing well. Can you guys please give me advise? After 2 years of searching my husband finally got a Job offer as a Diesel Mechanic at AgsercSA in Australia. It is in a coastal town named Kinda. They offer him an annual salary $55000 per year. They would do a sponsorship and help us with a 457 Visa. First of all, I would like to know, exactly how does it work, the sponsorship? And the living expenses per month in a small town like Kinda, will we "survive" on it? We are relatively new at this and really need some good advise from people who already immigrated. My biggest fear is, is that we accept this offer and get to Australia and it is not what it seemed or we missed something and we are than stranded there. I would really appreciate your opinions and advise. Regards, :unsure:

Years ago Mara put up a topic regarding similar. Look her up and see her topics/posts regarding living expenses. Covers details quite nicely and might give you an idea of how to budget

Hi HeinTanja, where is "Kinda"?

I tried google maps, but could not find it.

The closest I came is Kimba in South Australia and Kindon in Queensland, however, neither of them are near the coast.

Let me know, then perhaps I can assist.

Still wrong, I am guessing it is Kadina in South Australia...?

Well for rental homes you will pay around $260 per week for a 3 bedroom.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-kadina%2c+sa+5554%3b+/list-1

Tax on $55,000 will be approximately $9422. So if you deduct that from the $55,000 you are left with $45578, then divide that by 52 to get your weekly wage of $875.50 after tax.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/12333.htm&mnu=42583&mfp=001/002

Things you will have to pay, and this will need to be checked, as I do not live in South Australia and things can differ from state to state.

$260 rent

$50 electricity

$20 gas (more in winter for heating)

$15 Water

$150 food (for 2)

$12 broadband connection

$15 per mobile phone each

$75 per week private medical because on a 457 you will not be eligible for medicare

If you deduct the above you are left with $264.50 per week for transport, entertainment, clothing, savings, etc. It is up to you to decide if this is worth it. You have not said whether or not you have children.

You would have to budget, be good at making your $ stretch, but I have known others that have done so on this amount, just to get a foot in the door.

• Like 2

You see, Mara is a star!!! :king:

Get rid of Swan - Mara for treasurer ..... :ilikeit:

The mobile phone you quoted may be a bit high - I think you can get monthly packages for $30 (last I looked). But since you were prepared to step up and answer, I'll shut up now ..... :whome:

Oh yes, sorry, I was typing so fast, yes that is Kadina.

Thanks Gl!tter Sm!tter, you were absolutely right, she is a star, Thank you so much Mara. :D

Yes, we do have 2 children of 4 & 6. That is very tight but I am sure we will be able to make it, it is like you said, we need to get a foot in the door and we do now have the chance and we must take it!

We do have a few savings left, as we do not want to use it but it will be there if something comes up.

What would you say, just an idea what the school fees will be weekly?

Again, thank you so much for your advise!

:rolleyes:

School fees

I eventually found this site after going to the international student stuff and having a heart attack:

http://www.sa.gov.au...ry school#Proof

Where it says:

"

Fees and materials charges

Public primary schools provide free tuition for all students.

A materials and services charge is set each year. This fee covers the cost of books, computer technology and other essential items and services used by students during the course of their study."

I am assuming that in SA a 457 is considered useful and sufficient unlike NSW and VIC, which charge you international fees.

Someone will point it out if I'm wrong - people can be helpful that way ...... :boxing:

Edited by Mara
It is NSW & ACT that charge school fees on 457 NOT Victoria
  • Like 1

It's going to be very tight I can tell you, but you will also be able to work. It depends on what you do as well but you should be able to do some part time work to help out. Your 6 year old will go to school but I think your 4 year old will still go to Kindy. Childcare is very expensive. Your healthcare will probably go up a bit for 4 persons but I don't think astronomically. You also need to check if that 55k includes Super because if it does you need to take another 9% off as well because Super needs to be paid. I am also not sure on the rulings around school payments in South Australia. In some states on a 457 you need to pay full schooling which can be 7K a year per child, Also increase that food bill for 4 a bit and remember if you have a car then you have yearly rego payments which can cost 500AUD a year. It's a chunk so you should budget 50AUD a month for that as well.

All this being said, there will be plenty of people around to assist I am sure, and with you also being able to work even if it is only part time, you will probably be able to manage

457 Visa holders in SA for government schools pay only uniforms, stationery, excursions etc:

http://migrant.nabgroup.com/en/education-costs-for-457-visa-holders

Looks like you have a really good primary school there:

http://www.kadinaps.sa.edu.au/

Only an opinion is that there could be positions in Aus for Diesel Mechanic that pay substantially more in larger centers. I understand the whole sponsorship thing but maybe an idea would be to get here anyway and then look around.

Guys, me and my husband are starting to think we must just wait a little. This is coming to fast on us as the employer wants us there in March 2013. We still have so much to do here, IELTS test, Skills Assessment Test ect. We do not want to feel pressured in going as we are sponsored. And regarding the salary, I agree with you vaughanroe, there is so many job opportunities for a Diesel Mechanic but not sponsored but with much better salaries. Maybe it is better to do our Visa ourselves and then try and find work like that. Like I said, we feel so pressured at this stage.

Please give me all your opinions, I would really appreciate it. We really want to immigrate but want to do it the right way.

You guys are great, thanks! :ilikeit:

Edited by HeinTanja

My opinion...take the 457.

Firstly, you hardly come across offers from 457 sponsors.

Secondly, you will at least be in Australia, it's a start and will cost you much less if the employer is paying for costs.

Immigrating is SERIOUS money girl, have you seen what the IELTS & Skills Assessment cost and that's only for an EOI invite (Expression of Interest)

So maaaybe you get to apply for a visa, maybe you don't. My husband is also a diesel mechanic and I'm not lying to you, we have been trying to get to go since 2008.

Take the ticket!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for your input but I just spoke to the guy in Aus (the agent helping us to get there), and I have now more info regarding the sponsorship, I wanted to know what the Employer will sponsor. We still need to do the Skills Assessment and IELTS out of our own pockets. The Employer only sponsor the Visa. And we need to pay the Agent another $3000 also out our pockets. I am now even more confused! :wacko: This is his response: Sponsorship unfortunately is misleading. You don’t have a company financially sponsor the relocation it means they guarantee you full time employment for the duration of the visa. To get the visa and arrive in Australia is the candidates responsibility. I have gone over the costs with Hans a while ago and he is required to take a skills assessment which is about $2000au (split between a paper test and a practical). English Test about $400au. There is the cost of the migration agent which is $3000au.

Edited by HeinTanja

Just a hint, Stephen stated recently that doing your assessment as a Diesel Fitter instead of Diesel Mechanic costs less as the practical falls away

Many sponsors carry costs but once again, needle in a haystack situation.

But screw that agent, he sounds like a rip off. Stephen (not sure of surname) will help you with most queries as will all the others on the forum.

I've heard good things about Stephen & Reuven (Migrate2Oz)

• Like 1

Sjoe $55k sounds a bit light! I guess they can't find an Aussie diesel mechanic who is willing to move to a remote area for that money ;)

It's going to be tough if you accept it. Maybe you can negotiate a better deal. I don't know a lot about these things but I believe with the LAFHA falling away you cannot get any tax benefits like they used to (some other people on here will hopefully give you more detail about this). Also you will not qualify for any childcare rebates or any Centrelink help at all.

It's going to be tough to make ends meet. I don't know...please get lots of advice from other 457 visa holders!

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input! I am still going to do more homework before we accept. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input! I am still going to do more homework before we accept. :rolleyes:

Ja, tell them to sharpen their pencil :)

• Like 4

English test in SA is around R2200 and with the help of this forum you can get all the necessary required info to do the visa DIY.

• Like 2

Why IELTS for 457? Is this a new thing?

First let me say congrats on getting a 457 sponsorship offer. It does not happen often. DH has been looking for a very long time. There was a position that looked reeeaaaalllyyy promising, he was asked to come for interview, paid for holiday visa, flight tickets, spent some time there, made some suggestions to streamline things,only to be told by employer that company now only wants to employ a contractor for 6 months. :cry: The salary does seem a bit low but as mentioned you can also work to make ends meet. At least it is a foot in the door.

Secondly I think you should ask Stephen from Migrate2Oz about the IELS and skills assessment. It was my understanding that on a 457 the employer takes you as you are. Find out more about this.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1