Short and Sweet - My Story

Elmarie61

Actually my list was very short, apart from the 2 cars being stolen, the incessant pilfering and the breaking of locks on the gate, we were pretty lucky.

Most of my family were dead though, so goodness knows if I'd known more people.

One of my friends had a gun battle up and down a corridor with 6 home inveders, and was lucky to get his whole family out unharmed. He moved into a flat in Killarney soon after. Luckily he had the money. It also happened to be the flats that a certain Zuma was staying in at the time, and the whole foyer was crowded with SAPS 24/6 for 6 months of the year.

I'm sorry to hear about all the trauma, though, I really am.

Edited by OubaasDik

Thinking back to my 5 week awesome holiday in Perth...I decided to post some of my favorite things.

Fremantle... Go have ice cream here! My favorite was cookies and cream ice cream with a crunchie chocolate mixed in. Yummmmmmmmmm!

Rottnest... We had the opportunity to spend a weekend on Rottnest, but even if you can't get accommodation go for a day trip, it's well worth it! Hire bikes and ride around the most beautiful island!!

Fish and chips and watching the sun set at cottesloe beach. Wow.

Drive up Bay View Terrace in Mosman Park. The views of Perth CBD across the river are breathtaking!

Swanbourne beach. Nudie beach, haha! Gotta take a nude dip in the ocean!

A picnic in kings park. Beautiful!

Banbury and surrounds, beautiful.

Just a couple of moments that stood out on my trip. I am going to try and post some photos now!

E

Fremantle:

post-14430-0-43374500-1347520659_thumb.j

Rottnest Island:

post-14430-0-94529000-1347520671_thumb.jpost-14430-0-89985800-1347520674_thumb.jpost-14430-0-06289400-1347520678_thumb.jpost-14430-0-58999700-1347520681_thumb.j

Sunset at Cottesloe. The fish and calamari was yum. We sat on the grass next to the beach and had a picnic!

post-14430-0-41502900-1347520687_thumb.j

Bay View Terrace. This is a nice spot for a walk or again, a picnic.

post-14430-0-77232200-1347520668_thumb.j

Swanbourne

post-14430-0-89824900-1347520684_thumb.j

post-14430-0-50381700-1347520955_thumb.j

Banbury and surrounds

post-14430-0-55204100-1347520665_thumb.j

post-14430-0-40633300-1347520662_thumb.j

• Like 4

Yikes thought we were going to see pics of the Nudie beach LOL.

Great pics though...so nice and soothing..

Awesome!!!! And now I am even more excited that ever to get there!! Less than 2 weeks to go.. YIPEEEEEE!!! :ilikeit:

A Quokka! That's why the island is called Rottnest, as in 'rot nes' (think German/Afrikaans)!

They are super cute. There are many many on the island. Some very tame others very wild.

We had some break into our tent to steal food...

They are sort of like a 'dassie' crossed with a kangaroo. They hop, it's so cute.

E

A Quokka! That's why the island is called Rottnest, as in 'rot nes' (think German/Afrikaans)!

They are super cute. There are many many on the island. Some very tame others very wild.

We had some break into our tent to steal food...

They are sort of like a 'dassie' crossed with a kangaroo. They hop, it's so cute.

E

Dutch - they did most of the discovering of Aus.

Consider tyhem kangaroo rats on steroids with a helping of cuteness..... :)

• Like 1

Wow, the phase between 'getting visa grant' and 'getting on a plane' is an emotional south African taxi ride. (way worse than a roller coaster ride, as it is crazy out of control real life with real consequences- stuff).

One moment I am up, then down, angry, sad, happy, lost, you name it.

I am the easiest teacher on earth, always chatty and nice to the kids. I teach art so it is an informal class with about 15 kids at a time.

Lots of fun! But this week I find for the first time I am losing patience. Ugh, this isn't fair on the kids.

Today is better, and the long weekend will help with my stres!

Good news is we have two people interested in our house, will see what happens tomorrow. House isn't officially on the market yet, these interested parties work with my husband. I am not getting my hopes up this soon!

Getting yourself into Aus, involves a lot of waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

On the one hand I cannot wait to get there. I can't wait to get the house sold, accounts closed etc.

But on the other hand... Selling my house is, well, selling my beloved house. :(

I want it sold but I don't want to give it up. Crazy huh!

South Africa is my beloved older crazy aunt. I love her to bits, but she also drives me crazy and I can no longer live with her.

Doesn't make it easy though!!

E

• Like 2

And now I am having nightmares at night! I wake up crying. Augh!!!

Guess I am working through my emotions in my sleep?

How did you all get through this?

With a deep breath. You are mourning the upcoming loss of what South Africa means to you. I know some people can't wait to get on the plane and don't give a backward glance, but for many of us there was a grieving process.

I love your description of South Africa as a crazy old aunt that you just can't live with anymore - that is very apt - and when you wake up crying remember that.

Thank you, sunny skies.

There is also a lot of excitement, and some days I just can't wait to get there!

It's such an up and down process!

Hang in there, this is one wild rollercoaster ride. One minute I feel like I can just jump on a plane and I can't get there fast enough and then the next minute, I just cry for the most stupid little thing.

Mmmm sounds like a pregnancy!! I guess in some ways it is kinda like that.

Just remember, you are not alone!! :hug:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That crazy aunt description is the best I have ever read. Excellent.

We Also off the Perth 2013. I am keen but need to "break up" with SA properly first. I can't just send her an sms. My brother is in Perth and pesters me weekly for not hopping on the next available plane. He is one of those who left and says he will never come back.

I also have good friends in Mozambique that my wife has never met. We are friends as we share a love for the sea and the creatures that swim in it an I go there to experience that with them over the summer time. My wife has never joined me as we have little ones. They are both however just old enough to come (malaria meds). So in November (I can't believe that is now next month) I have a trip with my Durban friends on a fishing trip for 5 days and then Mozambique in December for about 10 days and then 1st of Feb we on a plane, but it will be with a heavy heart that I leaver the land of my birth. Coming back on "holiday" in the future just won't be the same.

Good luck with your "winding down" phase, we are in it too and it is tough.

• Like 1