Surprise visit by Australian High Commission

Hi all

Don't know if any of you have encountered this.

This morning, I was sitting in my office when a black BMW pulled up to our business.

Two persons entered our offices and asked for my dad, which is the owner of our company.

I wasn't really interested in these people until they introduced themselves as representatives from the Australian High Commission. ;)

They call themselves "Integrity Officers".

My ears immediately were like radars. They were there to enquire if I was really working there, since when I worked there etc.

They took photographs of my office and the work I am doing. They were very friendly. :whome:

They are for real and they even handed my a business card which is authentic Australian Government issued.

Now I want to know:

-Is there anyone out there, that had the same type of visit?

-How long does it take, approximately, from being assigned a Case officer to the actual grant letter?(PCC and medicals sent in within one week of case officer assignment)

-Any ideas, tips, anything? My nerves are driving me insane! :ilikeit:

Waiting to hear from you guys!

Buck

Hi Buck,

Very interesting! I did not know that they do this! At least you now know that they are working on your application! Good luck and keep us up to date!

Bye, Pippa! X

They sound the Agents from MIB, that must have been really interesting.

Could make for uncomfortable conversation if people at your work did not know about your ideas.

:ilikeit:

. . . . just as well you didn't duck out for a bite and take-away coffee up the street and they came in asking the receptionist and she said . . . "who? . . . "

Guest Bronwyn

That's so interesting Buck - may I ask - are you also coming over on a business Visa?

I also pictured the 'Men in Black' dudes immediately. :ilikeit:

Must have been so strange!

Guest colton

It has never happened to us but our immigration agent did warn us that they have been doing these kind of checks and to be prepared. Apparantly it has happened to a couple of people who have applied for the 136 visa, don't know if that is what you are going over on? Too many people fabricating their job circumstances and now they are doing random spot checks. At least they were satisfied with you. :ilikeit:

Hi All

Very intresting. Ek sou my oor 'n mik geskrik het. Wonder hoekom doen hulle dit.

Groete

Sheila2Oz

Hi All

I've added a signature with my application timeline.

And the waiting continues ....................

Buck

Hi buck

It won't be long now, my brother in law had his about 3 weeks after medicals were received.

Good Luck

See you soon

S

Wonder hoekom doen hulle dit.

It seems to be one of the latest policies implemented. This was posted by Dolf the immigration lawyer.

NEW POLICIES ARE BEING IMPLEMENTED ALL THE TIME IN THE ASSESSMENT OF VISAS - THE LATEST THAT ALL WORK REFERENCES OF SOUTH AFRICANS ARE NOW CHECKED WITH THE EMPLOYERS IN SOUTH AFRICA -SOMETHING THEY HAVE NEVER DONE BEFORE!

I wonder if these agents know how much anxiety their visits may cause. It can't be a nice job. Suit and all. :ilikeit:

Please tell us if your Dad is the Main Applicant ? Are you going over on your Dad's visa? the whole family ? You talk about your Dad's business and you work for your Dad. I wonder if it is not because you cannot give an employer's reference other than a relative who is your Dad ? You guys are so far they can't turn you down now. So start packing and good luck

Oh no! I pray this NEVER happens to me. I can just imagine my boss's face and attitude after that. Previous employees who made public their intentions to leave the country got the cold shoulder and some snide remarks immediately after. Oh please, let it not happen to me.

Hi MANDYL

No, I am the main applicant. My dad is just the owner of the business I work for.

That is why they asked for my dad.

Will keep you guys up-to-date with the proceedings.

Cheers

Hi MANDYL

No, I am the main applicant. My dad is just the owner of the business I work for.

That is why they asked for my dad.

Will keep you guys up-to-date with the proceedings.

Cheers

O' ok ... Good luck !

Guest colton

Basically the reason they are giving for doing this is because:

I put on my PR 136 application that I am a "plumber" but although I qualified in this field I got better money doing "garden mowing services" and haven't actually worked as a plumber for 5 years although I am qualified. When you apply on the MODL skills list you have to have been working in that specific field within the last two years. Basically I wouldn't qualify because I haven't been doing the work I applied on within that time frame.

The above is just an example to better explain. There are alot of people who are qualified in a profession but actually haven't done any of that work for years. I suppose they feel you are not "up to date"? I can understand their reasoning for doing it but it could cause alot of problems if you haven't told your employers you are planning on leaving.

I have only heard of it happening to people on a 136 visa though, what visa type are you applying for?

Edited by colton