One month to go...anyone else going to Brisbane / Gold Coast?

Sharon

Well, after getting our visas a long time ago, we are finally leaving in less than a month's time. I feel like a real dinosaur on this forum!

Things are hotting up here. Too much to do and not enough time..the usual story I'm sure.

Is anyone else planning a move to Brisbane or the Gold Coast in the next month or two?

Hi! That's very exciting! We are moving to the Gold Coast hopefully July/August this year! It's been very stressful but we're getting there!

See you there soon!

Hi Sharon

I too feel like a dinosaur...have been reading this forum since 2008! To cut a long story short, hubby is off to Brisbane on 4th June to start work 11th June and the rest of us follow 28th June!! We too are running around like mad!!!!!

We would be great if we could meet!

Hi Sharon --- yes I agree you are a dinosaur!!! But glad and happy to see you have returned from extinction..

We are just ahead of you and who knows....we might pop up in Brisbane at the end of June so make sure you have a kettle and good coffee!!

Happy packing!

M

M, what a jolly good idea. Can't wait for that coffee! Getting pretty organised now btw :whome:

SML, let me know when you're due to arrive and perhaps I can help out (by then I might know some of what has to be done)

Non, we got our visas in 2008 so been reading the forum since 2007! I would love to meet up with you, we must keep in touch. What flight are you on? We fly Cathay from HK to Brisbane on 28th - arriving midnight :sleep1:

Gosh, I was beginning to think I was never going to see you here! Just kidding. All the best with the move and we will catch up with you after you get here./

Thanks Eva. Looking forward to seeing you. We are staying on the Gold Coast for 2 weeks so if you visit your friends there after the 28th June, let us know. We leave on 18th so our days are numbered and getting very busy. Off to China and Japan on the way. See you soon!

• Like 1

Yip ! Tickets booked. The 4 of us are arriving in Brisbane on Monday 25 June. Still have to find a job......ouch!

Francois, people often ask if we have jobs lined up and are amazed when we tell them we are going over with no jobs, house, car or anything else! Where are you staying when you arrive and what line of work are you in?

Have not booked our tickets as yet....we are hoping to leave SA on 28th June. Once the "dust has settled" after arriving, we must get together. This is a crazy time for us all.........!!

sharon ....I know exactly what you mean, when people hear that we are also going over with no job, house, car nor the usual paraphernalia when moving, they look at us like we are stark raving mad......with the shocked look on their faces one would think we were moving to mars.....it really is quite funny to watch this reaction.

Likewise - I joke and say no job, no money, no house and no country... Most people seem horrified we have nothing to go to but isn't that part of the excitement??? Sounds like Brisbane is the place to be. Where are all the Canberrians?

• Like 1

Hi Sharon, we are staying with friends (Old colleagues) in North Lakes till we can find a job, house etc. I am in the IT industry (Business systems analyst). Have been applying for several jobs from here mostly on SEEK website. For the majority I don't get any response and for a few I just got "Your application was unsuccessful" .

What is the situation on your side?

Francois, have you Australianised (??) your CV?

Francois, have you Australianised (??) your CV?

Not sure, can you give me some advice?

Hi Francois, there are tons of websites giving free examples of the Australian format of the CV.  I just googled it and found so many helpful sites.  I have just redone my husbands but I when we go.  They like a long detailed CV, not like here where the shorter and more to the point, the better.  

http://www.nabthatjo...e.htm#537349763

An example of a site but you do pay for this one.

Hope this helps.

We are hopefully leaving by the 2nd or 3rd July for Sydney. People can't believe that we haven't booked flights (waiting for transfer on house), found jobs, somewhere to live or registered our child for school. My boss can't understand why I can't work for the next month if I can't do any of my own packing and doesn't seem to believe me when I say I have soooo much to do. At least I have a step by step plan of what I need to do once transfer goes through. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US.....

Francois, we have had no luck on the job front. We were told by one agent that we won't have any joy until we are actually here. My husband is an Architect. We are responding to adverts on Seek and the Brisbane local paper.

Hi Sharon, we are staying with friends (Old colleagues) in North Lakes till we can find a job, house etc. I am in the IT industry (Business systems analyst). Have been applying for several jobs from here mostly on SEEK website. For the majority I don't get any response and for a few I just got "Your application was unsuccessful" .

What is the situation on your side?

Hi Francois,

Just noticed you will be staying in North Lakes for a while. We will be there from

The 13th of July. I have 2 sister and both my parents in North Lakes! Would be great to maybe meet you sometime

In July.

Good luck for the last leg of the

Immigration journey. We are also going over with no job!

Well....the time has come!! Hubby leaves on Monday for Brisbane and we follow on 28th! We have so much to do before Monday let alone the 28th!! My two teenage daughters are excited but nervous. I think it will hit home when we say goodbye at the airport on Monday.

OMW Non, I really feel for you. We leave on 18th and the container gets packed on the 12th so things are getting hectic. I'm not really thinking about it, just going through the motions! This weekend it's cleaning of tools and sporting equipment - what an awful thought - lucky we still have help! Is your container packed already?

• Like 1

Francois, we have had no luck on the job front. We were told by one agent that we won't have any joy until we are actually here. My husband is an Architect. We are responding to adverts on Seek and the Brisbane local paper.

Hi Sharon. Very exciting. I got the same response from agents so went direct to companies and got an overwhelmingly positive response from prospective employers. There is work to be had!

• Like 1

Hi Sharon We have spent the weekend trying to sort out all the things we want to "toss" before they starting packing the container on the 18th. Hard to believe that this time next month we will be sitting "somewhere" in Brisbane!! Keep telling myself to take one day at a time........

• Like 1

We are spending the weekend cleaning everything from tools to camping chairs and sporting equipment. What a pain. I am sure we are going overboard but rather safe than sorry. The container is being packed next week! We leave the day your container gets packed. I am not thinking about the reality, just looking at it as a long holiday. I know that sooner or later I will have to face it but at least I'm not falling apart now.