Perth trip!

Donovan83

Dont worry once you here and get used to the prices, it stops being scary

• Like 1

Where did you pay $34 for a pizza?? Iv never paid that much! And once you know Perth you soon find the good places to eat

I also had a look at some properties here and there really are some great places. The estate agents were quite helpful and I'm getting the feeling that the WA property market is sinking a bit at the moment. The one apartment I had a look at had been reduced from $530 000 to $399 000 (including all the furniture!). This is good for us moving here soon but not good for people that bought at the high prices. There are lots of benefits of buying in WA - one of which is the $7000 first home owners grant and on top of that (and unique to WA) is a complete exemption from transfer duties on your first home up to $800 000. This can save you around $20 000 or more.

Hi Donavan.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I enjoy reading what people think of Perth on their LSD trips . I am not sure where you got the info of not paying transfer duties on your first home purchase . We bought our first home last year and it was no where near $800 000.00 and we paid transfer fees. We did get the $7000.00 first home buyers grant. My sister bought in Darwin and there is an exemption there of I think upto $500 000.00 , their home was under this amount and they got the exemption. As far as I understand it , If you buy a brand new house then there are no transfer duties.

I understand how you felt when you went back . I went to South Africa last year for two weeks and felt very unsafe , it felt as if I did not belong there anymore. I was very happy to get back home ( Perth)

Wayne

Edited by maxi

Heartsmart beef is always double the price :) Best markets in Perth for fruit and veg are Wanneroo Markets, I wasn't impressed with Freo fruit and veg markets at all. Drovers in Joondalup have a butcher, fish market and fruit and veg, and a bakery plus some other interesting stuff

Reading this thread makes me homesick

Hi Donavan.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I enjoy reading what people think of Perth on their LSD trips . I am not sure where you got the info of not paying transfer duties on your first home purchase . We bought our first home last year and it was no where near $800 000.00 and we paid transfer fees. We did get the $7000.00 first home buyers grant. My sister bought in Darwin and there is an exemption there of I think upto $500 000.00 , their home was under this amount and they got the exemption. As far as I understand it , If you buy a brand new house then there are no transfer duties.

I understand how you felt when you went back . I went to South Africa last year for two weeks and felt very unsafe , it felt as if I did not belong there anymore. I was very happy to get back home ( Perth)

Wayne

Thanks for the info - the exemption is a WA exception - the other states don't have it unless the house you are buying is brand new. I hope the exemption sticks!

Thanks for the info - the exemption is a WA exception - the other states don't have it unless the house you are buying is brand new. I hope the exemption sticks!

Here is a web site that has a stamp duty calculator. There is no exemption in WA over a set amount , unless it is new law within the last 5 months. The calculator works out how much duty you need to pay when buying a older house. It will give you an indication as to how expensive it is to buy a house in australia , unless it is a brand new house .

http://www.infochoic...uty-calculator/

Wayne

Edited by maxi

Here is a web site that has a stamp duty calculator. There is no exemption in WA over a set amount , unless it is new law within the last 5 months. The calculator works out how much duty you need to pay when buying a older house. It will give you an indication as to how expensive it is to buy a house in australia , unless it is a brand new house .

http://www.infochoic...uty-calculator/

Wayne

Thanks :) Well, I'm not sure what houses you guys are buying, but the price range I've been looking at is between $399 000 and $ 550 000.... there isn't much stamp duty on that (none on the $399k one - this was for a one bedroom apartment in the CBD which was fairly spacious.. but only one bedroom... there were 3 bedroom houses in the burbs for around the same price but I prefer to live close to work).

• 4 weeks later...

This is so awesome to be able to get a bird's eye view of Perth. We plan on moving there in the next couple of month if all goes well!!! Thanx Donovan!! Very enticing!!!!

:ilikeit: