Perth trip!

Donovan83

Well it's been a few days since I was last on here so I thought I'd post a message about our trip to Perth! Right now I'm sitting in the hotel on a superbly comfortable bed, after crashing into a deep sleep at about 20:00 and them being wide awake now at 22:30. Gotta love that jet lag. For some reason it seems even worse despite the fact that it's 6 hours and not more like the east coast.

I hadn't actually planned on coming to Perth so early in the year. I wanted to come in September after the rainy season and visit, but circumstances dictated that it had to be now in April. We flew over on SAA (on their code shared JNB/PER route). I've flown with them in this route before, and in complete contradiction to my experience first time round I have to comment SAA this time round. It was one of the most pleasant trips I have ever had. The staff were friendly, the plane was clean and there was plenty of legroom. I just had to mention this since SAA were superkak last time. Maybe they are just nervous since they won't have the code share thing from December.

We arrived at about 13:30 and after gratefully leaving the plane, went to the immigration hall. There was a long queue, but it was moving in an orderly fashion. While waiting in the queue I decided to SMS the family back home to let them know I had arrived safely - and was promptly told that it's a nono (their words) to use cellphones in the restricted area. I just apologized and put it away and reflected that I need need to remember that this isn't Africa and therefore rules will need to be obeyed. Apparently 5 minutes was too long for immigration to allow us to all wait, so they opened a new queue with a few more officials to speed things up. I got to the front and was greeted by a friendly (yet professional) official. She checked everything and asked me what I was bringing in (a friend here asked me to bring her medicine in). After explaining she seemed quite happy, stamped my passport and waved me through. Visa activated!

The officials at the baggage claim also asked what I was bringing in but also just waved me to the exit. I was disappointed, it would have been cool to star in Border Patrol.

My friend collected us from the airport. We go way back, we studied together (she was just basically one year ahead of me). She drove us from the airport to the hotel... and so my first impressions of Perth were formed. We drove along a motorway which seemed surprisingly wide and was also toll free. The landscape was dry: very dry. Picture the highveld after a long winter - that's Perth after summer. The sky is a pristine blue color with thin wispy clouds most of the time. Even though it's autumn (and most of the trees are changing colors) its still very warm. It's not strange to go to the beach or have a swim in the 30°C heat. Very nice :) it is cool in the mornings and in the evenings though.

The first day was spent trying to get reconnected to the net. We went to the Perth CBD which was clean and safe and didn't make me feel threatened. It actually felt just a little odd and almost like I need to find something to feel threatened by. My subconscious chose some unique looking teenagers to fill the gap so I eyed them with suspicion. I found an Optus shop (or is it called Yes Optus? I don't know but nevermind) and was connected within 10 minutes by a friendly knowledgable guy. He asked how long I was here and recommended a plan on which for $2 a day, I had unlimited data, texts, and national voice calls. I could use Skype on 3G as well apparently.

I had expected Perth to be this barren wasteland of closed businesses. It has a reputation for this - at 17:00 the people all go off to some suburb. Considering that it was also Easter weekend I wasn't too hopeful. Yet, as we walked along Hay street we noticed that there was quite a nice vibe going on. Very laid back and pleasant. There are coffee shops, restaurants, take aways. All of them very expensive compared to what you can get for a dollar in the supermarket (but that is the same anywhere). We had a quick wander around and my friend decided to take us to see Cottesloe. All I can say is - wow! Spotless and pristine. We watched the sun set (my first sunset I had ever seen on a west coast so it was quite surreal actually). The sand squeaks when you walk on it. It almost felt like a cliche to find pretty shells on the beach as well - when last have you seen shells in a beach in SA?

After fighting to stay awake until 20:30, and after a few delicious ciders (try a Rekorderlig!) I managed to hit the hay at about 21:00 and fell asleep straight away. Then woke up at 2:00 as if it was morning or something. Deon had the same problem so we decided to go for a walk through the CBD. My saffa spirit alive and well felt a bit terrified at the prospect, but thankfully there were some teenagers on the streets to be fearful of. We wandered through the quiet streets and along the foreshore by the Swan Bells. It's quite a nice feeling to walk around a sleeping city. The wind whispered around us, the bells in the city's clocks dinged their tunes. We heard a police siren once as well... Making my blood curl in terror for some reason. Anyway, despite almost excreting a brick at every shadow, we got back to the hotel and slept the sleep of angels for 4:00 to 9:00. Nice!

Next morning we oozed out of bed and went scavenging for breakfast. We found a coffee shop that was open (it was Easter Sunday morning after all). I had an English breakfast for $16.50 ( :o ) and Deon had a continental breakfast for around $10. I opted for the English breakfast because I think that restaurants use "continental" as a synonym for "crappy". My breakfast was delicious, his consisted of a dry croissant. I lol'd.

By the time we finished breakfast, the city had come to life. More shops were open and things were lively. We looked through the "toy" shops like the iStore (I managed to refrain from buying a shiny iPad 3 for now) and JB Hifi and found that in general electronics are about 20% cheaper here. Nice. In fact, I've noticed that things aren't quite as expensive as they seemed the first time I came over in 2008 - many items are cheaper not only in the toy stores but also at the supermarkets. Not meat, though. Petrol is actually cheaper here now than in SA.

After this we went and rented some bicycles and cycled all around the swan river. It was brilliant. Everyone here that you pass in the street, especially the under 40s crowd, are all lean, toned and tanned. We feel so ugly and keep wondering what they are adding to the water supply here (ha ha ha...). We can see why though - there are lovely bike paths everywhere and the weather is superb. I was expecting the air to be dry and dusty. It's actually just perfect - the air is gently humid. Both of us suffer from respiratory problems of varying severity in Joburg because of all the pollution, and within 24 hours neither of us even have a postnasal drip. Weirdly enough as well, I think that my jet lag and lack of sleep made me see the place differently since it didn't seem quite so dry. They've had rain here recently and everything is quite watered.

So it's day 2 now (almost) the jet lag is still quite bad (went to bed at 20:00 and woke up wide awake at 22:30) so I thought I'd post a quick rambling message.

Perth is very Australian. Laid back, people are friendly and have a nice sense of humor (today, I did one of those sidestep dancy moves when walking towards a guy, and he quipped "someone's drunk!" and I replied eusjkqkkehdhiihejskskk hehe, since I didn't really know what to reply since I thought he was going to knife me or something... ).

I really like it. I was a bit cold towards this place when I first got here since I'm more of a big city kind of person. Or at least I thought I was. But the idea of bring able to buy reasonably priced property (of which there is a lot of nice new stuff being built - I'll be going through some apartments in east Perth sometime this week) and of having a nice outdoorsy, laid back lifestyle sounds great when compared to my life in Joburg.

I'll add some photos when I'm back in SA (ugh!!! My skin crawls at the thought!!). It really is very beautiful here. I'll add some more after exploring a bit more and will also add some more posts :) its so nice to be here.

• Like 13

Wow, you don't waste time considering your visa was granted just the other day!

I'm sure you'll have a brilliant trip, have fun and be sure to post those pics ASAP!!!!!

Thank you for sharing. Cant wait to see your photos. Enjoy the rest of your trip.... :-)

Enjoy, at first I wasn't impressed by Perth but I love it now! Its beautiful

its nice to hear your 'first impressions' - i always enjoy hearing 'new comers' impressions

also makes you appreciate what you have as we get so used to all the nice aspects of australian life.

i 'enjoy' your 'fear of crime' around every corner... (in a kind of weird black humour kind of way). after 3 years I still have to remind myself occasionally 'that this is australia and i dont have to worry'

the cider you had is from sweden. also try 'little creatures' beer here - its made in fremantle and delicious. Talking about fremantle I would recommend you go there - take the train - fremantle is very very nice and quite dissimilar from the rest of perth (you can have a drink/meal at little creatures brewery there next to the harbour).

the perth cbd has actually changed quite a lot in the past few years. much more vibey and there are more of a nightlife - small bars in the laneways etc. also check out the cultural centre and northbridge if you have time

what are your hotel costs like - apparently some hotels now charge $800 a night due to the shortage of accommodation in Perth during the week

for your info, my favourite restaurant in the CBD is 'Taka' - a japanese restaurant on the corner of Wellington and Barrack Street (they have cheap, authentic japanese food - from $6 which includes rice and free tea). There are 2 woolworths supermarkets in the cbd (one near Myer - underground roughly opposite David Jones) and another between St Georges terrace and hay street mall (in lower ground of centre where JB Hifi is). For affordable food - try 'Crousseant Express' - they are everywhere in the CBD (excuse spelling) - you can get nice french bread toasted with cheese and bacon for $3. And of course Hungry Jacks (in William Street opposite Dick smith) - they have a cheap deal of small hamburger, small fries and chips for $4.

enjoy!

e

Edited by Emille
  • Like 2

Hi Donovon

Your post felt like my “trip down memory lane”!!!!!! :)

Me and hubby were there twice now, and cannot wait to show my son, Donavinn (23) all these places!!!! Currently working in the security industry and constantly telling my son not to stay out late, and to be vigilant at day and night not to be hi-jacked, :ph34r: I cannot wait to start our lives in a country were one could still walk the streets and parks late in the evening or early in the morning. :ilikeit: You guys must enjoy. We will arrive in middle May.

Thx for the post.

Mercia

Sounds Great! Can't wait to get there.

Please post your fotos ASAP.

• Like 1

Well I guess another post is in order!

The Easter weekend ended this morning in a big way. I had been emailing estate agents to try view some properties while I'm here and also been trying to arrange to at least meet a few people and network a bit for when I do want to come over. Nobody seems to do much over Easter to the point that at night, the buildings in the CBD basically sit in darkness. I had no replies to mails or calls, nothing, nada. I guess that is the point of Easter - its time for family and friends and not for work.

This morning my phone has been pinging and beeping and ringing almost constantly. I actually regret my brute forcing of all the estate agents on Domain since now they all are replying. I also managed to arrange to see some recruitment people at two of the big 4 firms and I have a meeting with a recruiter that will probably lead to an interview at a smaller firm. Not bad. I did lay the groundwork for that a few weeks ago though so its not like I just arrived and tried to arrange things.

Anyway - I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that Perth didn't live up to its reputation of being a ghost town that is really boring. Maybe this used to be the case but it's definitely not any more. Even on Easter Monday there were some shops open. Today the place was buzzing with people going about their business. I was quite surprised that so many guys wear the same clothes for work - a light blue shirt with smart black or grey pants. Surprised because of all my shirts back home, the one I chose to bring with me seems to fit in the best... Maybe it's a sign. Nobody wears ties, but I do for interviews. Just in case.

Yesterday I visited my friends who stay about 6km out of the CBD. I took the bus and was there in about 10 minutes. One thing that always strikes me about Australia is how it is so old school. I don't mean this in a bad way though, in fact I really like it. It's little things - the workers a construction site ogling some pretty blonde with a short skirt, the friendliness and willingness of the bus drivers to help you if you are lost (they usually tell you when to get off the bus which is quite nice since it doesn't stop unless you press the button). My friends and I decided to go to the beach. We decided to take our bikes... Which was fun except that we had to take the umbrella and towels and stuff with. This is fun and complicated on a bicycle, especially when the last time you rode one properly was in school (apart from an occasional visit to the virgin active). So, in the heat and against a breeze that eventually felt like it was a gale force gusting directly opposite to the way we were going, we set off. It was brilliant. I felt like I was alive for the first time in a very long time. The route we took was through some suburbs to the north west of the city. It reminds me of the neighborhood that I grew up in (Discovery, Roodepoort) back before the big changes in RSA. Oldish mining town type houses that I imagine have pressed ceilings and wooden floors. There were very few walls, if there were walls there were no gates (and if there were gates then they were usually just standing open). The neighborhoods were QUIET - no barking dogs and no alarms going off. And not a single electric fence to be seen anywhere. There were some burglar bar type things but it turns out that they were just fly screens.

I've always liked cycling (I do not plan to own a car here). We went to Brighton beach (which sounds much more British than it really is). We locked the bikes at the bike park, had a slurp of water from the drinking fountain and went to swim. It was a bit unnerving leaving my iPhone, wallet and sunglasses on the beach in their bag without needing to hide them or somehow lock them down but nobody else seemed worried and they were still there when I got back.

I'm nervous of the beach here. There have been a few shark attacks recently so I kept my swim brief and shallow. My friends boogie boarded for a while so I took the time to call home. Would you believe that here the 3G is so good that you can do a Skype video call on 3G and there's no lag? The only thing that leaves you with bad quality video is the other persons speed - in this case the quality was not too bad considering my parents only have a 384k line. I showed them in real time where I was and what it looked like and and a nice chat and then chilled for a while in the shade. The nice part of all this is that it's cheap - for $2 a day, you get unlimited national calls, texts and data on your device. Which, if your phone runs Skype, translates into dirt cheap calls- free if people at home also have it.

I've noticed that the tap water hasn't got a very pleasant taste. Its very minerally. You can drink it but it tastes MUCH better once it has been filtered in one of those Brita jugs. Apparently it is very full of minerals (not sure why yet, I will try find out). So much so that the iron content turns the sidewalks rust colored wherever people water their lawns on a regular basis.

Oh yeah another thing about the beach. People are attractive. It's really upsetting. I don't think of myself as very good looking (or even average looking). I have that horrible almost blue British skin that is not very appealing. I'm not well built (but at least not fat!) but those people take the cake - I think it's that weird tap water or something. Lean, toned, bronzed bodies adorn the whole beach. Then there was me, white and conspicuous. And yet I didn't feel self conscious - nobody looked and there didn't seem to be a vibe of keeping up with the joneses. Quite pleasant. People are friendly too. We played volleyball and there was a group near us and our ball bounced towards them - the one guy joked as if it was attacking him and said "save meeeeee" then chucked it back. It was a far cry from the scowl you get in SA on Umhlanga beach in the middle of December if you so much as put one centimeter of towel into someone else's spot.

Lastly on the beach (I love beaches, not sure if you picked that up). They aren't crowded. These are "busy" - in that there were probably 15 to 20 others there. A little further up there were lifeguards and there it looked like maybe another 80 people.

There are some things that arent perfect. There is more litter around than I'd like and um... Well thats about it. Oh, and the occasional drunk in the street (which tends to leave you alone). I'll try see what else's wrong but for now that's about it.

• Like 7

Awesome post. Perth is where we want to go, but had to go SA state sponsorship as my skills weren't on WA SS. That is fine though..2 years and then we can get there. Glad you are having a great time

Cool posts Donovan...sounds like a wonderful validation trip. About all lose lean, toned bodies - I used to swim every day and when we got to Sydney went to the public swimming pools to do laps. I felt like a fish out of water!!!! Everyone looked like Ryk Neethling...except me!! I donned my goggles and did my 30 laps in true Mr Bean style!!

• Like 2

Donovan

Cannot wait for your next post :ilikeit::D

Well done Donovan. I have to agree with Jordy, I love reading about peoples first impressions of Perth.

2 things

1) Thats rust colour you see when people water on the lime stone retainning walls, thats from the tannins in the BORE WATER.

2) People are so nicely tanned at the beach, becuase they can go to the beach!!!

Lol I disagree I think the water here makes you fat, everyone I know here gains weight :( you do get used to the taste of it though I hated it at first it tastes normal to me now

• Like 1

Well done Donovan. I have to agree with Jordy, I love reading about peoples first impressions of Perth.

2 things

1) Thats rust colour you see when people water on the lime stone retainning walls, thats from the tannins in the BORE WATER.

2) People are so nicely tanned at the beach, becuase they can go to the beach!!!

For interest sake… What are Tannins?

Tannins are a natural organic material that can be the by-products of nature’s fermentation process, be created as water passes through peaty soil and decaying vegetation. This can cause water to have a faint yellow to tea-like color, and can cause yellow staining on fabrics, fixtures, china and laundry. Tannins may give a tangy or tart aftertaste to water. They may also cause water to have a musty or earthy odour. Tannins – also known as fulvic or humic acid – are more common in surface water supplies and shallow wells than in deep wells. Water in marshy, low-lying, or coastal areas is also more susceptible to tannins.

What are the health effects of Tannins?

Tannins are considered an aesthetic problem. While they may make water unappealing to drink and stain laundry, they present no health hazard.

Should I test my water for Tannins?

Tannins create a light yellow to dark brown discoloration in the water. A simple test for tannins involves filling a clear glass with water and letting it sit overnight. If the color settles to the bottom of the glass, the discoloration is most likely caused by iron and/or manganese and not tannins. If the intensity of the color remains intact, it is most likely caused by tannins. If you suspect your water may contain tannins and wish to know how much tannin is present in your water, contact your local or state health department for a list of state-certified laboratories that can perform tannin testing. You may also wish to test for sulfates, alkalinity, iron, total dissolved solids (TDS) and hardness, as these may help determine which treatment method(s) will be most effective for your situation. There is another reason to test for iron along with tannins; iron creates a false positive for tannins and must be subtracted from the tannin result to determine that true tannin concentration.

What can I use to remove Tannins from my water?

Common tannin treatment uses an organic scavenging anion exchange resin. The anion resin is sensitive to hardness, so most systems include a water softener as pre-treatment. The water softener extends the life of the anion resin and increases tannin absorption.

The water also taste different in the Transavaal compared to the Western Cape. Once you get used to one, the other one seems :(

Thank you Donovan for your posts. It is really aspiring.

I can't wait to experience Perth first hand.

Please keep the posts coming, and I can't wait to see the pics.

Enjoy every moment.

Hey guys, I finally have a moment to make another post :)

Thanks for all the positive messages from you all :) its really nice when people enjoy something you submit. It's especially nice when it's a positive bunch of posts instead of the usual doom and gloom of SA and the stress of applying for a visa.

Although the main reason for coming over now was to activate our visa, I also wanted to achieve certain things - look at apartments and properties, try network a bit and maybe get to experience an interview and experience the "lifestyle". Deon couldn't really get too involved with all of that because he has had to do quite a bit of work remotely, but he has joined me where he can.

I'll start off with my experiences over the past few days of dealing with recruitment agents, companies and business people in Perth. I had been laying the groundwork for the last 3 months to try get in touch with people in the firms. There is a big recruitment freeze on at the moment with audit staff at my level so this has been quite difficult. Nevertheless, I managed to get to meet a partner each at two large firms and in both cases things went well. The one partner I met through emails I had with the recruitment senior and the other one was arranged through someone I used to study with that moved to Perth about a year ago. My last meeting was arranged by a recruitment agent that I got in touch with via seek.com.au (interestingly enough, I applied for about 10 positions just to try get an interview anywhere - only one reply came, and I think it was probably because it was the only one I included a cover letter with).

There isn't much difference at face value between RSA and Perth in terms of processes to arrange to meet people and in the actual interviews. They chat to you and have a look through your CV and ask a few questions, then let you ask a few questions. One thing that is quite different is that business cards seem to be quite a big thing here - in all the interviews there was a bit of an awkward moment at the end when they offered me their business cards and where I didn't have one to provide. In one meeting (thankfully with a recruiter so the damage wasn't too severe and I could apologize it away) I wrote a phone number on her business card. DO NOT do this! Imagine the vibe if you had just politely had a cup of tea and a chat with someone for an hour, and right at the end you stood up and unexpectedly defecated in their lounge pot plant - that would probably be similar to how it was when I wrote on that business card. Apart from that unfortunate incident, my meetings went well and I have hopefully opened the door so that if I ever need to have an interview or apply at a later stage for a position then at least I've met in person.

I also had a look at some properties here and there really are some great places. The estate agents were quite helpful and I'm getting the feeling that the WA property market is sinking a bit at the moment. The one apartment I had a look at had been reduced from $530 000 to $399 000 (including all the furniture!). This is good for us moving here soon but not good for people that bought at the high prices. There are lots of benefits of buying in WA - one of which is the $7000 first home owners grant and on top of that (and unique to WA) is a complete exemption from transfer duties on your first home up to $800 000. This can save you around $20 000 or more.

While on the financial aspects, I just wanted to mention my experience of opening a bank account. I chose NAB because they offer a fee free current account with an electronic savings account, and Internet banking. They wont give you a credit card unless you have been in a permanent job (or equivalent) for at least 3 months, but you get a visa debit card so you can easily register for things like the Australian iTunes store (yay!). Well it's VERY different to SA. In SA you are made to feel like a criminal - why do you want this account? What for? Where did this money come from? Please provide proof of address, proof of income (even if not applying for credit). Please also pee in this cup as you need to be tested for drugs and or infections before we can open your account. Also, we will charge you to put money into your account, draw money from your account, etc etc. We walked into the NAB, they only wanted to see our passports and that was all the ID I had to provide. Seriously, that was it. They were friendly and helpful throughout and the whole vibe is different - they want you to be their customer, they seem to realize that you are choosing to bank with them and not that they are doing you a favour by allowing you to give them your money. What I liked the most is simple things, like how the tellers joked with me and interacted with me as if they were people too instead of just stamping and glaring away at me through 4" of bullet proof glass - speaking of which, the tellers here sit behind perspex type stuff but it's really more for decoration. Its actually just on the sides, you speak to them face to face. There is also just an open door which opens onto the street - no time delay doors, nothing.

I also have been trying to see how people who work are living here. In all cases without any exception, including friends that I am live g with now, EVERYONE is better off than they were in RSA. No exceptions whatsoever. Things are expensive, but our friends are renting a larger house than us (3 bedroom with a garden and a lake view instead of our 2 bedroom flat), they have bought a car, furnished the house with modern and nice furniture and appliances, AND are saving around $4 000 per month between the two of them for their wedding. They are not struggling. They do not even have a credit card. Our other friends on the east coast just bought a house and are having a baby - she has taken 12 months off work and her husband earns enough to support her and the baby. There is lots of fear and uncertainty spread in SA about people who can't cope here, but I just don't see that to be the case. If you come over here and see that a loaf of bread is R 45 then you will obviously draw this conclusion. Wrongly. Life is good here - and sure things are expensive, but there is a lot to enjoy that costs nothing.

Today I decided to cycle into the city proper. We stayed at the Parmelia Hilton (we got a special rate - EXCELLENT hotel) until yesterday and we are now in an area called Churchlands with some friends I studied with. The first thing I felt was nervous - their place is on a lake, there are no burglar bars. Right now im sitting typing on my iPad n full view of the windows - who could be out there watching me? Waiting for me to go to bed so they can break in and take my stuff? Or worse? I think it will take a while for me to get over that feeling. Anyway back to my story - I decided to cycle into Perth. I originally meant to go to Kings Park but got a bit lost. People were so accommodating on the roads - I felt very safe and very noticed when cycling. I managed to cycle 16km without really noticing that I did!

My trip is coming to a close (and I have decided I'll only upload pictures when I get home). There is so much I'd like to tell you but if I went into any more detail, I'd end up typing for weeks. The only want to see how nice it's here is to come visit or move here. I've got a big day tomorrow - breakfast in Joondalup with some friends, lunch in Fremantle and sme exploring of the markets, a quick trip to the beach to watch the sunset and then out for a party. Then Sunday I fly back to RSA - which I'm dreading terribly. I just can't picture myself going back to my lifestyle in Joburg for very long after experiencing the freedom and relaxed pace of Perth. Guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

• Like 5

Lol at Commonwealth bank they don't even sit behind any sort of Perspex or anything out here in Ellenbrook. Wow $4000 saving a month is a lot, we certainly couldn't do that we only manage about $1000 on a good month.

This sounds wonderful! Cannot wait to see the photos. :ilikeit:

I wish we could save then we might be able to move to Oz sooner…. Try as we might the prices keeping going up eating away at the chance of saving.

yeah, the water is really terrible. I gag every time I brush my teeth. I honestly can't stand it and I'm not joking.....EVERY TIME I brush my teeth. Tasting it is not an option for me.....I can smell the chemicals/minerals (whatever it is) in the water. You've got to be joking if you think I'm going to taste it! Plus, I can't gag and swallow at the same time. hahahaha. I boil the kettle every night and fill up the water jug in the fridge. Removes all smell, and probably goodness too....but at least I can swallow it! Just to be clear, it's not gross as in smells like sewerage or anything....it just smells REALLY chemically! I've been in Perth for 2 months now and I'm not getting used to the water. I hope that changes in time!

Other than that....Perth gets two :ilikeit: from me! I was against moving too, so that says a lot! Don't let my husband know I said that! hahahaaha

Right, I am finally of sound enough mind to type out a last post and put some photos up :)

On our last day we went up to visit some friends in Joondalup, then went to Fremantle in the afternoon. On our visit to our friends, I was amazed at how well they were living... it is insane. We have similar qualifications and similar ages, but when I compare his life to mine in SA he has a far better quality of life than I do. He also owns (or is at least paying off) his home - sure I decided not to buy in SA for obvious reasons, but still. It's actually a common trend I noticed there - people travel more, experience more, eat better, have more freedom. I did try my best to take off the rose colored glasses when I was there (I mean - perhaps they are all living in mountains of debt, but that doesn't seem to be the case).

It was quite funny taking the train up to Joondalup... I keep telling people that the first world isn't flawless. In many ways, SA's stuff is better (in very limited, specific areas, such as the Gautrain). This is one good example - we arrived at the train station to take the train... the signs all said that the train would depart in 5, then 2, then 1 minute... then started counting down again. For a moment I thought I blacked out from the sheer joy of being away from Africa and missed the train, but it turns out that the service had been suspended due to a technical fault. There were no signs announcing this, so after waiting 40 minutes (and having 3 invisible trains pass us) we decided to call the info line. The lady was very apologetic and said that replacement busses were running. We eventually just got a lift with a friend. Thankfully the trains were running again by the time we had to come back to Perth. We chatted to some of the friendly locals who said it was very unusual for there to be such a severe problem, but it does happen. I guess I can live with an occasional problem (especially after living with daily problems like SA with its traffic lights that just flash red for weeks at a time).

Fremantle was beautiful - it reminded me a little of Cape Town. We wandered through the markets (which were... meh. I'm not a fan of flea markets but the other half loves them) and bought some stuff for the folks back home. It was really pleasant, but a little cold. After the markets we went to a nearby beach which was dog-friendly. What a pleasant experience :) There were loads of people out with their dogs, who were running free and incredibly well behaved. The dogs and owners alike were all socializing. Was very pleasant.

We went out for dinner, and I have to say, it seemed to me that Perth could do with a few nicer places to eat out. And by nice, I mean cheaper and better. Perth must be one of the most expensive places I have ever been to eat out - even London was cheaper (but a big margin). Thankfully I am not one to eat out often and the groceries were not overly expensive compared to SA or any other Australian city, so this won't be too much of an issue. I felt somewhat reamed after paying $34 for a margherita pizza which wasn't actually very nice anyway. At least the service was good :) We actually met up with another friend of mine who was there on business and her brother and his fiancé joined us and they too were doing very well for themselves.

The next day we headed back to this festering hole we call home so that we can circle the drain for a few more months before leaving for good. As impressive as the flight there on SAA was is as dismal as it was on the way back. We were on the same plane as before, but we had a much more transformed cabin crew who were under no pains to hide the fact that they really, truly, from their deepest recesses of their souls, couldn't care any less about you as a passenger. The best part of the flight was having the entertainment unit reset 8 times because it kept jamming (no exaggeration) and then giving up when the entire screen fell off the back of the chair in front of me. Which was hilarious in a really tragic kind of way.

I had barely been gone 10 days and I had already forgotten how much I absolutely hate it here. I feel like an unwelcome foreigner. I can't joke with the people behind the teller counter in the bank. I had a taxi lean on their hooter when I slowed down to let someone in in the traffic. I went to the Pick and Pay and greeted the checkout lady with such a friendly "Hello!" and a smile, to which she responded with a glare and a rude grunt of "PLASTIEK?!". This place kills my soul and I think it is probably more than just the surface issues that cause this. It may sound stupid but i have always felt a very deep connection to Australia ever since I visited it for the first time. Perhaps I had a previous life there or something, but it just feels so much like home and any time that I am away from it I become so bitter and twisted. I read my previous posts in this thread and I can see how when I am there it's like the sun comes out. When I'm here it's like the sun has crashed into the earth. Anyway... thankfully my days here are numbered now so it won't be long before I can go "home", as strange as that sounds.

Our first sunset near Cottesloe beach - I'd never seen a West coast sunset before, it was beautiful.

2mott91.jpg

A view of the CBD from the Swan River

orhsv9.jpg

A view of the CBD from Kings Park at night

34486is.jpg

People walking their doggies at the beach :thumbsup:

2rg2xbp.jpg

Food at the Fremantle markets

16bd9vd.jpg

There are separate cycle ways next to many roads (especially main ones). Even when you cycle on the actual road it's very pleasant and the motorists are surprisingly friendly.

2s7xvnp.jpg

Meat was quite expensive!

e8jriv.jpg

Edited by Donovan83
  • Like 3