Pics Of Adelaide, Sa From Our Lsd Trip

zamunda

Being an avid amateur photographer myself, I have great appreciation for good photgraphy and enjoy viewing the world from the wrong side of a lens. :)

Obviously you've seen Australia from quite a few angles then. Would be interessting to hear your overall take on things - not only Adelaide. I'm a Sydneysider and love this city, but came to the realisation that this is Rat Race Central and then you start to think about your life and where you want to be. Maybe it's because we will officially be empty-nesters from this month - part of that process of re-assessing our new freedom... :whome: Anyway, you surely would have your views about your 6 years of Aussie travels, maybe you could share a bit of it - not for my sake, but for all those Aussies to be out there contemplating where they'd want to settle. :ilikeit:

Hi Riekie

In each visit we were based in Melbourne because thats where most of the family lives.

Oz in general, to us, is a great place. Whilst we have spent most of our lives (so far) in Southern Africa we have also lived in the U.S. Overall we found Oz to be the better out of them all. Not surprising, onsidering that Oz is amongst the top 4 countries in the world to live (and that does not include the U.S.).

There were so many things that attracted us to Oz whilst there was also a lot of things that made us want to move out of Africa. Funny thing is there was a time when we actually thought of retiering (when the time came) in Africa. But sadly (for us at least) each year we see things here in Africa moving away from what we value the most. The basics such as service levels, people's attitudes, security, cleanliness of the environment, etc. Even the simple act of driving on the roads seems to become more and more of a hassel and stressful thing. I am talking of society in general (not of any particular group).

There are many problems in every single country in the world, but what matters is how the authorities manage them.

We are well aware, once we move over permanently to Oz, it is not going to be a cake walk. Infact we have set our mind set to going through a tough setteling down period. But with the opportunities available we are looking forward to it. We are prepared to go without maids, gardeners, washing the car, doing work around the house, etc.

With regards to the places in Oz we have visited, here is our take on it:-

Sydney - congested and too fast paced for our liking. However, from a career point of view it is the place to be with lots of opportunities. If we were ones to look for climbing that corporate ladder and making money, then we would have chosen Sydney. We have quite a few friends that have made it there.

Melbourne - Obvious attraction for us as the family lives there. Not as congested (especially if you live in the west) and fast paced. Still lots of opportunities from job perspective. However, still too fast paced for us. We particularly did not like the long traffic sessions and driving times. I remember one time we had to drive (from the west side) almost 2 hours to get to the beach.

Perth - Great place with small city feel. Good job opportunities depedning on the industry one was in. For us, we did not like the dry climate. We have had this for the past two decades so was now looking for a change in environment too :)

Adelaide - This was it for us!! Small city, Whether it was the hills, beach, wine country, etc you wanted to visit (or even live) everything was only a short drive away. If one livd in the heart of the city it was still 30 to 40 mins to just about any where. We found the pace to be much less than that of big cities. leaving more time for things we value the most, such as relationships, appreciaitng the things around us, etc. Whilst we found people all over Oz to be generally very nice. People in South Australia seems a tad more nicer than the rest :)

As I said at the beginning, this is our take on it. Others could always argue the above mentioned.

The best thing is, OZ presents a lot of great opportunities on an even playing field to everyone that is prepared to work hard. If you don't like one place, you can always move to another without too much of a hassel.

• Like 2

Thanks - that's quite interesting to get that objective point of view from a non-Aussie (yet...) Maybe next time you visit Aus, you'll explore Brissie... (Never been there myself - drive through it twice).

I must say, I quite agree with you on the rest of it from the cities I've been to (Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth & Sydney). For me Sydney got even more over populated & congested in the last 8 years. They keep on widening the M2 and it is still a car park!

Every city has a unique vibe and I just LOVE the vibe of Sydney but my favourite places in Australia are those where few people go - out there in the middle of nowhere!

Thank you for these gems of information.

I read these type of "which city" topics with interest. Every person is different and experience places and events differently, but there are common threads in these posts, like cleanliness and degree/level of 'business' of the cities. It gives one a type of expectance of the places, which people like me who has not been all over, can relate to.

The difficult part is seeing it objectively, and not through eyes tinted with our South African experiences. What I mean by this is that unless you have used an honesty box or self-chechout counter, it feels very surreal.

One day it will be our turn...

Edited by Rover

Awesome pics from Adelaide.

Also, thanks @Zamunda and the rest for sharing the experience from other town. Can't wait to get to Perth though.

• 2 weeks later...

Really great shots of Adelaide. They actually made me homesick. Being back in Jhb on Johellesburg after 2 years in adelaide is quite an adjustment.

• 4 weeks later...

Stunning, stunning pics, thank you so much for sharing.

We will arrive in Adelaide in a few weeks, 10 June to be exact :ilikeit:

Stunning, stunning pics, thank you so much for sharing.

We will arrive in Adelaide in a few weeks, 10 June to be exact :ilikeit:

Thanks very much.

All the very best on your move. You will not regret. We can't wait to make the move ourselves.

• Like 1

Great photos of places in Adelaide........been here ten years and love the city, the Adelaide Hills (with it's quaint vlillages, apple, pear and cherry orchards and the vineyards), the Barossa Valley (Australia's premier wine region), Maclaren Vale, the Riverland, the Murray River, Victor Harbour and Horseshoe Bay and the York Peninsula............................ et al..... :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic photos! Ok, Adelaide is now officially on my look-see list! Thanks - I may have skipped over it otherwise