Cold Feet

Browndog

Another thing that confirmed our decision today is the fact that 7 students with 50 distinctions between them have been rejected at UP on the grounds of "poor academic performance". I mean honestly!!!

Quite frankly I think a shoebox is too small! One newspaper and its full ;)

A

@AAAZR..LOL!

Thanks Lynnie, Lyn, Blondiejhb, Renkru, AAAZR and Geeone - your encouragement and the previous posts have been really great. I have my shoebox and will keep cutting out - there is always such a lot hey! Will keep you posted with the next progress. Waiting for the IELTS test on 3/12. Cross your fingers please :ilikeit::D !!

Waiting for the IELTS test on 3/12. Cross your fingers please :ilikeit::D !!

Good luck with IELTS Browndog - there are some free online web sites where you can practice for IELTS.

Some of them have timed exercises - my OH practised and practised at them until he sussed it all out. Knowing the format and the type of questions and the time allowed can be useful in bumping the score a bit.

Good luck I'm sure you will be fine

We have been in Oz for almost 8 months and I can honestly tell you that we have NEVER doubted our decision.... The freedom we have here (and our kids actually have a future here) is amazing!!

We just regret that we did not move earlier.... :blush:

Good luck to you and please let us know how it goes :ilikeit:

Hi there

I could not have said it better, if one is lucky enough to get the opportunity, grab it with both hands! It's not easy and it will be frustrating at times. But fro us, there was never any question. Just keep the target in site. A secure and peaceful future for you and your children.

Good luck my friends

My 2c worth? I have been here fourteen years, and there is absolutely nothing that will make me return to RSA to live! The freedom is something to really be appreciated.

Brown Dog - just dont give up!!

It took us 2 1/2 years to finally get our PR and it was one hell of a roller coaster ride of emotions and stress. Fortunately is like a hurdle race - you jump over one hurdle, run a little bit, and then jump over the next hurdle . Take it step for step and dont let the big picture scare you off!!

We also had 2 cats , but felt it would be better to re-home them than put then through quarantine. Also, if you are going to be renting in Australia for a while, most places dont want pets. It was a hard choice to make, but the cats got good homes and have moved on with their lives , although we still miss them 14 months down the line and shed a silent tear now and then.

But Australia is a great place and you will make new adventures and memories!!

We are on the Gold Coast, just south of Brisbane

My 2c worth? I have been here fourteen years, and there is absolutely nothing that will make me return to RSA to live! The freedom is something to really be appreciated.

Amen!

I am sure I replied top this thread yesterday, but cant find my post.

Dont give up - just hang in there. Immigration is a long process and its expensive. Fortunately it comes in small steps and you sort of pay as you go along the way. And it takes time - ours took 2 1/2 years and when we finally got the visas [Feb 2010] our entire world just changed like that!! We still smile and feel elated when we think of the morning we checked our emails and found that the visa had been granted.

We have been in Australia for 14 months now and are loving every minute of it!!

You did, two messages up from your last one!

Hi everyone. We have started the process and we are making slow progress. After going to the Australian Expo yesterday we realised how expensive everything is and just went into panic mode. It is such a huge step. When do we put the house on the market? Do we take the furniture? We are definitely taking the cats but how do they cope with the 6 months without us and the flight. Would love some encouragement please.

Hi

We were in the same boat - Never thought we will be able to come to Australia as we didn't have enough points or money

Guess what - We are here :-)

I just kept on applying for jobs on seek.com.au and one day I was invited for a telephonic Interview

I got the job offer and they moved us over here at their cost

Just never give up !!!!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Browndog, its really worth it once its all over. Australia is so beautiful and we have made lots of very close friends here. I'm so grateful to be able to live in Adelaide. I think the most important thing is to take things a step at a time. There might be a hundred things to be done, but each one has its own space and time in your life - and that's not all at once! In the meantime enjoy the last days in beautiful Africa and put picture memories in your mind and heart that you can treasure always. Then, once you're here there will be a whole new set of pictures to start storing up :)

Came to AUS with $3000 and 6 suitcases. Borrowed money for our migration process. Landed on 02 September 2011. We have bought 2 cars (one brand new) furnished our house and paid off ALL our RSA dept, and still going strong. LOVE this country. NEVER EVER give up on AUS, every day in RSA is a day wasted.

Similar story Browndog - don't give up. Our visa took 2 years to come through after application and there were times with DIAC processing that we thought it would never happen.

It is so worth it - I'd have waited much longer for this and had considered other options - but so glad it finally happened - hang on in here well worth it.

Word of recommendation try to live your life in the meantime - mind you that is also very hard I didn't really manage it.

It is very daunting and not the easiest thing to do - at times it becomes too much and you think: what am I DOING?!

So many people have done it - some without agents, sponsorship or any other help and with very little in the bank and in their suitcases. If they could do it, you could do it.

Read Read Read..... There's a wealth of information on the forum. And if you don't find it, ask! (As far as visa info and the like goes, always just check the date of the post as some visa information may no longer be the same - always best to double check that you're on the rigth track).

If you get disheartened, shout - we are here to help & support.

Most important: decide if you want to do it, or not - if you're still in doubt, think again, talk to your family (the ones who will come with you) make sure you're all on the same page and in it together, come hell or high water. If you think you might change your mind, you probably will. This is the hardest part.

Once you've made that decision, take the rest bit by bit and as they arise, don't try to find all the answers right now. There's no point in stressing about when to sell the car (or which suburb to live in Australia) if you're still in the which visa phase.

How does an ant eat an elephant? Bite for bite....

Welcome to the forum and good luck! thumbup.gif

Archived