Cold Feet

Browndog

Hi everyone. We have started the process and we are making slow progress. After going to the Australian Expo yesterday we realised how expensive everything is and just went into panic mode. It is such a huge step. When do we put the house on the market? Do we take the furniture? We are definitely taking the cats but how do they cope with the 6 months without us and the flight. Would love some encouragement please.

It can all be very overwhelming, I agree!

In my opinion..If you've made the decision to go,just get the ball rolling! And try to get your application in as soon as possible.

You still have a year from the date visa is granted (or when medicals was done),add to that the time it takes to actually get documents ready to lodge application (skills assessments,IELTS etc) and then the time it takes for visa to be granted...I'm not saying you have years and years to do everything I'm just saying its also not going to happen overnight.

Start saving like a mad person!! In our case that meant selling our one car to repay some debt and also save on monthly repayments and petrol! Also we don't have a domestic any more...

Contact an agent for a free assessment to see what your visa options are then make an informed decision. Are you on the skills list etc etc. We used Stephen Dickson from Migration Outcomes Australia (SD_MOA on forum).

Most important step...Decide to stay or go and remember where there's a will there's a way!!!

Good luck,you've come to the right place for help :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

A

It can all be very overwhelming, I agree!

In my opinion..If you've made the decision to go,just get the ball rolling! And try to get your application in as soon as possible.

You still have a year from the date visa is granted (or when medicals was done),add to that the time it takes to actually get documents ready to lodge application (skills assessments,IELTS etc) and then the time it takes for visa to be granted...I'm not saying you have years and years to do everything I'm just saying its also not going to happen overnight.

Start saving like a mad person!! In our case that meant selling our one car to repay some debt and also save on monthly repayments and petrol! Also we don't have a domestic any more...

Contact an agent for a free assessment to see what your visa options are then make an informed decision. Are you on the skills list etc etc. We used Stephen Dickson from Migration Outcomes Australia (SD_MOA on forum).

Most important step...Decide to stay or go and remember where there's a will there's a way!!!

Good luck,you've come to the right place for help :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

A

If you ever find yourself doubting, just listen to or read the news ... should re-ignite the fire to go, go, go!

Eish Dono. You are so right. @Browndog...It is a costly exercise but all worth it. Start the ball rolling and try to get your application lodged ASAP, preferably before 1st July next year. DIAC makes changes every year! Do what you need to do to get that visa. We were a bit hesitant to sell our house before we knew if we got the visas or not. Our lives felt like they were on hold. We only put our house on the market three weeks ago. Wasted three weeks (after we got our visas) trying to sell it oursleves. At this stage we are just praying that we get a buyer before Xmas. All the best with everything. Stay positive and be patient. The waiting can be frustrating.

Hi,

We decided in 2007 that we wanted to go. I applied for and received a successful TRA skills assessment in 2007.

We were only ready, for various reasons and delays to receive work references and other documents, to apply for a 175 visa in January 2009. Our application took two years and two months to be approved (March 2011).

The point is, do it and do it now.

What got me through the waiting was to put it out of my mind completely - maybe I am just weird but it worked for me. I refused to allow my life to be put on hold and to drive myself nuts while waiting for something that was out of my hands or control.

Now that I have the visa - I can think of nothing else :>

We leave for Oz in January 2012

Craig

I would recommend that you get the ball rolling by taking a trip to Home Affairs. You will need to leave plenty of time to get your unabridged certificates, and I have always found that just 5 minutes in that place and I am ready to SWIM to Australia!!! It works every time, erases all doubts. We even managed to witness a stabbing there for good measure. Just an added push in the right direction.

But seriously, have faith, the biggest step is the first one. We started out our journey with very little (and still have some of it left :) ) If your mind is right you will find the money. Every time that we needed to meet expenses (and due to an expensive process to convert my qualifications we stopped counting at R150 000), there was enough. I always joked that just when I thought our cup would "runeth over", the cup got bigger!

We have submitted our visa application and should have enough left over for a container, our flights and a tiny bit in reserve (I have faith that it will be enough, it always has been in the past). We sold our house on the first show house, not for a huge profit, but ENOUGH (to the cent) to settle our debt and pay for the visa application. By the time that we leave our cars will be some way below trade value and I am sure that we will be able to walk away with settlements on both of them.

Have faith, if it is to happen, it will. At the right time and at the right pace!

Hi browndog

We arrived end of Feb this year after a 3 year struggle with process changes etc. Brought our 2 cats and they were just fine in quarantine for 7 months. We did not come with much money a little, but it is just money. What we have here now, we laugh a lot more, my kids are happy and relaxed and enjoying their new lives (14 & 7).

We do miss family but my wife chats to her folks all the time on skype, in fact she chats more now than before we left.

Not an easy decision to make and also not easy leaving South Africa but all worth it.

Hi Browndog

Yes it is expensive and try not to scare yourself with the costs at this end by comparing them to Rand. Try to save enough to cover you for a few months if you have not got a job before you arrive.

But the reality is the costs here are not as bad as they look when you compare them to the salary you earn here. Once you start earning AU$ it becomes a heck of a lot easier - and the life style change - well... you've got to live it to believe it!

Hi there,

Panic is normal, and is a feeling (along with many others) you will come to know well as you go through the process of emigtrating :whome:

It's a big move, a big decision and panic and doubt is just your brain's risk averse side doing what it's designed to do. When that happens you tend to start seeking out every little negative as a justification for not going through with it. My advice is to maintain focus on the big picture reason(s) why you are wanting to make the move and to keep your eye on the end goal of settling in Aus. But try to not constintantly overthink it either. Once you've decided in principle to go through the process focus on and deal with each short term milestone as they come up....IELTS....PCCs...medicals...etc....until you eventually get to the pointy end off it.

Australia is an awesome place and well worth all the pain and effort.

z

Go get your birth certificates anyway.

These documents do not expire and you never know when you might need them.

I was chatting to hubby this morning whilst reading Better Homes and Gardens, their Christmas issue. We couldnt believe that this will be our 4th Aussie Christmas.

Back in 2007,when our "luck" eventually ran out, we too thought this was a long lonely and expensive process - so many mountains to climb. But we did, and most of us on this forum have expressed sadness, impatience, frustration, tears, doubt and cold feet. What if ????

Just do one thing at a time, it all eventually falls into place.

Stay positive, stay focused, jot down your goals - be prepared to start at the bottom again - realise too that everything in Australia will be different, you will need to make adjustments and get out of your comfort zone. Once you have achieved all this its all plain sailing after that.

If you decide you are ready for a huge adventure, get all your papers, pics, tests, meds etc, one by one, and eventually you too can be enjoying living life as it should be lived.

Good Luck.

Wonderful that so many of you replied. Thanks so much - it really has made us feel a lot better. Good luck and best wishes. Will keep you updated. Got our Un-abridged birth certificates so that is something!

....... We couldnt believe that this will be our 4th Aussie Christmas. .........

:ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Hey Browndog,

We've also gone through the whole process and are leaving for Sydney early Feb.

You need to deal with one thing at a time. It is overwhelming if you try to think of and organise EVERYTHING all in one go. You'll be surprised that some things really aren't as stressful and difficult as you think now. We're taking a container, sold our house this weekend, will be selling 2 cars, got 2 little kids etc etc. Do one thing at a time and it'll all fall into place.

Try do a monthly budget in AU$ and don't directly convert the figures from AU$ to rands. It'll give you a better idea of what you'll need to be earning in Oz. It really isn't as bad as I had initially though.

Someone told me the other day to keep a shoebox and every time there's an article in the paper that really stresses me and makes me want to just ditch everything here and get my kids on a plane asap, put the article in the box. When you're having a day where you question your decision, open the shoebox and read some of the articles. I think I'm going to start a box :rolleyes:

I've found this forum to be a lifesaver (never mind sanity saver :lol: ). Ask loads of questions (any questions) and those of us who are further down the line will tell you what we've done and what to look out for.

Keep your eye on the ball and don't give up. You're not alone :ilikeit:

There is no easy to migrate (at least for most people)

It has made me grey(er) long before my time, but I wouldn't swap the experience for the world. Go for it man!

Hey Browndog,

We've also gone through the whole process and are leaving for Sydney early Feb.

You need to deal with one thing at a time. It is overwhelming if you try to think of and organise EVERYTHING all in one go. You'll be surprised that some things really aren't as stressful and difficult as you think now. We're taking a container, sold our house this weekend, will be selling 2 cars, got 2 little kids etc etc. Do one thing at a time and it'll all fall into place.

Try do a monthly budget in AU$ and don't directly convert the figures from AU$ to rands. It'll give you a better idea of what you'll need to be earning in Oz. It really isn't as bad as I had initially though.

Someone told me the other day to keep a shoebox and every time there's an article in the paper that really stresses me and makes me want to just ditch everything here and get my kids on a plane asap, put the article in the box. When you're having a day where you question your decision, open the shoebox and read some of the articles. I think I'm going to start a box :rolleyes:

I've found this forum to be a lifesaver (never mind sanity saver :lol: ). Ask loads of questions (any questions) and those of us who are further down the line will tell you what we've done and what to look out for.

Keep your eye on the ball and don't give up. You're not alone :ilikeit:

We have been in Oz for almost 8 months and I can honestly tell you that we have NEVER doubted our decision.... The freedom we have here (and our kids actually have a future here) is amazing!!

We just regret that we did not move earlier.... :blush:

Good luck to you and please let us know how it goes :ilikeit:

I often hear that people do this for their children - Now that Ive been here for awhile, I realise that it wasnt just for my kids, but for me too.

Yes, your kids will have better opportunites, AND SO WILL YOU.

Yes, it is VERY EXPENSIVE :o , but also a very drawn out process which seems to help with the expenses, as you pay for different things as you go along and not all up front.

My only advice is MAKE THE DECISION and then go with it. You won't have any idea how long the visa will take, for some of us it was 31/2 years for others I think about 2, but don't put your life on hold waiting for it to happen, if it's meant to be it will be. I like the shoebox idea though. :ilikeit:

Good luck with the process, and don't give up, even though you will have days that you wonder is it all worth it :unsure:

The answer : ABSOLUTELY :)

Regards

Blondiejhb

Hi Browndog,

We are also in the process of applying for our visa. Some mornings I wake up and think "what are we doing!", but then I listen to the radio on my way to dropping my child at school and I once again realise that we have made the right choice. The process is costly, but somehow we have managed and I am sure you will too.

I love the shoebox idea, will definitely help with the doubt that will kick in once we're in Oz.

Another thing that confirmed our decision today is the fact that 7 students with 50 distinctions between them have been rejected at UP on the grounds of "poor academic performance". I mean honestly!!!

Quite frankly I think a shoebox is too small! One newspaper and its full ;)

A

Archived