101 Things To Do When You First Arrive?

Claudia haycocks

That is just TOTALLY unacceptable when you are publishing articles as a journalist. Ethics 101 - if you want to keep your credibility, never pass off someone elses work as your own - not even by mistake. I know, I'm in the business...

Another thing I have thought of when you get here - is the points system. To get things like rental / credit you need to show you have points.

Your passport will give you points

So will a medicare card (we signed up immediately - very useful thing to have)

Your driving licence (when you get one)

Your bank card

When you go and validate yourself at the bank (we opened our account from RSA) ask them to print you a bank statement with your address (even if it is just a temp address) it will assist you in a number of things where you need proof of address

Try to get a couple of Australian referees if you are going to be renting.

Claudia,

Don't forget to add "Bring Kevin & the kids" to your list!

Hey Short&Tall, thank you again for all the advice, please keep thinking and adding, every little thing adds up to "one much smoother ride"smile.gif

Another thing I have thought of when you get here - is the points system. To get things like rental / credit you need to show you have points.

Your passport will give you points

So will a medicare card (we signed up immediately - very useful thing to have)

Your driving licence (when you get one)

Your bank card

When you go and validate yourself at the bank (we opened our account from RSA) ask them to print you a bank statement with your address (even if it is just a temp address) it will assist you in a number of things where you need proof of address

Try to get a couple of Australian referees if you are going to be renting.

Mmmhhhhh I believe you've been spying on me Goldcoaster.......how are you all doing?? Thanks for the advice, and here I was thinking I may just get away without bringing all the extras hehehehhehehe............Got any more handy advice for me? Grand eve thumbup.gif

Claudia,

Don't forget to add "Bring Kevin & the kids" to your list!

Hi Riekie,

I just want to clear something up...

There are two articles on Sabona. 1. "100 point immigration checklist " written by this person and then a second one :"Ten tips once you have arrived" written by Edwin Schultz.

This thread is about things to do when you first arrive,so are you referring to the second article "Ten tips once you have arrived" because if so, it was written by Edwin Schultz and not this person. The one written by this person has the following written underneath the topic:

"The information provided below is based on various posts from the http://www.saaustralia.org/ forums often using copy and paste'. Credit belongs to the forum members and not the collator of this article. All the best of good fortune as work toward getting to step 100."

Was this maybe added recently?

I'm not doubting that your information were copied and pasted because I've read most of your posts so I know the quality of the information you give,I just want to clear up which article you are referring to as I would hate to see this person take the blame for the wrong article...

A

• 2 weeks later...

Hi A I am still new to this forum and still learning how to navigate my way around. The problem is that I keep on getting sidetracked by other topics. Any idea what would be the quickest way for me to find Rickies 100 checklist. I've only just started reading through topics after a few weeks of hubby reading me a few extracts, and after only a few days I am addicted. The people involved are amazing.

Regards

Blondiejhb :ilikeit:

Hi blondiejhb,

I sent you a PM earlier ;)

The 100 point checklist is one written by Jordy:

One written by Riekie that I found very useful is:

And the one from DIAC about settling in Australia etc:

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/

I like the DIAC one because it covers all the stuff that you have to do upon arrival as well as a section about "Beginnig a new life in Australia". Do yourself a favour and download the document under "Beginning a new life in Australia"

Good luck and read your PM ;):ilikeit:

A

Hi blondiejhb,

I sent you a PM earlier ;)

The 100 point checklist is one written by Jordy:

One written by Riekie that I found very useful is:

And the one from DIAC about settling in Australia etc:

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/

I like the DIAC one because it covers all the stuff that you have to do upon arrival as well as a section about "Beginnig a new life in Australia". Do yourself a favour and download the document under "Beginning a new life in Australia"

Good luck and read your PM ;):ilikeit:

A

OK, hence the name blondie, but where do I find my PM which I assume means personal message :lol:

OK, hence the name blondie, but where do I find my PM which I assume means personal message :lol:

Top righthand corner of page you will see your profile pic and your name. Next to it you will find an arrow (drop-down menu). Click on it,4th option is Messenger and voila! Easy peasy :ilikeit:

Archived