101 Things To Do When You First Arrive?

Claudia haycocks

Hey there everyone. Have been looking through endless pages, relating to peoples experiences both in Oz and RSA. I'm simply amazed at the things people share, invaluable to so many of us still out here. At this stage however, I've simply not had the chance to look through absolutely everything, and when I put questions out there, very possibly repeats, am hoping there are others like me, who've not had a chance to read through all. Anyway, as I've looked through pages, I've tried to take note of things that will apply to our family at this stage, but more significantly am wondering whether there is a comprehensive page, link or something similar that would advise on things to do when we literally first land. A couple that stand out, are things such as a Tax File numbers, Bank Accounts, International Drivers License, just read something on Australian Police Clearance needed for the renting of a home etc, etc. I was hoping for there may be a list that would not only provide the essential important 'to do's', but too, where this would need to be done, who one may need to contact, and an added bonus would be, why these are the essentials, that is....IDL = buy a car etc. Alternatively any chance people could share their experiences in relation to what they considered had to be done from the word go. Essentially this would allow me (the control freak element again) to literally try and plan the itinerary for the first few days after our arrival. Then perhaps I could provide something of the sort to assist others in a similar position in the event something like this isn't out there already. Thank you all in advance unsure.gif

I'll keep my eye on this post. I'd love to have a list like that!

There's a 100 step list under application from Jordy that was invaluable during the application process.

Hey Olgam, fantastic, thank the pope there are a few more me's out there rolleyes.gif.....yip thanks for the note on Jordy's post, found that, saved it and will be printing it out with everything else. Hope we get some comments here, it will be grand to have all the 'need to dos' organized in my mind before actually landing. Wishing you a fab weekend smile.gif

I get regular emails from the Sabona magazine - and this is an extract from their last newsletter - it might help.............

I really enjoyed the list "100 things to do before you emigrate" from this website, and found it very useful as a check-list to make sure we had everything covered before and during the move. I have been in Perth for a year now, working in the investment team for a large government super fund, and thought I'd share 10 tips (mainly with a financial slant) on useful things I discovered to help save a few $ and make settling in easier.

1. Mobile contract

Lebara mobile offer a great pay as you go service with very good rates. The last time I checked, rates where cheaper than Skype for calls to international landlines, international mobiles and Australian mobiles, and only marginally more expensive than for calls to Australian landlines. You can ...

see www.sabona.com.au/sep11_01 for the full article

2. Public transport

I have found public transport (trains and buses) very good and reliable here in Perth and use it every day. It may be worth ...

3. Cash savings

Banking here is dominated by the big 4 namely Westpac, Commonwealth Bank Australia (CBA), Australia New Zealand Bank (ANZ) and National Australia Bank (NAB). Consider the ...

4. Choice of Super fund

Super can be very confusing for those not financially minded. Basically there is a compulsory salary deduction of 9% from your salary every month by your employer, which goes into a super (pension) fund for retirement savings. If your employer ...

5. Private medical aid

Public healthcare here is essentially free for residents and to my knowledge (and limited experience) also very good. You may however ...

6. Tax matters

I am no expert at tax, but found that if your tax affairs are reasonably simple (as mine are), it is not too difficult to complete a return yourself. There is also a simple online option. The ATO website is very helpful and informative. See www.ato.gov.au. The tax year runs to 30 June. Most people here seem to use tax accountants to do their tax calculations and submissions, and that can reduce the burden for you at a cost. I didn't find any of them good with advice on managing the transition from paying SARS to paying the ATO though, or even generally i.t.o. advice on foreign income. It may be worthwhile getting some one-off tax advice on this depending on your circumstances.

7. Moneysmart website

The government just recently launched a website with advice on general financial matters such a super, banking, buying a house, investing etc which can be useful. It also contains some DIY calculators. See www.moneysmart.gov.au.

8. AFR website

The Australian Financial Review is the local equivalent of Business Day and has a great website for those keen to manage their own investment affairs. This includes information on most listed companies, including access to 10 years of historical financial statements for all listed companies, shareholder announcements, shareholder analysis etc. A reasonable amount of info is available without subscription. See www.afr.com.au.

9. ASX website

The Australian Stock Exchange website also has a lot of free information on all listed investment products. See www.asx.com.au.

10. Books

Books are very expensive in-store here. Try www.bookdepository.co.uk for an online option. They offer free international delivery. I have heard a few good references from locals who have used them before.

Don't underestimate the amount of admin involved with the move, it is huge. It is well worth the effort though, Perth is very family friendly and we are loving it here!

To comment see www.sabona.com.au/sep11_01

If you have any tips from "Once you have Arrived" in other cities, please send you articles to editor@sabona.com.au

Hey Mary, thank you so much for all this infothumbup.gif...I'd never heard of Sabona magazine, just managed a quick look see, will get onto subscribing as soon as I have a gap...it looks great with loads of info, very interesting reading!! Am ever so grateful rolleyes.gif...so many well wishes for a great weekend.

I'm trying to find the lists about what to do when you just get there...I saved it somewhere on my PC. The one was where a woman gave her husband a list of stuff to do before she could join him and I saved it because I remember thinking that was exactly my plan :blush:

I'm sure I'll find it before the weekend is over :whome:

Post as soon as I can find it!

A

Yippeee, brilliant thank you so much AAAZR, is sounding gooood.....looking forward to seeing it. Wishing you a grand weekend thumbup.gif

I'm trying to find the lists about what to do when you just get there...I saved it somewhere on my PC. The one was where a woman gave her husband a list of stuff to do before she could join him and I saved it because I remember thinking that was exactly my plan :blush:

I'm sure I'll find it before the weekend is over :whome:

Post as soon as I can find it!

A

SUPER CORRECTION

With regard to the post above from Sabona magazine, A CORRECTION ON SUPER, it is NOT deducted from your wages, it is in addition to your wages : let me explain.

A company offers you $80,000 per annum plus super, so therefore you will get $80,000 pa and they will pay another $7200 into your super for you, therefore a combined salary of $87200 pa annum.

OR

A company offers you $87200 per annum including super, so therefore you will get $80,000 pa and they will pay the balance of $7200 into your super.

The notice you have to take is in the wording, whether it is included or plus. Government departments, more often than not, include theirs (and it pays to ask what the percentage is, as sometimes theirs is higher than 9%). Private companies, though, pay the industry standard of 9% at present and they usually quote salary plus super.

There has been a lot of discussion around superfunds, I suggest you do a search on SAAustralia, you will find a lot of reading to do.

Mara thank you so much for this amendment, you always manage to explain things simply so plebs such as myself can understand. Very interesting reading, and hope to goodness I can remember all this information. I think I'm going to literally need to put my own booklet together with these simplified explanations and read through carefully as I need to deal with the relevant areas. Gosh it's certainly made me realize how one needs to take such careful note of detail and wording. Clearly never having to work like this before, I've realized just how many little things can have such an impact on how one does all the calculations, quite possibly affecting one negatively at the worst of times. Thank you again for all the time you take to help. hypocrite.gif, catch up soon again no doubtrolleyes.gif.........

SUPER CORRECTION

With regard to the post above from Sabona magazine, A CORRECTION ON SUPER, it is NOT deducted from your wages, it is in addition to your wages : let me explain.

A company offers you $80,000 per annum plus super, so therefore you will get $80,000 pa and they will pay another $7200 into your super for you, therefore a combined salary of $87200 pa annum.

OR

A company offers you $87200 per annum including super, so therefore you will get $80,000 pa and they will pay the balance of $7200 into your super.

The notice you have to take is in the wording, whether it is included or plus. Government departments, more often than not, include theirs (and it pays to ask what the percentage is, as sometimes theirs is higher than 9%). Private companies, though, pay the industry standard of 9% at present and they usually quote salary plus super.

There has been a lot of discussion around superfunds, I suggest you do a search on SAAustralia, you will find a lot of reading to do.

No problem Claudia, that is what we are all here for, to make the road slightly easier for the newcomers!

Hey all again, for those interested parties, Mara has very kindly just sent me yet another link which is brilliant and deals with quite a few of the areas I've queried. It's got a wealth of information and a link that will allow you to print out a booklet that provides information on what to do when first arriving, which departments need to be contacted, why these things are so important, emergency tel no.s etc....it's truly worth having a look at. Thank you Mara, you angel in disguise, yet again for all your help. Below is the link, hope some of you find it as handy as I have:

http://www.adelaideb.../onarrival.html

P.S.....AAAZAR, this I'm afraid doesn't let you off the hook just yet, would still love to see the list you're talking about, I have no doubt there are practical ideas and suggestions I could still look into and consider......... hehehehehhhee, happy huntingrolleyes.gif and thank you to you too for the time you take out to help people such as myself. Wishing you all a fab weekend.

You can register online for your tax file number before you arrive

Plus can open bank accounts before you arrive.

Other things we did asap were

A printer/scanner is useful as people want to see copies of your proof of address etc when signing up for anything

We bought a file with us - a hard copy and on computer also of refs from previous landlord - RSA bank accounts, a couple of municipal bills - things to show potential housing agencies here we were potentially good tennants

Good luck

Short&Tall, brilliant thank you so much, this is exactly the type of advice, and suggestions I was hoping for..... A printer / scanner......did you take yours from RSA or did you buy in Oz. I see many have said electrics are relatively cheap over there......do we sell the one we have or bring. I also noted someone advising one to remember to bring back up ink cartridges...... are they horribly expensive over there (they certainly are here) , easily available, compatible....I assume printers are universal as far as branding goes....would be interested to hear. Have wondered about upgrading here though, and ensuring fax facility available...thought that may come in handy too. Thanks so much again for everybody's help in relation to my 101 things to do when we first arrivethumbup.gif

You can register online for your tax file number before you arrive

Plus can open bank accounts before you arrive.

Other things we did asap were

A printer/scanner is useful as people want to see copies of your proof of address etc when signing up for anything

We bought a file with us - a hard copy and on computer also of refs from previous landlord - RSA bank accounts, a couple of municipal bills - things to show potential housing agencies here we were potentially good tennants

Good luck

Hey there, all those interested parties, well another weekend of trawling this site and AAAZAR I think you may just be off the hook!!! laugh.gif I've found the list created by a super organized lady cool.giffor the hubby, whilst she enjoyed the Kruger thumbup.gif....hehehehehe, I had a good chuckle about that one. Anyway, if you go to the link provided, not only will you find the list, but if you look through others comments there are even more considerations to take into account, and another booklet that's been uploaded for our perusal . Again a huge thank you to all those who kindly shared, apologies but once off the page, can't remember for the life of me, who said what. blush.gif Am loving this info, and feeling a little happier at knowing and organizing what needs doing when and why. Thank you all

http://www.saaustral...728#entry171728

Edited as initial link incorrectblush.gif Apologies

Short&Tall, brilliant thank you so much, this is exactly the type of advice, and suggestions I was hoping for..... A printer / scanner......did you take yours from RSA or did you buy in Oz. I see many have said electrics are relatively cheap over there......do we sell the one we have or bring. I also noted someone advising one to remember to bring back up ink cartridges...... are they horribly expensive over there (they certainly are here) , easily available, compatible....I assume printers are universal as far as branding goes....would be interested to hear. Have wondered about upgrading here though, and ensuring fax facility available...thought that may come in handy too. Thanks so much again for everybody's help in relation to my 101 things to do when we first arrivethumbup.gif

Hey there, all those interested parties, well another weekend of trawling this site and AAAZAR I think you may just be off the hook!!!

Hey,I'm watching you Claudia! :P Making me look bad :rolleyes:

Our PC crashed a while ago and I lost a lot of info so when I started searching for the "List" I got distracted by other files that was lost or corrupted :(

So thank you for getting me off the hook that I kinda forgot about :whome::blush::lol:

A

I might just loose my reputation over this but that link takes me to the home page of forum :blink:

Is this maybe what is should be?

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/19861-what-to-do-when-arriving-in-australia/page__p__171728#entry171728

DIAC site - Settling in Australia: Covers topics such as Things to do first,Beginning a Life in Australia,Everyday Life, Where can I find help.

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/

Reason for editS: Posted outdated links,replaced with new ones.

A

Bwahahahahahhaha, and here I am ever so impressed with myself, mmmhhh can never be too clever hey, lesson learnt blush.gif....you're absolutely right, thank you so much for rectifying for me, good grief I have no idea how the hell to post a link!!!! Pls adviseblush.gif Thanks so much einstein for all your help, am truly grateful and think so many others will be too when they've taken the time to have a look see. Fantastic stuff on here. Will go through the rest you've kindly added, have no doubt they're going to be brilliant and just up my alley. Many thank you's AAAZAR....think I'm the one's going to need to do the reputation building!!!whistling.gif

P.S......any links on lists of questions, things to note, things to do etc when first renting.....some horrible experiences seem to have been had by people on this forum, and the list queen would like to ensure all her ducks are in a row, in relation to this. Grand day, catch up soon soon no doubtrolleyes.gif

I might just loose my reputation over this but that link takes me to the home page of forum :blink:

Is this maybe what is should be?

http://www.saaustral...728#entry171728

And then some additional links mentioned in another thread:

7 important things that you should do as soon as possible after arriving in Australia.

http://www.immi.gov....ia/to-do-first/

Settling in Australia

http://www.immi.gov....e-in-australia/

Reason for edit: Found the thread and decided to put some more links on this page to have info together :ilikeit:

Hehehehehee, you are funny. That would never have happened with a mac.....Note to AAAZAR.......next major investment, a mac, you'll never look back!!!thumbup.gif

Hey,I'm watching you Claudia! :P Making me look bad :rolleyes:

Our PC crashed a while ago and I lost a lot of info so when I started searching for the "List" I got distracted by other files that was lost or corrupted :(

So thank you for getting me off the hook that I kinda forgot about :whome::blush::lol:

A

Bwahahahahahhaha, and here I am ever so impressed with myself, mmmhhh can never be too clever hey, lesson learnt blush.gif....you're absolutely right, thank you so much for rectifying for me, good grief I have no idea how the hell to post a link!!!! Pls adviseblush.gif Thanks so much einstein for all your help, am truly grateful and think so many others will be too when they've taken the time to have a look see. Fantastic stuff on here. Will go through the rest you've kindly added, have no doubt they're going to be brilliant and just up my alley. Many thank you's AAAZAR....think I'm the one's going to need to do the reputation building!!!whistling.gif

By hook or by crook we'll get you there :P

Please just note that my previous post included outdated links,I have now edited the post with the updated links :ilikeit:

It should be just one link to the DIAC website where you will find a wealth of information.

A

PPS....are you on the f/b page / forum?

Hehehehehee, you are funny. That would never have happened with a mac.....Note to AAAZAR.......next major investment, a mac, you'll never look back!!!thumbup.gif

We left our scanner in RSA and bought a printer/scanner/fax combo here

We knew we would need one asap - & before our other goods get here.

As an example we bought a HP Photosmart C410 on sale for $112 (current advertised price at one common supplier Harvey Norman = $299) - we could have picked up a cheap printer/copier/scanner for $24-$40 which would have done a fine job but we wanted the ability to fax and duplex - I understand we can even email photos to it!!!?

(Just checked the internet and see in RSA 2 prices one at R1600.00 and another about R1900.00 for this printer)

The printer cartridges were $18 each (black + 3 colours) but there was a 2 for the price of 1 sale on and if I had looked around I am sure we could have got them cheaper.

I am not sure if the cartridges are compatible - someone said something once about them being locked to location similar to DVDs!! (My goodness I ask you how ridiculous) but I am not sure if that is the case?

If you are buying here the thing you need to do (found out after we had already bought some things!)

1) go into shop decide what you like and what the best price is.

2) Go home and look on the internet and find what other people are selling it for in their shops or even online.

3) Go to the shop you want to buy it from and say this is the price xyz are selling it for - will you match it and 9/10 they will.

So even though Harvey Norman advertise the printer we bought at $299 at the moment I am pretty sure if I had gone to them with the details of the price at where we eventually bought it that they would have matched it.

Tip 2 there are always "sales" on where the price is discounted on something or some shops and try to buy at "sale" price.

Tip 3 - I have found that at most places if you ask for a discount it is quite probably you will get one. (Just not yet worked out how much of a discount I should be pushing for - that is a work in progress for me!!)

Hey Short&Tall, fantastic, thank you so much for the advice, gosh I just keep on learning, am ever so grateful, will keep all your suggestions in mind (and jotted down). Wishing you a fab evethumbup.gif

We left our scanner in RSA and bought a printer/scanner/fax combo here

We knew we would need one asap - & before our other goods get here.

As an example we bought a HP Photosmart C410 on sale for $112 (current advertised price at one common supplier Harvey Norman = $299) - we could have picked up a cheap printer/copier/scanner for $24-$40 which would have done a fine job but we wanted the ability to fax and duplex - I understand we can even email photos to it!!!?

(Just checked the internet and see in RSA 2 prices one at R1600.00 and another about R1900.00 for this printer)

The printer cartridges were $18 each (black + 3 colours) but there was a 2 for the price of 1 sale on and if I had looked around I am sure we could have got them cheaper.

I am not sure if the cartridges are compatible - someone said something once about them being locked to location similar to DVDs!! (My goodness I ask you how ridiculous) but I am not sure if that is the case?

If you are buying here the thing you need to do (found out after we had already bought some things!)

1) go into shop decide what you like and what the best price is.

2) Go home and look on the internet and find what other people are selling it for in their shops or even online.

3) Go to the shop you want to buy it from and say this is the price xyz are selling it for - will you match it and 9/10 they will.

So even though Harvey Norman advertise the printer we bought at $299 at the moment I am pretty sure if I had gone to them with the details of the price at where we eventually bought it that they would have matched it.

Tip 2 there are always "sales" on where the price is discounted on something or some shops and try to buy at "sale" price.

Tip 3 - I have found that at most places if you ask for a discount it is quite probably you will get one. (Just not yet worked out how much of a discount I should be pushing for - that is a work in progress for me!!)

Very interesting how Sabona magazine used huge chunks of my original list of things to do - word for word in most instances - without giving credit to where they copied it from... Not nice...

Very interesting how Sabona magazine used huge chunks of my original list of things to do - word for word in most instances - without giving credit to where they copied it from... Not nice...

Hi Riekie,

Not nice at all http://www.saaustralia.org/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbdown.gif http://www.saaustralia.org/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbdown.gif

Hey Riekie, have seen so many of your wonderful posts and had been hoping to meet you at some point ,I must admit though, hadn't imagined it would be quite like this. blush.gif Sincere apologies. I've got to agree with you and fully understand, courtesy does not cost and certainly credit where it's due!!! Do you think it's conceivably possible that after having sourced your information and doing the copy and paste thing, she could have lost the page/link/ name. I must admit, I've looked through so many pages and links at various stages, and have often forgotten who wrote what and where to find it again?blink.gif I am trying to be a little more organized in relation to how I work through the forums......Mmmhh one lives and learns, best I start paying a little more attention to detail. Sincere apologies again, perhaps she'll see this......and realize her mistake :oops:

Archived