Store Contents Until You Are 100% Commited?

JennyG

Question

Has anyone thought of rather putting all their stuff in storage to make 100% sure that you are committed to Aus, than to ship everything over just to realise that you made a BIG mistake?

Yes, I know keeping a back door open when immigrating is not a good thing, but isn't it better to do is this way rather than to splash out all that money on container costs, and secondly after a couple of months/years one can see what to bring and what to leave.

Maybe this is not the most practical option? Was just wondering if there is anyone out there that did it this way :whome:

A very important milestone in our 'accepting' our migration move to Aus, was when our furniture arrived. It just felt soo much more like 'home' having our own stuff around us. Before this - it felt kind of like we were on holiday ....

paT

Mmmmmmmmm, haven't thought about that!

We are at the final stages of making the big move and I think, like anyone else having doubts!

At this stage I feel it is something that I must do and not something that I want to do!

It is SO normal to get cold feet - don't allow that to put you off track. If you were once commited and now have doubts, go back to the reasons why you made that decision in the first place. Those reasons - if they still exist - were the driving force which will keep you positive throughout this journey and keep you going on the other side. Type them out and stick them somewhere you can see them - and every time you're having 2nd thoughts, go read them out. It works! :ilikeit:

On the 2nd point, I can just say that our reasons for coming out here were also "had to" and not "want to". Will I go back? Never! This place grows on you... This is home - an unwanted home initially, but now a much loved home!

A very important milestone in our 'accepting' our migration move to Aus, was when our furniture arrived. It just felt soo much more like 'home' having our own stuff around us. Before this - it felt kind of like we were on holiday ....

paT

Mmmmmmmmm, this is so true!

But ....

yes - I know a family who have been back (furniture and all) about 3 times - the last time their furniture had not arrived by the time they had decided finally (or so they say) to come back to Aus. When their container arrived, it was sent straight back. Sjoe !! they must have the most well travelled furniture I know of (probably gold class frequent traveler status)

so, I know where you comming from - but having our own stuff around us made a real difference to us 'setteling-in' and contributed significantly in our progress of 'accepting' this as 'home' >

hope our experience helps

paT

Hi Riekie, thanks for the reply! Yes, we've been to Aus and we loved the place! We are at the final stages of making the big move and I think, like anyone else having doubts! It feels like I was always 100% committed but the more my time is running out in RSA the more I start to feel uneasy with this whole thing. I don't know, maybe it is normal feeling this way? At this stage I feel it is something that I must do and not something that I want to do!

I regret not moving over as soon as we received our visas but due to personal reasons we didn't.

Jenny, you have to be sure before you get on that flight. You are obviously still having doubts. Have you been to Australia to see what it's like? If not, maybe it would be worth it to come over for a visit, just to get a feel (although a holiday is in no way any indication of real life in any country). It's like getting married and keeping the boyfriend on the side, just in case it does not work out. Chances are, you'll be divorced and back with the boyfriend before the honeymoon is over. Make that decision now and you'll save yourself a lot of heartache. It's tough, but anyone who has done it, can tell you, it's all about that decision - the rest will work out either way. It's OK to have doubts (most of us had them), but sort them out before you leave. Good luck girl! Hope you get clarity in your mind about it. Whatever you decide, hope things work out for you! Take care!

Archived