Store Contents Until You Are 100% Commited?

JennyG

Question

Has anyone thought of rather putting all their stuff in storage to make 100% sure that you are committed to Aus, than to ship everything over just to realise that you made a BIG mistake?

Yes, I know keeping a back door open when immigrating is not a good thing, but isn't it better to do is this way rather than to splash out all that money on container costs, and secondly after a couple of months/years one can see what to bring and what to leave.

Maybe this is not the most practical option? Was just wondering if there is anyone out there that did it this way :whome:

Thanks PtaDaisy and Emille! What both of you've said plus everyone else who replied make sense! I do agree that having one's stuff around you make you feel more at home! It is just the cost thing that worries me a bit as Emille pointed out! We definitely want to buy a house in Aus but this is not going to happen as soon as we arrive there. You first want to check out the area, location etc. We are obligated to stay 2 years in Canberra seeing that we have a state sponsored visa.

Really a tricky one this! So much to think about and congest!

I do appreciate everyone's take and experience!

I dont know why people think they will never see their family again. A flight back will cost about $1700, often cheaper on specials. It is not inconceivable to make 2 or 3 trips back a year for for a couple of weeks at a time. That means you could well see your family more often than what you see them now. Do this for a few years until you no longer need to. Sure it might cost a bit but then doesn't one spend one's money on whats important. So you go without a fancy car in Aus and without a huge flatscreen TV and you spend your money on flights. but so what. If that makes life good for you then do it.

Hi Jordy, I never thought of it this way. Thanks, when I think of not ever seeing my dad, mom, brothers and sisters, family in law again I start crying. I love them so much but we need to decide where it would be best to live. I will start saving money as soon as I arrive in Aus to visit my folks. This make me feel so much better.

Thanks Mara! Sounds better than in the USA! Think they get far less than us folks in RSA and Aus :)

Mmmmm, I like the optimism Shelly! For one or other reason I'm walking around with the idea that we are going to be worst of in Aus than in RSA - referring to materialistic things! But as someone mentioned, it is not the material things that matter hey.

I really try to stay positive guys, but as soon as I am on a high the devil climbs on my shoulders :ph34r: than I start feeling all depressing, negative and stressed out again!

I you starts the application process you think that it is the most difficult part of the whole process in getting a visa. BUT in fact, it is only the beginning of a loooooong stressful journey - something no one can prepare you for! And I think the most difficult part still lies ahead of us! :(

Hi Jenny, if that devil gets on your shoulder again, tell him where to get off.

I applied for partner migration as my hubby got his PR in 2009 already, we are awaiting a case officer to be appointed. They said it will happen this week.

Yes, it is sad to leave your family behind, but you must live your life. It also breaks my heart, then I look at my children and my hubby and know that this is the best decision for us.

Just ask the Lord if this is what He wants for your life, He will let you know and then you make your decision. Stay or go, but pray about it first and if you already did, then you will know what it is that He wants for you.

Remember He know the plans He have for us, plans to prospor us and a future.

Hang in there and make your descision with Him.

Hi AndreMaureen, thanks for the kind motivating words! And yes, I know where to get my answers from! Like everyone else, I am human and easily falls for the devils temptations! I must just stay on my knees and He will guide me through this whole process I know! :holy:

Good luck with your application! :)

Hi Jenny

I don't really have wise words to add here, except maybe to say that emigration is a big deal, it's life changing, so thinking and re-thinking it over is a part of the process...for me anyway. I have found that if I think with my heart I want to stay and if I think with my head I know I should go. We have also validated more than a year ago and we are still in RSA, having doubts every other day, not because we don't think Aus is a great country but because of the emotional impact the move will have on us.

Maybe in the end you have to make the decision on paper as they say, use it as a reminder and just make the move. But I agree getting the visa is the easy part, actually making the move is the hard part!! In regards with your furniture, definitely take it with if you are serious about making it work. Everybody I know says how great it is having their own stuff over there. Plus anything you can do to help settle in is worth the effort!

Good luck with your decision!

I personally do not think its a bad idea at all - albeit a complicated option.

We moved to London - lived in a rented place for about a year - we did not settle and thought that we would bring our furniture (which was in storage in Cape Town) over to London as it would 'make us feel more at home'. It did make us feel more at home. After another year and a half we decided to move back to Cape Town - furniture and all. Only then it costed us about 30% more (as in the first world it seems relocators pack much less compact and use much more space). We then lived in Cape town another 3 1/2 years - until we decided to move to Australia. Again it costed us megabucks to get it here (R130 000) - to Queensland. After 2 years in Queensland (857) we moved to Perth - and it costed us another $15 000.

All this cost of moving the furniture all around the world costed us A LOT of money (the cost of a small house in SA!) and in my view was the biggest mistake I made in all this moving - and in hindsight I wouldve just stored the furniture in South Africa - then moved to London and then moved to Australia and only after settling in Perth - bring over the furniture.

At the end of the day its 'nice' to have your furniture with you, but having it with you or not is not going to make you stay or go.

Even if you wanted to move to Aus and to stay here - you may want to move to another city in Aus due to work opportunities etc. and moving within Aus can be almost as expensive as moving to Aus from overseas. Also moving from rented place to perhaps a place you buy in the same city is a lot of hassle.

I therefore do not think its such a bad idea to store your stuff in SA until you have lived in Aus a year or so, and then bring it over once you are (i) certain you want to stay in Aus (ii) happy in the city you are (iii) perhaps have bought a property.

Another alternative which I have thought of through the years was dividing your possessions in 2: bring the most treasured/key/sentimental items with and then store the rest of the items and bring those over once you are more settled. This is a more expensive option as it will require moving 'twice' but it wont necessarily be double the cost but just proportionally more than bringing everything over in once go.

Sorry I am probably not making it any easier but this was my experience...

Thanks Mara! Sounds better than in the USA! Think they get far less than us folks in RSA and Aus :)

Mmmmm, I like the optimism Shelly! For one or other reason I'm walking around with the idea that we are going to be worst of in Aus than in RSA - referring to materialistic things! But as someone mentioned, it is not the material things that matter hey.

I really try to stay positive guys, but as soon as I am on a high the devil climbs on my shoulders :ph34r: than I start feeling all depressing, negative and stressed out again!

I you starts the application process you think that it is the most difficult part of the whole process in getting a visa. BUT in fact, it is only the beginning of a loooooong stressful journey - something no one can prepare you for! And I think the most difficult part still lies ahead of us! :(

Hey there JennyG,

I am so with you on this one!

We got our PR visas in July 2009, and validated them in Dec 2009 on a lovely holiday to

Sydney. We plan on leaving SA in Jan 2012 (not far away!), and now I am getting scared!

My life is pretty well perfect right now; we have a successful business, two gorgeous

kids and family relatively close by. My husband is still not keen to leave SA, I have

been the initiater all along. It really is a roller-coaster ride, some days you think to yourself-

no ways, we are crazy to leave! And then other days you almost get taken out by

idiots on the road and read about terrible goings on in our country. I do feel very unsafe here,

and that is the ultimate reason why my husband has said we should leave. Also, I fear for my kids.

So, it is a huge decision and there are plenty of us who have doubts - I guess it's normal because

we are giving up the known for the unknown.

Where are you guys headed?

Good luck in your plans and keep us posted.

Chocolate

Sorry, just saw now you're going to Canberra!

Am I stupid or what!!!! :unsure::unsure:

Nah, you'd be stupid if you did NOT consider all these things! :magic:

Jenny, just on your Mom and that you will not see her again. My Mom is 79 and I am flying her out every year for around 3 months at a time for the past 6 years. I am seeing her more now than I ever did back in SA. It will only become an issue when she turns I think 84/85 becasue at that point you will not be able to secure travel insurance for her anymore. I will however cross that bridge when we get there.

I for one can't really see myself without my furniture,having so many new things around you...I feel your own stuff will be a comfort of sorts. Just worried about the container arriving after we do and then having to buy some stuff there in the mean time. $$$$

So this is my question...I know of people that have their furniture in storage in S.A for about R700 per month until its almost time to go. Why not send over furniture well ahead like 3 or 4 months and then keep it in storage in Oz until you land...Has anybody else perhaps explored this option? I just can't see myself having to buy stuff there and paying for container etc etc.

JennyG,one of my best friends is flying out in 10days and she's probably one of the strongest most well organised people I know and she is overwhelmed and emotional at times with the days getting less and less. Family crying, farewell parties... there's nothing stupid about being scared. Hell we don't even have our visas yet and I'm preparing myself for something that I don't have a clue what its going to be like and we won't have money to do LSD..and have never been to Oz :whome:

As have been said many times...its not "Africa's not for sissies, it should be emigration is not for sissies".

Good luck!!! :hug:

A

Oh and just so you feel better...I'm getting nightmares about my little girl falling asleep in the plane and then having an "accident"...the wet seat,the embaressment..Who worries about stuff like that? :blink: Someone on the journey to their whole world being turned upside down and starting from scratch ;) (and a bit of a control freak..) :ilikeit:

We all have our moments and like someone on the forum said when they just landed and got off the plane "I looked around and got this feeling of what the f... did we just do" :whome:

Lots of luck and I hope to receive some motivation from you when its our turn and you've already settled in nicely with your own furniture. :)

A

AAAZR, many people send their furniture ahead. They find it easier to bum furniture and bits off family and friends in RSA, rather than have to scavenge on the Aus side. Its easily done if you have a container or boxes coming over to a reasonably accurate time schedule.

I'm just worried about a shared container...But I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

Thanks Rozellem!

Hi Jenny!

Firstly I would like to wish you the best of luck with your decision that needs to be made. Secondly, I really think that all the opportunities you have here is SA, like the big house, your own business, fancy car can also be easily accomplished in Oz. I think there might even be a chance that your opportunities in Oz can even be doubled than here in SA.

There will always be planes and opportunites to visit South Africa, you can even use skype there are lots of possible ways to be around your family even when your are on another continent by using technology. Im definitly planning on having a bbq when/if we land in Oz and turning on skype and having a bbq with my friends in SA :)

But in the end the desicion comes down to you and you alone.

I wish you the best of luck and may everything work out for you and your family.

By law all the workers in Australia get a minimum of four weeks leave per annum.

What you say is so true Lee! Maybe I should start being more selfish and think of MY future and MYSELF!

And Jordy, only thing that worries me is I don't know how much annual leave Aussies normally gets. So yes, the costs of visiting RSA is one thing, but will one be able to once employed into permanent position.

I dont know why people think they will never see their family again. A flight back will cost about $1700, often cheaper on specials. It is not inconceivable to make 2 or 3 trips back a year for for a couple of weeks at a time. That means you could well see your family more often than what you see them now. Do this for a few years until you no longer need to. Sure it might cost a bit but then doesn't one spend one's money on whats important. So you go without a fancy car in Aus and without a huge flatscreen TV and you spend your money on flights. but so what. If that makes life good for you then do it.

My family said that they only felt settled when they had their stuff with them, personal things.

What I did at the cold feet stage was make a list in a spreadsheet of the things I felt were important in my life.

I then gave them a ranking of importance from 5 (very important) to 1 (slightly important)

Then I gave each a rating as to what I felt it would be like in Australia vs what it was in RSA

So for instance Family safety ranked 5 in RSA 2 AUS 5 SO then RSA 2*5 and AUS 5*5 or RSA 10 vs AUS 25

This made that part of the descision clear

As to family behind this rated high as well 5 but in reality I realised I did not see them that often so the rating was not as high as I first expected.

With this clarity in mind a freind of mine got a permanent visa and came over to validate it. He said he went back becuase of his wifes father becuase he was not well. They built on a flat and he moved in and then passed away a few years later. His wife said she did not trust her brothers and sisters to take care of him, an yet left him with them when they came over for a holiday to see his family in Australia.

prior to his visa expirpig I told him there was no reason to stay anymore but his wife had started a business and was doing well. 2 weeks before the visa expired he asked me to find out how to extend it. He called his sister who is a lawyer here and got her involved. Even with several trips here he did not make the time required (2 out of 5 years) in Australia to get an extension. He was attempting to get another visa but I dont think he can.

The point is this, they made descisions based on what they felt was the correct thing to do even though her father said they should go. My father and mother said "We have had the best part our lives, you must have yours"

My wifes mother says I took her daughter away, but has not given a second thought about our children or employment oportunities or what her daughter wants, so was dsicounted from the descision process.

We are at peace with this.

By the way we sold up and came here without a LSD trip, just a commitment to make it work

I don’t care about my big house, I don’t care about my pool, or not going to have a maid or a gardener. I don’t care about giving up my big car, a lot of holidays, running my own business, spending money freely, NO, I don’t care about any of these stuff! The only thing that is holding me back is my family! My elderly, fragile mom who is turning 70 soon, who will never be able to visit me, and the mere thought of the chance that I might not see her again is driving me NUTTERS!!!!

I know I will adapt, we’ve been through this before – lived in England for 3 years. Difference is, we did not immigrate officially and always knew that we will return to RSA so it was easier. This move to Aus feels like a death sentence to me!

I thought it is going to be easier for me cause we’ve been living for the past 8 years 500km away from our family, BUT at least it is on the same continent!

I’ve red an article the other day. They’ve said that research shown that the most happy people in life is people who have their family nearby.

DAMMIT this is HARD man this is so HARD but I have to do it - for myself, for my husband and most importantly for my 2 beautiful children!

Maybe I should pick a fight with them and be so mad at them that I never want to speak to them again :lol: !

If I could only can pack them into my container – problem solved! :)

Hi Jenny

How is my favourite "drama queen".. :rolleyes:

Must have missed something along the way, your profile states that you "landed: Jan 2010" so surprised to read that you may still be in the RSA.

After all this time (seems like several years ago that you announced that you were relocating to Australia) I am rather surprised (not)by the fact that you are still posting "speculative" type topics.

My advise to anybody not totally committed to emigrating to Australia is that they should seriously consider not spending the time. effort and money because it will take time, lots of effort, lots of money and committment to make the move and to settle successfully.

Emigrating to Australia or returning to South Africa is a very personal decision, based pretty much on the personal circumstances and mindset of the individual.

I think that Rickie's analogy above illustrates the point rather well.

Enjoy!

Manny

Haha Manny, glad to see you are also still around! :whome: I haven't been on the forum for a while (some personal stuff that went on) thus not changing my 'landed' status. But thanks for drawing my attention to it!

I think Manny when I had the doubts we we're still in the 'wonder if should go' phase. Than we decided we are 100% committed, went over and validated our visas, came back, some stuff happened which prevent us from going and as time passes you settle into your comfort zone, but as with any other visa our time is running out and now we are at the final stages and again (which I think is normal) we have all this doubts surfacing. :holy:

I'll try to explain in my next post the one thing that is the root of all my doubts.

Boy I missed you Manny :rolleyes:

Has anyone thought of rather putting all their stuff in storage to make 100% sure that you are committed to Aus, than to ship everything over just to realise that you made a BIG mistake?

Yes, I know keeping a back door open when immigrating is not a good thing, but isn't it better to do is this way rather than to splash out all that money on container costs, and secondly after a couple of months/years one can see what to bring and what to leave.

Maybe this is not the most practical option? Was just wondering if there is anyone out there that did it this way :whome:

Hi Jenny

How is my favourite "drama queen".. :rolleyes:

Must have missed something along the way, your profile states that you "landed: Jan 2010" so surprised to read that you may still be in the RSA.

After all this time (seems like several years ago that you announced that you were relocating to Australia) I am rather surprised (not)by the fact that you are still posting "speculative" type topics.

My advise to anybody not totally committed to emigrating to Australia is that they should seriously consider not spending the time. effort and money because it will take time, lots of effort, lots of money and committment to make the move and to settle successfully.

Emigrating to Australia or returning to South Africa is a very personal decision, based pretty much on the personal circumstances and mindset of the individual.

I think that Rickie's analogy above illustrates the point rather well.

Enjoy!

Manny

Yes Riekie, I know everything you say is so true! We will definitely come! DEFINITELY! Is it going to be easy? No! I think I am trying to hold on to something! I want to tell my family the day I get on that plane that: 'Don't worry, it is only going to be for a couple of years!' And I know, this is the wrong attitude - keeping a back door open. And I am afraid that with me always thinking in my the back of my head that I do want to return to RSA, it will withheld me from settling down in Aus.

Am I stupid or what!!!! :unsure::unsure:

Archived