Eva in Towoomba

MannyT

Hi Eva

Hope that you and your family all ok and have not been too affected by the floods.

Thanks Manny, we are fine.

Minor flooding at our house, retaining wall broken.

Hubby sent home from work today because they are expecting the worst again today.

Landslides, flooded rivers, all roads in and out of Toowoomba cut off.

I feel shellshocked at the utter devastation all around and my heart aches for those who have lost loved ones.

It is bucketing down again right now, rain and thunderstorms all night long.

Scary stuff!

Please take CARE Eva....

Thinking of you since early this morning.

xxxxxxxx

Hi Eva, I hope you and your family stay safe, and all of the others in Toowoomba, and elsewhere where flooding is experienced.

Thinking of you Eva, hope you are still doing OK?

Oh my word! 8 dead - and people missing.....hope this rain stops soon - was described as a inland tsunami - hope and pray you all stay safe Eva and to all affected..... :)

We are fine, death toll now up to 13, 72 missing, some whole families.

The supermarkets are totally bare, people have been shopping like made and there is no bread, milk, bottled water, fruit, veges... all gone!

Apparently petrol running out too, people queueing up at petrol stations.

The roads in and out of Toowoomba cut off for no-one knows how long.

And with Brisbane in the firing line next for the flood supplies may be hampered from there for longer.

I have sat for hours watching the same footage replayed over and over on tv and still can't get over it.

I cannot begin to imagine how people sat on the roofs of their houses for the whole night in the rain, lightning and thunder, with water rushing past in the pitch dark, waiting to be rescued, what it must have been like for them.

Thank goodness the very heavy rains they predicted for today have not hit.

Oh, my goodness, things are terrible there. I've also read and saw some videos on "the Australian's website". A girl I went to school with is also in Towoomba... Jolindi Viljoen. They're pretty scared and obviously family and friends in South Africa are worried sick!

I really hope and pray that those 72 people will be found save. My thoughts are with you guys!

This is terrible!!!! My prayers and thoughts go out to you and everyone else.

Hi Eva

Saw the news of the floods on TV. Thinking of you and family. Stay safe!!!!

We are fine, death toll now up to 13, 72 missing, some whole families.

The supermarkets are totally bare, people have been shopping like made and there is no bread, milk, bottled water, fruit, veges... all gone!

Apparently petrol running out too, people queueing up at petrol stations.

The roads in and out of Toowoomba cut off for no-one knows how long.

And with Brisbane in the firing line next for the flood supplies may be hampered from there for longer.

I have sat for hours watching the same footage replayed over and over on tv and still can't get over it.

I cannot begin to imagine how people sat on the roofs of their houses for the whole night in the rain, lightning and thunder, with water rushing past in the pitch dark, waiting to be rescued, what it must have been like for them.

Thank goodness the very heavy rains they predicted for today have not hit.

Extremely sad - I cannot understand the loss of lives Eva. The folk that live in the affected areas knew that had to evacuate??? Just seen the devastation on our 7pm news - I cannot believe it, honestly thought the rains would have eased off - hope you and your family stay safe!!!

xx

Extremely sad - I cannot understand the loss of lives Eva. The folk that live in the affected areas knew that had to evacuate??? Just seen the devastation on our 7pm news - I cannot believe it, honestly thought the rains would have eased off - hope you and your family stay safe!!!

xx

A lot of the flooding in Toowoomba was flash flooding, so people simply did not have time. One youtube video I watched, you saw within 5 minutes the river swell and cars being swept from the parking lot. Absolutely incredible.

I aslo think people don't think these things will ever happen to them.

Praising God that 6 of those 72 missing, a family have been found safe.

Candice

I am thinking of you guys Eva, hang in there.

keep safe , thoughts and prays are with you and all in the flood areas....

Extremely sad - I cannot understand the loss of lives Eva. The folk that live in the affected areas knew that had to evacuate???

Sadly there was no warning.

Toowoomba is 700m above sea level on the top of the Great Dividing Range.

There is no river flowing through Toowoomba, so floods just don't happen here!

In actual fact, this should not be called a flood, especially as that is a cop out for insurance companies who don't cover flood but do cover storm damage.

Basically this was a massive thunderstorm that dumped an enormous amount of water over Toowoomba in an hour, over 60mm of rain apparently.

The ground was already saturated from endless rain for more than a month.

So all that water just ran off into the many creeks that crisscross Toowoomba, but way too much water for them to cope with so it overflowed into the streets and became like rivers of water.

I can't believe the footage of cars being swept along like Dinky cars.

A woman and her son were swept along in the torrents and drowned whilst driving down the streets. No warning for that.

Water swept through businesses and shops flooding furniture out into streets.

Never in the history of Toowoomba has anyone seen anything like this.

The poor people below Toowoomba then got caught in the torrential waters, so they had a bit of warning I guess, but not enough to evacuate.

Lower down towns were evacuated successfully.

And of course it is all headed for Brisbane, which is why they are prepared and already evacuated certain areas.

They reckon this is going to be worse than the worst floods Brisbane has seen in 1974.

I pray that there are not too many lives lost.

Absolutely terrible, was watching on Sky News this morning, glad you are ok, im desperate for the others missing and those that have passed. I pray no more fatalities!!

Stay safe!!!

Pray the rain lets up quickly!!!

:) Mother Nature and her fury - yes, this can indeed happen anywhere in the world! At least Australia can cope with a crisis - to thier ability! Other 3rd world Countries somehow -will be at a complete loss! The Aussie rescue team/workers are doing a brilliant job, working 24/7! Still yes, this is really scary!

xx

Eva . Take care and be Safe. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

Flockie

Eva, So glad to hear that you & your family are safe. Feel very sad for those that have lost their lives including people's pets & live stock. Best wishes to you & your community for the future.

Maritana

To the people in Qld!! STAY SAFE!!!!!!!

Praying for the rain to stop!!!!

Hi Eva

Don't come on here much lately, but just had to check that you were all safe. So sorry to hear about all the devastation there.

Stay safe!!

Vanessa

Hi Eva,

Glad you are all safe, and we too are keeping everyone in the area affected by these "floods" in our prayers.

T

... and now the stories begin to unfold ...

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2011/...e-brother-save/

"Ms Rice, and sons Jordan, 13, and Blake, 10, were driving at the intersection of James and Kitchener streets about 2pm on Monday when they drove through water which at the time was only up to their car wheels.

However, their car engine stopped and Ms Rice called triple zero for help. She was unable to call anyone else as she had no phone credit.

The triple zero operator told the family to stay put and they were forced to climb on to the roof of their car after the floodwater rose rapidly.

Mr Tyson said no help came and bystanders watching the family did not offer help.

“All these people were just standing around until an old scrawny guy grabbed a bit of rope, wrapped it around himself and jumped in,†Mr Tyson said.

“Jordan can't swim and is terrified of water.

“But when the man went to rescue him, he said ‘save my brother first'.â€

Mr Tyson said the man rescued Blake and tried to tie the rope around Jordan and Ms Rice but it broke.

They were swept downstream. The pair was able to briefly cling on to a tree, but was overcome by the force of raging floodwaters. "

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2011/...steve-matthews/

"SANDRA and Steve Matthews were supposed to be right behind their two youngest children as they scrambled to higher ground.

Floodwater surged above their waists in the kitchen of their Murphys Creek home as they tried to escape into the ceiling.

The pair was swept to their deaths in the violent gush through their home on Monday afternoon.

Their son Samuel, 20, grabbed his young sister, Victoria, 16, and the pair struggled out of the path of the dirty surge.

They thought their parents were only a second away but they were swept to their deaths.

"SANDRA and Steve Matthews were supposed to be right behind their two youngest children as they scrambled to higher ground.

Floodwater surged above their waists in the kitchen of their Murphys Creek home as they tried to escape into the ceiling.

The pair was swept to their deaths in the violent gush through their home on Monday afternoon.

Their son Samuel, 20, grabbed his young sister, Victoria, 16, and the pair struggled out of the path of the dirty surge.

They thought their parents were only a second away but they were swept to their deaths."

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2011/...lood-toowoomba/

"TEN people are confirmed dead and grave fears are held for another 18 people who are missing after flash flooding ripped through Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley.

Premier Anna Bligh said a total of 78 people were missing but grave concerns were held for 18 of the missing people.

A woman's body was pulled from Daveys Bridge at Gatton at 8.30am yesterday while the bodies of four people were located in Grantham.

An elderly woman, a woman aged in her 30s, a boy, and a girl were found dead in Grantham.

Murphys Creek couple Sandra and Steve Matthews lost their lives after they were washed away while Toowoomba woman Donna Rice and her son Jordan, 13, were killed in the CBD.

A four-year-old boy was the latest flood victim after he fell out of a boat during an attempt to rescue him and his family at Marburg yesterday afternoon.

Premier Bligh warned the death toll could more than double."

Archived