Canberra 2011 arrivals

IamInACT

Hi

just thought it might be nice to start a Canberra 2011 arrivals thread. Just post when you are arriving.

Later

T

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dawid, Cornel and Christiaan (4&half years) will be arriving on 19 January at about 18h00.

That will be our first time to Oz.

I Will be arriving 28 February 2011 at about 17:50 Canberra Time.

Family (Wife and 2 Boys) will be arriving 28 March 2011 at 18:00 Canberra Time

Oh yeah, i see a winter trip to Canberra happening :ilikeit: Wine lollies :lol:

We will be arriving in April

Jean & Elaine

Jeandrè (9) and Elmonè (5)

So many new arrivals! I'm sure that you will soon feel settled in. Canberra is a wonderful city and the lifestyle here is fantastic. Please feel free to be in touch if I can help to make your arrival any easier :ilikeit:

I wish I was in a position to give a date, but we will be arriving in 2011 !! just dont know exactly when. We are anticipating our visa during this month, and then to sell properties, and then the great trek.

We are still not sure when will be best since our daugther is in grade 1 this year, and I dont think its a good idea to uproot her in the middle of her first schoolyear. That points to us coming end 2011, which has its own problems such as shortage of housing during December months etc.....so still trying to figure out the best approach

Hi everyone,

We will be arriving in Canberra from Johannesburg (Midrand) at the beginning of March (should be receiving the Visa in the next week or two and will then book flights). Canberra chose us - we have an ACT sponsorship. After all the research we have done in the last year, we are VERY ready!

Canberra sounds absolutely wonderful.

Neither of us has secured employment yet, but we will start applying for positions soon.

Les and Jenni

Mikey (9) and Gaby (6)

Hi

just thought it might be nice to start a Canberra 2011 arrivals thread. Just post when you are arriving.

Later

T

We are expecting to get our visas middle February. Not sure when we will be arriving, but might be in July.

Also a bit worried about moving my eldest son in the middle of the year, he is in grade 6 this year

Other two boys are 5 and 2.

We are expecting to get our visas middle February. Not sure when we will be arriving, but might be in July.

Also a bit worried about moving my eldest son in the middle of the year, he is in grade 6 this year

Other two boys are 5 and 2.

Maybe some of the forum members with older kids could advise on the grade 6, I wonder how different the syllabus is here and what difference it would make at that level.

Arriving in Winter will also be fun, it can get very cold here and does not warm up very much 12 degrees max. Make sure you bring warm clothes!

It will not be a problem if you move your son in the middel of year 6. The sylabus is totaly different from that in SA. the kids also do not write exams about the whole school year's work. The school year is devided into 4 terms and they are evaluated every term only on that terms work. School holidays in ACT is from 8 to 25 July. It will be good if he could start school as close as possible to the start of the new term. Also people tend to move around a lot in Auz and he will definitely not be the only new kid in his class.

Advice for the winter... Thermal underwear, tjocolate and red wine! (all of which is in good supply here). Just take into consideration that the days in winter are very short, sunrise after 7 and sets around 5 pm. There are days that it is really to cold to be outside and that can make exploring and hous hunting difficult in winter. I carry cloves and a beany in my handbag (hubby have them in his car) and you even need them in the middle of the day. All buildings and even the busses are heated however making it nice and comfortable inside. The snow on the mountains are also stunning!

See you soon!

It will not be a problem if you move your son in the middel of year 6. The sylabus is totaly different from that in SA. the kids also do not write exams about the whole school year's work. The school year is devided into 4 terms and they are evaluated every term only on that terms work. School holidays in ACT is from 8 to 25 July. It will be good if he could start school as close as possible to the start of the new term. Also people tend to move around a lot in Auz and he will definitely not be the only new kid in his class.

Does the same argument go for a child in grade 1 in SA? Seeing that she is 7 this year, and in gr 1, but should have been in year 2 if she was in Oz. So she is far behind? She has only just started recognising letters, so cant really read yet, only three letter words here and there.

What Im trying to ask is if we move in the middle of grade 1, where will she go in Oz? year 1 or 2?

Does the same argument go for a child in grade 1 in SA? Seeing that she is 7 this year, and in gr 1, but should have been in year 2 if she was in Oz. So she is far behind? She has only just started recognising letters, so cant really read yet, only three letter words here and there.

What Im trying to ask is if we move in the middle of grade 1, where will she go in Oz? year 1 or 2?

Again it is so different here so I don't see the problem coming in the middle of the year ... Using the last 6 months of the year will give you a good indication if she should be in year 2 or should continue with year 2 again in 2012. Just a thought.

Again it is so different here so I don't see the problem coming in the middle of the year ... Using the last 6 months of the year will give you a good indication if she should be in year 2 or should continue with year 2 again in 2012. Just a thought.

Thanks for the help. It puts my mind at ease.

My other son is not even in school now, he is 5 and will be going to Grade 0 this year

I am sure the same will apply to him then.

I would also like if my husband can go a month or so before us - do you have a state sponsorship? I thought that all the family members must all enter Australia at the same time?

I would also like if my husband can go a month or so before us - do you have a state sponsorship? I thought that all the family members must all enter Australia at the same time?

No , the main visa holder has to enter first through customs, I arrived 6 weeks before my wife and kids.

Just to say to all the new arrivals to Canberra.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you need anything. From a ride from the airport or to the bank or even just a bag of groceries for the day u arrive!

We were met at the airport by 2 sets of forum members who we had never met ( We had 12 suitcases between 4 of us )

We had a bag of groceries waiting for us. Since we arrived at about 18:00 exhausted that was great.

Next day we were given a lift to the bank and Sandra even took the kids for a juice and donut while we sorted out SIM cards and Internet 3G for the laptop.

Sandras hubby also helped us find our first car.( It was a cheapy to get us mobile.Bought for $500 sold it as trade in for $1000)

In less than 48 hrs we had banking cars,sims,internet and a car.We would not have been able to do that alone.

PS we have a brand new Optus SIM card (Sealed) if anybody needs (Free) You would just need to buy airtime/recharge voucher after the initial money is finished.

Just to say to all the new arrivals to Canberra.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you need anything. From a ride from the airport or to the bank or even just a bag of groceries for the day u arrive!

We were met at the airport by 2 sets of forum members who we had never met ( We had 12 suitcases between 4 of us )

We had a bag of groceries waiting for us. Since we arrived at about 18:00 exhausted that was great.

Next day we were given a lift to the bank and Sandra even took the kids for a juice and donut while we sorted out SIM cards and Internet 3G for the laptop.

Sandras hubby also helped us find our first car.( It was a cheapy to get us mobile.Bought for $500 sold it as trade in for $1000)

In less than 48 hrs we had banking cars,sims,internet and a car.We would not have been able to do that alone.

PS we have a brand new Optus SIM card (Sealed) if anybody needs (Free) You would just need to buy airtime/recharge voucher after the initial money is finished.

Hi Guys

Thank You for the help offered. Still can't believe you can buy a car for $500 :ilikeit:

Hi Guys

Thank You for the help offered. Still can't believe you can buy a car for $500 :ilikeit:

MMMM not sure If I would go for a $500 car but .... hey you gotta start somewhere ..... the best thing about that is that if you go to Ford the minimum trade-in is $3000 ..... BONUS

I just want to say, the support we are getting from you guys in Canberra is AMAZING!

Thank You!

MMMM not sure If I would go for a $500 car but .... hey you gotta start somewhere ..... the best thing about that is that if you go to Ford the minimum trade-in is $3000 ..... BONUS

At the end of the day it worked out cheaper than hiring a car for 2 weeks! That was when we took receipt of my car.It took the pressure off the search for a good car. It was also sold to us by a mechanic who checked it all out. Of it didn't look gr8 but it served it's purpose

post-9805-1294697472.jpg

Advice for the winter... Thermal underwear, tjocolate and red wine! (all of which is in good supply here). Just take into consideration that the days in winter are very short, sunrise after 7 and sets around 5 pm. There are days that it is really to cold to be outside and that can make exploring and hous hunting difficult in winter. I carry cloves and a beany in my handbag (hubby have them in his car) and you even need them in the middle of the day. All buildings and even the busses are heated however making it nice and comfortable inside. The snow on the mountains are also stunning!

See you soon!

Hi Pine & Riana,

We came over in March/April 2010 for our LSD and went to look at Gold Creek School and Amaroo School. Our boys (aged 13 and 10) decided on Gold Creek. Whilst we were being taken around the school for a look, we went into a Grade 4 class (last year) and there was an Afrikaans speaking boy who told me he wa from Pretoria. I see you are from Pretoria - was it perhaps your son I spoke to? Just curious as it is nice to know there may be 1 or 2 Saffer kids in the same school as my boys will be.

My hubby will be coming in about 6 weeks and the boys and I will be there in April. That means my boys will start school at the beginning of the 2nd term in May.

Louise

Hi Iaminact and everyone else,

I might be taking a BIG chance here, but here's hoping we will be arriving in Canberra before the end of 2011.

Hubby, Myself and 3 kids, will keep you posted.

T

Hi Louise,

That is fantastic news. My kids are also going to Gold Creek Primary. Mikey is 9 ( in Grade 3 here, but will go to grade 4) and Gaby is 6, so in Grade 2. We did not do an LSD to Canberra, so did not visit the school. But, it looks like an excellent school.

We will hopefully settle in Nicholls in Gungahlin. Which area will you be staying in?

We will be arriving on 9 March.

Hi Louise

Our kids are in Kingsford Smith school year 7 and 8. So not our sun, but as you can see lots of us around and even more from Pretoria!

Archived