My first month

Johan du Toit

Johan, using the $120k you suggested

$25k = 21% of $120k, which means it is 50% more than in SA (21% vs 14%)

The thing is that you make wild statements (such as the Uni one) as if it is a fact, yet you dont even care about it as your child is only 3. People reading this then get the wrong impression.... and that is what we are trying to say. Nothing personal mate, just sound advice.

Yes... as previously stated. You are right about the Uni. Thanks for the enlightenment.

What you call a wild statement, I call a typo.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Johan, I'm going to bed now... we can continue the discussion tomorrow.

Gladly

Johan, using the $120k you suggested

$25k = 21% of $120k, which means it is 50% more than in SA (21% vs 14%)

The thing is that you make wild statements (such as the Uni one) as if it is a fact, yet you dont even care about it as your child is only 3. People reading this then get the wrong impression.... and that is what we are trying to say. Nothing personal mate, just sound advice.

How about this. My boy gets free medical care until he is 16. That makes up for the more expensive Uni. So I'll invest the money I would have paid for every time he went to the doctor and that can cover his Uni?

Love the entertainment an argument between two bright minds can cause. In the process we 'plebs' learn a bit to think more intelligently about the subject.

It's all about the money, it's all about the dum-dum-da-didi-dum !

When this discussion is resumed in the morning, please keep personal attacks out of the discussion. It really is not necessary to belittle a fellow member by using words like "rookie" or "new kid on the block." Consider this a warning, if anyone makes personal attacks they will get a warning from the hosts. For now this discussion moves into the cooler. When it cools down we will return it to the main section.

Thanks for the positive post Johan! Makes us look forward to getting there even more!

I understand eveyone's opinion, but would like to mention that living costs in SA has spiralled out of control!

I go to the shops and every other week the prices increase - it's slight (50c to R2) price increase on certain items, but it's been a regular sight for months now :)

Electricty and rates - up from this month with 17% - and will increase for the next 3 years. Hubby and I worked out that with what our current rates, water+lights account amounts to, is that in 3 years time we will not be able to afford living in our house at all!

I can tell you one thing, I will rather suffer financially in a new "free" country, and be able to enjoy things like walking to the park, than living here (struggling financially anyway) and be scared!

O wow!! I love this topic,really makes me think about stuff differently.

Thanks guys.

A

How about this. My boy gets free medical care until he is 16. That makes up for the more expensive Uni. So I'll invest the money I would have paid for every time he went to the doctor and that can cover his Uni?

Lucky for you by the time your son gets to uni he will be a citizen and qualify for HECS (assuming the government hasn't changed it by then).

I too am paying for a son at Uni and whether or not it is more than it would have been in RSA it is flippen expensive!!

Whether or not one finds Australia expensive is obviously in relation to your salary...

Personally, we do not have as much disposable income as we had in RSA.

I find food expensive by comparison to when we left almost 18 months ago, but I am sure prices have risen considerably.

But we still have a fantastic life, go on holiday, etc etc

Not one minute of regret from me, even though we have a lot less money!

I think it all comes down to standards of living and salary. In RSA i shopped at Woolies which is more expensive than say Pic N Pay. I worked in DBN North and lived on the Bluff so my petrol bill each month was huge! I was earning less than R10 000 and my petrol bill monthly was R1500 which is ridiculous.

Uni is expensive, I wanted to go and do my honours but until we are citizens I will have to just be happy studying a post grad diploma instead via correspondence as it will work out to $200 a month instead of the $1000 a month and that would be without my text books etc.

Johan the free TV here is great, we have a recorder as so many things are on at the same time, DSTV showed reruns all the time and I am afraid Foxtel do the same, the only reason we would have it is for the sport and I refuse to fork out every month just to watch a few rugby games ( go to a mates house and watch with them lol).

One of the main things I love about oz is that no one cares how much the other earns, what they wear or what car the other drives, there is none of the superficial nonesense that is there is in RSA.

I think many of us who have been in Oz for a few years would be shocked to see how cost of living has gone up in South Africa! I have a friend who went back for a funeral after 4 years and she is horrified by how expensive basic items like meat and cleaning products have gotten.

I also feel we (hubby,LO and myself) live better than we did in SA..we go away on holidays and have money for little luxuries we never had in SA. This is with me not working and hubby earning almost the same if you were to directly convert back to rands!

I do however believe it depends on your income...obviously the higher your income the "cheaper" every day things will be for you...we all have to eat..but we dont all have to buy the best car and live in the most expensive suburbs..suppose its all about priorities.

As far as living expenses go, you can not really compare apples with apples in this instance. Although it is very helpful to establish how your life will be in Australia, it is SO different to what you thought. I spent hours comparing prices for groceries, white goods, linen, clothing, tools etc (some of the golden oldies may remember those excel spreadsheets...) but at the end of the day, all of that became insignificant in the bigger scheme of things. One thing is for sure - you can not take something in ZAR, calculate the exchange rate in A$ and compare it because you will have a different income, different lifestyle and different expenses. We find living costs in general to be more expensive in Australia but then, we get so much more for free, so at the end of the day, we are better off.

Example, If we have to convert the price we paid for our house to ZAR, it will be almost ZAR 4 million - I would never have paid that much for the same house in RSA, but then again, I would not have been able to afford that in South Africa, and here I am living in it. I pay "more" based on ZAR vs A$ but here I can afford it - does that make sense?

I think many of us who have been in Oz for a few years would be shocked to see how cost of living has gone up in South Africa!

I looked at some prices on the internet - Pick n Pay, Woolies and Spur - and I nearly fell off my chair I could NOT believe how expensive everything was. When I start to compare the cost of things here I am still stuck on 07 prices (when I left at the end of 07 I thought the price of groceries in SA was ridiculous) but things appear to have skyrocketed in the last two or so years.

When I was in South Africa I compared the prices of Pick & Pay vs. Checkers vs. Woolies .....

now in Australia I compare the prices of Coles vs. Safeway vs. IGA ....

You are just going to tire yourself trying to compare, there are sooooo many variables. Get over here, shop arround and setup a budget that work for you... It does not matter if milk is more expensive in Coles than in Pick & Pay... If you are here you are going to shop here ... the quicker you let go of comparing the easier it will be to start enjoying that glass of cold milk in the morning :whome:

Its the CA vs the Engineer...imagine the collective benefit if they combined efforts rather than talked against each other...its time to "staan saam" guys. And yes, the Cost of Living is relative to the Earning ability (potential) which differs from individual to individual. Basic needs are common, but should not be used to compare between countries...that what economists devise Price Parity Indices for.

returned thread to original sub forum from the cooler

My experience after 3 years is that it is easier financially to live well in Australia.

Cars are cheaper because of the lower interest rates. Houses are more expensive but this is mitigated by the lower interest rates.

Our car insurance in SA was R1800 per month with a large Exess and a R15,000 Excess in the case of a hijacking. In Australia our insurance on a similarily priced car is $36 per month with no Xcess.

In South Africa one of our biggest costs was insurance (medical, life and short term insurance) here it is a fraction of what we paid there.

Security and armed response is another expense we do not have here and depending where you live in SA security can be very expensive.

Dental care in WA (don't know about the other states) is free for children at school 5-17 years (excluding braces and cosmetic dentistry). It is also free or subsidised for lower income and aged people.

Medical costs are largely subsidised and we have found a practice that Bulk Bills for children so we pay nothing for the kids when we go to the doctor. Bulk bill is when the doctor charges only what the government subsidises and does not add anything extra on. The same for adults, our medical costs are subsidised so our portion of the doctors fee is about $17 per consultation, at our practice. In our case our doctor has become quite friendly with us and he bulk bills my wife and I so we pay nothing for a consult.

The town we live in does not have a private hospital so we must use the state hospital. We have had to take our children twice to the hospital and it has cost us ZERO. The service and quality at the hospital was excellent.

No car guards, none or very little petty crime, all the workmanship seems to be good quality so we do not spend lots of money fixing stuff up and re-doing things. In SA for example we had our gate fixed 5 or 6 times and had to pay for it every time. Here you get the guy out once and it will work and if not he will come back and do properly without additional charges. There are good enforceable laws protecting the consumer.

Holidays seem cheaper with a night in a hotel with 2 bedrooms going for between $120 and $200 per night for the room. In SA we always paid per person and a reasonable hotel would not cost less than R500 per person and more often than not a lot more.

There are many things that do cost more here, restaurants, fresh produce and meat, private medical costs and more but overall, for us life is more affordable.

I just want to say one thing that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else on this thread (maybe I missed it) and that is that the reason why one can afford to make a living on one's income here in Aus is because of the labour laws and Aus history. Australians have fought long and hard in this country to make sure that everyone earns a good living and that no-body is being taken for a ride by some big, exploiting, bullying company (see the movie The Castle, ;) !)

The same is kinda happening in South Africa at the moment with the unions demanding higher salaries. Only thing it is not sustainable for the South African economy. For a country with so many people in need of jobs they are certainly not doing it at a sustainable level. Which is why I've said before in other threads that I'm not a huge fan of uncontrolled emigration into Australia because when there are too many people looking for work in hard times, living conditions and quality of life dwindle. We can see that in SA now. Unions demanding and getting higher salaries, and prices of groceries and everything else goes up. Companies can't afford all of these expenses, goes bankrupt and people loose jobs = loss of quality of living.

Australians have created a wonderful Australia for Australians. Emigrants have also added wonderful qualities and growth for the economy but one always have to keep it sustainable. It's a hard balance to keep. That's why Australia is one of the few, and sadly last countries in the world with a good quality of living.

Just wanted to say good luck and God bless to Johan. May the lucky country be good to you and your family.

Dental care in WA (don't know about the other states) is free for children at school 5-17 years (excluding braces and cosmetic dentistry). It is also free or subsidised for lower income and aged people.

Medical costs are largely subsidised and we have found a practice that Bulk Bills for children so we pay nothing for the kids when we go to the doctor. Bulk bill is when the doctor charges only what the government subsidises and does not add anything extra on. The same for adults, our medical costs are subsidised so our portion of the doctors fee is about $17 per consultation, at our practice. In our case our doctor has become quite friendly with us and he bulk bills my wife and I so we pay nothing for a consult.

The town we live in does not have a private hospital so we must use the state hospital. We have had to take our children twice to the hospital and it has cost us ZERO. The service and quality at the hospital was excellent.

See, now this is where I'm confused, because we pay a lot of money for anything medical...yes, yes, I know, we are in the middle of nowhere and services are either non-existant or over priced, but having left SA 7 years ago already, I still miss my medical card!!!! Maybe we were just spoiled having worked for great companies with great medical benefits, but $50 minimum a go for any one of us for a GP visit, just leaves a very bad taste.

In NZ medical (Anywhere, any type) was free for children under 6 and dental up to I think 18. If you visit a clinic it was free (same for hospital) and if you returned to your GP with the same problem, you paid less or none at all. Definately not so in Griffith, NSW

And I'll check who makes another snide remark about me being in the middle of nowhere.... ;)

Hello Marlene

Do you have a Medicare card?

Is there a dental service in the school system?

How different can it be NSW?

Michael

I think many of us who have been in Oz for a few years would be shocked to see how cost of living has gone up in South Africa! I have a friend who went back for a funeral after 4 years and she is horrified by how expensive basic items like meat and cleaning products have gotten.

I also feel we (hubby,LO and myself) live better than we did in SA..we go away on holidays and have money for little luxuries we never had in SA. This is with me not working and hubby earning almost the same if you were to directly convert back to rands!

I do however believe it depends on your income...obviously the higher your income the "cheaper" every day things will be for you...we all have to eat..but we dont all have to buy the best car and live in the most expensive suburbs..suppose its all about priorities.

So agree with you elleneo! I too have heard that things are 'going through the roof' (prices) back in SA.....here, we can afford a roast as often as we feel like cooking it - another story back in SA.....once again - so right...it is all about priorities!! Still at the end of the day, cannot get what we did for $200 a week when arriving here 18 months ago..

Erica

Love the part saying 'stop comparing, just budget and enjoy that glass of milk'! *writes it into my notebook*

Hello Marlene

Do you have a Medicare card?

Is there a dental service in the school system?

How different can it be NSW?

Michael

Hi Michael, yes we do have medicare card and no there is no dental service at the school. It just irks me that I have to pay the money first and then apply to get some of it back again.

Hi Michael, yes we do have medicare card and no there is no dental service at the school. It just irks me that I have to pay the money first and then apply to get some of it back again.

Marlene, I never knew there was such a thing as a school dentist. Last year I paid over a thousand bucks for my son to have fillings. Then this year he came home with a form to be filled in for permission to be seen by the school dentist! How I wish I had known about it before I forked out all that money. So my two school aged kids saw the school dentist in the holidays, and both have to go back for a filling. Not sure how long we will have to wait for the next appointment, but what a pleasure. from a financial point of view.

I would think there must be a school dentist in your area, perhaps just has not been to the school yet. Apparently they do not do every school every year. Have you asked the school? And I was told only State Schools get them coming too.

Hello Marlene

A quick search on google and I found out that NSW does offer school dental services. At some stage your child will have been seen by a dentist unless you did not give permission to do so. If a parent has not completed a form giving permission they will not look at the child.

Once permission has been given a dentist must do a check for the child to be registered. Some schools have a clinic on site and those that do not, will get a visit from the dentist. The dentist merely charts the childs bite and checks for major problems but once that is done the child is on the system and can be treated. If your child has a small problem such as a minor filling the dental therapist at the school service will attend to it. Bigger problems such as broken teeth will be treated by the dentist.

Ask your school teacher about the dental service. If your school does not have a clinic there will be one in the area that does and you can go there in an emergency. The hospital in your area also probably has a dental clinic and your child can be seen there in an emergency (if they are in the system).

The initial registration might be a bit beaurocratically onerous if you missed out registering at the school but it will be worth it. Free dental care for your child and it is absolutely free, no contributions at all (in WA at least).

The clinic might tell you that if your child has been to a private dentist they cannot help and this is true but only for work in progress such as a temporary filling or other treatment that is ongoing.

2. Eligibility of Children and Young Persons for Non-admitted Oral Health Care

Services

For a child or young person to be eligible for free public oral health services they must:

􀂃 Be normally resident within the boundary of the providing Area Health

Service, and;

􀂃 Be eligible for Medicare, and;

􀂃 Be less than 18 years of age.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/cohs/health_services.asp

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/cohs/contacts.asp (contacts)

I hope I am right and there is a school dental service in Griffith.

As for your doctor ask around for one that "bulk bills" for children. You might not find one but it is worth a try.

As I said before we don't have a private hospital in our town so we have to use the public hospital and have discovered that this is free. So if you are happy to go to a public (state) hospital it should be free (not sure about NSW).

Apologies for writing such a long post.

All the best

Michael

Archived