Allowing minors on the forum

Janine

Question

I'm just curious - the website's terms and conditions states:

"SAAUSTRALIA.org ("SAAUSTRALIA") provides access to interactive discussion forums, created and maintained by its hosts, to members who are at least eighteen (18) years old and to minors over the age of thirteen (13) who have parental permission. "

I see that Marilee is only 12. How did she manage to register then?

Don't mean to stir, but if you bend the rules for some, others might start expecting it too and before you know: total chaos like we had on that other website :) .

You know what, let me get my 2 cents worth in here as well. I am 35 years old and as a parent I am very interested in what Marilee has to say. Even tough my daughter is only 3 years old Marilee can give me an perspective on what life in Australia is like as a teenager, and lets be honest here, if you read Marilee’s first posting any one can see that this girl just want to give her honest opinion!!! Don’t shoot her down, she is a 12-year-old girl that wants to voce her opinion and personally I think that for a girl her age she must have guts to do this, and you carry on doing it my girl, I have a huge amount of respect for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think for you to come on here and take a step in to the so-called grown up world is a brave thing to do, maybe some of the so-called adults in her must grow up a bit. :unsure: saints!

Now as a member of this form and a parent you have my support Marilee!!!!!!! :ilikeit:

Couldn't help shaking my head in disbelief at Janine's and Zak's 'concern'. Made me think of all those people who will always choose to see the negative in anything positive....like those who accuse good old Liewe Heksie of sinister motives :blush: and who won't let their children read/watch Harry Potter as he's supposed to be 'evil' :ilikeit::blink::holy::holy: . Come on.

Don't let narrow-mindedness spoil your reality. As long as there is PG for minors (at any age) and efficient, open communication between parents and children, I don't see a problem.

Thanks to ALL of our hosts and moderator(s) for the EXCELLENT forum - most of us here sincerely appreciate your time and consistent effort! Please don't be sidetracked by others' negativity and prejudice.

:unsure:

As long as there is PG for minors (at any age) and efficient, open communication between parents and children, I don't see a problem.

Has anyone actually stopped for a moment and realised that we are all saying the same thing? :)

Liewe Marilee,

laat jy skryf kind, moenie mismoedig raak oor die hele debat nie. As jy iets te se het, se dit. Ons as grootmense moet afbuk en julle jonges in die oe kyk as ons met julle gesels. En dan kan ons gerus ook maar luister na julle. Die waarheid hoor mens mos maar gewoonlik uit die mond van 'n suigeling. Ek is seker my seun van 19 sal ook met jou gesels, hy het ook maar swaar gekry met die getrekkery van ons van een land na 'n ander.

Gewoonlik is geselskap met 'n jongmens verfrissend en gestroop van enige aanstellerigheid. Ek het nie jou post gelees nie maar ek is seker dit was alles net goed bedoel van jou kant af.

Jy kan gerus maar vir my (ons) vertel van al jou ondervinding in OZ. Miskien word jy nog eendag 'n beroemde skrywer, wie weet. :blink:

Lekker bly en hou jou kop hoog.

Betsy.

I do not have an opinion about this whole story. I love this forum and all the positive advise and support. That is why it is so sad that we have to feel the need to attack each other. I really do believe this takes away from the idea why this forum was started and why I joined.

I think we should focus on helping others and it does not matter what age they are, I am sure their parents would do everything possible to protect their children. If you want to find something wrong you will find it in everything in life, I honestly thought this site was about supporting others in a similar situation.

Liza

This was an old posting, dating back to March 2006, which had long since been laid to rest, just to be dug out again.

I suggest we allow it to R.I.P.