My take on Adelaide

Riekie

During our recent visit to Adelaide, I made a point of making mental notes for the purpose of writing a bit about this city of churches which seems to be the talk of the town. I've been to ADL 4 times now and could not form a reasonably unbiased opinion until now, as my time was spent solely with family (and my experience of ADL mostly limited to life in one suburb). This time around, I visited a number of places and took hundreds of photographs with the purpose of taking you on a pictorial trip with me! But first, let's get down to business:

Firstly, I must admit that my initial opinion of ADL was a bit "negative" and that I was a lot more impressed this time around. It is much bigger than I thought at first – in fact, it has passed it's "country town" size and should be rated a proper city. The way of life in ADL is much more relaxed than in Sydney and the "vibe" you find in a big city, is difficult to find there. This is by no means a comparison between Sydney & ADL, but just to bring things into perspective, I need to refer to a city such as Sydney (maybe it would be better to use New York). Although ADL is VERY big, you don't get the feeling/vibe of living in a city. It is a lot quieter and people seem to be generally more easy going & laid back.

ADL is a beautiful city with lots of cathedrals & old buildings and has the most beautiful Uni I've ever seen!! During our visit we spent some time in Glenelg, Brighton & Hahndorf (our favorite spots) – and a few other places as well - and we took a long drive through a number of the suburbs. ADL is a great place to raise a family and if you like quality living with a decent price tag and all the luxuries, then ADL is a city to consider. It is a "green" city with parks, huge trees and well kept gardens. The newer suburbs have a real "wisteria lane" feel to it but even the older suburbs we visited did not at all look "trashy" or neglected. The streets – even in the heart of the city – were almost spotless! I also failed to find the graffiti which is such a huge problem in the bigger cities. Every city has it's "back streets" – I did not see those in ADL (maybe I did not know where to go….) Anyhow, in general, I'd rate ADL a pretty place to live in.

ADL is situated next to the ocean and stretched over quite a distance along the beach, making it possible for most ppl to live within a short walk/drive from the nearest beach – unlike Sydney, where, if you live in the suburbs, you're a 30 to 40 minute drive away, because the city is stretched more inland. So, this is another benefit of living in ADL – you're close to the beach!

There's a lot to see & do in ADL, but once you've done all that, you may get bored. (Sorry to say it, but we did……) Then again, you won't be on a holiday all the time when you live in ADL and will have plenty to occupy yourself with. Just outside ADL is a whole world to explore which we didn't – with the exception of Hahndorf, a quaint German town with lots of shops & restaurants and just a great place to spend a day! Glenelg Jetty Street & Beach is another place to visit and revisit and it even has a South African Restaurant (Elsie's Out of Africa – with an Afrikaans Menu!!) It's the best place to go for a walk and to enjoy a late breakfast. Lots of cyclers in ADL too and they seem to all end up in Glenelg for a meal or refreshments after their morning ride!

Brighton Beach, just South of Glenelg is also a nice place to spend a hot day although it does not have the shops & restaurants (or the buzz) of Glenelg. Further South is a "secluded" beach where you will find the most beautiful collection of stones & pebbles of all different colors – we spent a whole afternoon there, just picking up pebbles and fuss about their beauty! There's a walkway higher up where a short walk (not even 100 meters) will take you to a lookout with a beautiful view of ADL.

As far as shopping goes, I found ADL to have lot of speciality shops (without the price tag!) They do have the big shopping centers and all the big retail stores too, but I enjoyed the smaller shops as they had unique things I'm yet to find in Sydney. I guess the big cities are focusing on the masses (with quality & choice being the lowest priority) whereas the smaller places still caters for individual taste and take time to stock their shelves with a variety of goods for a bigger choice. There you'll easily find a unique gift without the fear that someone else bought the same thing!! (The "Target syndrome"…..)

I'll conclude with this: if you want to live a quality, affordable, relaxed life then ADL is the place to be (or one of the places) but if you're fussed about living in the fast lane, then you should re-consider in my opinion. This is all I can think of now – I'll add to this as things come to mind and anyone who visited ADL or live there can freely add to my view. I guess living somewhere vs spending a holiday there is where the difference comes in and I know a lot of ppl living in ADL and just LOVE it!! Personally, it's just a bit too quiet for this city girl…..

I took a whole bunch of photos of the types of houses, the suburbs, beaches, streets & shops in ADL, but I can not post them all here – if you want to see more pics, Email me @ riekie at saaustralia dot org & I'll Email them to you. Here's a few for now.....

post-4-1178152324.jpg post-4-1178152452.jpg

post-4-1178152508.jpg

post-4-1178152426.jpg

PS: I'll still write about Adelaide & the wonderful ppl I met in the Places of Interest/Travel Forum, but this time from the point of view of a traveller and as part of my Road Trip Journal :huh: Hope you enjoyed this glimpse of one of Australia's Cities!!

Sorry guys, I had to remove a few pics - I ran out of attachment space...

Thanks so much Riekie.

Sal jou email vir die ander piccies! :huh:

Bianca

Some more pics.... :huh:

post-4-1178152746.jpg post-4-1178152703.jpg

post-4-1178152717.jpg post-4-1178152687.jpg

post-4-1178152731.jpg

(Some pics removed for space)

And more...... :huh:

post-4-1178152908.jpg

(Some pics removed for space)

Thanks Riekie

Those are really good photo's. BTW - the pebbly place with all the nice stones is Hallet Cove. :huh:

Personally, I don't like Glenelg very much. Henley Beach is my kind of place - nice quaint little shops and cafes with a square which faces onto a lovely promenade. Nice and quiet for a leisurely seafood lunch :( However, we went to Glenelg on New Year's Eve and it was just fantastic - the best vibe I've ever experienced. There was about 50 000 people in Jetty Rd, around the square and on the beaches, with fireworks from the Jetty - just magical. It was a "dry" zone as well, so that meant that everyone could have a great time in safety. :o

Annette, I can just imagine what it would have been like celebrating New year like that! We had a very "boring' New Year - spent it in a little town about 80kms from Phillip Island and apart from a few crackers that went off @ midnight - which gave the resident bird colony such a scare that they made the most awful noise (poor things!) - nothing else happened. When we arrived @ just before midnight, the whole town was in complete darkness - no party going on THERE he-he!! :o:(

I realise there are parts of Adelaide we're yet to discover and we will definitely explore Henley Beach on our next visit! The beach itself at Glenelg is also not my kind of spot, but I enjoy the buzz of Jetty Rd and all the people there. I must say, on previous visits to ADL the beaches (both Glenelg & Brighton) was "dirty" but this time the improvement was noticeable - especially at Brighton Beach - very well groomed and spotless!! :huh:

Hi Annette and Riekie, thanks for all the info and pics. Cant wait to join you there. These studies are going to feel like aaaages! Hubby's occupation is on MODL list at the moment, and we are fairly sure we would have got a 457 visa quickly, BUT I first have to finish studies here in UK. Quite cheap, and I waited for studies until we had perm res here, so first have to finish this part of plan.

Ons is bang dat die MODL gaan verander, so het maar gedink ons moet ons PR 136 nou al so gou moontlik probeer deursit, hy het 130/135 punte afhangende v Engels.

Sal ons steeds Ielts moet skryf selfs al was ons 7 jaar in UK en gestudeer in Engels en PRes hier?

Verder moet ons eers ons almal se paspoorte hernu en vir 2 kleintjies volle geb sert kry. Ons het vir albei UK volle geb sert - maar ons is steeds SA burgers, dink julle ons sal SA volle geb sert moet he? Dalk moet ek maar in elk geval dit kry. Sal graag wil hoor wat julle dink.

Dan moet ons man se TRA ook deursit, gaan sommer die ref's en job specs self doen en dat die companies dit oortik, sal maar sê dat hy net erkenning in UK vir sy skills wil kry of so iets.... Kontak hulle jou huidige employer met die skills assessment? sal bietjie search oor dit.

Ek beter nou leer, eksamen is oor week, en man gaan kom inloer :o (hy baby-sit :( ). Lekkerder om Oz te dink en beplan! :):):D

Praat later weer and thanks forany advice... :huh:

Bianca

Hi Riekie,

Verskriklik dankie vir al die gedetaileerde beskrywing en foto's van Adelaide :huh: . Alles wat jy se, klink baie goed (presies wat ek wil hoor :) !) en dit is nou oor na ons om April te gaan kyk en 'n finale besluit te neem! :(

Where are the people though ? Place looks pretty deserted.

Tjaart

Ek stem saam met Tjaart... Waar is al die mense :o of het hulle spesiaal weg beweeg sodat jy 'n fototjie kon neem?

Dankie baie!

Lovies, Pippa! X

Hi Riekie

Fantastic! Thank You for the effort! We will not be doing an LSD, so this kind of detail (and of course all input from those already in/ on the way to Adelaide (Annette, Bob, Bronwyn, Ivan, Marius, Pippa, Ria) just makes it all the more worthwhile.

Kind Regards

Carlos & Liza

Nice pictures.

Tjaart

Ek weet! Hulle is in hul huise (en karre)! :ilikeit:

Die erwe lyk vir my maar klein. Is erwe in Oz kleiner as in SA?

Nice pictures.

Tjaart

Fotograwe moet VROEG opstaan vir die beste foto's! :whome: Die meeste foto's is op Kersdag geneem - winkels is toe, mense slaap laat/gaan kerk toe/is by familie...... Die bietjie wat daar was, het ek maar voor gewag om verby te stap of die foto van so 'n "angle" geneem dat die mense uit die foto sal wees. Dit is nogal "nice" om sulke mooi geboue af te neem sonder 80 mense met kameras om hulle nekke wat die foto volstaan né! :lol::lol: Ek het ook nogal gedink dit is "weird" dat alles so "deserted" is maar in ag geneem die omstandighede is dit seker normaal - moenie "worry" nie, daar IS mense in Adelaide!! :ilikeit::lol::holy: (Vrek NICE mense boonop!! :D )

Die erwe in Aus is oordie algemeen baie kleiner as in RSA, maar hoe verder mens uit die stede beweeg, hoe groter word dit. Daar is boere wat 100km moet aflê voor hy by se plaas se HEK uitkom!! "Imagne" die arme man lê die aand in die bed en vroulief vra vir hom: " skattie, het jy die HEK toegemaak?"..... He-He!! Hy sal 'n hele piekniekmandjie moet pak om DIT te gaan doen! :lol::lol::lol: In die stede en suburbs is die erwe maar opmekaar en daar is meer dikwels as nie, omtrent net 'n meter tussen jou kamervenster en jou buurman s'n! :lol: Dit was vir ons nogal 'n aanpassing, maar na so 2 jaar se self tuinmaak, bossies uittrek & grassny, waardeer ons ons klein stukkie aarde!! :( Hier is soveel parke en strande - die beste "backyard" ooit!! (En mense kan hier "actually" soontoe gaan en piekniek hou terwyl die kinders rondhardloop en met hulle fietse rondry. Dit is niks snaaks om op 'n naweek in 'n park te stap en oral gesinne te sien middagete eet nie - lyk soos 'n voortrekker saamtrek partykeer! :D )

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Riekie - Thanks so much for the photos - they are fantastic. You have a real eye for detail! I'd like to share them with my family & friends because they're better than any I have managed so far. :blush:

In fact, I have always been amazed at how badly most of the photos I have seen online and in other places, actually portray Adelaide. The photo on the front of the current Fuller map book looks like it was taken in Kansas in 1966. :ilikeit: They should fire their photographer and buy your pics instead.

I was also struck by how deserted it all looks, but I understand from your explanation why. The place is so busy sometimes I can't believe it. Today at the Mall here down South it was like Eastgate revisited, yuk! :blink::whome::lol:

Bronwyn

Thanks Riekie & Annette for the

amazing photos and Riekie for your super

post about ADL ..

Very encouraging.. :ilikeit:

I too so appreciate , and give huge thanks to

everyone who add such detailed interesting info

from time to time..

You have all been a great "help" & i hope when

i get there :whome: i shall meet

up with you all! :blush:

hugs Andrea

In fact, I have always been amazed at how badly most of the photos I have seen online and in other places, actually portray Adelaide. The photo on the front of the current Fuller map book looks like it was taken in Kansas in 1966. :ilikeit: They should fire their photographer and buy your pics instead.

Bronwyn

I couldn't agree more! Even the calendars and postcards of Adelaide are really pretty rubbish. Most look like they were taken 30 years ago :whome: I agree the photographer has to be sacked - in fact, I am of the opinion that the entire Adelaide Tourism board (if there even is such a thing) should be shown the door ASAP, because I honestly don't know what they do all day :blink:

You should see some of the pics that my mum as been taking - a billion times better than anything they can produce. I'll try and post some tomorrow...

PS: not that yours aren't good enough, Riekie, they're brilliant :blush:

Hey , Riekie ,

thanx for the piccies - they boggle the mind of us ,

Nothern-Hemisphere dwellers !

- say : is it ever sunny and blue skies there ?

( from your photos , it seems at least as dark and overcast as the U.K. or Benelux );

- and how come : not a human body in sight ?

Keep up the good work , hoor ,

R.

Lekker foto's, Riekie! Ek het iets op een van hulle bemerk en wil graag uitvra:

Op die 10de foto - van jou 2de sarsie - is daar 'n snelweg. Julle ry aan die linkerkant van die pad (soos Suid-Afrika), maar die afrit is aan die regterkant. Aan watter kant is julle snelbaan dan?

Kyk, in SA is op- en afritte aan die linkerkant, want die stadige baan is links. Hoe werk dit daar by julle?

PS. Van daardie foto's herinner nogal sterk aan Amerika. :)

Op die 10de foto - van jou 2de sarsie - is daar 'n snelweg. Julle ry aan die linkerkant van die pad (soos Suid-Afrika), maar die afrit is aan die regterkant. Aan watter kant is julle snelbaan dan?
Hi Janneman,

The 'fast' lane is supposed to be the the right lane. The Aussies are not as good as us Joburgers about driving on the left when going slow though.

It is not uncommon to find off ramps from the right lane in Aus. In Sydney there are quite a few of those.

SAS

Hey , Riekie ,

thanx for the piccies - they boggle the mind of us ,

Nothern-Hemisphere dwellers !

- say : is it ever sunny and blue skies there ?

( from your photos , it seems at least as dark and overcast as the U.K. or Benelux );

- and how come : not a human body in sight ?

Keep up the good work , hoor ,

R.

Yes, it is actually very sunny in Oz but for some reason we had mostly cloudy & cold weather in the heart of this summer during our road trip - it even snowed in Melbourne!! :blink: It was overcast most of the time (you'll see from my road trip pics - which I'm still busy resizing before I post them in the travel/places of interest forums) we rarely had a sunny moment.... :( So much for wanting to return home with a nice tan..... :unsure:

The lack of ppl in the pics I've explained earlier on in Afrikaans, but just for the sake of everyone wondering if the Adelaiders have all been abducted by aliens, most of the pics were taken on Christmas Day with ppl generally either being in church, at home or with family. The pics of the buildings in ADL city was taken quite early as well when a lot of ppl were still snoring away...... :whome: When the occasional person came along, I'd just wait for them to literally get out of the picture! :lol::D:holy:

SASydneysider, you also visited ADL this December - do you have some pics or your take on ADL you could share? Thanks for answering that "fast lane" Q - never thought about it and would not have known how to answer it. I always have my eyes set on potential "kodak moments" - I never take notice of the logistics.... :D

Annette, please add your mom's pics! :ilikeit: As far as tourism to ADL goes, I must agree, it has never been marketed as a tourist destination in any noticeable way - maybe someone could change that?..... If you did not tell me about Hahndorf when I initially made enquiries on the forum of what to do & see in ADL, I would never have known about it!! Even the ADL tourism website has little to offer..... :) Apart form that, very few places of interest actually HAVE websites and if they do, the info is sadly very limited and not at all inviting to the extent that you feel you must not miss that. Take Hahndorf for instance - in my opinion a MUST SEE in ADL, but you don't get that idea when searching the web for info. :(

I'm glad you all enjoyed the trip to ADL with me and found the pics & info helpful. :holy:

Our time in Adelaide was far too short, we'll have to go back (when the weather is better!). I've done a bit of a write up in the Travel Section, but have not posted any photographs (hubby hasn't 'prepared' them yet). If anyone wants pics, PM me and when the photograps are ready, I'll write you a CD.

SAS

Thanks SAS. You should try driving on the opposite side of the road (USA) - like I had to do - after having driven for more than 30 years on the left hand side in SA. I was terrified! You wouldn't believe how difficult it can be to make that switch. :holy:

Janneman & SAS,

Riekies picture is of the Southern Express way. This road is three lanes for the biggest part and is in one direction only. During peak morning hours in the week it is open for north bound and changes to South bound in the Afternoon. On weekends the directions are reversed so South bound until about 12 am and then North bound.

In die stede en suburbs is die erwe maar opmekaar en daar is meer dikwels as nie, omtrent net 'n meter tussen jou kamervenster en jou buurman s'n! ;)

Ek kry ons neighbours-to-be vreeslik jammer. Jy weet nie hoe my man kan snork nie! :holy:

Janneman & SAS,

Riekies picture is of the Southern Express way. This road is three lanes for the biggest part and is in one direction only. During peak morning hours in the week it is open for north bound and changes to South bound in the Afternoon. On weekends the directions are reversed so South bound until about 12 am and then North bound.

That bit I did know..... :holy: First time I've seen & experienced a road that could change direction halfway through the day (and that with no chaos)!! ;) Amazing!

Ek kry ons neighbours-to-be vreeslik jammer. Jy weet nie hoe my man kan snork nie! :holy:

He-He!!! :lol::lol::lol: Dan is dit maar hulle beurt!! ;)

PS: Die mense wat my vir foto's gemail het, ek het 'n klein probleempie...... :cry: die folder is 11MB groot!!! Ek het dit ge"zip" maar dit is nog steeds 9MB!! Wat nou? Enige raad hoe om dit kleiner te kry sodat ek dit kan stuur?