Buying a laptop in Australia

Candide

That is one brand only. If you havent noticed- Apple is NOT the onlt laptop brand out there

Agree, I sell Apple in SA and have recently looked at models for someone arriving in Aus soon and they are the same units

So anyone getting the iPad?

Hi,

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 at the Good Guys 10 months ago and I have been having problems with it. Everytime I phone the technical helpline I get through to the Manila. Very frustrating and I was told that there is no Dell service centre in Australia.

Diveup

• 3 weeks later...

That's not good to hear that Dell has no after sale service.

Hi Candide,

They have after sales service, the only problem is that it is in Manila. In the end they were very helpful and helped me with my technical problems. It was more software related than the actual computer itself.

Diveip

Hey,

My advice to laptop buyers is to be a non-geek, i.e. go to an electronics shop.. and try out a few laptops:

Do you like the keyboard?

Is the LCD easy on your eyes?

Is this light enough that I can carry it around?

At the end of the day, CPU, RAM and HDD mean little when it comes to a laptop. The information given isn't really enough to judge the performance... for example, the laptop may be an "ultra portable", so the manufacturer may has setup the laptop to slow down the CPU to save battery.

The best advice is to buy one that the manufacturer says is right for you... for example, Toshiba describe their Satellite notebooks as "Everyday solid performance at an affordable price"; thats about what you want. Stay away from terms like "ultra portable", "executive edition", "desktop replacement".

Lastly, it all comes down to price with computers. The price is your best guide to tell you how fast and portable the laptop really is.

So, if you want a laptop with "resonable" performance, buy one thats priced midway within the home user segment. But most importantly, try it out!!!!!!!

Cheers

Monsta

• 2 weeks later...

Which computer shop is best to go browse and purchase because of good customer service and after sales?

Is Dell still the more popular buy lately? Anybody recently bought a laptop and had a great deal?

Candide

Best deal at the moment for a "regular user" is the Toshiba Satelite - try it out at Officeworks....

One word....MACBOOK

hehe

Three words APPLE MACBOOK PRO

hehehe...

Four words 17" APPLE MACBOOK PRO

Hi,

I am not a student but will be using Microsoft Office for Home use, am I eligible for Home and Student Edition? Do I need a student card to purchase that version or upon registration?

Went to Harvey Norman today and salesperson said ACER!! Anti-virus can get a 1 year or 3 year option. Am not sure if I was given right info, thought once bought an anti-virus, that's it and just need to get online updates.

Those of you who bought your laptop, which shops did you end up making the purchase?

Candide

hehehe...

Four words 17" APPLE MACBOOK PRO

Well if budget is no issue then yes MacBook Pro, looks good, just works, very long battery life. :-)

If budget a concern, like for most people (me included) Dell, Compaq, Asio all seem to have good models.

I have a Dell 1520 (a few years old now, but never had a problem, even after I put Linux and dual booted with Vista and Windows 7)

Service from Dell has always been good (not excellent but good). My wife is prob. going to buy the latest Inspiron 15 with an intel chip, 4g ram, 500 gb hard drive (full spec on Dell site) for under $900. Fair value I think

P.s would like a 'bumper' sticker for my inspiron to say "when I grow up I'm going to be a MacBook Pro ;-)

I wouldn't go for less than 4Gb RAM/Memory, but again, it all depends on the use of the laptop.

I'm very impressed with my recent purchase from a store in Sydney -

Asus K42J (Model)

New i5 Processor (The brain :-)

1Gb DDR3 Ati Graphics card (Graphics Card)

14" HD Display (Screen)

500Gb Hard Drive (Storage)

Memory 4Gb (

DVD Writer

Windows 7 Pro

24 Month Warranty

Webcam

$1,050

Hope that helps

Did not read all the replies (I'm not technical, so most of it is over my head :unsure: ). Bought a PC from Dell a while ago. Once the money was paid, the service stopped. We waited forever for it to be delivered (The delivery date was changed continiously with excuses such as waiting for a component etc) and when it eventually arrived, it was not as per our specifications. After endless calls, they sent us the component seperately and expected us to install it ourselves or they would do it at a cost!!! Long dramas later and we eventually asked them to collect the whole thing and give us a refund which was another mission impossible. Will never buy anything from Dell again. :ilikeit:

Anybody would go for HP? HP Model HP Pavilion DV6-3032TX.

• 2 months later...

I bought my Toshiba Satellite (with WinXP) in Aus 4 years ago, and it's still going. It was from Officeworks, but only because they 'beat' Harvey Norman's price (took the quote to them to get them to beat it!).

I still love it! It was about $1300 or so in 2006, not a super-cheap junky one nor one of the most expensive, but better than I probably would have even LOOKED at in SA. I'd definitely buy another Toshiba :blush: The only 'change" I've made is adding a 1gb memory chip. But now I think it's time for a new laptop (this thread is what I've been looking for, really), it's starting to annoy me with its slowness... poor old thing :P

• 1 month later...

One choice but you probably bought already. Worlds most reliable computers : ASUS.

Had Compaq,Dell and now 5 Asus laptops for the last 6 years without any problems.

Dell the worst ever and after sales service pathetic via some call centre in Asia.

Kids carry ASUS everwhere and they dont break in school bags .

iPHONES THE ONLY APPLE PRODUCT WE LIKE AND USE.

One choice but you probably bought already. Worlds most reliable computers : ASUS.

Had Compaq,Dell and now 5 Asus laptops for the last 6 years without any problems.

Dell the worst ever and after sales service pathetic via some call centre in Asia.

Kids carry ASUS everwhere and they dont break in school bags .

iPHONES THE ONLY APPLE PRODUCT WE LIKE AND USE.

Different strokes I guess,

I prefer the OS X platform I have a macbook, Ipad and Iphone 3GS (2 weeks old) prefer 3gs to 4 and I have had first hand experience with Hp never again also I have had acer,gateway (when they first came out to Aus) Toshiba and if I was to go pc again it would be Toshiba hands down but I am a Mac enthusiast, so nope my preferred laptop is Mac and you can buy them also on special from JB-Hifi and also Dick smith run specials on them as well.

There's no longer a need to choose between a mac or a pc. For the best of both worlds, invest a little more and get the best computer - Mac (ok, I am slightly biased) Why? Well, Macs can run either OS X or you can use bootcamp to run a native windows 7 session.

I was a pc nut for 20 years, then got an iMac last year. I will never buy another windows-based pc again...only macs. No more hardware hassles or clunky software :blink: ..on a mac it all "just works". :magic: Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Tex

Archived