Buying a laptop in Australia

Candide

Hi,

I am looking to buy a laptop for home use - emails and doing assignments and projects for my studies (power point, excel, word etc).

There are so many to choose from....

Which make and specifications should I look for e.g GHz, memory, which CPU? What do I need to check and ask?

Do they usually come with Anti virus and Microsoft Office Home or is that additional expenses?

Your advice please.

Thank You.

Candide

They all the same if in Aus or SA ... If you are are looking at a website PM with the details and I can try and help. You also need to determin what is your price range as this will determine really what you buy ... let me know

It all depends on what you're prepared to spend. Having looked around quite a bit, I wouldn't spend any less than $1000 if you want it to last a couple of years.

If you're just using it for web surfing, assignments and general use (not gaming) I'd go for someting with at least 2.2 Ghz, 2.5 Gig (or more) of Ram and with a dual core processor. In terms of Hard drive, it doesn't really matter - 100Gig is considered small these days, and that's a lot of storage. You can always buy an external hard drive if needs be.

The Dell Inspiron (15, 17 or studio series) comes to mind - we've had one for nearly 4 years now and it's been pretty good to us. The new ones are quite decent. You can pick up a decent one with a few upgrades for about $1500 (they start at $700 or $800 for the basic ones)

It's tempting to go for a $600 or $700 laptop from Harvey Norman or similar shop (like the Compaq Presario) but I wouldn't risk it - most people that buy cheap laptops complain about them within a few months.

In terms of software - sometimes you get MS Office thrown in, it depends. If you're buying a laptop from an electronics shop, definitely ask for them to be included, they usually are prepared to throw in a few things to seal the deal.

Good luck.

You can also look at apple macs. The specs are the same no matter where in the world you go.

If you do buy Dell then buy it online at www.dell.com.au. But before you, do a google search on the web for "dell discount codes". They are valid and legal codes to enter at the checkout stage. They vary from 5% to 20%. Also if you are a member of various things like RAC for eg you get an extra 8-10%. Add the right combination of codes and you looking at 30% off the price which drops a $1200 laptop to $860.

Have a look at :

www.centrecom.com.au

www.msy.com.au

www.mln.com.au

You can get 2 GHz RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive with DVD Writer with either Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, most of these are entry version of the software. There is not much in a name, just make certain it is HP, ASUS, DELL, IBM - I would stay away from AMD, Sempron, Turion, Celeron processors- nowadays Pentium Dual Core, Core 2 Duo or even a Quad Core processor would be the way to go.Microsoft Office 2007 Home starts at $105, depend if you want the Outlook program some others which are available on the up market packages, Anti Virus - you wold have to buy - remember in Oz - everything is negotiable. I have had 3 laptops in the past 7 years and I would definetly go for one of the cheaper priced ones following the above specs. Dont look at Harvey Norman, Good Guys, Retravision etc. When you want to buy a tyre for your car, you go to a tyre shop, you want a computer, go to a computer shop.

I use a similar spec as above for home, work and leisure, most often my HP processor is running at 100% usage, I upload movies, convert to smaller resolutions, play music and work at the same time, it does get hot but no problems after driving it hard for 11 months.

A lot of the reputable brands give you 1 or 2 year warranty, sometimes worldwide.

Good Luck

I just went to Harvey Norman - after some reading and surfing. The specials were pretty good. I got an HP for about $1200 with an extended warranty. I probably could have got it a little cheaper by buying online but the delivery period would then have been about 2 weeks. I wasn't willing to wait. So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

diones would you mind posting the laptop's specs so I can make a comparison to what Dell online would offer for the same price?

I'm also a Toshiba advocate, although not having one right now.

What I can say is:

Look at something with dual core processor (or more)

Windows 7 is a must if you decide to go microsoft. Also I'd go for the 64-bit version instead of 32-bit (future proof)

It completely depends on your budget.

Me, I wanted a gaming machine that didn't cost an arm and a leg. And I found the Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q830.

Wow. I love this thing. It costs more than your average laptop, but boy does it have power to do just about anything.

Did a brief search in Oz, and found this site that sells it. That's a cheaper price than buying from an importer in South Africa, but still more than you'd pay in the US (before shipping and VAT, mine cost R10,500, or $1350 US).

http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/187...-x505-q830.html

And yes... trust me, there are a lot of laptops out there.

What is important is your budget, and functionality. And I disagree with those that say the brand doesn't matter. Sure, a lot of the components are manufactured at the same company (do some research on this, you'll be amazed), but the finishing and lifespan of a laptop you pay a bit more for is sometimes worth it.

-G

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all the enthusiastic responses.

I don't really have much of a budget as am still trying to save what I can from my contract work to finance my studies and hopefully to afford my own place.

Looking at something reliable that has a reasonable lifespan and price range +/- AUD1000 as seem not worthwhile to invest in anything under AUD1000 as not long lasting.

Summary of recommended specifications from feedback received from all of you:

2.2 Ghz

2.5 gig or more of RAM

DVD writer

Windows 7

dual core processor or more

Pentium dual core, Core 2 Duo, Quad Core processor

64 bit version vs 32 bit

Recommended brands:

Dell

Toshiba

HP

IBM

ASUS

Apple Macs

Candide

If you're on a budget of $1000, forget about Apple Mac, they are not cheap.

Hi Candide

Sorry - I dont believe that you have to spend more than a $1000 otherwise you wont get a machine that wont last.

I bought a couple of Dell lpatops for my kids last year which were $750 and they have been fantastic and trust me my son of 8 does not understand handle with care - he carries his laptop around like he used to carry his teddy bear around - by the ears :blink: He even packed it into his luggage when we went to the Gold Coast - did not tell us - thing got dumped into the hold and came out otherside all ok - not suggesting you do this, but my point being is that laptops today are alot more durable.

Dell has an awesome deal at the moment for $999 "Back to school" which I am thinking to buy one for my wife.

For what you are wanting to do I think this machine will cover all your needs and if required you can always upgrade the specs of the machine - add disk space, add memory etc

This deal comes with a 19" monitor, printer, MS Office Home&Student, speakers, mouse, carry bag

Its a 2.1Ghz machine, 4MB RAM, 320GB Hardrive and has the other bits and pieces - wireless card, DVD burner

When you purchase, you can configure the colour of laptop, youcan upgrade your CPU to 2,2Ghz or 2,4Ghz or 2,53Ghz ($200-$400 extra), you can add security(McAfee virus) software for $99, increase disk drive to 500GB ($140), upgrade video card ($105)

You dont have to buy the McAfee security software, you can go online and buy Nortons or any of the other security software.

Based on your specs below - it meets all the requirements with an upgrade of $200 for the CPU to a 2.2Ghz Intel Core duo processor, almost double the RAM you need (memory is good), has the DVD writer, comes installed with windows 7, comes installed with MS Office home &Student 2007

Rgds

Matman

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all the enthusiastic responses.

I don't really have much of a budget as am still trying to save what I can from my contract work to finance my studies and hopefully to afford my own place.

Looking at something reliable that has a reasonable lifespan and price range +/- AUD1000 as seem not worthwhile to invest in anything under AUD1000 as not long lasting.

Summary of recommended specifications from feedback received from all of you:

2.2 Ghz

2.5 gig or more of RAM

DVD writer

Windows 7

dual core processor or more

Pentium dual core, Core 2 Duo, Quad Core processor

64 bit version vs 32 bit

Recommended brands:

Dell

Toshiba

HP

IBM

ASUS

Apple Macs

Candide

matman, please do yourself a favour and google "Dell coupon codes" before you buy again. Really you can get an extra discount by adding the right codes at the online checkout stage. If you have different memberships, like the RAC, you get even more percentage off. You can even enter a friends RAC number and they accept it, as long as you have permission and it is current.

For example the code TGXVRRMCTQ65DX will get you $100 off your purchase

edit: here is another one http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/pro...n&cs=audhs1 gets you 10%

Thanks Jordy

I had not bougt it yet - I got distracted and did not make the purchase. With your info, I will definitely go buy the laptop now - $899 for this package is awesome especially if all you want to do is email, word, excell etc.

rgds

Matman

matman, please do yourself a favour and google "Dell coupon codes" before you buy again. Really you can get an extra discount by adding the right codes at the online checkout stage. If you have different memberships, like the RAC, you get even more percentage off. You can even enter a friends RAC number and they accept it, as long as you have permission and it is current.

For example the code TGXVRRMCTQ65DX will get you $100 off your purchase

edit: here is another one http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/pro...n&cs=audhs1 gets you 10%

Any comments on Mac and the pricing in OZ???

Edited: Spelling

from http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Hardware/11082.html

SA expensive for Macbooks

New research into what a new 13’’ Macbook Pro costs in various countries shows that South Africa is one of the most expensive countries to purchase this device.

The cheapest country which formed part of this investigation is interestingly not the United States (coming in second with a price of $1199), but rather Hong Kong with a price of $1197.66. Australia was third with a price of $1434.62, followed by the UK at $1482.44, Luxembourg with $1564.50 and Norway with $1728.08.

According to the study South Africa was the second most expensive country surveyed with a price of $1760.79 for a new 13’’ Macbook Pro. Brazil was the most expensive at $2068.39.

Agree, I sell Apple in SA and have recently looked at models for someone arriving in Aus soon and they are the same units

Great will have a look at all the links.

Where u based? - i need a new 13" Macbook battery - mine is not lasting long at all!!! Got prices on the net and to be honest

was shocked. Please PM me

Was looking into a screen, mouse and keyboard to buy - we taking a mini-mac with but not the extras, due to space.

Extra's are not mac anyway.

• 3 months later...

Thanx everyone for your input.

So many specifications to take into consideration when buying a lap top. Mind boggling.

Candide

For reviews on electronics have a look at cnet.com.au. I would recommend Dell Laptops as well.

Just love the Apple, especially with easy connection to your Apple phone and IPods, etc.

But HOW widely are Apple used in Oz ? I am buying the children for school purposes and am wondering whether the Apples will work best for school!?

Archived