Over the counter Medication

Karen-in-Brisbane

you can get the following over the counter - mersyndol ( combination of paracetamol, codeine and sedative ), panadeine (paracetamol and codeine) panadol (paracetamol) Advil, Neurofen (ibruprofen) Voltaren tablets (diclophenac) note no injections of Voltaren even prescribed. Panafen plus (ibruprofen 200mg and codeine 12.8mg)

Cold and flu - Codral

children- neurofen syrup, panadol syrup, painstop (panadol and codeine)

Prescription medication: Panadeine Forte, Mersyndol Forte as above but with extra codeine.

Also able to get Diflucan for thrush over the counter and various creams for fungal infections eg lamisal

It is procedure when they sell you any medication to ask a whole lot of questions e.g have you taken this before , how much, why, what else are you on. That is just routine and part of what is required in order to be responsible pharmacists.

Not available in Aus: celestamine tablets, voltaren injections,

Hope this helps

Thanks...very helpful!!

Is one able to get family to send some meds from SA?? eg: Anthisan cream??

Or black forest tea?

Thanks

K

Can i for example stock up on all sorts of medicine and creams etc and take it with on the trek there? in the container?

wont immigration or customs have a problem wiht all my bottles of medicine, especially if I have 3 or 4 of each?

Can someone perhaps shed any light on the temperature inside the container?

I've heard it gets pretty hot in there, and some medications have to be kept below a certain temp.

Hi Everyone

For those who miss those Myprodol caps: you can take 2 panadeiene tabs & 2 Nurofen (Ibuprofen) together. It is 4 tabs, but the same ingrediants as Myprodol caps. Just a lot to swollow.

Ask for chemist own panadeiene -lots cheaper. Advil is the same as Nurofen - some of them just digests faster, Always read the label of how much you can use in the day.

Kids: never give aspirin to kids less than 13y old and Nurofen to babies less than 6 months (unless it is prescribed by your doctor)

Do not use selfmedication for more than 48 hours.

For the mozziebites: lots of insect repellents and good-smelling too.

Good first Aid for Mozzie, bee & wasp stings:

Do not squeese or scratch the bite. The toxins will spread and the itchiness & redness becomes worse.For wasps and bees, you can remove the stinger by scraping it off with a bankcard and do not use a tweezer to pull it out. Wash the affected area under running tapwater, pat dry.

Apply ice (in a cloth) over the area that's affected for at least 20 min, then some cortisone cream. For minor bites, you only have to use antihistamine cream

Good to have an antihistamine tablet. Phenergan can be bought over the counter, but remember that it will make you drowsy.

Phenergan & other antihistamines such as Demazin syrup for kids, telfast, etc can be bought over the counter (ask your Pharmacist)

For people allergic (anaphilaxis) to bees, you might have the same reaction to wasps. Good Idea is to have an Epipen (prescribed by Dr). Call 000 if any breathing problems, swelling of the face, neck and tongue occur.

Tips for compiling a FIRST AID medicine cupboard:

Panadol (Panadeiene) & Nurofen

Phenergan or any other antihistamine

Buscopan (for stommach cramps)

Gastrostop (same as Immodium)

Gastrolyte tabs (can be disolved in water for hydration)

Antihistamine cream 25mg (or ask your pharmacist)

Cortisone cream (Canestan or Hydrosole)

Aloe Vera Aftersun Gel

Antifungal Cream

Thermometer

Most meds are available in syrup or drops for children

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO READ THE LABLE BEFORE USING MEDICATION AND DO NOT USE MORE THAN THE REQUIRED DOSE

Most of the meds is the same, just a different name. Don't have to ship a lot of meds, just take the bottle/tube/tablets to your local Pharmacist ant they can provide you with an equivalent.

Always look at the expiry date.

Regards

Madelein

CHoices are very limited for over the counter stuff, you can hardly get anything over the counter and seeing a GP costs $60.

...and if you have PR the GP costs are paid by Medicare. Legislation relating to medicines is just different here (as it is in most countries), but that is not necessarily bad.

Hi Everyone

For those who miss those Myprodol caps: you can take 2 panadeiene tabs & 2 Nurofen (Ibuprofen) together. It is 4 tabs, but the same ingrediants as Myprodol caps. Just a lot to swollow.

Ask for chemist own panadeiene -lots cheaper. Advil is the same as Nurofen - some of them just digests faster, Always read the label of how much you can use in the day.

Kids: never give aspirin to kids less than 13y old and Nurofen to babies less than 6 months (unless it is prescribed by your doctor)

Do not use selfmedication for more than 48 hours.

For the mozziebites: lots of insect repellents and good-smelling too.

Good first Aid for Mozzie, bee & wasp stings:

Do not squeese or scratch the bite. The toxins will spread and the itchiness & redness becomes worse.For wasps and bees, you can remove the stinger by scraping it off with a bankcard and do not use a tweezer to pull it out. Wash the affected area under running tapwater, pat dry.

Apply ice (in a cloth) over the area that's affected for at least 20 min, then some cortisone cream. For minor bites, you only have to use antihistamine cream

Good to have an antihistamine tablet. Phenergan can be bought over the counter, but remember that it will make you drowsy.

Phenergan & other antihistamines such as Demazin syrup for kids, telfast, etc can be bought over the counter (ask your Pharmacist)

For people allergic (anaphilaxis) to bees, you might have the same reaction to wasps. Good Idea is to have an Epipen (prescribed by Dr). Call 000 if any breathing problems, swelling of the face, neck and tongue occur.

Tips for compiling a FIRST AID medicine cupboard:

Panadol (Panadeiene) & Nurofen

Phenergan or any other antihistamine

Buscopan (for stommach cramps)

Gastrostop (same as Immodium)

Gastrolyte tabs (can be disolved in water for hydration)

Antihistamine cream 25mg (or ask your pharmacist)

Cortisone cream (Canestan or Hydrosole)

Aloe Vera Aftersun Gel

Antifungal Cream

Thermometer

Most meds are available in syrup or drops for children

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO READ THE LABLE BEFORE USING MEDICATION AND DO NOT USE MORE THAN THE REQUIRED DOSE

Most of the meds is the same, just a different name. Don't have to ship a lot of meds, just take the bottle/tube/tablets to your local Pharmacist ant they can provide you with an equivalent.

Always look at the expiry date.

Regards

Madelein

Thanks so much!! Very informative and helpful!!!!

K

Hi Beukes Familie

I was insulted at our local chemist the other day. I went to get something for flu and this lady ask's me for my license and then turns around to her collegue and says that I don't look "dodgy" :jester: in my face. well she can be glad that I felt like crap otherwise she would have gotten a mouth full. what a bllody cheeck. :ilikeit:

Het jy gesoek na 'sudafed'. As dit die geval was, die rede hoekom hulle jou bestuurslisensie gesoek het is die 'sudo ephedrine' in die sudafed (opdroog van jou loperige neus) wat baie goed werk. Ek het dit ook in SA gebruik. Mense in Aus maak die tablette fyn en maak 'Crystal meth' van die sudafed. Dis maar net om seker te maak dat jy nie beplan om dit te doen nie. Maak nie saak na watter apteek toe jy ookal gaan om sudafed te kry nie, hulle gaan almal vra vir jou bestuurslisensie.

'n Vriendin van my het haar ma gevra om vir haar 'Benelyn 4 flu' te pos van SA af saam met 'n klomp ander medikasie. Als het deurgekom, maar hulle het die Benelyn 4 flu gekonfeskeur oor dit ook sudo ephedrine in het.

Hoop dit maak sin.

Telanie