Over the counter Medication

Karen-in-Brisbane

Hi Those in Oz...

I noticed red's comment in a different thread that Myprodol is not available over the counter in Oz..... Is there anything similar???

Also can one get black forest tea in Oz and what does it cost?

It sometimes seems from posts on the forum that SA has a bigger variety and much better quality products/clothes than Oz and that surprises me..... Any comments??

Thanks

K

Hi K

I have seen black forest tea and rooibos in a few health shops here. I am not too sure of the pricing but I will keep an eye out for you.

Panadeine (a paracetemol and codeine mix) is quite a good over the counter pain killer but not as good as myprodol. I haven't seen anything too much stronger here though.

S

You can find rooibos tea at a lot of shops under organic teas but are very expensive ($4 for 15-20 teabags). I still buy mine from the South African shop as it is a lot cheaper ($6 for a box of freshpack).

Over the counter medication is a nightmare : Panadol/panadeine is like panado and you buy that at your supermarket. In the pharmacy you can get stronger but like neurofen plus is the strongest I think. Nothing like Myprodol.

I am struggling with meds for the kids as they don't have a lot of choices. For colds and flu there is Demazin and Dimetapp but that is about it - no flusin or any of the others we know. For fever there is panadol and neurofen, that is the most common. Local Pharmacies are very expensive but you can find places like chemist warehouse that is a lot cheaper.

Ronell

Edited by steynrr

Hey K...

I am yet to find anything here that you buy over the counter that works effectively... and would be happy for any forumites to advise me on good over the counter pain meds...

Maybe it's a good thing...

red

Thanks S and Red....I appreciate the replies. Pity about the mypradol hey!!!

For the pain - Klipdrift!!

Edited by Sa2Nz2Oz

Rooibos is much more scarce to find in supermarkets in OZ, used to get it at most supermarkets in NZ and sometimes a choice of 2.

Edited by Sa2Nz2Oz

I was insulted at our local chemist the other day. I went to get something for flu and this lady ask's me for my license and then turns around to her collegue and says that I don't look "dodgy" :rolleyes: in my face. well she can be glad that I felt like crap otherwise she would have gotten a mouth full. what a bllody cheeck. :ilikeit:

This won't help you as I live in the UK (except if you want to move here!) but I was surprised at the lack of variety in things here. The only variety they have here is clothes (and I'm not that into clothes being a housewife - more clothes mean more washing).

I really miss Dischem - here there is little variety in medicines as well as vitamines and natural supplements. You need to go to smaller health shops and they are very expensive.

That said we do have Mrs Balls chutney, lots of rooibos (redbush) and even chai rooibos at Sainsburys. And lots of South African wine which helps for the pain!!

South Africa seems much more modern, up to date with more variety than here.

I seem to be a magnet for all sorts of biting insects and have spent the summer trying out every sort of (very limited) anti-itch remedy. Here in Australia you cannot buy anti-histamine creams like "anthisan". All the soothing gels that I have been given by the pharmacist have proved pretty ineffective. My mum is coming over for a visit soon and I have put in an order for a couple of tubes of anthisan! In general I have found that most over-the-counter medications are "watered down" versions of what we could obtain in SA. They are a lot stricter about handing over medications without a prescription here.

In an effort to avoid the biting critters I have been plugging a mozzie machine with mortein mats into our bedroom electric socket at night - and am STILL being bitten! I am wondering if these mortein mats are also "watered down"?! In SA I always had great success with the "peaceful sleep" mozzie mats as well as the other brands. Here I have only seen one type/brand and it doesn't seem very effective.

Anyone have any other recommendations to keep biting things at bay? We do have insect screens on all the doors and windows but they still manage to find their way in. In fact I am scratching away at a couple of midge bites while I type this!!

Cheers

Lisa

OH MY WORD LISA!! I have BIG problems with mozzie bites here and have to burn a mat every nite and carry around anti itch cream all the time. We are headed to brisbane... Where are you???? Can you get stuff thru a doctor????

K

Lots of houses in Brisbane have screens, I think. We stayed in Brisbane for almost a week with friends recently, and their house has screens on all openings, and didn't see any mozzies. Only one spider too, which I took outside - the geckos help if you are lucky to have these - they are a bit noisy though. :holy:

Thanks Nazba.... Did I mention ARACHNOPHOBIA???????????????????

OH MY WORD!!!

Ha, ha. Yep, that gets me too. But when we were there we didn't think about it much and it's easy to just forget about the spiders. Make sure you get plenty of geckos!

Edited by Nazba

Beukes Family

Don't be upset, that is just the Aussie sense of humour coming through. You see in Australia, if you are going to buy cough mixture over the counter, they are mostly required, in some states, to ask for identification and write it down, as cough mixture is often purchased to manufacture drugs like 'ice'. So....she was actually paying you a compliment by saying that you do not look 'dodgy'!

Hope that explains their actions?

Interesting topic being discussed here...... I am still residing in Texas, and when they say that things are bigger and better in Texas - that includes the mozzies. Every morning before my son goes to school I have to rub misquito repellant on him. I found a great natural product at Whole Foods (an organic shop). It is called Burt's Bees and works pretty well. But you have to rub it onto almost every exposed bit of skin....he got chowed on the ears a few times. Perhaps Australia has a health shop where one can purchase something similar. If my son does get bitten and he scratches the bite, I have found that bactroban is most effective. Everytime I go back to SA I buy a years supply of bactroban.

For high fever here in the U.S. I use a combination of Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Motrin (ibuprofen). Tylenol is the equivalent of panado. When a child has a high fever you can administer both medicines at the first dose, and then tylenol every 4hrs and motrin every 6hrs. It works so well and can be adminstered together because they are different active ingredients. I never take a chance with my boy getting a high fever since I have heard some horror stories about febrile seizures.

As for the license in order to buy medicine.....there is a similar thing here in the U.S. for buying alcohol. I am most flattered when they ask for my ID when buying beer for my hubby.........they want to make sure that I am over 18.......perhaps I am a 42yr old looking like a teenager....what better compliment could I ask for? :ilikeit:

As for the flu meds.......my son rarely suffers from a cold, but does have some seasonal allergies. I am loathe to give my son flusin or any meds that have pseudoephedrine. It is just not good for them.....read the side effects. :thumbdown: My boy has been prescribed flu meds by the docs in the past and rarely has it helped. For colds we take tylenol to dull the aches and pains, and I usually use a nasal spray....I am miserable if I can't breathe properly.

We are looking forward to our move to Australia....if all goes according to plan we will be moving Oct/Nov. This forum has certainly been a great source of information.

CHoices are very limited for over the counter stuff, you can hardly get anything over the counter and seeing a GP costs $60.

CHoices are very limited for over the counter stuff, you can hardly get anything over the counter and seeing a GP costs $60.

In that case I sure am glad I have got used the price of things in US$. Costs me $85-$100 to see a GP here. A while back I felt miserable and took a trip to my GP. I asked for the 1st dose of antibiotic to be adminstered via injection.....boy of boy...was I sorry when I saw the cost. Set me back $85 for the consultation and $80 for the shot. In a way now, I am glad to be moving to Australia...our health costs are going to come down drastically, especially since we pay a fortune for our expat medical cover. The cost of medical care in the U.S. is absolutely ridiculous. :thumbdown:

I was insulted at our local chemist the other day. I went to get something for flu and this lady ask's me for my license and then turns around to her collegue and says that I don't look "dodgy" :D in my face. well she can be glad that I felt like crap otherwise she would have gotten a mouth full. what a bllody cheeck. :ilikeit:

You must be dodgey if you come from Primrose :lol:

You obviously dont do this enough. If you by cough mixture they have a legal requirement to check ID, and ensure you are not buying it to make drugs.

There is a big drug problem here because of the free cash available

if you buy aerosol paint you will have to show a drivers licence, but only if you buy the cheap paint. The cheap paint has more propellant and less paint.

I discovered this at Repco when I was looking for the cheapest paint and a youugster camein for the same. It was offered to me but they weer refused so I asked whay afer the kid left. They keep the cheap paint behind the counter, the others in a locked cabinet

I've changed to Advil and Nurofen (both available from Coles or Woollies). About $5.00 for 24. I miss Vicks Medinite you use to get in SA.

Our rental in Gold Coast got flyscreens - which is effective for mozzies, but not flies (haha), somehow they seems to sneek in. If you're on your way pack a few decent fly-swatters. I got my Mum-in-law to bring me 3 when she came over last time. We also use mozzie repellent spray on our legs when outside in the late afternoon and evenings. It seems to work.

Hi,

I have the flu and i have battled with medication over the counter. I just wished there was Vicks Medi-night or Vicks night and day. After trying several over the counter medication i eventually had to go and see the doctor.

Diveup

Here's a positive one...

Back in RSA we could never get a cortisone cream over the counter. Would you believe that over here, you CAN buy them without a prescription... BONUS!!!Found that out tonight!!

Also... Pricerite Pharmacy (here were we are) closes at 9:00pm... wonderful!!

I suffer a lot with headaches, and I find here in Australia, the most effective pain reliever for a bad headache is Mersyndol - I think it's similar to Syndol which you get in SA, but for me it doesn't work quite as well. I also had to write my name in the book at the chemist when I bought it. Other than that, Nurofen is probably your best bet. I really miss the Ponstel syrup in the brown bottle (with the teddy bear on the label) - that's the only medicine my kids would take without complaining! :)

You can only get Bactroban on script here, so stock up. If your child only takes only one painkiller, stock up. The ones here are especially revolting (thick, guey, goblike stuff).