Find employment lately?

Pixel

Hi Everyone,

Okay so there's been lots of negative talk lately, about the shortage of jobs and the number of people either losing their jobs or battling to find employment. We never seem to hear about the good stories that I'm sure must exist.

I thought perhaps it would give some hope to all of us out there if we heard something more positive from those who have actually found employment recently.

So if you've recently settled into a new job, or will be soon, please post what you do and in which area/state you work.

Thanks for sharing :censored:

Regards

Pixel

• Like 1

I think this would be a nice positive post.......a chance to believe....

So, for those of you that have found jobs - please post !

Nix

I started looking for an IT job at the start of Feb in Sydney. I am an intermediate .Net developer. I only got contacted by one agent for one job and went to the interview and got the job. I applied for about 15 jobs on seek and only the one reply. Lucky for me I got it!

We got a job, just before Christmas, due to start in late january. UNfortunately the visa timing did not co operate, but the company was very understanding and so today is Steve's first day! He is an elect eng and the job is in Canberra. We relocated from Perth for the job.

I work in credit insurance, my old manager works in Perth, she told her boss that I was coming over and he had her ask me to write him an essay on myself ( was very daunting)!! SO when i arrived I hadn't even thought of working and my mate asks me to give her boss a call as he would like to see me, so I met with him and he said that they had a position going at the moment, its a bit junior to what I am used to, but I need to get a foot in the door and pay is not bad. Also there is a good chance of promotion within the first year and that comes with a car and pay increase of about $10K a year. So he asked me back for some accuracy tests ( they are big on testing here), did the tests and got offered the job a week later. I hadnt even really started to look for a job etc and one was offered straight off the bat.

Also another recruitment guy who i had contacted from RSA was dead keen to find me a job, he was a bit odd though, wanted me to go for an interview the day after I landed!! Turned him down politely.

While I haven't exactly found employment yet, I've just identified a major possibility for easy self-employment. It should have been obvious to most South Africans, but for some reason nobody is doing it yet. I mean, just how do the Australians manage to keep their clothes without crinkles and their rubbish well organized, if nobody is selling extra-strong black bin bags and plastic hangers at the traffic lights? I wonder if I'll need an Australian Business Number to do this?

On the more serious/positive side, I've noticed that many government jobs use an "equal opportunity" policy in their job applications. Of course, we won't easily qualify as Torries Islanders, but many SA people will be able to tick off the boxes for "speak language other than English at home" and "born elsewhere". My perception of AA/BEE is starting to shift along with the fence location...

Got a phone call in nov 08 was over 30min

And after 2weeks got phone call that i got the job at Mrs mac's as an electrician still waiting for dam visa to go

Hi,

I posted this elsewhere on the forum today - started looking through the local papers in January for opportunities, sent out about 6 CV's. I only got replies about mid-Jan as everyone was still in holiday mode. Applied directly, no agents.

I was invited to attend 3 interviews, 2 of which resulted in call-backs, and one resulted in an offer which I received today!

And believe it or not the other one also came back positive, subject to me completing a 1 week training course....so I am in the enviable position of being able to choose, never in my wildest dreams did I see that coming!

So stay positive, keep looking, there ARE jobs out there! And be flexible.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your replies - it is really motivational to the rest of us who are still looking or will be looking soon.

Please keep them coming - this is what we like to see :ilikeit:

Regards

Pixel

I started looking for an IT job at the start of Feb in Sydney. I am an intermediate .Net developer. I only got contacted by one agent for one job and went to the interview and got the job. I applied for about 15 jobs on seek and only the one reply. Lucky for me I got it!

i've been applying for around 10 jobs a day since beginning of december after i got made redundant, and still nothing :blush:

i'm an IT Systems Engineer.

the recruitment process in australia is pathetic. it takes weeks even months for them to make a decision.

• Like 1

TO be honest, South Africa was not much better, calibrated. I would still get 'call backs' up to a year after an interview.

thats true. but most things happened within 2-3 weeks. hell, i was offered my job with dimension data as soon as my interview was finished!

currently shortlisted on some jobs since december, that are still under review by a "panel". surely it doesnt take two months to make a frikken decision. they arent electing a new prime minister...

Edited by calibrated

I see most of these job offers were for people already in Aus? Unless I've misread?

So - not a lot of 457s then... sigh...

We have friends coming over in the next few months on a 457. He got offered the position recently. He used to work for the SA offices of this company, but resigned and moved to another. Now the Aus office has made him an offer.

thats true. but most things happened within 2-3 weeks. hell, i was offered my job with dimension data as soon as my interview was finished!

currently shortlisted on some jobs since december, that are still under review by a "panel". surely it doesnt take two months to make a frikken decision. they arent electing a new prime minister...

That WAITING must be so unsettling!

A lot of companies have a very relaxed, no-worries approach to employment, seem to be oblivious to the anxious job-seekers plight!

It feels a bit like Cape Town, called the "mother city" because everything takes 9 months... :blush:

Calibrated, what about a gentle reminder e-mail or call to the places where you are shortlisted? Often the squeakiest hinge gets the most oil! Good luck!

That WAITING must be so unsettling!

A lot of companies have a very relaxed, no-worries approach to employment, seem to be oblivious to the anxious job-seekers plight!

It feels a bit like Cape Town, called the "mother city" because everything takes 9 months... :blush:

Calibrated, what about a gentle reminder e-mail or call to the places where you are shortlisted? Often the squeakiest hinge gets the most oil! Good luck!

been doing that! probably getting annoyed with me. lol. apparantly next week there should be a decision....although it was supposed to be last week...

been doing that! probably getting annoyed with me. lol. apparantly next week there should be a decision....although it was supposed to be last week...

UGGHHH!! Must be driving you nuts! Will be waiting with bated breath for that magical "I got it!" post... ;)

Yup, forwarded CV etc late November, phone interview mid-December. Flown to Sydney (from Akl) early Jan. Job offered (provisionally) 2 days later.

Job is a little unusual and people with requisite skills are rare in the extreme (so are posts), job is for a Cyclotron engineer.

Anyone heard of people getting jobs in Brisbane on the Financial Management/Accounting side lately? We are coming over to Brisbane on the 15th March (on a 175 ) - ERP Accountant.

On Ave how long is it taking for people to pick up jobs in Brisbane? (I know it would depend on the industry but for the above type industry)

Anyone one know of any potential positions plse let me know

Kind regards

Kento

• 2 weeks later...

update:

Had an interview this morning with Data#3 as a Network Engineer

3 hours later, was offered the position

Start tomorrow :ilikeit:

finally after 3 months of unemployment!

• Like 1

YAAAAAYY!!!!

What wonderful news, Calibrated! Have been waiting for this post for a while now...what a relief!

Best of luck in your new job!

zorba

update:

Start tomorrow :ilikeit:

Wooohooo! Cool man!

I've been stressing about the job thing too, but figured out trying to do something from the South African side is almost as effective as a chocolate teapot, so I decided to just relax and handle once there.

Calibration complete. Equipment running. :ilikeit:

Calibrated.....well done. I'm sure you have experienced the longest three months of your life.

Am very happy and relieved for you.

Calibrated!! - Fabulous news, congratulations.

I have been very lucky with 457 sponsored positions. I was offered 2 late last year but turned them down as the jobs involved extensive worldwide travel and I have 2 little children who need their Mom!

Got another this morning - the travel thing was raised (again!!) but after some discussion it sounds as though it is minimal. My company here has dealings with this company so I have already met the people I would be working with and actually represented them at a client when I was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. Think this may be the one - although I may have to do a bit of salary negotiation. Anyone else noticed that salaries offered have also dropped off??

Don't want to negotiate myself out of a job though - But some more relocation allowance would be nice!!

update:

Start tomorrow :lol:

Congratulations! I'm sure you are SO relieved. My DH has been looking since December and so far nothing ..... he has extended his searching to New Zealand (Yikes!). So after more than 6 years in Oz, we are considering moving to where ever he can get a job. Who would of thought ...............