SPIDERS!

zorba

One thing I never counted on, and it's taking some getting used to, is all the SPIDERS in Australia!

They are EVERYWHERE, and I mean EVERYWHERE...

Every trip to the washline entails an armed forward party, complete with broom and poisin spray. :D Every morning as we step out of the front door there is a huge web waiting to be broken, only to be rebuilt the following night - these spiders are persistent! A+ for effort and consistency!

Well, the Spider Council must've held an emergency meeting and decided that my reign of terror had to be stopped! They put a hit out on me... :)

Just after Christmas I woke up one morning to find a spider bite in the crook of my left elbow. More scary than the bite itself was the realisation that the spider had to have been IN the bed to administer the bite... :o

There were 2 little holes about 3mm's apart. I didn't give it much thought and just washed the area and applied trusty betadine ointment. It was a bit sore and quite itchy, but I'm tough so just ignored it. We did, however, change the bedlinen immediately and I now tumble everything for 5 mins after line drying, hoping to kill off any evil goggas.

Well, this morning I FINALLY went off to the Doc to get it seen to. The bite "mark" has gone, but the skin just won't heal - it looks a bit like inflamed eczma and feels a bit deadish (?!). Apparently it's called necrosis or necritis, and the cells actually die off, rather dangerous!

The Doc prescribed cortisone cream and a fatherly lecture about the dangers of bites and, worse still, the dangers of ignoring said bites. So now I am duly remorseful :holy: and hopefully on the path to recovery!

I just sent a memo to the Spider Council... THIS IS WAR, AND YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!

Now where's that poisin spray.....?

Hi Zorba

Nothing can quite prepare you for how busy the spiders are here-are they scared of becoming unemployed or something?

When we first arrived and visited people I would notice the amount of webs in their homes and think" gee, a whizz round with the feather duster wouldn't hurt"

Then I moved into my own home and simply could not keep up.

Now my Mum always maintained that a spiders web can be used in place of an elastoplast and an entomologist friend taught me a lot on the beneficial aspects of spiders, so I have tried to welcome them into my life- although hubby is a proponent of mass chemical destruction.

I have co-existed quite happily with numerous species of spider both here and in Namibia with an approach of " you leave me alone pal and I will leave you alone" but recently my goodwill to all men and spiders philosophy dried up.

In Albany we had a spider who lived behind the left side mirror of the car, a most industrious and artistic web designer-on moving to Queensland our car was shipped by rail and took two weeks to arrive.

Lo and behold our 8 legged artist was still in residence although obviously traumatised by his interstate travels.

His artwork was now more frenzied and random( ever seen those pics on webs done by spiders on drugs?)

We forgave his decline in standards and chose to let him continue his passion and wiped his efforts away each day to encourage greater aspiration and p him off a bit.

Last week I sat in the coles carpark and out came our little " Salvador Dali", I have never in my life seen such an ugly, most certainly toxic, looking spider, the decision was now made.

I drove home and A-bombed him, literally doom(ed) his very existence.

Did I secretly harbour the desire that he survive?

I don't know, but I sure miss him!

Hi Ladyfingers

I wait with bated breath!

Actually we have had that particular photo on the forum before and after much debate etc it was found that the bird in question is very small and that the photo owes a lot to perspective and angles.

That is not to say that the orb spider or female at least is an incy wincy spider, look here Golden orb spider

Zorba, Andrea, you guys have a way with words.

I agree! Most entertaining... of course I was going "eeek!!" reading your posts!!

Well as much as I hate spiders,,,, I would rather have spiders than crime..........bastards broke into my mom's place and did some shopping.... give me eight legs anyday!!

Well as much as I hate spiders,,,, I would rather have spiders than crime..........bastards broke into my mom's place and did some shopping.... give me eight legs anyday!!

And you, threatening us with your boa!!

Thanks Ladies, that was a real funny story, I also hate the spiders, the web they spin on the sliding screen doors are so strong and difficult to wipe off, they also give me the creeps, I havent' had a bite yet but my friend did, turned out quite nasty.

I better go find my tin of raid, all this talk of spiders is making my skin crawl.................

Jill

Oh bugger... If my wife sees this thread, our Aus-plans will take a serious knock... :unsure:

Anybody have info on emmigrating to the Arctic, or simialar (mostly) spiderless places..? :cry:

Hi All

We have a lot of these nasty spiders on the island in Tasmania as well. Had 2 Huntsman's in the house the other day, one was really big, I nearly fainted!!! :blink: But that does not compare to the big one we found in the car on the passenger seat when we were on our way to drop off my son at school last year! Sitting in the sun, very lazy, and quite annoyed at us for disturbing him.

My 8 year old son nearly fainted, never seen him ran that fast :rolleyes: . I spray the house every week cause I'm scared of bites on the boys. But we have a huge open field next to the house, so fighting a loosing battle!! Now we are moving to a farm just outside of Exeter end of January, and it's the snakes breeding time in Febr and March (I've been told by the Tasmanians, as if I need to hear that kind of information!!!) , so I am petrified now!! As if spiders was not bad enough, now it's snakes as well. Think of me, as I will be geared with Mortein, boots on the feet and a stick for snakes when going out there!!!!

All the best to all out there with the battle against these goggas!!!

Regards, Prieska

Edited by Prieska

• 1 month later...

Gak! I did a first aid course a few weeks ago. Now all spiders look like Funnel Web spiders. Before, I couldn't care less about spiders and any critters that made their way into my place were put into a food container and released into the garden. That policy is currently under review.

Zorba, the spider that bit you was probably a white tail spider.

180px-Whitetailbig.jpg

Wikipedia says they're not dangerous, but my first aid instructor disagrees and another student in the course was also bitten by them and showed off their effects... not pretty. Especially a year after they've bitten you. If you feel itching or tingling 1 year later, please see the doctor. It's the poison coming back

I honestly haven't seen many spiders here, but the webs!!! Eish - these things are like candy-floss and appear overnight everywhere! I now realize that the fly screens are not only for the flies - it is for the mozzies, spiders, snakes and other unwelcome wildlife!!! :lol:

I need to keep reminding myself that spiders eat flies each time I want to reach for the Doom! :lol:

OH NO! I really do NOT DO SPIDERS and wonder if i should withdraw our visa application!! We are headed to Nth Brisbane. PLEASE TELL ME WE ARE LUCKY AS THE SPIDERS PREFER OTHER AREAS?????????????

OH NO! I really do NOT DO SPIDERS and wonder if i should withdraw our visa application!! We are headed to Nth Brisbane. PLEASE TELL ME WE ARE LUCKY AS THE SPIDERS PREFER OTHER AREAS?????????????

Nah don't worry Queensland has no spiders at all! Amazing for a tropical climate :whome:

I detest spiders (always have, always will....).

I spent many dollars applying DIY poison treatments every summer. This was in vain as the spider webs are back in a few days.

Last summer I've had enough and contacted a professional pest control guy (local Yellowpages). He came out and took about 1 hr spraying around the house with a long hose connected to a tank on the back of his Ute. He recommended that we leave the spider webs for about 2 days. I was amazed how many dead spiders appeared over the 2 days (when they come in contact with the residue on the web). After two days I cleared the webs and that was the last webs for summer....

It cost about $140 but it was worth every cent. The rest of summer was virtually spider and web free. They obviously use something better than the local stuff at Bunnings and also know where to apply it.

PhillipJ

Hi Phillip

That was $140 well spent, because your property is still web-free! I will definitely do it in summer again. Which month is best to do it?

• 3 weeks later...

Cancel that visa, quickly....quickly. South-east Queensland (where Brisbane is located :)) is home to numerous species of spiders. :holy:

Bird-dropping Spider,Black house Spider,Brown Huntsman,Brown Widow,Brush Footed Spider, comb-footed spider,Daddy-long-legs,Flower Spider,Funnel Web Spider, Garden Orb-weaver,Giant Water Spider,Giant green huntsman,Golden Orb-weaver,Grey House Spider,Grey Huntsman,Jewelled Spider,Jumping Spider,Leaf Curling Spider,Lynx Spider,Magnificent Spider,Mouse Spider,Net-casting Spider,Redback Spider,Red House Spider, Scorpion-tailed Spider,Shield Huntsman,Silver Orb Spider,Slender Sac Spider,Spotted Ground Spider,St Andrew's Cross Spider,Swift Ground Spider,Tent Spider,trapdoor Spider,Triangular Spider,Two -spined Spider,Water Spider,Whip Spider,White-tailed Spider,Wolf Spider :blink:

A chart of common spiders of South-east Queensland is available on the following website www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/spiders/spidersnest.asp

They apparently even have their own union - The Spinners Union. :whome:

Enjoy!

Manny

Edited by MannyT

A chart of common spiders of South-east Queensland is available on the following website www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/spiders/spidersnest.asp

Ok, that made the day... the missus won't move if she sees this... :)

Are there really so many spiders, snakes and flies in AU?

Surely they are not a major issue in the CBD's, can understand the outback etc?

Are there really so many spiders, snakes and flies in AU?

Surely they are not a major issue in the CBD's, can understand the outback etc?

Why don't you come on over into ''our web ''and decide for yourself. lol :ilikeit:

OK - lets be serious..... how bad are the spiders in brisbane??????

Come now, it is only spiders.... Could have been worse, like living in a country ruled by the ANC.... :-)

OK - lets be serious..... how bad are the spiders in brisbane??????

Dont let the kreepy krauly's scare you. You could have a gun in your face that to me is more scary.