SPIDERS!

zorba

Well if you put it that way I guess spiders start to seem a tiny bit better................... :ilikeit:

LOL - I like this one....

post-10265-1238679113.jpg

And the one that freaked my wife out!!!!

post-10265-1238679242.jpg

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've posted a photo of the spider I found in my house a year ago. Search for Cody the spider

Was alone at home, hubby in Melbourne and a 5 year old who was looking at my reaction to this massive spider!

Well, let's just say that's why the sipder has a name, to cover my own fears!

Ag toemaar dearies, mens raak hulle gewoond. En hulle soek ook nie tv's komberse en jou klere in hulle huise nie. Hulle dra ook nie AK 47's nie.

Spuit maar net van hierdie Mortein giffies wat 6 maande lank hou reg rondom jou huis en Bob's your uncle!

The spiders are pretty scary. I have a golden orb living just outside my window. She is relatively harmless and doesn't move much so we just leave her alone. Plus she spins the most beautiful webs. She is probably about 8cm across from toe to toe. My four year old calls her Charlotte.

The other night a huntsman came in the open window in the middle of CSI. That was horrible. They are also not poisonous but they are big and hairy (like the toilet roll spider above). Hubby hit him with the back of a broom and he exploded all over the wall. Lots of spider guts and pieces of leg which I had to scrub off.

The funnelweb is the dengerous one and is mainly in Sydney but I think more in the Northern suburbs which is one of the reasons why we opted to stay in the east. Having said that, my brother lives up the road from us on the harbour edge and his next door neighbour was doing construction and found a whole lot of blue ringed octopus (octopi, octopuses, octopodes?) on the rocks. Apparently there is no antivenom if one of those bite you. :)

There are a lot of scary animals here, but I'll take my chances with them over the two legged kind back in SA any day.

• Like 1

I am a arachnaphobic and it has been getting worse in the last few years, just need to see something "spider like" (twig, ball of tread, etc) out of the corner of my eye and my brain fills in the blanks to see a spider. I can definitely say, in my experience, that Sydney has less crawleys than other places we went to on our LSD. But Aus as a whole has soooo much more than SA, I would say that I see at least 10 times more spiders and their webs than I did on a daily basis in SA. And like one of you said, I also thought the Aussies were not very regular cleaners when I looked at all the spider webs around their houses and work places. Only to find the webs completely restored the day after I cleaned them out. We live in one of those beautiful terrace houses in Sydneys Inner West, that are made of these weather board planks with the corrugated roof and the cast-iron lace detail round the porch. Apparently these wooden houses are good for moving with the soil when it shrinks and expands, if it was brick it would have cracked, but if you stand down stairs on the wooden floors you can see straight through some of the gaps between the planks, locals tell me that sometimes you would see a gap and a month later that gap would be gone! So I am thinking, surely if I can see the sunlight on the GROUND underneath our house, a bug can easily come in. Have taken note of your poison suggestions as a options, wonder which season/month is best to spray? Will probably just take one "incident/invasion" to put the call in to the exterminator. So far we have only had a miggie/fruit fly swarm decend on us after I innocently put a fruit bowl out, they stayed for over a month while we tried everything. My gran's advice of watered down vinegar laced with washing up liquid in a bowl did the trick in the end.........all the buggers drowned! Some people even talk about having to keep your flour in the fridge over here, never use flour myself but wondered if anyone else heard about this?

Rozelle :huh:

I've posted this one already on a different thread, but here it is again. I think it's called a St Andrews Cross. Just after I took this picture, she caught a fly in her web, pretty amazing to see the spidey in action!

Edited by Stix

Yeah, don't worry We R Going, the ones I've seen so far don't look too scary.

And some are really pretty too.

There was a lovely little black one on the back step one day.

Black with a lovely red dot on it....

And its nest of eggs!

I just spray any spider I see, not hanging around to find out if it is poisonous!