Jump to content

Serious Mould Problem in Shower


ta'mossie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone

I know when I was still in SA, a long time ago I read a thread on cleaning bathrooms. I think that thread has expired, and I now desperately need to know from the ladies in Oz:

How do I get red of a serious mould problem in my shower. I see someone wrote about Spot X for water stains. Would this product work for mould as well?

I would appreciate anyone's input thank you

ta'mossie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In BigW, they have an aisle with some interesting variations on cleaners. There should be something there you can use. I think I saw something like Mr Muscle on the shelves. I always found something like the steam butler to work best in a bathroom on the mold, plus no fumes....

Hope you get it sorted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there

Don't waste your money on products like exit-mould, all they are is a mild bleach mixture.

If the mould is on the tile grout or interior of the shower use either the Coles or Woolies own brand thick bleach ( domestos)

At least this will bleach the mould stains.

It is really difficult to get rid of mould, try and increase ventilation in the bathroom, Shannon Lush who does a column in the Sunday Times and is known as the Queen of clean reccomends clove oil to kill the mould spores, you will still have to remove the stain though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No the spot x won't work as its just a rubbing compound. I would recommend what Andrea says, thick bleach left for ten minutes then a nylon brush to scrub and rinse. If its under the silicon used to seal some showers there is really nothing you can do just redo the silicon. I also used a grout cleaner that you get here to clean or the grouting in th bathroom, and it has returned it all to its former glory, just takes a lot of scrubbing, this will probally work on mould stained grouting as well.

Candice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used a very strong solution of bleach 2parts to 1 part water and have never had a problem with the mould again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ditto the thick bleach. And try to leave the bathroom window open when you're done showering, no matter how cold it is!

zorba

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use a product called "Exit Mould". It is very efficient and obtainable by any supermarket.

For serious problems it is reccomended that you spray affected areas throroughly and leave it for about 30 - 40 minutes, after which the mould has either disappeared or you can wipe it off with a damp cloth.

Hope this helps,

Dax

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone

I know when I was still in SA, a long time ago I read a thread on cleaning bathrooms. I think that thread has expired, and I now desperately need to know from the ladies in Oz:

How do I get red of a serious mould problem in my shower. I see someone wrote about Spot X for water stains. Would this product work for mould as well?

I would appreciate anyone's input thank you

ta'mossie

Hi

"Exit Mould" works like a dream. Have used the product in Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide - not an urban legend. Tried many other products but nothing worked as well as "Exit Mould". :o

Enjoy!

Manny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know when I was still in SA, a long time ago I read a thread on cleaning bathrooms. I think that thread has expired, and I now desperately need to know from the ladies in Oz:

Might have been this thread....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My husband is a plumber in RSA, clients get him frequently to clean there showers. He normally pours pool acid (HCl) on the shower floor (if tiles, not those pre-moulded shower floors), wait a few minutes then scrub with a hard brush (use a mask over you nose and mouth, goggles and rubber gloves as it is a bit caustic). Just scrub for a few minutes, should work then. Rinse with a lot of water. Watch out while your scrubbing though as the acid might get warm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to all the advice given here, I went and bought some EXIT MOULD spray at Woolies.

I sprayed the shower tiles just before we went to bed, and in the morning VOILA! I have a sparkling, beautifully clean shower! No scrubbing, wiping, elbow grease, NADA!

This stuff is amazing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have tried EVERYTHING !!! And found that Woolies brand Domestos works the best... just squirt it on the tiles and all areas with mould and leave... later on you just rinse the area... and it is all done and gone !!!

Leza

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi again

As self appointed Queen of frugality- don't waste your money on exit mould.

I have double checked the ingredients on-line and it is just bleach and has the same composite as Coles smart buy domestic cleaner or the Woolies brand thick bleach and they are less than half the price.

Also compare the Coles own brand mould killer- same ingredients-half the price.

One product I am prepared to pay extra for is Citro clean- multi purpouse cleaner.

Try using this on your benchtops and your kitchen smells like oranges- it removes sticky marks from windscreens- you know the gunk that is left when you remove your rego sticker?

And a squirt into your floor washing bucket is great too.

I see Coles have brought out their version too, so will be checking the ingredients.

Other products worth a mention:

Morning Fresh washing up liquid- I like this best

Jif cream- the handy andy here is not the same

Gumption- Great for polishing up your laundry trough- similar to the stuff in the pink tub in RSA, Chemco I think is the name.

I also tend to use a fair bit of vinegar and bi-carb around the home- vinegar is great in the final rinse for windows.

And I could not live without essential oils such as lavendar, tea-tree etc, so many uses and help to cover up the odours of my smelly kids!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mmmm, seems our closet librarian is coming out of hiding...LOL!! :whome:

Thanks for the tips, AndreaL....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tea tree oil is great for cleaning the kids desks (if your kids are at a school where they send them home for you to clean) and also works on most clothing stains. It's fantastic on sticky labels - like those ugly energy rating stickers on the front of all the white goods.

Tip for the rego sticker - park the car in the sun, soak a paper towel with water, fold the towel to the size of the sticker and use some clingwrap to fix the towel over the sticker (inside the windscreen, not outside :whome: ) after about an hour the sticker should just peel away without leaving any residue!!

Gumption works well on most hard to move stains, but I prefer to rub in some baking soda and leave it to stand for a while - cleans baking trays and cooker rings a treat. When I was camping with the Girl Guides about a hundred years ago we always covered the exterior of our cooking pots with Chemico (like Gumption) to protect them on the fire. We'd wash the interior of the pots and keep the exterior dry until the end of the camp and then spend a morning scrubbing the Chemico off to reveal perfectly shiny pots!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tea tree oil is great for cleaning the kids desks (if your kids are at a school where they send them home for you to clean) and also works on most clothing stains. It's fantastic on sticky labels - like those ugly energy rating stickers on the front of all the white goods.

Tip for the rego sticker - park the car in the sun, soak a paper towel with water, fold the towel to the size of the sticker and use some clingwrap to fix the towel over the sticker (inside the windscreen, not outside :rolleyes: ) after about an hour the sticker should just peel away without leaving any residue!!

Gumption works well on most hard to move stains, but I prefer to rub in some baking soda and leave it to stand for a while - cleans baking trays and cooker rings a treat. When I was camping with the Girl Guides about a hundred years ago we always covered the exterior of our cooking pots with Chemico (like Gumption) to protect them on the fire. We'd wash the interior of the pots and keep the exterior dry until the end of the camp and then spend a morning scrubbing the Chemico off to reveal perfectly shiny pots!

I'm impressed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Something I have found great here is Easy Off Bam. It works an absolute treat on everything. The Bang stuff in SA never worked for me, but here it is fantastic

:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...