Notice to all importing pets to Australia - NB!!!

Dedrei

Hi

I'm one of the lucky once, my dogs are going into quarantine on the 4th of Feb - Keringa. The problem is that I will be in Australia while they do there time and I need somebody / dry cleaning company to pick up, wash and drop of there blankets

Any ideas?

Quintin

Hi guys & gals

Just found this very important info and thought all of you should know, there is huge, and I mean HUGE backlog at quarantine stations at the moment. They are booked to capacity for the next FEW MONTHS! If you are brining pets over, you need to book at least 5 months in advance now. :lol::lol: This is really serious and I believe Keringa is booked up as well. So best thing is to get your babies in quarantine ASAP.

This is the official notice on www.aqis.gov.au

Hope this gives some insight to some not to leave this for the last minute.

Cheers

Dedrei

"Resident Quarantine Expert"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Parsons Family

• Dedrei

• catherineg

• Marion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, nou wil ek vir julle vra: Gaan ons 2 kindertjies dit oorleef in kwarantyn!?!??!?!? ;)

Dit is 'n baie teer saak vir my en my man - daar was al klaar lang trane gehuil :( ; en ons het nog skaars begin met die proses.

Hi Aneldari

Wil net hoor hoe ver is julle nou al met julle proses. Wat het jy toe gedoen met jou 2 "kinders"?

Ek sit met dieselfde probleem. Ons het 'n Rotweiler, en ja, glo dit as jy wil, sy is ook soos 'n kind in die huis. Slaap by ons in die kamer en partykeer as ma nie kyk nie, slaap sy sommer saam met die kinders in die bed! Dan het ons 'n Yorkie ook - dieselfde storie!

Ek weet nie wie is die ergste oor die honde nie, ek, my man, of die kinders nie!!

Ek weet ook nie wat die ergste gaan wees nie: om hulle agter te los of om hulle vir 7mnde in vreemde mense se hande te los nie????

Help asseblief!!! Gee bietjie raad - enige iemand!

Hi All,

Help Please! I have read through a number of the replies in this post and have been unable to establish whether someone has managed to successfully go through the USA option to get their pets to Aus. We have a number of good homes we could send our mini sausage dog, but I would like to give one last bash at trying to keep the little thing. The kennel and quarantine route would unfortunately damage this little lap dog and we can't afford the costs to go that route.

Anyone able to offer me any advice on going through the USA option?

Many Thanks,

Sean.

My two dogs have just been through the migration process. They spent 6 months at Kookaburra quarantine station in Centurion and are now spending the last month in Sydney. Johan at Kookaburra is wonderful. He loves dogs and my dogs loved him. Kookaburra is a small quarantine station so only a small number of dogs and cats are accomodated. Johan knows everything there is to know about your pet. He is dedicated to the well-being of the dogs, it is not just a job to him. :blink:

In Sydney because my dogs are only held for a month they will not exercise them so I have had to hire someone to walk them. The quarantine station also does not reply to emails enquiring how they are. The dog walker is wonderful and sends me photos and emails of my two children.

I seem to have worried and stressed more about this whole thing than my two dogs did.

Hi Cathrineg

Thank you for your response. It is quite reassuring! Can you please give me more detail on your procedure, like costs, things to do and a few tips. O, and maybe websites or emails if you can.

Thank you

Liggie

Hi Annette (Liggie) :angry:

Weet jy, op die oomblik bly ons 2tjies by "oupa en ouma" in Heidelberg, Gauteng. Ons wil hul nogsteeds oorbring, maar agv 'n paar redes het ons nog nie. Finansies is basies die grootste rede en ook die feit dat ons nog hierdie jaar definitief weer gaan trek (groot ontwrigting). Hul is eintlik sielsgelukkig waar hul nou is, maar ons het planne dat ons ouers en ander familie ook Aus toe kom. Sodra hul oorkom binne die vlg 2 jaar of so, sal ons die honde ook bring (as ons hul nie dalk vroeër laat kom nie).

Dis steeds 'n teer saak en trane vloei nogsteeds :D . Kwarantyn is lank, maar ek dink die honde is sterk en die tyd vlieg baie, baie vinnig. Ons is al amper 'n jaar in Aus, kan dit nie glo nie. As die honde nog baie hup in hul stap het, dink net watter liefde daar nog is om te gee en te ontvang... :blink:

Baie sterkte met jul besluit, dis baie moeilik, maar ek glo jul sal weet wat om te doen op die ou end.

Groete,

Aneldari :blink:

Dankie Aneldari - tyd sal leer! Dit is maar 'n moeilike besluit.

So oor die algemeen: waar bly julle? Hoe vind jy dit daar? Is jy spyt oor jou besluit en hoe is die ozzies se houding oor die suid-afrikaners?

Kookaburra may be emailed at kookaburra@wol.co.za, their telephone number is 012 654-1270. I was able to visit my dogs every week. Sue does all the admin and she books the flights, organises the blood tests etc. They take care of everything, including the ordering of the crates, which is nice because then you don't have to worry about any of that. Their vaccinations must just be up to date before going into quarantine. Johan even organises for a groomer to come in and wash and cut the dogs if they need it.

I am glad I decided to bring my dogs with me. It cost me a small fortune. I had to change jobs to be able to afford it. It generally worked out to be R4000 per dog per month, but that includes their flights to Australia, but excludes the quarantine costs in Australia. That you need to pay there. I sent money to a relative in Australia to pay it for me. You also need an address in Australia that they will be going to. I gave a relatives address.

From the photos my dogs look very happy, they have not stressed or lost weight. If anything they appear to have put on weight. The people workining in the kennels are very loving. I think we have a harder time than they do with the whole move.

Edited by catherineg

Catherine, we are going to look at Kookaburra Saturday. Some people didnt like them, but you were obviously happy. Hope we are too.

hi Jordy, the reasons I went with Kookaburra at the beginning was that is was closer to where I live and they are a lot smaller than Keringa.

Kennels are like everything in life, someone people like one type and others prefer another. My dog use to wait up and not go to bed until Johan made his last round at 10pm and said goodnight to him.

Tell Johan I said hi!

Hi

Isn't it hard to find a place to rent that will allow you to have dogs. We moved to NZ and we find it almost impossible to find a rental that will allow you to have a pet. Is it the same in Oz? I want to get a pet when I can find a rental that will allow me to but I want to move to Oz in a year or two and I don't want to have to give it away....I already gave away my 2 babies when we came here...they were literally puppies.

Thanks

Y

Hi, weer ekke!

Ons 2 worshondjies, is nie enige honde nie - hulle is soos mense (kinders) :whome: . Hulle slaap saam ons innie bed, sit ook aan tafel op 'n stoel as ons eet (eet nou nie van die tafel af nie), wag vir ons by die deur as ons terugkom vannie werk, lê in my arms soos 'n regte babatjie :lol: . Hul is so afhanklik van ons liefde.

Ek moet sê hul was al vir so 'n naweek alleen. Hul kan self in en uit die huis deur 'n opening. Hulle het ook al paar keer by "ouma" gebly.

Ok, nou wil ek vir julle vra: Gaan ons 2 kindertjies dit oorleef in kwarantyn!?!??!?!? :o

Dit is 'n baie teer saak vir my en my man - daar was al klaar lang trane gehuil :( ; en ons het nog skaars begin met die proses.

Ons wil hulle so graag daarhê, maar nie ten koste van hul welstand nie.

Ek sal regtig enige insette waardeer. :whome:

Groete

Aneldari

Hi

We decided to take our Spaniel and Dachshund and leave the Yorkie. We are a little scared that she is too small to survive the process, although the vet said she'll be fine.

It's a hard decision as I am not 100% convinced that they will be fine and it is very expensive. That said that is what will be happening now. We chose Keringa for one reason only and that is that they have space for our dogs 3 months earlier than Kookaburra. They are a bit more expensive, but looking at the total cost it does not make a huge difference.

They will stay here for 3 months and then go to Melbourne for the remaining 4 months. We will already be there when they arrive and my daughter and I will go and visit them and excercise them twice a week as they allow you only 2 visits a week.

We would also need accommodation that allows animals. I am scared for a zillion reasons, but I've decided to take one step at a time and organise one thing at a time. Take a deep breath and let God take over. It WILL work out fine, I'm convinced.

I am already all teary about not seeing my 2 for 3 months (the house will be so quiet without them), and leaving the Yorkie behind.

Alibaba

Hi

We decided to take our Spaniel and Dachshund and leave the Yorkie. We are a little scared that she is too small to survive the process, although the vet said she'll be fine.

It's a hard decision as I am not 100% convinced that they will be fine and it is very expensive. That said that is what will be happening now. We chose Keringa for one reason only and that is that they have space for our dogs 3 months earlier than Kookaburra. They are a bit more expensive, but looking at the total cost it does not make a huge difference.

They will stay here for 3 months and then go to Melbourne for the remaining 4 months. We will already be there when they arrive and my daughter and I will go and visit them and excercise them twice a week as they allow you only 2 visits a week.

We would also need accommodation that allows animals. I am scared for a zillion reasons, but I've decided to take one step at a time and organise one thing at a time. Take a deep breath and let God take over. It WILL work out fine, I'm convinced.

I am already all teary about not seeing my 2 for 3 months (the house will be so quiet without them), and leaving the Yorkie behind.

Alibaba

I feel for you however I would emplore you to please consider taking the Yorkie if you can from a financial side as the trauma the other two will feel will be enormous I think that if the Vet said that the Yorkie will be okay .. then you need to trust that the advise is ok from you Vet .. your dogs WILL BE FINE .. I dont have dogs I have cats however my cat came over to the USA from Brisbane to Sydney and he was fine no problems at all...

I hope Australia works out and this is where you guys want to be, take care

Some places do allow pets when your renting. I just found out I need a reference from my neighbours saying they are model citizen dogs! Have you ever heard such nonsense? I suppose I can understand they dont want vicious dogs moving in and causing havoc by barking all night long though. You will also need to register your dogs with the council when they are released from quarantine. It is cheaper if the dog has been neutered/spayed. You will need a letter from your vet stating the dogs have been fixed. I just requested this now. You will need to bring this letter with you to Oz. The registration is a must for renting a property.

Its amazing all the necessary small things you discover at the last minute. I have my handluggage bag out and as I think of important papers to take I pack them.

Hi,

Ek en my man is in die begin stadium met als om Aus toe te gaan. Soos almal wat hier skryf het ons ook 'n kind (Jack Russel) wat MOET saam.

Weet iemand of daar dalk 'n kennel is in die Kaap? Ons is in Stellenbosch!

Groete

Erne Kuun

If anyone wants to use Dale and Darlene Price in Sydney to exercise and play with their dogs their email address is: danddprice@yahoo.com.au

As I said before Sydney quarantine station do not exercise dogs in kennels with them for only a month. Dale and Darlene charge $25 to walk a dog for half an hour or $30 for two dogs. They take photos of your dogs and send them on. My two look very happy.

...I see them next week as I leave on Sunday. Cant wait! :rolleyes:

Hi almal,

Wil graag weet of iemand al "parrots" oorgeneem het OZ toe. Ons African Grey is "gering" en is nou 10 maande jonk.

Dankie

Melchior

Hi almal,

Wil graag weet of iemand al "parrots" oorgeneem het OZ toe. Ons African Grey is "gering" en is nou 10 maande jonk.

Dankie

Melchior

From what I could find regarding your question, you MAY NOT bring in any type of birds (unless from New Zealand). Sorry about that.

Try read up the DAFF site http://www.aqis.gov.au or http://www.daff.gov.au

From what I could find regarding your question, you MAY NOT bring in any type of birds (unless from New Zealand). Sorry about that.

Try read up the DAFF site http://www.aqis.gov.au or http://www.daff.gov.au

Thanks. Question is, can I import from SA to NZ? Call me an animal lover, but I`ll be willing to move to NZ if that is the case.

Thanks. Question is, can I import from SA to NZ? Call me an animal lover, but I`ll be willing to move to NZ if that is the case.

Anybody? Cant leave this baby in SA!

Hi Melchior

Here is a link to the NZ website, I could not find anything about birds, I suggest you use the address on the right hand side of the screen to write to them and pose your question to them.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/commercial-...ts/introduction

Just a thought, did you contact any of the pet migration people here like Keringa to ask them if they have ever arranged for a parrot to go to Australia? Because if they have they would then be able to advise you how to go about it as they would know all the offiicals in Oz/NZ etc

Hi

1. Do these various kennels cater for dogs like Yorkies? I have a six month old Yorkie.

If you don't know yorkies, Yorkies dont stay in kennels they stay at a yorkie motel if we go away and can not take them along.

2. Untill we can buy a property we will be renting and how many places is pet friendly "welcome pets"

3. What is the regulation on the beaches regarding dogs?

4. What is the regulations regarding birds?

I am the owner of 2 x Cats 1x labrador 1x Yorkie

There are only two quarentine facilities in South Africa. One of them has a website - Keringa. Have a look at it.

You may not import birds into Australia.

Your 2 x Cats 1x labrador 1x Yorkie will costs you about R4000 each per month times 7 months = R112000