Notice to all importing pets to Australia - NB!!!

Dedrei

It is not really quicker to move your pets to the UK or USA first as the "animal" must have lived in the country for at least 6 months before leaving for Australia and the quarantine period is then 1 month in Australia. This is cheaper if you have someone overseas prepared to look after your pets....for the 6 months which they will have to spend in their country.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Parsons Family

• Dedrei

• catherineg

• Marion

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey All, just poppin' in to share some awesome news, I'm just busting inside to tell everyone that I see or speak to!!

We get to fetch our babies at the Airport on Monday afternoon, so that means just 3 more sleeps till we are reunited with them again.

It's been 6 weeks since our last visit to them in Melbourne, so it's going to be absolutely amazing, not just seeing them again, but knowing that they are finished their quaratine and get to share our bed and couch with us again and be apart of the family!! WOHHOOOOO!!

It's been a long 7 months but at this point, it all seems worth it. The days of pining for them and missing the laughter they bring with their little quirks, it's all worth it to be able to see them and have them home again soon.

For those of you that have your doggies back, you know how I'm feeling. For those of you that are still waiting - hang in there, you'll have good days and bad days, but pull through it!! It's worth it!!

Let's hope the AQIS open a Brisbane-based quarantine station so emigrants living in Brizzy have it easier for visits, etc. It's been tough for us, but we've been lucky to be able to visit them once a month, which has definately helped.

Take care everyone!!

Marion

I know exactly how you are feeling, we picked up our girls on Wednesday.... it has been great having them home.

Keep counting those sleeps, they will fly by :P

Remember to post some pics of your babies so we can share your reunion.

Wishing you and your babies a fabulous home coming. ;)

Cheers

Gaille

Edited by The Parsons Family

Marion

I know exactly how you are feeling, we picked up our girls on Wednesday.... it has been great having them home.

Keep counting those sleeps, they will fly by :P

Remember to post some pics of your babies so we can share your reunion.

Wishing you and your babies a fabulous home coming. ;)

Cheers

Gaille

I wish I was you guys. my 2 babies are goining in to karinga on wednesday the 6th. I keep on crying and shouldn't because it upset them. I wish I can put myself to sleep for 7 months!!!!!

Hi

Its hard to leave them at Keringa, I sobbed as we drove away in the pouring rain. The staff there will look after them, just make sure they take their blood ASAP, because they only start counting the days from the time blood is drawn.

The time does pass quite quickly although at times it seems to drag......

Good luck, I will be thinking of you on the 6th :P

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I was you guys. my 2 babies are goining in to karinga on wednesday the 6th. I keep on crying and shouldn't because it upset them. I wish I can put myself to sleep for 7 months!!!!!

Hey Henriette

Gaille is right, time does fly by incredibly fast. You will be so busy sorting our things for your move - selling house, resigning, tying up bank accounts, pensions, etc etc. And when you arrive here, you'll be so busy settling in and looking for a place to stay, work, etc etc. Just hang in there - the first 3 weeks were the worst for me. Thereafter it got better. I just bombarded Colin with calls telling him how much I miss them, and he totally comforted me and gave them extra cuddles from us. He is great at making you feel totally normal for missing an animal and just has a way at calming you down. If you can visit, that is also good, that way they see you are still there for them - the time between visits is just slightly longer now.

Congrats on your babies return, Gaille - feels great!!!

Well, Jake and Roxy are doing great at home. We fetched them from the airport and it was like sooooo surreal. We got them settled in at home and took them for a nice run in the park and walk around the neighbourhood. We both had Tuesday off so we took them down to a Doggie Friendly beach called Tallebudgera on the Gold Coast. We had SUCH a blast in the waves and sand. We had a picnic complete with JC Le Roux bought at Springbok Foods :-) We spent about 3 hours on the beach and took some awesome pics of the dogs. (see attached) The first few nights they were a little restless and going to investigate every little sound, but now they are well and truly settled in to their new home and it's great to have the bed taken over by two 25kg "lap" dogs again. They have been enjoying daily walks around the parks and neighbourhood. Great thing about Aus is that they have awesome pathways and parks which makes dog walking so much easier - you dont have to battle the traffic on the roads or dongas as you walk. Also, it's 100% safe walking around here at night - which is of course SUPER!!

Take care everyone!!

post-1523-1181632310.jpg

post-1523-1181632355.jpg

YAY

I am so happy for you, Marion. Your babies look so HAPPY!!!

My girls are loving being with us, my jack russell only ever smiled at my mum, but now we get smiles nearly every time we say her name :lol:

Mine still haven't got this walking thing sorted (they haven't been taken for a proper walk for over a year :D ), but we will persevere.

Do you find Jake and Roxy are a lot calmer?

Cheers

Gaille

• 2 weeks later...
YAY

My girls are loving being with us, my jack russell only ever smiled at my mum, but now we get smiles nearly every time we say her name :jester:

Mine still haven't got this walking thing sorted (they haven't been taken for a proper walk for over a year :o ), but we will persevere.

Cheers

Gaille

YAY

My girls are loving being with us, my jack russell only ever smiled at my mum, but now we get smiles nearly every time we say her name :holy:

Mine still haven't got this walking thing sorted (they haven't been taken for a proper walk for over a year :o ), but we will persevere.

Cheers

Gaille

Hey Gaille

That is great to hear it. "Smiling" dogs are the sweetest thing ever!! Their happiness just makes you that much more happier (is that grammatically correct even? - ba ha)

Sheesh, we wouldnt dare not take our two out for a walk at least every second day - they just wreak havoc on our garden and start bouncing off the walls. :lol:

Hmmm ... not really calmer. They still very much active and crazy most of the time. Roxy's our "special child", she never runs out of steam and is always up for a game, especially the "let's-attack-mom's-shoes-while-she-is-carrying-something-breakable-and-watch-dad-scramble-to-catch-her-before-everything-comes-crashing-down" game - hee hee.

Guess they are the same as they were back home really. They have learned to walk on their leads a lot better cos it's either refrain from pulling mommy's arms out of it's sockets or no walkies!!

Did you find yours calmer? Do you think it was quarantine? Maybe they just aged while away from you and now are more "mature" and maybe not as boystrous?

Hi

Our girls are just more relaxed, they don't bark at every sound and once they fall asleep a bomb would have to literally go off to get them to go and investigate the noise... We reckon it is because we are so much calmer and not worried that every noise is a :holy: .

Taking them walking in Midrand was just not an option (heard and saw too much) so they got used to not being walked, sad but true. They are walking a lot better already (thank goodness) but they are so desperate to explore by themselves.

Nicci has taken to digging :o , something she hasn't done since she was a puppy so we have had to lay down the law, which makes me feel sooooo guilty, after all its my fault she is looking for extra attention...I abandoned her for SEVEN months :lol:

Can't wait to get home for one of Jodi's goofy smiles

Gaille

Hi Marion & Gaille

To tell you the truth, my boy, Leo, is just as full of engergy and boystrous as he was before. He was about 18months old when he went into quarantine and he's as mal as ever.

Also have to try and walk these of mine everyday, otherwise they also get destructive and start bouncing off the walls :holy: One thing about beagles is that you have to keep them stimulated otherwise you will have Kimberley's Gat in your backyard.

One thing that I am struggling though at the moment, which I didn't have a problem before, is that they are shedding like crazy. It's winter, but they are still shedding. Not sure if their bodies haven't adjusted to the weather up here or what, but it is driving me up the walls at the moment. Ordered myself the Furminator, so will see how it goes.

Cheers & happy walkies

x

Hi

Don't get me wrong mine are still HYPERACTIVE, they just seem to not be stressed about all the noises (we are in a new area, so there is lots of building going on). in SA they would have been barking and going a little bit (who am I kidding - ALOT) mad.

The walking thing is still a challenge as they yank on us. It is quite embarassing to be pulled about by an 8kg Jack Russell although it must be hysterical to watch :lol:

One more hour and then I get to go fill the holes that were dug today :holy: , I love her dearly but this is going to be unpleasant when we have a rental inspection :o

Happy walking

Gaille

Hi

I went to visit my 2 in keringa. Only 191 days to go...

anyway, We went for the visit over lunch hour- big mistake. They were very happy to see us and gave us all the attention they thought we needed, but once they heard the food being distributed, they made it VERY clear that we outstayed our welcome and that there are more important things in their lives...

I miss them but they are happy and gained some weight. cant wait to have them with me on the beach!

Enyoy your walkies...Ps what was your dogs first reaction to the beach? What did they do?

Regards

henriette

• 2 months later...

Haai almal

Ek en manlief ook in die prosesse besig om in ons laaste SA kontrakjaar al die papierwerk agtermekaar te kry - nou wil ek vra;

Ek sien Pippa het lykmy amper 'n jaar voor die tyd haar honde kinders geboek vir kwarantyn - nou hou nou gemaak? ;)

Ek weet ons poog om volgende jaar die tyd (Aug - Des 2008) ons opwagting in Aus te maak, maar natuurlik weet ons nog nie waar ons sal werk kry nie, ens ens. En die tydsberekening is ook bietjie moeilik - sê nou ons sukkel maaaaaande om werk te kry? (Man is chemiese ingenieur - ons kan maar net hoop en bid dis gou) Nou hoe op aarde gaan ek weet wanner om vir Kattermanner te boek vir kwarantyn? :ilikeit:

Het iemand raad?

Thanks almal - dankie vir al die raad.....

Hi daar almal!!

Ek het die vragie gepost op Deirdre se site ivm die oorvol kwarantyn plekke in Aus maar ek dink dis dalk 'n bietjie van 'n ou thread - ek dink nie enigiemand kom daar nie - OF dalk weet niemand wat om te "advise" nie want sien - ek het nou weer EEN VAN DAAI vrae wat 'n kristalbal vereis, of net doodeenvoudig toekomskennis!! :)

My vraag:

Ek sien op bg thread daar is 'n ander lid van die forum wat haar honde laasjaar die tyd geboek het om by een van die kwarantynsentrums opgeneem te word, vir die jaar. So dis 'n jaar voor die tyd?? :blink:

Nou wil ek weet: Ons beplan ons rondom hierdie tyd volgende jaar ons by almal in Aus te kom aansluit - maar obviously is die tyd eers bepaalbaar rondom die tyd wat ons 'n werksaanbod kry - ons sal poog om op 'n 457 land te in, maar benodig natuurlik 'n aanbod.

Nou weet ek nie of ek nou moet boek, en hoop vir die beste, of moet ek los en later boek nie? Dit kan seker enige kant toe gaan - dit kan dalk MAANDE vat om werk te kry, of dit kan onmiddelik wees?? (Manlief is Chemiese Ingenieur - enige idees??)

Kan iemand help met raad?? Kattermanner kan nie hier bly nie - hy sal dood en ek daarmee saam! Hoe gemaak?? :)

If you want to book your animals into Kookaburra then you'll need to plan this about four to six months in advance, if you're going through Keringa (more expensive option) then you can usually get your pets in within two months of enquiry. Don't panic about booking a year in advance, at this stage that's totally unnecessary!

Why don't you contact both companies, ask for a quote and then find out from them what their bookings are like for your proposed dates?

Good luck

Cindylou

(2 dogs and 3 cats currently in quarantine!)

If you want to book your animals into Kookaburra then you'll need to plan this about four to six months in advance, if you're going through Keringa (more expensive option) then you can usually get your pets in within two months of enquiry. Don't panic about booking a year in advance, at this stage that's totally unnecessary!

Why don't you contact both companies, ask for a quote and then find out from them what their bookings are like for your proposed dates?

Good luck

Cindylou

(2 dogs and 3 cats currently in quarantine!)

Does anyone have the contact details for Kookaburra Kennels?

Sorry - this is showing my ignorance - but "near what" big cities are these two kennels located?? :wacko:

Our story is a bit complicated - living in Middle East now, then back to SA for two months pre-immigration and then over to Aus. Trying to arrange so that cattie can go from here - only 60 days in quarantine from here, opposed to 120 total days from SA.

What I'll do is to book him and fly him from here, and have my sister "look after" getting him booked in, and visit him, and me pick him up after our arrival in that 60 days. (Talk about logistics....) B)

Sister is in Queensland - Bundaberg....

What would be nearest??

Thanks for the help guys - really appreciate it! :lol:

HAHA - I wish they only had to stay 120 days in quarantine! Unfortunatly the period is 210 days, minimum of 3 months in SA and one month in Aus, the other 3 months can be spent in either of the countries. We've gone the 6 months SA and one month Aus route and our animals went into Q on 15 Aug and are due out in March!

Anyway, back to your question: there are three stations in Australia: Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. I would suggest you check out the information on the AQIS website for more information regarding permits and bookings etc.

C'Lou

• 2 months later...

Has anyone calculated the total cost of kennels and the flights? We have a small cog and a cat, but finances might force us to leave them here.

I did my own calculations and it is very expencive, more than my whole family's flights to Aus, do not know if I misread the info.

Edited by Seeya

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

We're trying to find a way to avoid the whole seven-month quarantine for our cats. I've heard some forumites send their pets to the US, where they have to stay for six months (but at someone's home, not quarantine kennels), then they have a month or 0 quarantine on the Australian side. We can't do the States, but we could send our pets to the UK.

I've been reading up and it looks like there are vaccinations that must be done and blood tests, but no actual quarantine station time involved in SA. Once they have been cleared this side (SA), then it doesn't sound like they have to stay in quarantine stations in the UK either. From there if we move them to Australia after six months in the UK there shouldn't be any quarantine time on the Australia side.

Has anyone sent their pets to the UK and gone on to Australia, who can confirm that?

Thanks

Abby (& Tim)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

I went to visit my 2 in keringa. Only 191 days to go...

anyway, We went for the visit over lunch hour- big mistake. They were very happy to see us and gave us all the attention they thought we needed, but once they heard the food being distributed, they made it VERY clear that we outstayed our welcome and that there are more important things in their lives...

I miss them but they are happy and gained some weight. cant wait to have them with me on the beach!

Enyoy your walkies...Ps what was your dogs first reaction to the beach? What did they do?

Regards

henriette

NOG NET 2 slapies oor!!!!!!

FINALLY!!

In a few days you can sit and listen to the pitter patter of little paws :ilikeit:

Enjoy your long-awaited reunion! :jester: