Planning a move to Aus too

kobus2

howdy people

We, as a family, made the decision to look for opportunities in Aus too. I have had two promising interviews in the last few weeks (but have not heard anything back yet).

I am in the agriculture/forest industry. I am prepared to move for a lower position, and work my way up from there. Opportunities in forestry seems to be pretty good.

Would a salary of around $65 000 be enough to survive for a family of 4 if my wife does not work. Could one afford to buy a small house in a rural area with this pay?

sorry for the long introduction.

It is good to have found this forum - looking forward to "meet" you guys.

Kobus

Edited by kobus2

Kobus, Welcome to the forum. It is all of us' support system. I can't answer your questions as we are only leaving in December, but all the best!

dankie

voorspoed met julle reelings.

Three of my colleagues leave in Jan, for Tasmania... I am somehow more drawn to the main land. Maybe I am worried about the weather in Tasmania, lol.

Kobus,

$65 000 will keep you as a family of four, especially in the countryside of Australia where land to build is a lot cheaper than near the big cities.

Tasmania is a great place to live, but you'll find Tasmanians are a pretty clicky group of folk and it may take a while to get to know many of them.

The weather there isn't too bad. I lived there for 13 years and enjoyed it . . . one of the best times of my life.

The other states of Australia have their own charm and appeal.

There are lots of forestry in Victoria and Western Australia and living in country towns is great, I reckon.

I wish you luck.

thnx Bob

I am hoping to gain employment near a town called Albany in Western Aus.

Dear Kobus

Welcome to the forum.

On $65K you should not have a problem , living in Albany. There are a few forum members there already, I am sure they will be able to give you more specific info. I envy you, Albany is such a beautiful town, with beautiful surrounding areas.

Good luck with your job offers.

Regards

Enrica

Ek moet sê dis lekker om so baie Afrikaanse mense op hierdie forum te sien.

Julle sal nog baie vrae van my kry oor die volgende maande, lol. Tans hou ek maar duim vas om iets ordentlik te kan kry - mens kan ook altyd as mens eers in Aus is vir ander werk soek.

Come to TASMANIA, ITS REALLY BEAUTIFUL HERE, NO POLLUTION AND VERY LITTLE STRESS.

The people are quite hard to make friends with, they are friendly but dont want to be your friend, but I have managed to make a few local friends and of course the south african contingent is one big family...I always feel like a Voortrekker when I'm with the group..its almost like we have overcome the drakensburg mountains (diac) and are now safe on other side..but I have a wild imagination...

On 65k you can lead a pretty good life here, average rental of three/four bedroom house if under two hundred a week, and elec about 50. Basic costs like food are also cheaper, but obviosuly there is not a wide range of stuff in some of the samller towns...

You can buy what they call a hobby farm, we call them snmallholdings or a plot, approx 30acres, for just over three hundred thousand..thats with house and all outbuildings, dam, river, and a few sheep and a horse or two thrown in....that si our dream and we watch teh marked avidly, waiting for teh prices to drop so we can buy as soon as we get pr...you also get first time home owners grants which are a big help

it is cold here, we come from durban, so struggled a bit, but the houses are built for the weather..no worries...THE AIR IS CRISP AND CLEAR AND THE SUN SHINES ON YOU AT A DIFFERENT ANGLE, GIVING YOU A DIFFREENT PERSEPECTIVE ON THINGS....AND WE GET 16 SEASONS IN ONE DAY....hows that for a bargain

good bargain? lol

The videos I have seen of Tasmania really impressed me. Beautiful place.

Hallo Kobus.

Ons bly so 65km uit Albany uit, Noorde se kant toe. Ons ry verby al die plantasies. Albany is baie mooi. En hier is baie SAners. Dokter en Tandarts. Die weer is baie soos Kaapstad. Wel Sabie is baie mooi. Ek is in Lydenburg gebore.

Hoop jy kom reg met werk hier!! nog SAners is altyd welkom.

Jacqueline

dankie Jacqueline

Its good to have an idea of what the places one might move to looks like from the "other side".

Welcome to the forum Kobus2.

If I had the opportunity (and boy did we try) to go to Tas, nothing would stop me. A little slice of heaven on earth !!!

All the best with your plans.

Well, Kobus, it looks like you've landed on your feet, mate, by selecting Albany in W.A. or Tasmania.

Both are great places to dwell and bring kids up in, climate cool but sunny compared to South Africa.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not come right in Albany or Tasmania.

However, I confirmed yesterday that I have a job in NSW - Tumut. Pay in the low 70K bracket. Forestry NSW.

We are very excited about starting all the preparations, etc.

Anybody here got experience/friends etc living in this area?

I have not come right in Albany or Tasmania.

However, I confirmed yesterday that I have a job in NSW - Tumut. Pay in the low 70K bracket. Forestry NSW.

We are very excited about starting all the preparations, etc.

Anybody here got experience/friends etc living in this area?

Congratulations on securing a job! No idea about the area, but the remuneration sounds good!

A

Congratulations on the job offer!! and it's a bit more than you were expecting so that's another bonus!!! good luck!!

thnx guys.

What is the sponsored visa, with permanent residency called?

visa 15?

Am I right that I need to ask my sponsor for this visa? or will it just be the logical category?

Hallo Kobus

Ek dink jy praat vd RSMS 119. Ons is nou besig met ons s'n. Bly saam met jou oor jou ' job'.

Groete

Karoo - familie

Welkom

Ek is in South Australia, nie juis plantasie wereld nie, South Oz is bekend as die "droogste staat in die droogste land ter wereld", maar alles van die beste met julle planne.

Dax

• 1 month later...

my prospective employer suggests a 175 visa. any opinions on this route as a good choice in general?

I looked at the visa wizard online - and they list 175 as independant skilled visa, and 176 as skilled sponsored visa for what I intend to do (live and work in Aus permanently with a job on the skills list)

Seems I need to go the sponsored route (my prospective employer is a state agency) and should get "better treatment" this way (maybe). Or are the two options basically the same (except for the points 120 vs 100)

Any advice appreciated.

I have learned much from reading on this forum....

Edited by kobus2

Hi Kobus,

Not sure of the circumstances, but I think a 175 will take a lot longer so are you going on a 457 to start? Otherwise from my experience, if your town falls into a "Regional Location" i.e. not one of the main towns or cities, then you could go on a RSMS Sub-class 119 visa which is a PR but takes a lot quicker (We got ours in 3 weeks). You can find out these area codes which do benefit from the immigration government website.

If your new employer is willing to wait whilst you do the 175, then great but please remember that you do not qualify for benefits if you go on a 457 i.e. you will still need to pay for medical aid and school fees (you may get an exemption but there is paperwork involved for the school fees), and you will not qualify for the Family Benefits!

Wow - who knew 6 months ago that I would become such a fountain of knowledge on immigration....(ha, ha, ha)

Please feel free to ask any questions on the sub-class 119 as that was what we are going on.

Liesl

Wow - who knew 6 months ago that I would become such a fountain of knowledge on immigration....(ha, ha, ha)

Liesl

Remember when you were too scared to post, Liesl!! :)

:blink::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: