Help! Halloween??

polly

Is it done here? Is it a big thing like in the USA? Am I supposed to have sweets, etc. for kids coming to the door and am I supposed to dress my kids up?

And when is Halloween? It ain't quite my thing, but I don't want my kids left out.

Hi Polly

It is up to you if you wish to have your kids participate. We usually try to ensure that we have some sweets, because we definitely have the kids in the street knocking on our door!

Hi

It is not as big as in USA. Because we never had it in SA, my girls enjoyed their first ever halloween last year. We got them some cheap costumes and lolly bags and walked with them. We are in a very small town so most of the poeple had some lollys (sweets) ready. You do get the people that are rude (spelling) when the kids knock also. But they really enjoyed it and we are doing it again this year. I got some decorations for the house last year which I never put up so this year we will do that an I will, unlike last year when I walked with them, stay at home and hand out some lollies for the scary kid of the neighbouthood. If you do decide to do halloween, make sure that you walk with the kids, thare are some nasty people here as well.

Enjoy a scary night out with the kids, it is great fun.

Polly,

Please let us know about your halloween experience in Oz. We are going off to the brightwater commons in Randburg with our two kids next friday. They are having a huge event - magic show, circus show and fire show. Went and bought the kids costumes and trick or treat baskets today. I think it is such great fun!

Al

This is an entirely American thing that kids most probably got off the TV or films.

It never used to be an Australian thing, anymore than celebrating the 4th of July.

We (Australians) have never done it.

I wouldn't have a clue what to do or what they get up to, since I've never had anything to do with a Halloween party, nor have any kids that I know done so.

So . . . . to me, it's all American and just something that Australians pretending to be Americans are getting up to.

Thanks ") Will find out what the rest of the kids in the neighbourhood are doing too, but seems I have to prepare for costumes... At least I know where Spotlight is now so I can go buy fabric for cloaks.

Halloween is a modernized version of an old Pagan holy day called Samhain - still celebrated by Pagans as one of the major Sabbats.

Trick or treat games, jack o' lanterns, dressing up in pointy hats and spooky outfits makes up part of the fun that can be had by all on Halloween.

In Mexico, the day is celebrated with chocolates, reminding us that there is also a beauty (sweetness) associated with death.

In Northern hemisphere Halloween is celebrated on 31 Oct, in Southern hemisphere at the end of April, as the Sabbats are a celebration of the wheel of the year which is seasonal. Samhain (Halloween) is a winter celebration when the veil is said to be at its thinnest between the world of the living and the world of spirits. It is also a time of introspection, just as the seed lies dormant in Mother Earth during the winter months gathering strength to sprout again in Spring.

So one of the moms in the street organised a group outing for tonight at 9 pm since the sun only goes down around that time. It looks like we will give sweets (lollies they call it here) to the houses we will be knocking at. So no-one is out of pocket (except us). Will let you know how it goes.

One son is going as a jedi and the other as a sorcerer. Making hooded capes (not cloaks) for both. The one cape is from crushed velvet and the other black satin (all my left-over fabric :boxing:) Made pouches from brown felt to hold the sweets. They are wearing their karate kit underneath since I figured it looks the part. Got cord as a belt for the sorcerer and cut brown felt as a belt for the jedi. Just got to sew on a holder for the jedi sword.

Oh, and I cheat. I don't like taking the time to sew curves, so I have started using satin bias binding to edge the capes. Much easier and quicker and looks fancy ;):D Will post pics before we go.

Edited by polly

So one of the moms in the street organised a group outing for tonight at 9 pm since the sun only goes down around that time. It looks like we will give sweets (lollies they call it here) to the houses we will be knocking at. So no-one is out of pocket (except us). Will let you know how it goes.

One son is going as a jedi and the other as a sorcerer. Making hooded capes (not cloaks) for both. The one cape is from crushed velvet and the other black satin (all my left-over fabric ;)) Made pouches from brown felt to hold the sweets. They are wearing their karate kit underneath since I figured it looks the part. Got cord as a belt for the sorcerer and cut brown felt as a belt for the jedi. Just got to sew on a holder for the jedi sword.

Oh, and I cheat. I don't like taking the time to sew curves, so I have started using satin bias binding to edge the capes. Much easier and quicker and looks fancy ;):D Will post pics before we go.

Kewl beans!!! I hope everyone has loads of fun!

Happy Halloween everyone!!! :boxing:;):D

Hi All

It is a US custom., but dependng on where you are in Aus it is becoming a bigger thing especially now that the retailers have cottoned on to another idea of making money. It was easy for us - we live on an estate with about 600houses - didnt quite get to visit all 600, I am sure the kids would have liked to - all those lollies :whome:

We have been doing oit now for 4years and we go out with the kids - this year we got together with 2 other families and had 8 kids in totsl going from house to house and trick or treating and singing:

"Trick or treat, smell my feet .....something about give me treat, if you dont I dont care, I will give you a scary stare " - somethig to that affect.

All the houses except a few enjoyed it and had a few lollies to hand out. Fortunately nobody was rude or anything - had a few who were not interested and they were upfront and just sad " we dont celebrate or participate in that past time" and we moved on

Everone had a blast - will load some pics of the terrible 8 once I have downloaded them

Rgds

Matman

This is an entirely American thing that kids most probably got off the TV or films.

It never used to be an Australian thing, anymore than celebrating the 4th of July.

We (Australians) have never done it.

I wouldn't have a clue what to do or what they get up to, since I've never had anything to do with a Halloween party, nor have any kids that I know done so.

So . . . . to me, it's all American and just something that Australians pretending to be Americans are getting up to.

GREAT! so I can just ignore these stupid idiots in their satanic clothes. I am an immigrant, so I can just say - "sorry we dont do that where I come from."

It's a creepy tradition that I will not teach my kids.

And as usual with the Americanisation of the World........ Halloween seems to be cottoning on in SA.... CNA, Cardies etc.... all have Halloween costumes etc....And some of the shopping malls have Halloween decorations.... Like WTF!!!!

The only thing is we dont have kids walking around the neighbourhood for obvious reasons... It wont be long until criminals use Trick or Treating to empty the house out....So in SA beware.... dont open your door for strangers...

It is a new country with different habits, traditions, etc. I want to make the transition as easy as possible for my kids. I want to help them feel like they belong. This way they got to dress up (which kids love), they got to meet the neighbours under positive circumstances (neighbours giving sweets- don't get more positive than that) and they fit in a bit more with the kids of the neighbourhood. When they go to school next week they will be able to join in the discussions.

My kids have no idea about the background of Halloween, the traditions or what it simbolises. All they know is they get to dress up and get sweets. All they need to know. I will make it as easy as I can for them to adjust and fit in. This way they are learning that the neighbours aren't as much to be feared as in SA. My kids had a ball. Now they got to see why we left SA. They know we could never do that there. We are making good, positive memories.

And thank you for the offensive comment about kids in satanic clothes. Nice to know you brought your tact with you to Aus.

And thank you for the offensive comment about kids in satanic clothes. Nice to know you brought your tact with you to Aus.

Maybe you didnt read Bob's post? It's not an Aussie tradition, it's an American one, and many americans do not participate in it due to the obvious connections it has with witchcraft and satanism. The South African "thing" is to always worry what other people think of you.

I think you misunderstood my original question. It was if people in the Melbourne area participate in trick or treating. I couldn't be bothered what people think of me, but call anyone's kids wearing a costume satanistic and they would probably feel like me: "Ek sal jou bliksem as jy hulle te na kom." I will not discuss this topic further.

Edited by polly

I think you misunderstood my original question. It was if people in the Melbourne area participate in trick or treating. I couldn't be bothered what people think of me, but call anyone's kids wearing a costume satanistic and they would probably feel like me: "Ek sal jou bliksem as jy hulle te na kom." I will not discuss this topic further.

I quote: "nice to know you brought your tact with you"

You all stand to correction..............the orgins of Halloween are deeply inbedded ancient Irish/Celtic Traditions.

Which of course have been commercialized by the Yanks.

The same as Chritsmas, these traditions have all been commercialzed.

Please read as follows.

http://www.history.com/minisites/halloween...Page?pageId=713

The Catholics celebrate Old Saints day, The Mexicans celebrate el Dia des meurtos .......so please dont call these traditions satanistic!!!!

So if Halloween is a satanic tradition , then surely you would catogorise Xmas in the same light, simply because its commercialzed.

If the kids are having fun, so be it....they certainly could not go knocking from door to door in SA....have fun kids and parents that participate. If you dont like

the freddom are able to have, just dont participate.

Regards

Enrica

Polly, I have been following this post of yours and was expecting someone to react like this.

I saw posters all over town on lamp posts last week saying "Jesus HAAT Halloween". Ek was nogals verbaas en het gewonder waar dit vandaan kom? Vir een, die Jesus wat ek ken "haat" nie. Wou eers op die forum vra, maar was nie lus om aangeval te word nie. Het dit toe ook gaan opsoek en gekyk of dit sin maak, maar het toe dieselfde gevind wat Enrica nou stel oor die geskiedenis van Halloween. Ek het die onderstaande van About.com gekry. Daar is baie sites wat ook praat daaroor dat Halloween satanisties is, maar dit lyk nie een vir my na 'n regte "geskiedkundige" site nie.

http://altreligion.about.com/library/weekly/aa052003a.htm

"Most Satanists do not celebrate or commemorate holidays other than their own date of birth. Ritual Satanists often recognize traditional observances such as the Solstices and Equinoxes. Evangelical scare books will often list dozens of supposed "Satanic High holidays" that exist nowhere but in their own fertile imaginations. Some of these include Halloween,* Christmas eve, and other random calendar dates. Many supposed "Satanic holidays" are in fact taken from Catholic liturgical calendars by biased individuals, or based on very old rumors of "black masses.'"

Ek dink mense moet ERNSTIG begin dink voor hulle net by posts inspring en iets stel soos dat mense hulle kinders aan satanistiese goed laat deelneem. Soos al hoeveel keer gese is, as jy nie positief kan bydrae tot 'n post nie, bly eerder uit as om onnodig argumente te veroorsaak. Geen mens sal daarvan hou dat so iets op hulle geinsinieer word nie!

I had the delightful experience of an American Halloween in 2001. It was such fun. All the kids seemed to have an absolute ball dressing up and going around. My sister-in-law's mom had a basket at the door with little bags of sweets for the kids that came around.

In the shopping centres, I saw lots of kids in costume with their parents. In fact, I saw a whole family dressed up - Kanga and Eeyore and Winnie the Pooh and Tigger. They seemed to enjoy it.

During the evening, we went to a Alpha group session at my brother's church. The kids were dressed up and had their own gathering in the basement while the adults had their Alpha session. They were simply requested to not wear anything that could be interpreted the wrong way. Some were dressed as hamburgers, fairies, can't remember them all. After the session, the kids had a fancy dress parade for the adults and got prizes.

If done correctly, it is a positive experience. I think it should be up to the parents to teach the children that it is just a fun thing. And to have the manners to say thank you for the sweets given. If you don't want to celebrate Halloween it is your own prerogative. Perhaps you would like to skip Christmas too as it was originally a pagan festival??............... :)

Forgot to say -

It is an American tradition and not an Australian or South African tradition at all. We don't have to take on all things American. So if you don't want to take part, don't do so! But if others want to take part, let them enjoy themselves. Don't spoil it for them.

I had the delightful experience of an American Halloween in 2001. It was such fun. All the kids seemed to have an absolute ball dressing up and going around. My sister-in-law's mom had a basket at the door with little bags of sweets for the kids that came around.

In the shopping centres, I saw lots of kids in costume with their parents. In fact, I saw a whole family dressed up - Kanga and Eeyore and Winnie the Pooh and Tigger. They seemed to enjoy it.

During the evening, we went to a Alpha group session at my brother's church. The kids were dressed up and had their own gathering in the basement while the adults had their Alpha session. They were simply requested to not wear anything that could be interpreted the wrong way. Some were dressed as hamburgers, fairies, can't remember them all. After the session, the kids had a fancy dress parade for the adults and got prizes.

If done correctly, it is a positive experience. I think it should be up to the parents to teach the children that it is just a fun thing. And to have the manners to say thank you for the sweets given. If you don't want to celebrate Halloween it is your own prerogative. Perhaps you would like to skip Christmas too as it was originally a pagan festival??............... :)

Yes, Christmas was originally a Pagan festival, still celebrated today and known as Yule - celebrated at mid winter. So too Easter was an adaptation of old Pagan rites, this one is known by Pagans as Ostara.

Biltongboer, I also think that you were a bit hasty and uninformed to label Halloween as Satanic, and it was insensitive of you to label kids as Satanic idiots... Come on! You cannot be serious..?! The Christian adaptation of Samhain (Halloween) is known as All Hallows' Eve. So exactly what is Satanic about the old Pagan ways and Holy Days when they are still celebrated today in Christianity?

Polly, you are doing what any good mother would do. You are making the transition for your kids as easy as possible for them, and they are indeed making new positive memories of their new lives in Australia. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

I was also expecting a backlash from the post, but was pleasantly surprised at the positive reaction. Until Halloween came around. Then the attacks seemed to come out of the woodwork. I am gonna ignore any attacks in future as if they weren't even mentioned.

Edited by polly