The big step

Guest Karla

Now, I collect all sorts of articles from News24 because if my child asks me one day why we decided to leave SA I can supply her with ample reasons, at a stage I started to collect stories about schools in SA as well. People in SA must not think they live in this perfect school environment the only difference is that in SA we hide these kinds of things and in Oz they would rather talk about it and not constantly hiding the problems all schools in the world face.

Dankie Johan, dis 'n baie goeie idee :ilikeit: - ek is seker jou "plakboek" v News24 stories vorder fluks! Goeie raad, gaan dit beslis ook doen. 'n Mens vergeet mos na die tyd die slegte en onthou net die goeie.

Groete Tania

Dankie Dreamy!

Terloops, ek is mal oor jou "naam" - mag jy net die mooiste drome raakvang!

Groete

Tania

Every couple of days I go into News24 and in the keywords section I type "Pretoria" (because that's where I still live). Then I ignore all the rugby talk and read all the articles.

I did this yesterday morning, and ended up locking myself in my office with a key because I got so nervous. It was a beautiful sunny Saturday morning with birds singing all around my house, but I knew somewehere, close by, something bad was definitely happening to an innocent person.

I can honestly say it ruined my day.

No, I don't think I will make a scrap-book, I don't really want to remember these things too much (as if we could forget...). If my family is spared I will just be gratefull. :D:unsure::ilikeit:

Bronwyn

My point being : Did anyone else ever had doubts about going? Was it a clear cut case of Yes, we will be able to do this? I'm feeling so much conflict regarding this and isn't even slightly looking forward to the move.

Maybe you all think I'm a spoilt brat and doesn't have my priorities right - but I don't want to go (the way I'm currently feeling). As I said - I know its best for our kids, but I'm still very down in the dumps about having to leave the life I have behind.

Karla, I have the deepest of sympathies for the doubts that plague your days and nights. And the answer is YES, I don't think there is ONE person who didn't have doubts about emigrating from South Africa. I can assure you that we ALL love the country that we came from, and we all had doubts, and sometimes even now STILL have doubts about whether we did the right thing. So rest assured, that is a natural reaction to the notion of emigration.

I think Bob came the closest to the truth when he said that some people need to "warm" to the idea of change. Not everyone reaches a conclusion of this magnitude in a hurry. I am encouraged that you ARE actually thinking about it - this shows your responsibility towards your children. So whether you finally decide to emigrate or stay, take your time, get all your ducks in a row, this is not a decision to be taken lightly. Also count yourself fortunate that SAAustralia and all these wonderful folks are here to help you with 1st hand experiences and advice (albeit sometimes calling a spade a #%#$% shovel!).

And lastly do have a look around; the world is your oyster. Australia is certainly not the only place you can go to. We have two other forums for Canada and the USA too (just click on the red bars beneath the SAAustralia logo up top) with equally helpful folk for those countries.

:ilikeit: Hendie

Emigration is a very traumatic experience - no matter what your reasons for emigrating, how driven & motivated you are or how adaptable. It is NOT easy, and therefor, not an easy decision. I hope you will find the answer in yourself and the contentment to live with that. I know what it's like to be at that point in your life!

Hi Karla,

We too had a good life and a couple years back my husband started to nag me to move to Australia and i was unsure and went totally against it. I felt comfortable and stable here, also had a nice job, nice house, the works. And then one day it all turned. Lost the house, lost the jobs and had to go backwards, and why? Because, all of a sudden, hubby couldn't get a decent job in the country. Now, we have a nice home and all we need again, but hubby works 3 months at a time away in Africa. In a full year, we only get to see him for 8 weeks. And it hurts to hear my 7 year old son say to me: "Mom, i wish my dad was here, i miss him", and it hurts to tuck him in at night and say: "Mommy loves you, and so does daddy, even though he can't be here right now" And there my husband sits in the middle of Africa stressing everyday, because he is worried about our safety and well being because he can't be here to protect us as he needs to be there to take care of us. Let me tell you, i wish i had left sooner. And now, now i can't wait to go. Next year, my family and I will board that aeroplane to Australia and i promise you now, we will never look back again!! And our reward? Our family will be together again at last, and this time for keeps....like it should be, safely. For us, it's worth the challenges. And from where I stand, it's easier to face and take on a new country, then it is to be apart as a family.

Didi

Hi Karla,

We too had a good life and a couple years back my husband started to nag me to move to Australia and i was unsure and went totally against it. I felt comfortable and stable here, also had a nice job, nice house, the works. And then one day it all turned. Lost the house, lost the jobs and had to go backwards, and why? Because, all of a sudden, hubby couldn't get a decent job in the country. Now, we have a nice home and all we need again, but hubby works 3 months at a time away in Africa. In a full year, we only get to see him for 8 weeks. And it hurts to hear my 7 year old son say to me: "Mom, i wish my dad was here, i miss him", and it hurts to tuck him in at night and say: "Mommy loves you, and so does daddy, even though he can't be here right now" And there my husband sits in the middle of Africa stressing everyday, because he is worried about our safety and well being because he can't be here to protect us as he needs to be there to take care of us. Let me tell you, i wish i had left sooner. And now, now i can't wait to go. Next year, my family and I will board that aeroplane to Australia and i promise you now, we will never look back again!! And our reward? Our family will be together again at last, and this time for keeps....like it should be, safely. For us, it's worth the challenges. And from where I stand, it's easier to face and take on a new country, then it is to be apart as a family.

Didi

Very VERY wise words Didi and how very brave of you to take such a big step!

You are so right in saying that you would rather live together as a family than live apart and for you, the sacrifice of starting over in a new country is worth it. It's so hard on the whole family unit when Mum or Dad works far away and yes, i applaude you for being brave and for taking the big step that so many of these brave people on this forum have already done. Your reward? Probably really hard to start off with but life in a new country that seems to be very family- friendly. All the best!

Hi Everyone,

What everyone says in this discussion is all true. For myself and my man, we are young and think to ourselves how things have changed since we were young and could play in the streets with friends and walk to the shops...NOW you can't be safe in your own house and garden...

We love life here because we have great friends and family, but where is our future - simply, there isn't one...qualified we struggle with work due to regulations and so forth, we have been robbed 4 times in 6 months, car broken into 6 times, friends kidnapped, friends beaten up with hammers, road rage, stress...to name but a few and we are only 24.

Its come to the point that both our parents our pushing hard for us to go due to fear for the future, and the future of our children one day...

I see it as a positive challenge, that will help us grow further, meet more amazing people and get to know a new way of life, otherwise I know there will be what-if's later if i don't try it out now..

and yes, we are so SCARED because its new and will be hard on our own at the start, if you not scared even a little then something's wrong...

Living life in the present is great, but where is your path going, what is your vision for the future and how can you make it happen...

Ciao

Chand's

I am soooooo excited to move to Australia. Nothing would be able to keep me here. We are not scared about moving at all we can't wait! The only thing that scares me is not getting the visa.

Making new friend are easy and with a forum like this I am positive we will have all the support we need.