Macaw parrot (9 months old)

Good Witch

Hi,

Our precious baby, a Blue & Gold Macaw (Barthemaeus, aka Bart or Bartie) is not allowed to accompany us to Australia. Birds are not allowed... :(

We will be looking for a good home for Bartie who will be celebrating his 1st birthday on November 30th. We are considering donating him to the World of Birds in Hout Bay as we think he will enjoy the stimulation of the people who visit the world of birds on a daily basis... and he would be able to give so much joy to others, as he has given to us...

However, if someone here knows of a better home for our beloved parrot, a home where he'll receive lots of love and attention from his new human parents, please let us know...

Bartie comes with a big attractive cage (on wheels), and with an attitude the size of Australia! :whome: At such times he reverts to his alter ego, that of "terrorist", which is why we sometimes refer to him as Bartie-Bin-Laden too. :lol: He's absolutely adorable, very funny, and still just a little baby who loves to cuddle and coo... he has brought us SO much joy, and is very entertaining. :whome::lol::jester:

He loves his human mommy & daddy very much, :wub: and we are REALLY sad to leave him behind, but hope that we can find an excellent home for him. :hug: Bartie is young enough to successfully adapt to new 'parents' without much or any stress at all. :)

Typically macaws can reach ripe old-ages of 70 years and more. He'll be a companion for life! ;)

If you know of a suitable home for Bartie, please, please let us know... :excl:

Thanks a mil

Rgds

Bartie's 'mom' Andi

I have a friend who is mad about her Alex and has mentioned wanting to another bird. Will ask her if she's keen and send you her details if she is....

I have a friend who is mad about her Alex and has mentioned wanting to another bird. Will ask her if she's keen and send you her details if she is....

Thanks Eva, I appreciate it!

:whome:

I would love to take him so badly as i live alone and it does get lonely, i love animals! (Maybe i should just get a boyfriend... :whome::lol: )

It wouldn't be fair to adopt an animal like that just to give him away again though, as were also leaving end of '09. My boss is big on birds though, ill ask her if she'd be interested.

Gzzzzzz My mom love birds. keep me in mind if you don't get a home please !

Gzzzzzz My mom love birds. keep me in mind if you don't get a home please !

Fabulous, thanks for the response. Please PM me your email address so that I can contact you if need be.

My boss is big on birds though, ill ask her if she'd be interested.

Great, thank you...

Also know of someone who'd be interested. They LOVE animals and have a few of these birds themselves - their house & backyard look like a zoo! (Cats, dogs, birds, ducks, fish, name it.....) They took our cats and they're spoilt rotten!! PM me if you still need a home for the bird and I'll send you their contact details. (Oops, didn't check where you live - they are in Centurion...)

Also know of someone who'd be interested. They LOVE animals and have a few of these birds themselves - their house & backyard look like a zoo! (Cats, dogs, birds, ducks, fish, nae it.....) They took our cats and they're spoilt rotten!! PM me if you still need a home for the bird and I'll send you their contact details. (Oops, didn't check where you live - they are in Centurion...)

Hi Riekie,

We are in Cape Town... But hey, thanks for the thought none-the-less... very kind of you.

I'm so happy for you that your cats are in a good home (and being spoilt rotten!) :wub:

Someone on the forum PM'd me offering a potential 'foster' arrangement until the Aus laws are changed to allow birds into the country, at which time hubby & I can bring our beloved Bartie to Aus... We are intrigued as we did not consider this until now... We are thinking of following up on this very generous and kind-hearted offer. Will keep you all updated though.

Fortunately we aren't leaving immediately, and will still have a few months with Barthemaeus before the big move.

Thanks so everyone who has posted possible solutions to our problem. We appreciate it!

Andi & Gunther

errrr.... & Bartie :ilikeit:

Someone on the forum PM'd me offering a potential 'foster' arrangement until the Aus laws are changed to allow birds into the country,

Do you have some more information regarding the changing of the laws? We have an African Grey which we would like to bring over.

Do you have some more information regarding the changing of the laws? We have an African Grey which we would like to bring over.

No I don't sorry... I think what they were saying was that they are keping an eye on the laws, and in the event of them changing we may be able to bring our birds through... Here's crossing fingers!

I don't think there is much hope of a change, not with birdflu showing no signs of abating.

Hi Andi

Jammer om te hoor van julle probleem.

My vrou sal mal wees daar oor om n macaw te kry dis die enigste papegaai wat sy in die huis sal toelaat.

Ons is in Durbanville, wat nie te ver van julle is nie.

So as julle nog vir Bartie het hou ons maar in gedagte.

Gerhard & Liesel

I know how you feel, i gave my Conures away 3 weeks ago, i miss them but they have the best home ever. I think the people who took my birds would be keen to help you out but we are in DBN. They only have birds, no other pets, so they wonder around the house free and only go in cages at night or when the family is out.

Let me know if you dont find a home.

Candice

I know how you feel, i gave my Conures away 3 weeks ago, i miss them but they have the best home ever. I think the people who took my birds would be keen to help you out but we are in DBN. They only have birds, no other pets, so they wonder around the house free and only go in cages at night or when the family is out.

Let me know if you dont find a home.

Candice

Thank you Candice, I'll do that... And thanks to everyone who has responded and shown an interest in Bartie's future, we appreciate it so much!

Best rgds

Andi

Hi Andi

Jammer om te hoor van julle probleem.

My vrou sal mal wees daar oor om n macaw te kry dis die enigste papegaai wat sy in die huis sal toelaat.

Ons is in Durbanville, wat nie te ver van julle is nie.

So as julle nog vir Bartie het hou ons maar in gedagte.

Gerhard & Liesel

Hello Gerhard & Liesel,

Dankie vir julle boodskap, ons sal julle ook in gedagte hou wanneer ons 'n besluit oor Bartie moet maak. Sodra ons die visas het, maak ons 'n besluit oor Bartie se toekomstige tuiste.

Dankie almal vir die belangstelling - thanks everyone for the interest!

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Africvision

I can only imagine what a difficult decision this is.....to have to give away you parrot is heart breaking.

If youy have friends going to new Zealand or in New Zealand, send Bartie to new Zealand....he can then be imported to Australia from there. The only birds

that are permitted to be imported into Australia are birds that are/have been resident in new Zealnd.

Its probably a very expensive option, but to replace at macaw in Australia comes at the princly sum of $10 000.00 for a hand reared bird :rolleyes:

So that might be an option for you to explore.

Cheers

Enrica

Hi Enrica,

Gee... I didn't even consider this possibiliy... We do actually have friends in NZ... Thanks for this possible approach, I will look into it and see whether we could possibly get Bartie into Aus via NZ.

Hmmm... That's a really brilliant suggestion, thanks!!! Will definitely look into it!

Cheers

Andi

Hi Enrica,

Do you maybe have a link or more info on the NZ route? How long will they need to stay in NZ before coming over to Aus?

This is the best news ever, you have just made my day!! :ilikeit:

Sorry Guyts I dont have a link for New Zealand.

A few months ago , I called the Quarantine Office in Canberra for a ruling on an African Grey Parrot as my brother as an African Grey.

And was told defintly no no......but that if he were sent to New Zealand, they would then allow the bird into Australia.

How much time etc etc in New Zealand , not sure on that score and did not investigate this further as it wud not be an option for my brother

You can try this website for information and email them for a ruling......please explain clearly that the macaw is a family pet!!!

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity...irds/index.html

Cheers

Enrica

Edited by Enrica

Thanks for the link and the info Enrica. I will follow-up with them about this.

Rgds

Andi

Hi Andi

I could help you with a home - close friend of ours is a hairdresser from home, and as a passion she has an avery and many birds, including a few macaws and so forth - they are extremely well loved and looked after...so if you need to or would like me to get more info or you wanna meet her let me know....

I have grown up around african greys, dogs, cats...whole farm...even i will consider

Hi Andi

I could help you with a home - close friend of ours is a hairdresser from home, and as a passion she has an avery and many birds, including a few macaws and so forth - they are extremely well loved and looked after...so if you need to or would like me to get more info or you wanna meet her let me know....

I have grown up around african greys, dogs, cats...whole farm...even i will consider

Hi Chandi,

Aren't you planning on migrating too? If it was possible to take Bartie with us to Aus we would. I am going to investigate the possibility of taking him via NZ though, as discussed earlier on this thread... If that is not possible, or too expensive, then we will have no choice but to find him a good home here in ZA :blink:

Thanks for the offer though, :rolleyes: I will definitely consider all options once we know - for sure - when we are leaving and that we cannot take him with us.

Best wishes

Andi

hi there

Yes we are, but i'm estimating we'll hear about this time next year then have roughly a year to move, so depending on the urgency i can assist....

Thats great, i hope you find a way to take him, animals are so dear, but at least you have options if its not possible of a few good homes...but i hope its not necessary..

keep us posted

Thanks Chandi.

Macaw's can typically reach the ripe old-age of 70 years. Bartie isn't even a year old yet... So I am hoping that if we cannot take him with us we can at least find a permanent home for him; somewhere where he can grow up and grow old... This is one of the reasons why we are considering donating him to World of Birds in Houtbay. The chances are pretty good that they will still be around for a good many more years!

But, until I know for certain that we cannot take him with us, I am hoping that we can find a way, somehow... maybe thru NZ.

Rgds

Andi