Going back? Not me!

aussie girl

Question

Hi,

I think all of us living in Australia who still have family in South Africa have thought of going back, i have often thought of going back but when i speak to my family that side and hear all the things happening over there i am so glad i am in Australia. I live in a wonderful place called the Whitsundays and it is beautiful and peaceful i have two children and that is the reason we decided to come to Australia so that we can give them a better life and my kids have really adjusted well this side. So my decision is NOT to go back because we have a much better life this side.

Aussie Girl

Hi Andre

Thanks for your post. I feel the same as you.

I am glad to be in Australia but find myself thinking about what we gave up to be here. Somedays i feel that i would have rather stayed in South Africa. As ek aan my familie en Suid Afrika dink, dan dink ek, was dit regtig so erg, want mens pas aan en vergeet maklik. Onthou net die nice en goeie goed, vergeet vinnig hoe ons gebly het in tronke in ons eie huise. Hier raak mens weer so vinnig gewoond aan die huise sonder heinings en diefwering, en ek dink dat die Australianers so bevoorreg is om so te kan bly en hulle besef dit nie, want vir hulle is dit normaal.

If you are still in SA and read this post, you will think, what is it with these people they should be so lucky be be in Aus. Well i am, but it is very difficult to start over. We are in our 40's and maybe have a little bit more issues than younger people.

Even if you think that your skills is on the demand list and that the Australians cant be without you, there is no welcoming banners and the Aussies is nice people, but they dont care where you come from and what you went through to get here.

Just my 2c

Cheers vir eers

Sheila2Oz

I had to try to explain to my child why someone wanted to hurt his grandfather. I had no answers for him. I don't think my children will want to come back.

We have already told the family we will fly them out for visits. We will not come back. The whole family is trying to leave. Even my cousins. We have quite a few plans in place to get them all out once we are there. Somehow we will do it.

I used to be able to understand why people would come back. After last week, I cannot anymore. It must be "It cannot happen to me..."

So what if we are going to be poor. I can walk on the beach with my children. I don't have to fear every noise and every person who walks too close to me.

Sorry if I sound bitter.

Polly - you don't sound bitter at all. You're just being honest - and realistic.

I cannot even begin to imagine what you must be going through right now - but I do agree with you that many people are held back by the 'won't ever happen to us' thing.

Crime and violence does not discriminate.

Leigh