employer sponsored 457 Temporary Visa

dirtbike

I have signed a 4 year contract to work for a company that is willing to sponsor the 457 Visa for me. :ilikeit:

I have been in contact with a migration agent and was really excited about everything until they sent me there costs. I almost fell off my chair. I would like to know how many people that have been in the same situation have done the application themselves and still been successful. If I use the migration agents are your chances any better? and what exactly do they do for you?

I have signed a 4 year contract to work for a company that is willing to sponsor the 457 Visa for me. :ilikeit:

I have been in contact with a migration agent and was really excited about everything until they sent me there costs. I almost fell off my chair. I would like to know how many people that have been in the same situation have done the application themselves and still been successful. If I use the migration agents are your chances any better? and what exactly do they do for you?

Congratualtions on the job offer!!

Just one small point... I thought that the 457 Visa was done by the sponsoring company... why are you doing it?

Am I mistaken forumites?

I also thought that .....what now ??? :ilikeit:

The sponsoring company will be paying there share of the costs but I need to pay the 'migration agent' fee's etc. They have quoted me AUS$3,200 for them to begin the application. I could do this myself online but I dont want to jeprodise my chances. My problem is that I dont have that kind of money saved up as this has come up unexpectedly and hence the thinking of doing the application myself...

I was told by the employment agency that I need to apply for the Visa and that they recommend I do it through a migration agency.

The company needs to do the sponsor and nomination. They then need to give you your TRN number and you can do the rest on your own online.

DIAC will match you to the job by the TRN number. Hope this helps

Edited by Paulsf

Thanks for that info Paul. I never knew that I should be given a TRN number. I think the company has forwarded the TRN number onto the nominated migration agent and not to me directly.

To honest all this has come up unexpectedly and I do not know much about the whole application process.

I know it probably seems pretty daunting as it has all happened at once and they company has recommended using an agent BUT - I think you can do it yourself and save yourself some money in the process.

We were initially going to use an agent for our PR application but the agent's costs just seemed ridiculous so we decided to try it ourselves and agreed that if we got to a point where we were stuck we would approach an agent. So far we have just submitted the app and with the help of the forum and the immi site we've been ok on our own.

Get the TRN number and then post away on this site. I have no doubt you will have an answer to any question within 24 hours!!

Good luck

Kim

Hi Dirtbike

Its a pleasure, take a look at this book let from the DIAC site ( http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1154.pdf ). All your questions on a 457 will be answered in this book. It is a bit long but comprehencesive. I gave a copy of this book to the company who is sponsoring me as they have never done it before. Its informative to both applicant and employer.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks all for the fantastic response. One thing that is bothering me about doing the application myself is that I have a offence on my PCC (Police clearance certificate). I was caught with possesion of marijuana (a tiny amount) about 12 years ago and had to pay a fine of R120. When I had to get a PCC for a working visa for USA about 6 years ago I saw the offence was on there. I still got the visa for USA...

What exactly do these migration agents do for you? There service is extremely expensive...

We using an agent for our PR visa, all they do is cross check every thing and make sure its all right. They take way to long in my opinion and cost alot. We have still ended up doing all the work. We only using them for the PR and proberbly do the 457 ourselfs when I get the TRN number. By using the agent for the PR we have done all the ground work for the 457. Check the book I PM'd you and you will see its pretty easy once you are well read.

Hi dirtbike

I guess agent have a purpose, but as far as I am concerned whether or not you use an agent will not have any impact (positive or negative) on whether or not your visa gets approved. Visa decisions are fact based against the visa criteria and the evidence you submit.

To my knowledge a police clearence certificate is not one of the criteria for a 457 unlike some other visas like the skilled independent permanent res application. We came over on a 457 and did not need a PCC, only IELTS, passport, job offer and the application form. Have a read through the websites and booklets to confirm the exact criteria, but like I say, we definately did not submit a PCC on ours.

Hi dirtbike

Good news - no PCC needed for a 457 as far as I know. A friend left for Sydney 3 weeks ago on a 457 and did it all herself. All she needed was a chest x-ray.

Hope all that smoking wont show up on the chest x-ray!!! :thumbdown:

Good luck

Kim

PS Other good news it that you usually dont need to do IELTS either (unless company requests it I think)

Other 457ers will be able to confirm.

LOL! Thanks Kim

I have a feeling they will request a PCC when I submit the details regarding the offence on my application. I think it will be better to mention it on the application just in case they ask for a PCC and then see I have a offence.

We using an agent for our PR visa

What is a PR visa?

Can you tell me what information you had to get in order to complete the 457 visa yourself?

Edited by dirtbike

Hi Dirtbike,

If you do not have to use an immigration agent then go alone and save the $3200. But just a word of advise - you cannot live forever on a 457 in Aus. At some point you would want to convert to PR. For PR all those things like PCC, IELTS etc are necessary. If I was you I would check up on the criminal conviction. It would be silly to make a huge expensive move to Aus and then find you can never live here permanently. Remember that on a 457, if you lose the job you have to leave the country in 28 days. If this had to happen after say 3 years when you well and truly settled here, you could be in a pickle.

Jordy

Hi Dirtbike,

If you do not have to use an immigration agent then go alone and save the $3200. But just a word of advise - you cannot live forever on a 457 in Aus. At some point you would want to convert to PR. For PR all those things like PCC, IELTS etc are necessary. If I was you I would check up on the criminal conviction. It would be silly to make a huge expensive move to Aus and then find you can never live here permanently. Remember that on a 457, if you lose the job you have to leave the country in 28 days. If this had to happen after say 3 years when you well and truly settled here, you could be in a pickle.

Jordy

Thanks for the advice. I would be happy just to get the 457 visa for the moment. I can do the application for a presidential pardon and try and clear my PCC. Lucky for me I dont have much tying me down here so the move will be pretty straight forward over there.

What is a PR visa?

Can you tell me what information you had to get in order to complete the 457 visa yourself?

PR=Permenent Residance

After going through the application forms I think I am going to do it myself. Unless I am missing something I dont see how they can justify charging me AUS$3200...

My application is straight forward, not married, no children etc.

Now do I do the application online or fill out the forms and send it via snail mail? Any comments?