Which Anti Virus Program?

Enrica

Thanks for all your comments. I have uninstalled Nortons and am trying the AVG "free" program, the kids seem happy enough, I just have a concern that there is no firewall etc, but I can always purchase the Internet security. Second option is to go with Trend , as this is one of the only "few" programs that I can purchase at a store. The rest I can download , but I think this is the way I will go.

Thanks to all of you for your amazing input.

Thanks Guys , the lesson was appreciated.

We use McAfee at work and it sucks, AVG catches more worms and virusses.

Another tip: Most A/V has "heuristic scanning" this feature means it tries to identify unknown threats(aka virusses) and this feature alone makes it slow, if you can stop it from doing heuristic scanning it should make it MUCH faster.

My bit for IT bliss.

PS. Remember that we IT people don't earn as much as people think thats why we all use free versions. ;-)

I used Grisoft free version long ago and it wasn't half bad. Mcafee should be avoided, especially at home! :) After some time using it, mine downoaded the new virus files which were 10's of expensive SA MBytes and then did not update the files! :) After 2 Months of "virtual chats" via mail with some weird sounding names from somewhere in the universe (from McAfee support), who all gave the same advice, I gave up and uninstalled it. :ilikeit: I then purchased Panda with some mates (3 licences) and we are all very happy with it. :ilikeit: Good Luck!

Hans

AVG - great and free! Some of the commercial AV's like Norton are actually worse than actual virus'

If you gonna pay go for NOD 32

hello people

im am for nortin nortan what ever coz i have tryed the others and have had the bugs worms get to me.

what i have had was a desk top and now a laptop and i have installed the max ram and hard drive in this way you get a fast speed and what ever you put on does not slow it down

derek

As you can see even the IT bofs can’t agree. Having tried a few AV’s I’ll give my 2C here. A free Antivirus program is worth as much as you pay for it. Yes you want internet security. You might have to choose between it being user friendly, effective against viruses and being fast or at least two of those.

NOD 32 is definitely the fastest AV here and in my opinion as good as the best. AVAST is more user friendly, faster than Norton (but slower than NOD32) and effective against viruses. I tried AVG and wasn’t impressed by it at all. The same for the others except Bit Defender which I haven’t tried.

When my Norton AV expires it’s back to ESET for sure.

or... if all else fails... buy a Mac... Mac's don't get viruses at all! Solves the AV dilemma!

or... if all else fails... buy a Mac... Mac's don't get viruses at all! Solves the AV dilemma!

Yup, that’s true. But I’m sure you’ll see more and more viruses on Mac’s as they become more popular.

, I just have a concern that there is no firewall etc,

Thanks to all of you for your amazing input.

Commodo or Zonealarm will do fine for firewall and Spybot Search and Destroy for the rest of the peskies :whome:

Go to www.filehippo.com they have most of the latest downloads

• 2 months later...

I just got Norton 2008 360 a couple of weeks ago, so far it’s behaving well. I was going to get ESET, but decided to give this a go.

Must agree, AVG Spybot are brilliant and free of charge. Go to www.download.com

Had AVG on all my pc's and up to date no problems at all.

Neville

• 2 weeks later...

Every AV program has it's postive and negative points.

Norton has more negatives than most.

AVG has been my free recommendation to the users on our campus for quite a while... Not that impressed with the AVG 8 though. It's pretty resource intensive it seems.

If you're gonna spend money take a look at the latest release from Panda or Sophos. Sophos has remarkable user feedback!!!

I went with the majorities recommendation on the AVG FREE for my kids computers and it is working very well thank you.

I decided to go with CA Security on my laptop and desktop PC, so far so good. Updates its self, has all those extras that I wanted, but was advised not to install the firewall part of the program(after I bought it) ...seems a bit pointless . But its not a resource hog and seem to to its job.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Regards

Enrica