Which Anti Virus Program?

Enrica

Greetings All

My kids Nortons Anti Virus and Internet security is due for renewal in the next 21 days.

My problem is that I need to renew which is fine I can do that, but the boys are complainning that Nrotons Slows there computer down.

Can you fundis out there recommend another AntiVirus/Internet Security program that I can buy that is better than Nortons?

You recommendations woul;d really be appreciated

Thanks

Enrica :cry:

Download AVG. Its good and there is a basic free version available

NOD32 is way faster, wont be easy to find tho

You can have a look here: http://www.eset.com/

Thanks Gerhard,

It appears that I can purchase online, is it pretty easy to install? Does it have any compatability issues with Nortons once its installed I mean if there are any leftover Nortons Files - would you know?

Thanks

Enrica

Thanks Gerhard,

It appears that I can purchase online, is it pretty easy to install? Does it have any compatability issues with Nortons once its installed I mean if there are any leftover Nortons Files - would you know?

Thanks

Enrica

I don’t have it anymore but from what I can remember it is pretty easy to install. My new computer has Norton still, for now anyway.

When you install new antivirus software you generally have to uninstall previous antivirus software. That should do it. You probably want ESET Smart Security not just NOD32 if you want internet security as well.

Greetings All

My kids Nortons Anti Virus and Internet security is due for renewal in the next 21 days.

My problem is that I need to renew which is fine I can do that, but the boys are complainning that Nrotons Slows there computer down.

Can you fundis out there recommend another AntiVirus/Internet Security program that I can buy that is better than Nortons?

You recommendations woul;d really be appreciated

Thanks

Enrica :lol:

Enrica

We had Norton on all our laptops, but slow is quite fast with what we experienced.

We are using AVAST, and it's working quite well for us, as we are on-line most of the times.

you'll find them at "www.avast.com"

I agree. Norton really sucks

I'm also using AVAST. It updates regularly, its free and it works 100%

Stop playing around with useless AV products.

Install Bitdefender................. :lol:

(I own IT company and work with AV software everyday)

If you decide on Eset,i got a "swopping over" discount when i bought it back in April.

Bought it down to R377 for the eset smart security suite.(the one that includes the firewall)

As your Nortons still valid that should apply i would think.

Can pm you the contact details of who to contact if you decide you want to go that way.

For performance its the least likely A/V to slow things down like Norton does.

I changed from Kaspersky to it..

It works well

For uninstalling Norton

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallnorton.shtml

Edited by 2un@

Poor Enrica, now you know never to ask a question like that on here again

:lol:

Norton on my PC/Laptop - never again.

I use F-Secure.

But if you want freeware, best is AVG in my opinion.

Hi,

I also vote for AVG, it is great.

Jill

My husband is a MAJOR IT boffin, and he recommends these, which are for free :whome:

Free:

http://www.clamwin.com/

http://free.grisoft.com/

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Eisheeeee.....................................................

Confusion reigns, I dont necessarily want a "free" AV pgrogram, I amvery happy to pay as long as the thing works and I can get my kids off my back

But thank you for all the suggestions so far it looks like ESET 2votes for that because it has Internet security as well.

All the IT boffins out there , I am happy to pay for my AVP and Internet Security so what say ye now?

But than you guys , thats extremly helpful, most reckon that Nortons is a problem , so thats enough reason to change.

Another vote for AVG

Hello Godan,

I too used to use Norton, but found that it slowed my PC down to a snails pace. :ilikeit: Switched to Micro PC-cillin in 2006. PC runs MUCH faster, and when I installed and ran Trend, it found 5 bugs that norton (with latest updates) had not detected. :lol:

Note that you must completely uninstall norton before loading the new AV. Read the manual......

Cost for Trend is USD50 from local retailer, and you can renew over internet when the initial one year is up. If your local retailer does not sell the boxed version, you should be able to make the initial purchase over internet from their website.

Tex.

I vote AVG. Please dont let the free bit put you off. Its brilliant. But you can by the AVG version that is for sale.

Enrica, if you REALLY want to be rid of viruses, get a Mac! :rolleyes:

But seriously, I would have to agree that AVG is by far the easiest en best supported Anti-Virus for the PC today, and as has been said before, there IS a commercial version (I have a 5 seat license) if you really WANT to pay. However, the free version is perfectly good, and keeps itself updated every day.

Good luck!

We use McAfee at work and it sucks, AVG catches more worms and virusses.

Another tip: Most A/V has "heuristic scanning" this feature means it tries to identify unknown threats(aka virusses) and this feature alone makes it slow, if you can stop it from doing heuristic scanning it should make it MUCH faster.

My bit for IT bliss.

PS. Remember that we IT people don't earn as much as people think thats why we all use free versions. ;-)

Like everything else, avoid viruses by abstinence ....

The problem with "free" antivirus is you get what you pay for...in AVG free's case = no support (because you didn't pay for it) nowhere to complain if it breaks and ruins your system etc.

Personally I believe in Trend Micro's products so much I certified myself as one of their engineers. Whenever my sister and her clan bring me their misbehaving PC's with NOD32 or AVG on it I load a trial copy of Trend and Viola! PC working.

Now I'm in the IT security game and I've tried (with no success) to purposefully infect my PC, but Trend outsmarts me all the time