Law Students studying through UNE

Kerry-Lea

Hallo Pippa,

Jy is omtrent al 'n "legend in your own lunchtime" met jou uiteensetting van hoe jou man te werk gegaan het om toegelaat te word1 - die SAffer-praktisyns hier het dit tot en met die veranderinge in April van een na die ander aangestuur. Baie dankie vir jou moeite daarmee; ek glo dit het baie ander (soos ook vir my) baie gehelp. Ek moes ook Equity & Trusts doen (sien my post van 24 Junie hierbo). Die mense wat al property law ook gedoen het, beweer equity & trusts is die moeilikste. Sê asseblief vir my dat dit waar is?

Ek gaan jou waarskynlik so in die middel van volgende jaar pla om te help met die detail van die toelating self ook. Hierdie forum is 'n goudmyn en almal het aandele!

Het iemand dalk êrens riglyne/wenke/voorbeelde gekry vir die aansoek vir praktiese vrystelling? Ek het op die algemene riglyne by vorm 17 gewerk. Ek praktiseer al vir 12 jaar en dog dat ek 'n goeie opsomming gegee het van wat ek in die tyd gedoen het. Ek het nou hulle antwoord teruggekry en die ouens sê ek moet meer detail verskaf.

Terloops moet ek volgens my akademiese evaluasie vier vakke doen, soos lyk vir my die meeste ander ook. Ek begin ook nou in Julie.

JohnK

John,

Dit lyk my dis maar die "luck of the draw". Ek en 'n prokureur-vriendin het ons aansoeke vir praktiese vrystelling so saam-saam gedoen, en ek het vrystelling van 'n paar vakke gekry, terywl hulle hare ook teruggestuur het met die versoek vir meer detail. Ek sal vir jou my poging aanstuur - PM my.

Hi All,

Hallo Pippa,

Jy is omtrent al 'n "legend in your own lunchtime" met jou uiteensetting van hoe jou man te werk gegaan het om toegelaat te word1 - die SAffer-praktisyns hier het dit tot en met die veranderinge in April van een na die ander aangestuur. Baie dankie vir jou moeite daarmee; ek glo dit het baie ander (soos ook vir my) baie gehelp. Ek moes ook Equity & Trusts doen (sien my post van 24 Junie hierbo). Die mense wat al property law ook gedoen het, beweer equity & trusts is die moeilikste. Sê asseblief vir my dat dit waar is?

Ek gaan jou waarskynlik so in die middel van volgende jaar pla om te help met die detail van die toelating self ook. Hierdie forum is 'n goudmyn en almal het aandele!

Weet nie regtig van die “legend†nie…hahaha :ilikeit: ! Ek help maar net waar ek kan, maar dit klink asof dinge baie verander het intussen… :ilikeit:

Het iemand dalk êrens riglyne/wenke/voorbeelde gekry vir die aansoek vir praktiese vrystelling? Ek het op die algemene riglyne by vorm 17 gewerk. Ek praktiseer al vir 12 jaar en dog dat ek 'n goeie opsomming gegee het van wat ek in die tyd gedoen het. Ek het nou hulle antwoord teruggekry en die ouens sê ek moet meer detail verskaf.

Terloops moet ek volgens my akademiese evaluasie vier vakke doen, soos lyk vir my die meeste ander ook. Ek begin ook nou in Julie.

JohnK

Have a look at College of Law. Click on the relevant subject for an overview of what the subject entails and make sure that you cover most of it as part of your motivation for Practical Exception. My husband also attached his curriculum of the PLT in SA to his motivation for their reference. The curriculum is a big file and can be obtained from the LSSA.

Good luck!

Pippa! X

Hi Everyone!

I have been "lurking" on this board for a couple of weeks! Finally decided to start posting.

I will be registering for UNE courses through Jackie Welch for the July Semester. Please note that the deadline for submissions for study in the 2nd Semester is THIS FRIDAY 4 JULY! :holy:

I am registering for LS 200 (Admin Law) and LS 282 (Real Property).

Jackie told me that information about other students is strictly confidential and hence off-limits. There is no problem with postings such as this and...it makes sense for us to try find each other out.

Is there anyone else out there in the Greater Jhb / Sandton area that is keen to share costs of textbooks, maybe form a study group??

I have no problem importing the necessary textbooks but it would be great to share this cost somehow (esp when you factor in the cost of having to courier the books to SA - Jackie says to forget any other method).

That being said, I have been in practice as an Advocate at the Jhb Bar for over 10 years and am very keen to move to Oz, but as a solicitor (I don't plan to join one of the de-facto Bars there at all).

Feel free to PM me.

Regards

Counsel007

• 2 weeks later...

:wacko: P is vir "pass".

Equity & Trusts geslaag - hie-haaa!

Well done Bees!! :lol: You r even better than the Boks! Hope you will be sharing your pearls of knowledge with those of us who still have to cross that bridge. :wacko: We have a little group going here in PE and would appreciate all the help we can get. Enjoy basking in the glory! Almost there, cheers :ilikeit:

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum, although I've been reading it for a while now.

I am also enrolled for Property and Admin law this semester. I hope it will be managable with work, family and everything.

I started over the weekend to draft my application for exemption. What a long process, it will take me the rest of the week to complete.

Thanks Bees for giving me your attempt, it really helps a lot and congrats on passing your exam. Now you are one step closer to the end.

Now I also have a question, it might be a stupid one but hear goes. UNE's website says that my study material was posted to 11 July. Myt question is, do they physically post it to your home address or does it get send to the UNE email address.

Regards,

vdw

Hi All,

I have no problem importing the necessary textbooks but it would be great to share this cost somehow (esp when you factor in the cost of having to courier the books to SA - Jackie says to forget any other method).

That being said, I have been in practice as an Advocate at the Jhb Bar for over 10 years and am very keen to move to Oz, but as a solicitor (I don't plan to join one of the de-facto Bars there at all).

I strongly suggest that you courier the text books... :whome: It will almost cost the price of the text book :unsure: , but when we imported my my husband's first set of text books, it was so late, that we ended up ordering another set via courier mail. Fortunately we managed to sell one set of text books to a lawyer (Logo on this forum) and gave the other set to a friend also doing his conversion exams. It is a good idea to share :ilikeit: ! Also try to make contact with other SA lawyers through the UNE Chat forum (I think i was called My UNE). Hubby met 2 other SA lawyers through the My UNE! Just introduce yourself...

Bees, congratulations with the pass :ilikeit::ilikeit: ! I remember how happy we were when my husband passed his first exams... Wait until you get on a Qantas flight for your admission in Sydney's Supreme Court :grads: !!!

Lovies, Pippa!

Hi all

Just discovered this topic and was wondering if anyone could give any advice!?

I am an admitted attorney but now lecture. I love it and have no desire to practice once in Aus (unless they have done away with billable hours and timesheets!!)

Do you think I will need to convert in order to lecture over there?

Help! :thumbdown:

Kim

PS Great topic - thanks Kerry-Lea

• 2 weeks later...
I strongly suggest that you courier the text books... :whome: It will almost cost the price of the text book :) , but when we imported my my husband's first set of text books, it was so late, that we ended up ordering another set via courier mail.

I can confirm this. I ordered my books on 12 July 2008 and haven't received them yet!

• 1 month later...

Law students - please note that Jackie Welch (see her contact details on Kerri-Lea's posting on page 1 of this thread) is the agent of both UNE and College of Law. She also does the exam invigilation, and not only very accomodating (I wrote in Kosmos on a Saturday) but it's a LOT cheaper than sitting the exam at the British Council (compare R588.00 to $300).

• 11 months later...

Greetings All,

Its been a while since we all touched base on whats up. How many of us are a step closer to the finish line? I only have Administrative law to complete then its a trip to Sydney for admission!!!

How are you all coping? i will be happy to provide assistance and encouragement where I can. Also have a few notes and summaries floating around for UNE subjects.

Hope to hear from you

heine

Hello Heine,

I've finished my courses through UNE (fortunately I was exempted from Admin. Law). I have three practical training courses through College of Law this semester, and hope to be admitted in Sydney at the April 2010 ceremony. When do you plan to go?

Regards,

Bees

Howzit Bees,

I just need to kick Admin's butt, at the moment it is a split decision with admin taking it on points... (Or in cricket terms, I need 8 an over going into the last 30 but at least I have all wickets in hand!)...

When in April is the ceremony? I was thinking of making the trip for the April ceremony too. I have a couple of friends here in PE that are putting wheels in motion to be admitted in December - they didn't have to do admin or they did it last year. I am using them as test cases and gathering as much info as possible in order to make sure things go as smoothly as possible for me.

I am waiting for my Trust & Office Accounting results, they should have been out last week but Auntie Virginia has chosen to keep us in suspense for a while longer. I am quietly confident tho.

Are you still in SA, hear your wife's visa was approved?

regards

heine

Heine,

I sent you a personal message.

Regards,

Bees

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bees, Heine & the rest,

I finished the IELTS exams and my four academic subjects in June and am currently busy with Trust and Office Accounting. I was somewhat surprised to see only about 8 students at the Equity exams. Last year there were more than 20 at the Property Law II exams. Thereafter it's Professional Responsibility, being the last hurdle. I plan to combine our LSD trip with my admission in Sydney in June/July 2010.

I had been under the impression that I first have to be admitted as a solicitor in Oz before I could apply for a 175 skilled visa. The agent has, however, advised me that I can base a 176 visa application on my managerial experience as a lawyer. According to the agent this option is available even if you only managed a few employees. I will gladly refer you to my agent (I got her company’s details on the forum). She seems very competent and helpful. I am sending my documents for the stage 1 skills assessment to her this week.

Although I did not expect to get work in Oz while in SA (I was previously told that you have to be in Oz to stand any realistic chance to be invited for an interview) some people have given me hope that it is indeed possible. I might therefore also start sending my CV and see what happens. Obviously it is not a good time to look for work anywhere in the world at this stage.

I'll probably have to wait for my visa and then go over to look for work in 2011, which will probably mean that I will have to resign from my current (pretty good) job. That is quite nerve-wracking!

I am not sure whether I need to send my academic UNE qualifications to the Admission Board now or whether I should wait till I finish my College of Law subjects as well. Can you perhaps advise me in this regard?

I would also be curious to know what your job hunting strategy is?

Cheers

Hi John,

If you can apply for PR with your managerial experience, I would strongly recommend that you do it :thumbdown: ! You can then complete your conversion exams whilst waiting for your PR to be processed.

My husband was admitted in March 2007 and managed to find employment (with a 457 visa) from South Africa (3 months after his NSW admission). You will be able to secure employment from SA if you have the right experience etc etc. I believe that the law firms in some regional areas are quite willing to look at lawyers from overseas.

Good luck with your PR application as well as your conversion exams.

Bye, Pippa!

See my comments below.

I finished the IELTS exams and my four academic subjects in June and am currently busy with Trust and Office Accounting. I was somewhat surprised to see only about 8 students at the Equity exams. Last year there were more than 20 at the Property Law II exams. Thereafter it's Professional Responsibility, being the last hurdle. I plan to combine our LSD trip with my admission in Sydney in June/July 2010. Almost there, then!

I had been under the impression that I first have to be admitted as a solicitor in Oz before I could apply for a 175 skilled visa. The agent has, however, advised me that I can base a 176 visa application on my managerial experience as a lawyer. According to the agent this option is available even if you only managed a few employees. I will gladly refer you to my agent (I got her company’s details on the forum). She seems very competent and helpful. I am sending my documents for the stage 1 skills assessment to her this week. Can't help there - we've been granted a 176 on my wife's qualifications and I did not need to consider that option - I'm too old to make the required points anyway.

Although I did not expect to get work in Oz while in SA (I was previously told that you have to be in Oz to stand any realistic chance to be invited for an interview) some people have given me hope that it is indeed possible. I might therefore also start sending my CV and see what happens. Obviously it is not a good time to look for work anywhere in the world at this stage. I don't see why you shouldn't apply before leaving for Aus. - I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum about people interviewing candidates via Skype.

I'll probably have to wait for my visa and then go over to look for work in 2011, which will probably mean that I will have to resign from my current (pretty good) job. That is quite nerve-wracking!

I am not sure whether I need to send my academic UNE qualifications to the Admission Board now or whether I should wait till I finish my College of Law subjects as well. Can you perhaps advise me in this regard? As far as I know, you lodge your application for admission on a prescribed form, and attach your two LPAB determinations with your academic and practical legal training results and send in the whole lot.

I would also be curious to know what your job hunting strategy is? No plan yet, but I'm toying with the idea of applying for a job as legal advisor on a contract basis just to have something when I get there, and then to make a decision when I'm a bit more settled in.

Cheers

Bees

Edited by Bees

Greetings all,

As far as I am aware the process is as follows: get assessed (prac and acc) - do the necessary courses (prac and acc) - get assessed AGAIN - Get a "clean assessment" - apply for admission!

I have a few friends here that are going thru the whole procedure at the moment, will keep you all posted on their findings.

Looks like there should be a bunch of us getting admitted at the February and April admission ceremonies.

There should be substantially less people sitting for the prac exams as they are held far more regularly than the UNE exams (and thankfully are a lot easier, would rather be doing 4 prac subjects than tackling the mountain that is Administrative Law...)

regards

Heine

Edited by heine77

• 10 months later...

Greetings all,

Just wanted to add that I was admitted on 9 April in the Supreme Court of NSW.

I would be happy to provide assistance/advice on the conversion process.

Now just the hard part of getting a visa!!!

Heine..you lucky thing!!

Im at the start of the PLT...anyone going through College of Law is welcome to contact me for advice/help or a study-buddy!